• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best PS1 games not available on modern platforms?

Z..

As a mega drive kid, I never leaped into the 5th gen because early 3D mostly looked like shit to me, I jumped straight from Mega Drive to Dreamcast. I ended up buying a ton of mandatory PS1 classics when I bought a PS2 (Silent Hill, Vagrant Story, MGS, FF7 and most of the usual suspects you'd expect anyone to know about), but have since sold most of them because the digital versions are available on 3 separate devices with 1 single purchase and I really have no affection for physical copies whatsoever.

That said, while I own a huge amount of PS1 stuff spread across ports and psn releases (across all 3 regions so you don't need to tell me about Harmful Park, Panzer Bandit, Gunner's Heaven and all those other delicious jp exclusives online), I know very little about the ps1's library outside what is available today except for a few games I was interested in due to liking other entries in the IP.

This DOES NOT INCLUDE stuff like Valkyrie Profile, Dragon Quest VII or Breath Of Fire 3 which have been remade in the meantime as I am aware of those.

Likewise, stuff that is available on Saturn like WipeOut 2097 (XL) is also not what I want as I fell in love with the Saturn well over 10 years ago and that library is pretty much complete as far as what I want barring a few super expensive titles I'm waiting for re-releases on. You should list those though since the thread can be useful for others as well!

My PS1 library as it stands:

- R-Type Delta.
- Raiden Project.
- JP copy of Policenauts.
- Tekken 3 (why is this gem not on PSN?).
- Tobal No.1.
- Tenchu 2.
- US copy of Tales of Destiny.
- US copy of Legend of Mana.
- Mickey's Wild Adventure (Mickey Mania) for nostalgic reasons and because it's better than the Mega Drive version.
- Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (same as above).

And that's about it... What else is out there gaf?

Opa-Pa

Parappa and Ape Escape? Both got improved PSP ports, but I can't tell if Parappa PSP has more or less latency than the original and Ape Escape had its controls reworked because the PSP had no second nub, which feels weird since the point of the game was how it fully utilized the dualshock.

Vib Ribbon is on PSN, but doesn't have support for other CD's right? If so, you definitely want the disc version because audio CD support if really the main reason to own the game.

Rymuth

Incredible Crisis

IncredibleCrisis-PALcover.jpg
tumblr_m9s68ix5eh1roqda3o2_500.gif

Z..

Pepsi Man

KID made game? Huh, I'd never heard about this before. Thanks!

Mortal kombat mythologies

Joke post?

Parappa and Ape Escape? Both got improved PSP ports, but I can't tell if Parappa PSP has more or less latency than the original and Ape Escape had its controls reworked because the PSP had no second nub, which feels weird since the point of the game was how it fully utilized the dualshock.

Parappa is decent on PSP but I've only heard bad things about the Ape Escape version... gotta get that game, though, never actually played one of those and 1 is supposed to be the holy grail. Thanks!

Pretty sure Heart of Darkness had no PSN Release.

Get the PC version if you can, my man, but solid post!

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete and Eternal Blue Complete.

Remade since. PS version supposed to be definitive but reading up on why it's better... meh.

Einhander? That's not on PSN is it?

It is. JP psn.

Vib Ribbon is on PSN, but doesn't have support for other CD's right? If so, you definitely want the disc version because audio CD support if really the main reason to own the game.

Indeed it does not but I've often resorted to emulating it for such a purpose but yeah, I gotta get my hands on it, it is indeed the main reason to own it! Game is so awesome.

kurahador

Saiyuki: Journey West - SRPG based on the Journey To The West tale. I remember enjoying the game alot and played it to completion.
Thousand Arms - JRPG with dating mechanic.
Eternal Blue Complete - a sequel to Lunar Silver Star and it was one of the best jrpg ever.

King's Field
Disruptor
Chocobo Racing
Fear Effect
Monster Rancher
Saga Frontier I & II
Spider-Man
Chocobo Dungeon 2
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Vandal Hearts

and probably dozens of others I can't recall at the moment.

Also Colony Wars

A shitload if you live in Europe.

but also

Micro Machines V3
Tekken 3
Time Crisis (would be crap without G-Con anyway)
Resident Evil Survivor
Spider-man
Spider-man 2: Enter Electro

Neff

The first three Ridge Racers aren't on there, sadly.

Soul Edge/Blade isn't either, although that's probably a music issue.

Ditto Omega Boost, which is tangled up in a licensing nightmare due to each of the three main regions featuring a different licensed song.

Einhander? That's not on PSN is it?

It's on the Japanese store.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Silent Bomber
Best PS1 game, period.

randomkid

PSX games not on any PSN that I'd like to see are Incredible Crisis, Mr. Domino, Moon RPG Remix, Lunar 2, Linda Cube, and Revelations: Persona (a.k.a. the Good version).

Things I'd like to see put up in English are both Saga Frontiers, Devil Dice, Kartia, Einhander, Intelligence Qube.

If you're already familiar with Japanese PSN you should know how many treasures they've got up there, more than enough to last a lifetime.

NateDrake

Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout
Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring
Guilty Gear
Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes (technically got an HD version).

Z..

The awful GBA and PSP remakes are better off forgotten.

Judging by gafs previous threads about this, no. They're slightly inferior (with the PSP version being visually superior) but not nearly to the point of being "better off forgotten".
In any case, as a big JRPG fan and having played the Sega CD version (only own the PSP version though), I really don't see what the PS1 version adds that's so good. Game is on the lower end of "good" anyway, doubt I'll ever revisit it, twice was enough...

A shitload if you live in Europe.

but also

Micro Machines V3
Tekken 3
Time Crisis (would be crap without G-Con anyway)
Resident Evil Survivor
Spider-man
Spider-man 2: Enter Electro

I do live in Europe (hence Mickey's Wild Adventure and "US copy of" in OP), bring it on!!!

Saiyuki: Journey West - SRPG based on the Journey To The West tale. I remember enjoying the game alot and played it to completion.
Thousand Arms - JRPG with dating mechanic.
Eternal Blue Complete - a sequel to Lunar Silver Star and it was one of the best jrpg ever.

Thanks!

Isn't Lunar 2 universally considered slightly inferior to 1? I wasn't that enthralled with 1 to begin it, is why I ask.

King's Field
Disruptor
Chocobo Racing
Fear Effect
Monster Rancher
Saga Frontier I & II
Spider-Man
Chocobo Dungeon 2
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Vandal Hearts

and probably dozens of others I can't recall at the moment.

Also Colony Wars

I had Tenchu. Sold it, 2 and 3 are my jam, couldn't really get into 1, but lot of goodies on there!
Always meant to check out King's Field, sounds like a good place to start. ^^

Street Fighter Alpha(s). Also, Suikoden II.

Both on PSN. (Alpha 2 and 3 only, but 2 and 3 are where it's at anyway).

Z..

What in the holy name of fuck is this interesting looking thing?

Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout
Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring

Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes (technically got an HD version).

Have Final Bout on Saturn out of nostalgia, but come on, man... it's a piss poor game.

Very curious about Ehrgeiz, though. Oo

Edit - Ok, I thought I had Final Bout on Saturn but apparently it doesn't even exist so the game I have is different. That's what I get for not even playing half the old stuff I buy.

Still, played a ton of Final Bout as a kid, game is legit fucking bad. But now I gotta get it just to relive those memories.

randomkid

It's definitely got audio CD support for PS3, I remember trying it out for the first time when it came out on PSN. Just not Vita, for obvious reasons.

Z..

Die Hard Trilogy.

Is this any good? A friend bought the Saturn version because he thought it was Die Hard Arcade (lol) and is looking to sell for next to nothing.

It's definitely got audio CD support for PS3, I remember trying it out for the first time when it came out on PSN. Just not Vita, for obvious reasons.

What? The internet said it didn't so I didn't even bother trying to install it on PS3. =(
For real?

Silent Bomber
Best PS1 game, period.

Great game, agreed. On PSN though.

Psxphile

Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Jade cocoon (never got to play this one)

Legend of Legaia

Legend of Legaia

http://web.archive.org/web/20150611010602/http://a.pomf.se/okyqto.webm

http://web.archive.org/web/20150611061502/http://a.pomf.se/hmxqlh.webm

http://web.archive.org/web/20150611012636/http://a.pomf.se/whuwcv.webm

2+ years later after making these webms and it's still not on PSN.
Terribly nice of web archive to save them from obscurity.

leroidys

A few that immediately spring to mind that aren't on US/EU PSN...

Breath of Fire III
Valkyrie Profile
Einhander
Bushido Blade
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Street Fighter EX2+
Rival Schools
Tomba 2 (English version)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is this any good? A friend bought the Saturn version because he thought it was Die Hard Arcade (lol) and is looking to sell for next to nothing.

What? The internet said it didn't so I didn't even bother trying to install it on PS3. =(
For real?
It's fantastic. All 3 game styles were very well done respective to the time. I still find it fun to play today. Die Hard 1 holds up better than the others I think, but if you've got a light gun the Die Hard 2 portion is a very fun light gun shooter. Die Hard 3 is basically an early harder Driver. I recommend using the infinite lives cheat with that one since it's quite punishing, but it's very fun. Die Hard Trilogy is one of my favourite licensed games ever.

namabiiru

If we are discount the fact that it's on the Japanese PSN store, Einhander is freaking awesome. Square made it back when they could do no wrong, and they did no wrong. It's one of the most criminally forgotten shmups that I know of.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
What in the holy name of fuck is this interesting looking thing?

Never heard of it before? It's a fightan game with FF VII characters (in the PS1 version).

SE also published Tobal for PS1 which was a decent game. Don't think neither Tobal no. 1 or Tobal no. 2 are on PSN.

Z..

Ok, too many mentions to ignore... be honest: standout game or just another decent 5th gen JRPG? The reason I ask is the price.

A few that immediately spring to mind that aren't on US/EU PSN...

Breath of Fire III
Valkyrie Profile
Einhander
Bushido Blade
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Street Fighter EX2+
Rival Schools
Tomba 2 (English version)

Jojo's was on PSN at one point, sad to see it gone. Einhander, Bushido Blade and Rival Schools are on jp psn and the language barrier is nonexistant, man, get on it.
Lenneth is a pretty decent remake and BoF3 is actually better than the original.

Tomba 2 on PSN is not english version? What version is it?

Aww man... it's just dumbed down Tobal with gimmicky stages. =(
You got me all pumped!

Incredible Crisis

tumblr_m9s68ix5eh1roqda3o2_500.gif

Yooo I came to post this. I love this game so much.

I guess Shaman King Spirit of Shamans (it's an actually fun 2D fighter with great music)

and maybe Bust-a-Groove, but mostly because I've never played it and always wanted to ;-;

evanmisha

Ok, too many mentions to ignore... be honest: standout game or just another decent 5th gen JRPG? The reason I ask is the price.

I consider it a classic, but only because it went way out on a limb with its gameplay. An absolute trailblazer. I don't know if it would be as impactful to someone seeing it today for the first time.

Top Bottom