• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best opening sequences in films

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides some of the obvious ones that have already been said, I really like the beginning of Gladiator:
"Strength and Honor"
"What we do in Life, echoes in Eternity"
..the barrage of fire arrows, etc

Randam

TDK? That perfectly timed Bus and the Perfectly timed Bus Convoy Ruin everything about it.

That's still hilarious. Apparently bus employees are too jaded to bother calling in the bus that just burst out of a wall as suspicious.

The bank scene has everything that's terrible about the Dark Knight—a villain whose success rides on the whims of the screenwriters bending the rules of reality to favor them.
I always assumed TDK was unbashable!?

Apt101

I have a soft spot in my heart for the opening of A Knight's Tale.

But if I'm being objective it's either Star Wars: A New Hope or Raiders of the Lost Ark.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I liked Wolverine, showing Logan and his brother fight in various wars

BigAl1992

The intro for Alien will always stick out for me, not just with the way you get to see the dark emptyness of space, but the way you see the lifeless interior of the Nostromo before the crew wake up from cryosleep.

Halloween
hall22.jpg

]

Yes!

gamz

Halloween and Touch of Evil are technical marvels.

Oh, and Contact! That was a fantastic opening scene.

gamz

The Way of the Gun

I think either Magnolia or The Watchmen wins though.

I second Magnolia. Amazing.

And it is in the humble opinion of this narrator that this is not just "Something That Happened." This cannot be "One of Those Things... " This, please, cannot be that. And for what I would like to say, I can't. This Was Not Just A Matter Of Chance. Ohhhh. These strange things happen all the time.

Gives me the chills everytime.

AlphaMale

The rest of the movie is eh but Spectre's one-take opening, whew
Children of Men too with the coffee bomb

Came in to say the same!
Absolutely agree with Spectre. The rest of the movie after the opening scene looked like a completely *different* movie! (and much worse)

Aside from the classics already mentioned, I really like the opening scenes of Serenity. The Universal logo becoming Earth-That-Was, then the explanatory voiceover which segues into River arguing with her teacher, then her rescue by Simon which we had heard about on the show but never witnessed, realized in a very awesome way.

gamz

With the rising music in the background, same here.

Then cut to ONE.

Also, love the opening narration for Coens Blood Simple.

The world is full o' complainers. An' the fact is, nothin' comes with a guarantee. Now I don't care if you're the pope of Rome, President of the United States or Man of the Year; somethin' can all go wrong. Now go on ahead, y'know, complain, tell your problems to your neighbor, ask for help, 'n watch him fly. Now, in Russia, they got it mapped out so that everyone pulls for everyone else... that's the theory, anyway. But what I know about is Texas, an' down here... you're on your own.

TS-08

That's still hilarious. Apparently bus employees are too jaded to bother calling in the bus that just burst out of a wall as suspicious.

The bank scene has everything that's terrible about the Dark Knight—a villain whose success rides on the whims of the screenwriters bending the rules of reality to favor them.

I always assumed those buses were driven by people in on the heist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom