• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Movie Soundtracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to a newfound love for disney movies I nominate Disney Enchanted.

dM7ZJr6.jpg

The happy go lucky vocal tracks are awesome.
Alan Menken is such a talented guy.

Symphonic

On man I could go on for potentially forever. This year's best is easily Mad Max: Fury Road so far. All of Pixar's output is incredible, even the Cars stuff. King Kong is the GOAT old school score.

John William's best work is actually his non-scores, IMO. Check out "American Journey". Although the Jurassic Park and Force themes are two of the best of all time.

watershed

Banned
I'm a huge John Williams fan. Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are both amazing front to back. But one soundtrack that has me absolutely hooked lately is The Mission by Ennio Morricone. It is unbelievable. The earthiness of the wind section and the choral work is fantastic. Also Out of Africa by John Barry.

omgkitty

It Follows
Halloween III
Blade Runner
Solaris
Drive
Everything by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
Interstellar
Assault on Precinct 13
The Beyond
Her
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Under the Skin
Elevator to the Gallows
Only God Forgives
The Master
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Room 237

I listen to a lot of soundtracks....

All of John Williams' Star Wars soundtracks are fantastic.

In recent memory I've been fond of Giacchino's Star Trek music and Hans Zimmer's Interstellar OST was excellent.

LordAmused

Inherent Vice from Paul Thomas Anderson, adapted from Thomas Pynchon's novel. The soundtrack was composed by Jonny Greenwood, Radiohead's guitarist.

Inherent_Vice_film_poster.jpg

shaki123

Vangelis - Blade Runner.

There isn't even something compareable out there. A revolution it was, and still is. If Vangelis doesn't score BR 2, we are in trouble.

Leonel

Neo Member
Disasterpiece's It Follows soundtrack is pretty sick too. It's almost hard to believe that the guy who did the soundtrack to Fez did this one as well.

hydruxo

Once Upon A Time In The West
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
LOTR trilogy
O Brother Where Art Thou
Inception
Drive
A Fistful of Dollars
Once Upon A Time in America
Dark Knight trilogy
Pulp Fiction
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar
Blade Runner
Star Wars

At the end of the second page and only one person mentions one soundtrack by Danny Elfman. WTF

Batman Returns
Peewees Big Adventure
Edward Scissorhands
Big Fish
Scrooged

Magwik

Banned
Oblivion
Tron Legacy
Pirates of the Carribean
Lawrence of Arabia
Interstellar
X-Men First Class
Mad Max Fury Road

I don't know about best because music is so personal, but these are some of my favourites off the top of my head.

And many more that I can't think of right now.

Edit: I didn't even post any John Carpenter! So I will add The Thing, Prince of Darkness and Assault on Precinct 13 to that list.

3343384590_e3d7629fed_m.jpg

This is easily John Williams' best score. The 2 disc limited edition set is a thing to behold. It has Williams' most extensive and best use of leitmotif out of all his works. Great, great stuff in this score and sadly always over looked, even by Williams' fans.

Plenty of great choices here. Winners, all around.
But there can only be one king, and it's the soundtrack that features Sir Mix-A-Lot and Mudhoney on the classic track: Freak Momma.
Bow your heads.

Judgment_Night_(soundtrack)_album_coveart.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom