• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Original Game Song this Generation

Mooreberg

"Alone In The Town" - Silent Hill 2
"Fist Fury" - GTA Vice City
"Crashed Frigate" - Metroid Prime
"Heron's Loft" - DX Invisble War
"Under Cover of Night" - Halo

The music was pretty much the one thing in DX2 that didn't leave me awestruck by means of stellar sucktitude.

Grubdog

Banned
The Wind Waker end credits song is one of the best songs i've ever heard, not just in gaming, it's absolutely amazing. And although it's cheesy, I love Captain Falcons theme song in F-Zero GX.

scola said:
could some amazingly cool person rip this for me?
I have the mp3.. how can i send it to you? (I have nowhere to upload it)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Grubdog said:
I have the mp3.. how can i send it to you? (I have nowhere to upload it)
:D

IM me @ iplaysax99

edit: also if any of you have Fzero GX go listen to Flacon's theme (it is kind of shitty but it is like a 7 minute mini rock opera, its hella funny) and Octoman's funky eighty groove on his profile is too much, fun stuff.

Dez

Some of my favs..

Rez - Area 1
Metroid Prime - Ending Credits
Metroid Prime - Chozo Ruins
MGS2 Theme
Beyond Good and Evil - Home Sweet Home
Xenosaga - Final battle
Zelda: The Wind Waker - Ending credits

Epunam, Puchi, Speed of Light - Mr Driller Drill Land

Katamari on the Rock - Katamari Damacy - really, this could be any song from the soundtrack, but since it ties them all together so well I have to go with the main theme.

Libble Rabble, Pac-Mania - Technic Beat

Rakugakids Holiday - Pop'n Music 10

and if Dreamcast counts as this generation..

Rock it On, Sneakman - Jet Set Radio

Living in Paradise (Big the Cat Theme) - Sonic Adventure

..and so many more. Despite all the licensed crap in recent years, some of the best game music I've ever heard has emerged in the last few years.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A song is, by definition, sung.
Music does not = song.
Of course, Metroid Prime fans are not smart enough to realize this.

"Sweet Soul Brother" (both the JSR/JGR and JSRF versions) always makes me smile, personally.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
TAJ said:
Music does not = song.
Nintendo fanboys seem to be the biggest offenders here.
Jesus H Buddha man.

offenders?
Yes, many of us know that, by definition, songs are sung, while tunes are played. That said a lot of instrumental music today would be diserviced by being called a tune as tune has taken on meaning of simpleness or cheapness in today's vernacular.

Who gives a shit if half the stuff mentioned in here isn't sung. We like the music, it probably touched us in some way or made us smile or just worked within the context of the game experience.

And the fanboy comment just cements the ridiculousness of all of that.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
olimario said:
UNDERWATER FRIGATE REACTOR CORE
METROID PRIME

totally agree with this one. also phendrana drifts and the phazon mines music (made even better by the metallic sound of the spider morph ball)

also the sailing music from wind waker brings a tear to my eye :p i'm a sucker for sega music so i'll also say the monkey race music from super monkey ball 2. on the Clock Tower Factory course..

i don't give a shit if these aren't 'sung' by anyone. and i only had a gamecube up until a few weeks ago when i got an xbox so, naturally, most (well, all) of my choices are gamecube ones.

can't think of any more...

etiolate

Banned
and Octoman's funky eighty groove on his profile is too much, fun stuff.

I love Octomans theme.

More songs from BG&E need to be mentioned.

Akuda House Propoganda.
Fun and Minigames

Making alien rasta hip hop that fits perfectly and sounds good? That's fucking cool.

Sander

I love the Halo theme (well the whole soundtrack actually). I mean it has chanting monks, you can't beat that.

ge-man

I second the Wind Waker Boss themes and the End credits.

I love most of PDO's music, with my favorite songs being the themes to Altered Genos and the Glacier level.

Though many dislike this gmae, I want to mention Pn03 as well. I love the music for missions 3 and 6.

Luigi's mansion end theme is really awesome, I glad others are mentioning it. I also loved the end theme for Mario Kart:DD--a very beautiful arrangment of the main theme.

Gattsu25

Banned
Wandering Flame

MGS2, Primal, and SH2 OSTs are nice as well, credits song from Luigi's Mansion was good, too...but overall...music this gen is a bit dissapointing

guess that's what's to be expected when you're looking at game music though

sasimirobot

Katamari Damasii- best soundtrack I have heard in a looong time.

Rez- alot of the tracks are tight

Wipeout XL- photek track (games need more drum and bass!)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sander said:
I love the Halo theme (well the whole soundtrack actually). I mean it has chanting monks, you can't beat that.

Haven't heard that but as far as chanting monks go, that song by Enigma which was played everywhere for years was enough chanting monks to last me a lifetime! ;)

jett

D-Member
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to agree with TAJ. A song has lyrics. It's Olimario's fault though, he misnamed this thread. :p

My favorite "piece of music" this generation is probably Castle in the Mist from ICO.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
It's patently SuperSprode from Amplitude.

Although since all the cool kids are listing more than one, You're Not Here from SH3 is YAMA-OKAY.

TAJ said:
Music does not = song.
Of course, Metroid Prime fans are not smart enough to realize this.

"Sweet Soul Brother" (both the JSR/JGR and JSRF versions) always makes me smile, personally.

If you want to go by that definition i'll go with "Tender Sugar" or "Room of Angel" from Silent Hill 4. It's not out yet, but those 2 songs are still better than any other vocal songs i've heard this gen that were created specifically for a game.

Trevelyon

Let the Winds Blow - PSO Ep. III C.A.R.D Revolution
World With Me - PSO Ep. I&II
The Whole New World - PSO
I want Love - Silent Hill 3
Letter from the Lost Days - Silent Hill 3
Bout the City - JSR
Mischievous Boy - JSR
The Concept of Love - JSRF

Nash said:
The Katamari theme song 6-minute extravaganza:

Dammit, where's the love for my 12-minute version? :( It ownzors the OST cut!!

Also, I wanted to add "every Totakeke song from Animal Crossing" to my list. Those are 'sung' aren't they? :D

DarkAngyl

You're not here-Silent Hill 3

Opening Song to Wild Arms 3-I'm not sure what the name is, it's the vocal track

MGS2 Theme

To Zanarkand-FFX

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
bobbyconover said:
Dammit, where's the love for my 12-minute version? :( It ownzors the OST cut!!

I can't think of any 12-minute songs I like, not even Katamari I'm afraid ... ;)

Top Bottom