• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEST Paced Games?

Orayn

Pacing. Put simply, it's the rate and rhythm of stuff happening in a game. When it's good, there's a nice sense of ebb and flow that keeps the player engaged while still giving you time to take a breather when you need it. Bad pacing leaves you feeling either bored because you're waiting for something to happen, or rushed and overwhelmed because the game won't let up or give you time to process what's going on.

What, in your opinion, are some games that do a really good job of managing their length, intensity, and other motivating factors?

Be nice and try to explain your choices.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Resident Evil 4. Might as well get this over with in the first post.

There's never a moment of dullness or drudgery, and the gameplay switches between light puzzle solving, shooting, boss battles, and other, one-off segments with such finesse that you're consistently engaged with the game. Moreover, it's constantly throwing new enemy types at you, so you're on your toes until the very end of the game.

wbEMX

Vanquish. Another Mikami game that has perfect pacing from beginning to the end. The five hours of gameplay it contains are so perfectly (fast-)paced that it's insane. My favorite Platinum game to this day.

Star fox 64

It ends quickly but it's satisfying throughout with mostly really high quality stuff. There's a good reason why people replayed it so much.

Half Life 2 is a master class in pacing IMO.

It unravels itself so well and teaches everything to the player in seamless ways.

I got bored on the second vehicle section in half life 2.. the buggy on the highway. Or maybe I just couldn't beat the helicopter. Shit was ace up until that point.

antitrop

Chrono Trigger for RPGs and Resident Evil 4 for action games.

Chrono Trigger manages to pack a ton of memorable and unique locations and story beats into a mere 15 hours, there is no fat, there is no filler. The difficulty is nice and smooth and allows for a pretty easy playthrough, without having to grind levels at really any point in the game.

Resident Evil 4 paces out a ridiculous variety of enemy types and fresh encounter designs that never gets boring. Some people feel the game goes downhill at the castle, or even more at the island, but I disagree with both. The game stays fresh and fast-paced until the ending credits. It's never content to become predictable or routine.

robotrock

Banned
The first Portal for sure.

I never played through RE4, is it worth checking it out if that opening village puts me off?

Celegus

Super Metroid is the textbook of pacing. New areas, new powers, new enemies, fun bosses all throughout the entire game. All while gently nudging you in the right direction so you never feel lost, but doesn't feel at all like a straight line.

Orayn

Half Life 2 is a master class in pacing IMO.

It unravels itself so well and teaches everything to the player in seamless ways.

I think a few chapters drag, but HL2 definitely has an interesting pace in this discussion. It's easily a 15+ hour game with reloads and experimentation, and it simultaneously feels like a lengthy odyssey and a streamlined, cinematic experience.

Novocaine

I felt like South Park SOT was perfectly paced. I remember hearing people upset because it was only a 10-12 hour game but I think if it was too much longer it would have gotten stale. I never got bored and was always moved onto the next gag before it wore out its welcome.

Uncharted 2 is perfect paced.
I never want to play the opening stealth part or the beginning levels in the jungle again but it's a fun ride all the way to the finish line after that.

I've replayed Chrono trigger every year or so and I'm always surprised at how great it is all the way through. Up to breaking out of prison is probably my favorite first couple of hours in any game.

Umibozu

Chrono trigger, no moment or section out stays its welcome. Probably one of the reasons why it's so replayable.

mgsv no question story flow is great, side ops are integrated into the game flawlessly alongside the main missions for a nice, delicate balance of story-gameplay

robotrock

Banned
I never want to play the opening stealth part or the beginning levels in the jungle again but it's a fun ride all the way to the finish line after that.

True. I like those beginning levels, but the game is on a completely different caliber once you reach Nepal. Then it's actually amazing.

I feel similar about The Last of Us. Intro is awesome, but then the next two or so hours are a bit weak. Once you meet Bill or whatever, the rest of the game is awesome.

mgsv no question story flow is great, side ops are integrated into the game flawlessly alongside the main missions for a nice, delicate balance of story-gameplay

I love this post.

Seriously though I do think MGSV's pacing in Chapter 1 is awesome. Chapter 2 is probably one of the best examples of awful pacing in all of video games though.

Bergerac

REmake (gameplay) and Silent Hill 2 (narrative).

The island in RE4 suggests a significant drop in pacing control. It peaks with the castle. Picks up again slightly with Krauser but the rest of the island I wouldn't say had great pacing.

robotrock

Banned
Bayonetta 2 is pretty insane pacing wise. That game just starts and goooooooooooooooooooooes until you reach the credits.

I felt like South Park SOT was perfectly paced. I remember hearing people upset because it was only a 10-12 hour game but I think if it was too much longer it would have gotten stale. I never got bored and was always moved onto the next gag before it wore out its welcome.

Yoooooo this is absolutely true. It's actually amazing how South Park didn't outstay it's welcome for how long it was.

Arthimura

Demon's Souls has perfect pace, every world is unique and you're always discovering new things and the end finishes the story in a satisfactory way.

I think Mario 64 is a really really well paced game. It makes the best compromise between tight pacing and lots of content possible by making it possible to briskly move towards the end without completing every last star. If all 120 stars were a requirement, it'd be a legendary slog. Since they're optional - and what's more, freeform based on which you want to try and get - the game basically moves at exactly the speed you feel like completing it.

I have to disagree on this one, although it's obviously a classic action game. I just don't think the stealth sequence, the revisit to the
opening climb
or the second half of the Tenzin areas are much fun.

Orayn

Really can't agree with mentions of MGSV at all, despite enjoying the game as a total package. There were too many instances of needing to complete filler to advance to the next mission in the main story, which often turned out to be practically filler as well. I didn't even bother with chapter 2 because all my friends told me it only magnifies those issues.

A lot of people tend to dismiss this series as a whole, but Modern Warfare 2's campaign is a masterclass of pacing and design. The tension and action is constantly going up and down, spacing apart loud explosions and firefights with slower, more stealthy sections.

Plot issues aside its one of my favorite shooter campaigns in the last decade.

So basically there are two groups of people in this thread. People who are correct, and people who have somehow avoided playing RE4 all these years.

Bowdz

Indeed.

Should have been the first post. It is a the only game I've ever played where I beat it, started a new run through immediately afterward, and actually got a decent distance into it. It is so hard to put down purely because of the pacing.

Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2 both have some lulls, but considering how much variance they provide purely with basic gameplay, they are paced better than anything else in their class.

Bayonetta 2 is pretty insane pacing wise. That game just starts and goooooooooooooooooooooes until you reach the credits.

That really burnt me out though. It avoids having outright crap parts like Bayonetta did, but I really couldn't tell you where I was in the story since every fight felt like a final boss. I remember feeling Bayonetta was building up to something whereas Bayonetta 2 was just full tilt the whole way through without reaching the same high as 1 did. A better game, but I liked that progression in 1 more (though the stories of both were mostly weird, back-to-back nonsense power-plays throughout).

Uncharted 2 until the final Boss.
If you shoot him while he's recoiling, the fight goes faster. Beating him in one try is keeps the momentum going.

televator

The Last of Us

The seasonal chapter sectioning was fantastic. Also within those chapters there's moments of quiet time to absorb things and high prolonged action that balances out so you don't get too worn out.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So basically there are two groups of people in this thread. People who are correct, and people who have somehow avoided playing RE4 all these years.

Honestly, it's a 20 hour game that continually remains fresh, holds up fantastically over replays, and gameplay is still deep enough to allow for experimentation.

Unlike UC2 which is closer to a cheap carnival ride. Once you've gone through it once, it doesn't have much to offer. RE4 is one you can replay multiple times and see it change. I feel like Vanquish is another strong choice too. Its not apparent right away due to the control scheme. But once it clicks that it is an arcade shooter meant for high score. The pacing makes perfect sense.

If I take a bit of an odd choice. I feel like World of Warcraft perfected the time it takes to reach max level. One of the issues I had with a load of MMOs prior was either the ridiculously long level times with no end in sight or shorter ones that were meant more for quick profession changes. WoW, even with each new expansion, they adjust the levels to make sure the time is still about the same to go from 1 to max level.

First Portal is a great choice too. Its short, but its perfect.

I can't help but agree with the RE4 mentions. It's a top-to-bottom masterpiece of pacing, employing some clever design tricks to nail this feeling so spectacularly.

Since everything else will probably be covered, Civilization 5 with its two expansions would be my choice. The series that made the concept of "One More Turn..." perfected it with the introduction of city states, the one-unit-per-tile rule, strategic resources, archaeology, ideology, meaningful trade routes, plus returning mechanics like religion, espionage, and diplomacy; all of these mechanics combine to make sure every turn is worth taking, no matter the era. The progress never stops.
The first Portal for sure.

I never played through RE4, is it worth checking it out if that opening village puts me off?

Depends on what you disliked about the village. The enemies and environments change in significant ways over the course of the game, with the village offering only a tiny glimpse of the overall variety. And you'll find a lot of different weapons as you progress, being able to decide on your favourite gear. But if you just don't like the controls or inventory or whatever, it's probably better to avoid the game entirely because they're very core to how the game is played.
No way. The intro mission alone disqualfiies it.

That whole sequence is torturous.

Well it's a lot easier to have good pacing when your game's barely longer than a movie.

With that said, I loved Portal. But RE4 is the real winner here

Seeing as the RE4 votes outnumber Uncharted 2's: nope.

To be fair, Portal 2 was probably just as good when it came to pacing IMO.

Top Bottom