• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best movies of last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking to catch up on some of the better movies of last year that i missed, due to them beig available on dvd now, so can i have some gaf-recs

Eternal Sunshine is surely one of the best of last year, and well worth another view, so thats in the basket.

any others?

Alucard

Banned
Well, these lists have been exhausted already, but here we go anyways...

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Garden State
Shaun of the Dead
Sideways

Uhhhh...yeah. Don't feel like thinking too hard this morning.

All of the above (except for Napoleon Dynamite, IMO) and add

Kill Bill: Vol 2
Team America: World Police
Million Dollar Baby (duh)
Maria Full of Grace

1) Million Dollar Baby
2) The Aviator
3) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4) Closer
5) Finding Neverland
6) Sideways
7) Garden State
8) Collateral
9) Kill Bill Vol 2
10) Hotel Rwanda
11) Ray
12) Hellboy
13) Napoleon Dynamite
14) Shaun of the Dead
15) Anchorman
16) Spiderman 2

Don't forget Anchorman.

And yeah, Garden State was definitely good.

How was Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow not nominated for any of the visual graphic award things at the Oscars? It's awesome, visually.. :D

Now here's the list of movies that I thought were either alright or good (maybe a 5/10 - 7.5/10 scale) but nowhere near spectacular as others claimed:

Napolean Dynamite
Ray
Collateral
The first 30 minutes of Shaun of the Dead (extremely boring, but the rest of the movie is great, so it balances out overall :) )
Spiderman 2

Just remember.. Anchorman >>>>> all.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
i didn't think last year was all that great for movies, so i'll toss out some movies that i felt like were worth seeing

aviator
before sunset
broken wings
closer
collateral
coffee and cigarettes
door in the floor
dogville
eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
five obstructions
garden state
last life in the universe
maria full of grace
mean creek
million dollar baby
motorcycle diaries
p.s.
saddest music in the world
very long engagement

and i wasn't sure if these were last year or not:
goodbye, lenin
the dreamers

Willco

Hollywood Square
Spiderman_2_sacrifice_L.jpg

J2 Cool

Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind - First time I seen it, most emotional and best movie of the year.

Kill Bill Vol. 2 - At first I was dissapointed when this movie didn't have all the visual style of vol. 1. Just seen part of Vol. 1 yesterday, remembering all the stuff Im talking about. The "our feature presentation" intro, Revenge served cold quote, mixed styles in the movie(asian, western, suburbs), anime piece, chapters, etc. But taken on its own, volume 2 was still a fantastic film, just a different ride.

The Incredibles - A kick ass movie indeed. Better action than almost any movie this year, a smart plot, great characters. The art direction on this was brilliant too. Another Pixar masterpiece. Hopefully they get Brad Bird working on something, be it 2D or another 3D feature. He deserved all the aclaim he got and more.

Spider-man 2 - It's a bit cheesy, and a bit melodramatic, but it was still Spiderman. There was a lot to like about it. Doc Ock was done great, Parker's struggle between lives was done well, some great action scenes. Particularly the train, that was just amazing.

Dodgeball/Anchorman - Both were hilarious comedies. Not sure which was better but I laughed my ass off at em both. I think Dodgeball would get the nod if they were allowed the orignal ending though :lol

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Dodgeball? You guys must have misread the question. He said BEST movies of last year, not the most retarded ones.

Pile of shit in my car >>>>>> Dodgeball

Triumph

Banned
Eternal Sunshine, Sideways, The Corporation, Anchorman, Supersize Me, Fahrenheit 9/11, Maria Full of Grace. Didn't see Million Dollar Baby yet.

karasu

I'm just cutting and pasting what i posted elsewhere.

1- Last Life in the Universe

If you decide to watch anything I reccomend, watch this. But only if you have an open mind.

2- Once Upon a Time in High School

This could have easily been my number one. In fact, its only number two because though my love for them is equal, I've loved Last Life in the Universe a little longer.

3- Twilight Samurai

This is the best samurai film in ages, and it breaks conventions of the genre in the most wonderful of ways. It's great to see a samurai film that goes beyond honor and seppuku. The few fight scenes are among the best ever filmed.

4 -The Dreamers

Bertolucci's love letter to film. Though I felt the ending was a little forced, I loved the world this film pulled me into, and it's great use of music and imagery. Plus I fell in love with Eva Green, despite her characters' unbelievable level of wonkiness.

5- Kill Bill Vol. 2

Trumps Volume one in every way in my opinion. Well, not visually. Gone are those lame scowls, empty action, and ugly toes. They've been replaced with interesting dialouge, credible action work, and David fucking Carradine in one of my favorite performances of the year. Way to go Tarantino.

6- Spiderman 2

The Best Superhero movie ever? Maybe. It sure trumped part one in every possible way, and not simply by going bigger either. With a tighter script, better pacing, more creative action scenes, a better villain, there was no way this could miss. I can't think of anything cooler than seeing Doc Ock brought to life, convincingly and true to the source material. Rock on Mr. Raimi. if you would have included just one ninja, that would have been enough to move this from number 6, to number 1. Figure that out.

7- Casshern

A visual masterpiece, plain and simple. This movie blows my mind, and it frightens me that I may be in the minority, but oh well. I adore this picture. I'm seriously looking forward to what comes next from Kazuaki Kiriya. It reminds me of Akira in that it's beautiful, but so wonky that it turns people off. Not to say that it's as good as Akira or anything. I just think they're similar in that way. I'm a whore for amazing visuals,and Casshern has them in spades.

8- Ghost in the Shell2: Innocence

Remember what I said about visuals? Yeah, look no further. If you're into Oshii's style, Oshii doesn't dissapoint.

LinesInTheSand said:
1) Million Dollar Baby
2) The Aviator
3) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4) Closer
5) Finding Neverland
6) Sideways
7) Garden State
8) Collateral
9) Kill Bill Vol 2
10) Hotel Rwanda
11) Ray
12) Hellboy
13) Napoleon Dynamite
14) Shaun of the Dead
15) Anchorman
16) Spiderman 2
Great list, all these are worth seeing (except maybe Anchorman and Garden State), and the order is pretty good. It needs more foreign films, Baadassss!!! and Before Sunset.

1. Before Sunset
2. Sideways
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4. The Incredibles
5. The Motorcycle Diaries
6. Maria Full of Grace
7. Vera Drake
8. Million Dollar Baby
9. Baadassss!!!
10. Twilight Samurai

Iceman said:
wash-02.jpg

The lack of I, Robot love makes Alan Tudyk cry... or strike a pensive pose... something like that.
Fans of I, Robot definitely haven't seen enough movies last year, or are just entertaining a weird Will Smith fetish.

Iceman

For reference, I was not high on Million Dollar Baby. I loved Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and really like Garden State (particularly the first half). I did not hate Troy. Kill Bill Vol. 2 >>> Kill Bill Vol. 1. I fell in love with The Village (didn't much appreciate on first viewing.. and I'm a friggen M. Night apologist). I, Robot was a great ride. Heck, I liked Constantine.. what does that tell you?

The Incredibles* > ESoTSM* > The Village* > Kill Bill Vol. 2* > Napoleon Dynamite* > Garden State* > Sideways = I, Robot* > Ghost In The Shell: Innocence = Million Dollar Baby > Troy (and these are all movies I enjoyed)

I know I saw a lot more movies then that last year I just either can't remember them or don't care to.

I still have to see The Aviator (though I'm not particularly moved to), Finding Neverland and Hotel Rwanda. I expect that I'll like Finding Neverland the best out of those three.

There are seven "must have movies"* in my list.. so it's not like last year was terrible for movies, but I suspect this year will make last year look pathetic (in general.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom