• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best PC-exclusive third person action games?

I can't find Black Desert on Steam, is there some region restriction thing?

Yes, the game applies region restrictions. It's the same publisher as the currently running one, so if your region is blocked there you'll be blocked on Steam as well. Also, the game is not out yet on Steam.

Wouldn't the Ys games available on Steam atm be more of the Overhead Isometric variety ala Diablo and Legend of Zelda: AttP?

The Ys games have free jumping (unlike, say, most of the top-down Zeldas or the original two Ys games) and push you to make use of it through their level design and enemy attacks in the same way a fully 3D title would. I think they blur the lines enough that it's not inappropriate to call them 3D action games, honestly.

Nete

Mount & Blade: Warband. It has a terrible UI and the sequel should be released this or next year, but it's still great.

Blade: Edge of Darkness (aka Severance: Blade of Darkness in the US), the best third-person melee combat back then.

Heretic 2, Raven Software doing what they used to do best.

Then there are some 1st/3rd person hybrids such as Hidden & Dangerous 2 (which btw was re-released at GOG not long ago) or the Mechwarrior series (2-3-4, ignore Mechwarrior Online). Or the first Jedi Knight (JK: Dark Forces II).

dock

The next natural jump from where you are with Ys would be to check out something like Xanadu Next or Grim Dawn.

Wow, I never heard of these. Thanks, that's so interesting!

These early-mid 2000s Japanese games that got a very late PC ports to Steam and other services are a really good thing to happen with PC gaming, especially as they don't tend to wallow in the dudebro aesthetics that I've become weary of in western made games.

PantsuJo

Severance: Blade of Darkness

So much this.
The first "Souls" game in history, I'd say.
You can find it on GOG (if I remember correctly) and you can install few mods to enhance lightings and effects.

Also, it's programmed in Python (except the 3d engine, of course) so, if you are a programmer, it's just diving into a dungeon of code, tabs and sex. Oh boy

PantsuJo

PS2 also so not really an exclusive.

On PC there was a community, active until 2012 I believe. They modded the game with working multiplayer, improved engine and new levels.

Strange thing, Oni.

This sounds interesting (at least when compared to Souls games). Is it playable with a gamepad?
I don't think so.

Maybe with some software like Xpadder capable of remapping keyboard to joypad... I don't know.

dock

Have you ever played the Max Payne games? Not actually exclusive to PC but they are essentially best experienced on PC due to a number of reasons.
I actually played the first Max Payne game back in the day, and I found it pretty unbearable. I know the character is supposed to be unlikeable and schlocky but the constipated face and the constant bullet time shooting while jumping was just excruciating.

I don't think I enjoy shooting dudes as much as I'm supposed to.

Maxey

That's right, and I remember enjoying the demo back in the day. It wasn't on Steam last time I checked, and my guess is that it'll probably be difficult to run on modern systems.
It's based on the Quake 2 engine. I wonder if there's a compatible source port.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really loved Chaos Legion, Capcom/DMC fans despise it and well it's not exclusive since it's also on PS2, but imo it's great and the PS2 was 2 generations ago so we could consider it an exclusive lol.

So much this.
The first "Souls" game in history, I'd say.
You can find it on GOG (if I remember correctly) and you can install few mods to enhance lightings and effects.

Also, it's programmed in Python (except the 3d engine, of course) so, if you are a programmer, it's just diving into a dungeon of code, tabs and sex. Oh boy

The first Souls game is Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight (hard is even in the title lol) for the amiga
moonstone1.png
Moonstone-3.png
iXDhv.png
tumblr_mh5gs7hvGf1rmr079o4_1280.jpg

This sounds interesting (at least when compared to Souls games). Is it playable with a gamepad?

Of course not. Also try Rune, Heavy Metal Fakk, Deep Space Nine: The Fallen, MDK, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Alice.

Also try Heretic 2, which is extremely awesome

horkrux

You're not going to find many third person action games exclusive to PC.

That's not true. There are actually a shit-ton, but they're quite old. Here are a few:

Die by the Sword
Rune
Harry Potter 1-3
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
American McGee's Alice

MoogleMan

What are the best PC-exclusive third person 3D action games?
Honestly, there's not a lot exclusive to pc in that category. That said, buying some of the games mentioned in this thread on PC will more often than not get you the definitive edition of the game. My PS4 and switch are really just for exclusives; for everything else I game on PC.

American McGee's Alice
IIRC, that was released on consoles.

opricnik

Banned
Mount & Blade: Warband. It has a terrible UI and the sequel should be released this or next year, but it's still great.

Blade: Edge of Darkness (aka Severance: Blade of Darkness in the US), the best third-person melee combat back then.

Heretic 2, Raven Software doing what they used to do best.

Then there are some 1st/3rd person hybrids such as Hidden & Dangerous 2 (which btw was re-released at GOG not long ago) or the Mechwarrior series (2-3-4, ignore Mechwarrior Online). Or the first Jedi Knight (JK: Dark Forces II).

Warband isnt exclusive

Dragomon Hunter

tumblr_ntjtn7aO3B1si4jeeo7_r1_500.gif

Never played it and I've heard the F2P system isn't great, but it looks cool. I'm surprised no one brings this up when talking about games similar to Monster Hunter.

Z..

I don't play online games like this, as I don't own a headset and I've never had a positive experience with online games.

You need to play Monster Hunter. The one single online community that is actually worth engaging with.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think there could be many idie action games, but i'm new too so i can't help too much

Orcs must die 2 is a mix between tower defense(waves of enemies trying to reach a point that the player has to defend), deception 4(traps) and action game(third person, weapons like shotguns, melee, magic and so on)

KonradLaw

Hidden and Dangerous 2
Orcs Must Die! 2
Heretic 2
Gift
Hostile Waters
Take no Prisoners
Shadowgrounds

wetalo

I know it's on the original Xbox, but Jedi Academy is an absolutely fantastic third person action game that plays great with mouse and keyboard. If you've never played it, it's something you should look into.

star-wars-jedi-knight-jedi-academy.jpg

EDIT: Also to note, I'm playing through it for my first time so I'm not infected with nostalgia goggles. It's aged really well. =)

pastrami

That's not true. There are actually a shit-ton, but they're quite old. Here are a few:

Die by the Sword
Rune
Harry Potter 1-3
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
American McGee's Alice

Rune, Harry Potter, Giants, and Alice were all released on consoles.

I'm not that into first person myself, and I have a large list of current and upcoming games I keep track on. To me, action is any sort of real time combat system, and third person to me is anything that isn't first person.
I was unsure if the OP meant a over-the-shoulder, isometric, fixed-view or what.
Regardless of angle, to me, what is important about third person perspective is that I can see my character and that matters to me, as a lot of my satisfaction from the genres I enjoy are often derived from smooth animations, character building, character customization and expression, where as first person shooters are often a lazy floating camera that doesn't feel rooted in the world.

I think the OP is missing out by dismissing current and upcoming games that also will appear on console.
The fact of the matter is that due to ease of porting, most PC third person games are by default ported to at least one console. It's easier than ever to do, which makes the idea of "PC exclusives" an entirely flawed concept.
There are games where playing them on PC might as well be a different experience all together. Jedi Outcast is a perfect example of a game that just doesn't play mechanically the same on console as it does on PC. It's absolutely insane to say the game is to be dismissed because it appears on console. I think that's genuinely crazy.
Practically speaking, it is very difficult to keep track on what gets released on which platforms.
Many of the KS and crowdfunding and early access titles have other platforms "TBA". Some titles don't end up getting released, others do. But increasingly I don't think it matters. Exclusivity is not really a beef PC has to have.

As for online, I'd challenge the OP by saying that the vast amount of online experiences today are tailored towards solo play, does not require a headset or are infringed by players.
In fact, it's a major recent development that has taken hold over the last 10 years that online games are being single player experiences themselves.

For one, by turning games into services, developers and publishers increase their ability to continually sell post-launch products after the game has shipped.
This makes sense from a financial and logistical point of view.
Secondly, by adhering to a online-enabled method of playing, players who want to pirate or crack the game illegally for offline play will have a hampered experience.

Some of these are online, some of these are for other platforms, some of these have buff military dudes like Max Payne, but I still think the OP should check these games out.
They all have action, they are non-first person. Some are not out yet, but those that are, are solid.
PC used to be known as the place that only had RTS and FPS and not much else, but the fact is that action combat has snuck into all manners of RPGs, survival, exploration and simulation genres.
And some of the best third person combat you can find at all, are in the third person games.
Already posted games like Black Desert are fucking awesome with their combat, despite being MMOs. Incredible high skill ceiling, insane animation transistions and impressive effects. Let it not fool or deceive you that because the game is online, that it's not on par with its offline contemporaries.

Death's Gambit [Hack'n Slash Sidescroller]
EITR [Viking Hack'n Slash]
Paradise Lost [Stealth Action Adventure]
Elder Scrolls Online [Action MMORPG]
Battle Chef Brigade [Side Scrolling Action Cooking RPG]
Lineage Eternal [Korean Isometric MMORPG]
Combat Core [Action Beat Em Up]
ARMA 3 [Military Simulator]
Absolver [Martial Arts RPG]
Mount and Blade 2 [Action RPG Medieval Simulator]
Lost Ark [Korean Isometric MMORPG]
Dark and Light [Survival Sandbox Online Action RPG]
Star Citizen [First and Third Person Space game]
Dauntless [Monster Hunter MMO]
Albion Online [Runescape-esque MMO]
Blade and Soul [Action MMORPG]
PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS [First and Third Person Shooter]
Worlds Adrift [Sky Pirate Sandbox Exploration MMORPG]
TERA [Korean MMORPG]
Crowfall [Sandbox Action MMORPG]
Wildstar [Themepark Action MMORPG]
Smite [Action MOBA]
Moonlight Online [Chinese Action MMORPG]
Battlecry [Beat Em up]
The Black Death [Survival Action Medieval MMO]
Gang Beasts [Physics Beat em up]
Pyre [Isometric Action RPG]
Ruiner [Isometric Action game]
Tokyo 42 [Isometric Action Game]
Guild Wars 2 [Action MMORPG]
Below [Action RPG]
Knights and Bikes [Action Adventure]
Prey for the Gods [Action Adventure]
Jotun [Isometric RPG]
Dustforce [Sidescrolling Action Adventure]
Doko Roko [Sidescrolling Action Adventure]
Chasm [Metroidvania Sidescroller]
Warframe [Online Action RPG]
Deformers [Beat Em Up]
Mordhau [Medieval Combat Simulator]
Old Time Hockey [sports beat em up]
Planet Alpha 31 [Sidescroller Shooter]
Rain World [Survival Action Adventure]
Rise & Shine [Sidescrolling Shooter]
Scarf Walking with Souls [Action Adventure]
Serial Cleaner [Murder clean up simulator]

But this is just a tiny list. If you take in many of the early access stuff, the MOBAs, open world action titles, the usual AAA action adventures, and so on the list could go on forever.

The platform that created RPG's, adventure games, strategy games, MMO's, simulation games, Diablo and its clones and modding was known as the place that had RTS and FPS and not much else ?

It was a false stigma that was very popular in the early 2000s. "pc is good for first person shooters, but third person is best on console":I

Mephala

Second Xanadu Next

If you don't mind going back to some classics you could try Silver.

Maybe Way of the Samurai. Renown Explorers?

If you don't mind 2D side scroller types then this opens you to a lot more options.

Generally when the PC doesn't have an exclusive in a genre that I want to play I start looking at non-exclusives on platforms I don't have plugged in at the moment. Older games that I wanted to play but never got around to.

Ys
Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver
Arkham
Prince of Persia
Assassin's Creed
Tomb Raider
Saint's Row
Splinter Cell
Devil May Cry
Sleeping Dogs
Dragons Dogma
Earth Defense Force
Binary Domain
Kingdoms of Amalur
Mount & Blade
Chivalry Medieval Warfare

If you want you can also look into solo friendly MMOs.

Wtf is this and how do i get it now

That is Black Desert Online. B2P sandbox MMO with action based combat. You can solo pretty far in PvE too.

heklu

Neo Member
For me it was The Witcher 2. I bought it in 2013 and played it for like 2 hours. Retried and finished it in 2014 and was so damn hyped for The Witcher 3. Now, it's one of my favorite games.

The same with Mafia 2. I played it a couple of years ago and didn't like it. Retried it last year and loved it. Then I was hyped for Mafia 3, but still didn't finish it :/

Edit: Sorry, Wrong Thread :D

nynt9

Necropolis is pretty neat. Roguelike Souls clone by Harebrained Schemes, the developers of the recent Shadowrun series.

tumblr_nkf2tyaItn1u0tzcmo3_500.gif

e8Sb3Ui.gif

IbeqZmc.gif

Necro_launch13.gif

Gattsu25

Banned
My mind doesn't even consider exclusivity when it comes to PC because I know that the best version of a game will, unless something is majorly fucked about a port, always be the PC version.

I guess Crystal Caves is a great exclusive game.

I love Dark Souls, but 'best version is on PC' is not really much motivation here. I'm curious about games I haven't played or haven't heard of.

It should be, going from 30FPS to 60 (in action games especially) is a game changer. That being said, check out Overgrowth.

Luminaire

Slightly bizarre responses. OP asks for exclusives, gets nothing but multi-plats.

Regardless, I'd say Black Desert and Vindictus. I think it depends on what you consider just 3rd person action. You could loop in MMOs and MOBAs, but those may lean a bit more into strategy.

heringer

Slightly bizarre responses. OP asks for exclusives, gets nothing but multi-plats.

Regardless, I'd say Black Desert and Vindictus. I think it depends on what you consider just 3rd person action. You could loop in MMOs and MOBAs, but those may lean a bit more into strategy.

He also said no MMO's and here you are recommending MMO's. :p

Top Bottom