• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best opening sequences in films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Begbie

I love the extended opening in Raising Arizona before the title kicks in

Raising-Arizona.jpg

Was gonna say Assassination of Jesse James then remembered that it starts with the dialogue before the train robbery, rather than the other way round :(

C.Mongler

Just watched it so it's fresh on my mind, but I really liked It Follows' opening. When you first see it it raises so many questions about what the hell is happening, but after you get into the actual meat of the film you realize the opening scene sets up the entire premise of the movie in about 5 minutes. Loved the movie (though I thought the ending pieces could have used a bit more attention).

Haruko

Pacific Rim's opening had so much worldbuilding that it was one of the best parts of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGbU_20InKM

(Technically, the opening goes on to include the entire Gypsy Danger vs Knifehead battle in Alaska, before the title of the film actually appears. But even if you don't count that, the above clip is great enough)

Hissing Sid

Pekinpah's Cross of Iron. Hands down my favourite film intro ever.

The children singing "Hänschen klein", interspersed with martial music as the black and white war footage rolls and the colour gradually seeps through until we are introduced to Coburn and his crew is just magnificent.

The actual film itself has some issues but the intro will never been beaten imo.

Sotha_Sil

Saving Private Ryan, Raiders of the Lost Arc, and Star Wars are all good picks, but a personal favorite of mine is Star Trek (2009).

It helps that the movie takes a nosedive for the worst immediately after the big floating Star Trek logo.

Reeks

Nocturnal Animals. It's so unbelievably beautiful. I was caught off guard and for some reason it made me cry. The rest of the movie is ok, a bit uneven. That opening, though...

I really love the opening to Child's Play 3, despite it being silly and the movie not being that good.

Just rewatched this I really like it too. Takes me right back to being a kid, half terrified and half elated to be refueling my nightmare tank with another Chucky movie.

---

I really dig the Spider-man 2 opening. Elfman's theme is fantastic and the way the credits are spliced with illustrations recapping the first movie is great.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The opening to Dead Or Alive (NSFW)

The opening to The Killer

The intro and opening to Hard Boiled

The opening scene of Midnight Run

Pekinpah's Cross of Iron. Hands down my favourite film intro ever.

The children singing "Hänschen klein", interspersed with martial music as the black and white war footage rolls and the colour gradually seeps through until we are introduced to Coburn and his crew is just magnificent.

The actual film itself has some issues but the intro will never been beaten imo.

Right there with you my good man. I love Peckinpah and that's a great intro, Cross Of Iron is one of my favourite films too :) Along with the incredibly underrated Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia. Love the ending to Cross Of Iron as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom