• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best roguelike on the DS - New official thread of you will buy Shiren DS

LordGek

BlueTsunami said:
Gamestop dood looked at me crazy when I said "I'd like to get Shiren" and looked at his magical Gamestop PC and couldn't find the game listed :(. I ended up geting Phantom Hourglass instead.

I guess I'll order Shiren off of Amazon! On the positive side, my local Target had a bunch of Black Onyx DSs in stock :D

Don't forget the "Mystery Dungeon" part as I think they can only search from the starting letters and not keywords.

I just made my first rescue attempt. I failed miserably. It was terrible.

Is there a way to initiate an attempt without going back to the first town and talking to the missionary? Can you go back to the first town without dying?

LordGek

Rummy Bunnz said:
I just made my first rescue attempt. I failed miserably. It was terrible.

Is there a way to initiate an attempt without going back to the first town and talking to the missionary? Can you go back to the first town without dying?

Making some notes, I am...in my mind.

It would appear that almost all of the key NPC dialogs needed to unlock items, sidekicks, and even extra dungeons after you beat the Main Dungeon (Table Mountain) are in the first 14 floors. Not only then are these the floors with all of the key story stuff, but you are free to backtrack all of the way to the initial village from any of the first 14 floors. This being said, once you enter the marshes of level 15 there is no longer ANY backtracking allowed!

Also, its a whole different story on rescues. You can NEVER backtrack on a rescue nor can you even visit the town/village levels.

Lastly, you can't backtrack in any of the Post Story dungeons (although, if feeling cheesey, you are free to run past their entrances, run back and fourth anyway you want in the first 14 levels of Table Mountain, before you enter any of them (5 of them can be entered from the first 14 levels)). The point of this being then that you can do a lot of pre-leveling before you take them on.

Teasel

so LordGek considering i'm too lazy to talk to everyone since i already know what they more or less say based on the snes version of the game... how do i get to the other quest that got added to the DS version for example
the bungee jumping one? i thought all i had to do was reaching the bridge with pekeji but it didn't do anything

Aeana

Finished my first run. I'd forgotten how different this one feels from the SNES one overall... some of the enemies I expected didn't show up until far later, I never found a single food-rotting trap, and I found bracers to be much rarer, too. Going through the marshes without an anti-rust bracer sucked, but I managed. :O

The translation is really quite good. I like it better than what little I've seen of AGTP's (which I think leaves far too much romanized Japanese). I'd forgotten how much nicer the music sounds in the DS version, too.

LordGek

Teasel said:
so LordGek considering i'm too lazy to talk to everyone since i already know what they more or less say based on the snes version of the game... how do i get to the other quest that got added to the DS version for example
the bungee jumping one? i thought all i had to do was reaching the bridge with pekeji but it didn't do anything

Okay, that was a bit involved, let me see what it says in my "notes"....

Accessing the Bottom Ravine Dungeons (no clue what it is called now in English)

Lots of steps here, so get ready for a long painful story arc!

-Clear Table Mountain.
-Take ONLY Pekeji to the the Town on top of the Hill (between 7th and 8th levels) and an event should unfold.
-Go alone to Butafucko (I know that isn't his name, but its just too close not to make the bad joke) in another run and talk to him.
-Return to Butafucko again with ONLY Pekeji on another run and take a bungie jump! Results will vary and you MAY lose all of your stuff, so watch out!
-You then have to wait at least a couple more runs for a couple of events to pass in the beginning town.
-FINALLY you can access that dungeon! Another important note here is that somewhere in all of this (I'm assuming one of these events will explain it) Pekeji will go missing and I think can only be found in this new dungeon (although I don't think you actually have to clear it to find him). This dungeon is NASTY!! Mainly 3-4 level baddies and almost no items.

LordGek

Aeana said:
Finished my first run. I'd forgotten how different this one feels from the SNES one overall... some of the enemies I expected didn't show up until far later, I never found a single food-rotting trap, and I found bracers to be much rarer, too. Going through the marshes without an anti-rust bracer sucked, but I managed. :O

The translation is really quite good. I like it better than what little I've seen of AGTP's (which I think leaves far too much romanized Japanese). I'd forgotten how much nicer the music sounds in the DS version, too.

I'm pretty sure more types and more frequent traps seem to spawn after more runs...but it could all be my paranoia and confusing the Table Mountain Dungeon with some of the other Post Story Dungeons.

Got the game last night haven't died yet but i am expecting to any moment :lol great game so far still getting into it though. I will upload my friend code later

Teasel

well i cleared tabletop mountain and ranked 2 on this month ranking (DAMN THIS LORD GRANT!) this version is definitely easier than the snes version... monster seems to hit less hard (and there seems to be less of them),and quite a lot of troubling monster has been moved in higher place in the dungeon (like the minotaurs and the radishes) the piggy and the chainhead are definitely more dangerous than in the original but the inferno are now pretty weak
the new monsters make for pretty cool addiction (i'm still trying to understand what is the special ability of the hidden eye)
my favorite one would be the tiger... that thing screwed me up more time than i can think
some other change that were made
- skeleton mage are now undead,it never made sense that they weren't undead in the snes one
- curse girl can curse your item instead of only your equipment
- chainhead now have the special ability of being able to attack from 2 space away
- popster tank can blow walls with their attack,also they chase you when they can't hit you
- this time monsters also attack your party member,in the snes version they only did that if the party member blocked their path to you
- kid tengu got moved up has more hp and now disguises himself as other monster... a new monster called chincho was added to replace the kid tengu on the lower places
- some new item,lighting staff (damage enemies),floating sword (extra damage to flying enemies) and i'm pretty sure there are other (i remember a sword that made flames in one of the trailers) but that's all i found in the main dungeon
- monsters give different amount of EXP also some of the fei puzzle are different
- there is a new layout made like a maze which is really annoying
well time to take the extra dungeon (or the time attack mode as it seems no one has still registered a ranking there)

oh and by the way my WFC is 4339-2104-0919

inthegray

my friend code: 2835-9723-2670

i expect to die a LOT, so add me if you want a ton of easy rescue requests!

i checked the leaderboards and already saw a lot of you up there!

LordGek

inthegray said:
my friend code: 2835-9723-2670

i expect to die a LOT, so add me if you want a ton of easy rescue requests!

i checked the leaderboards and already saw a lot of you up there!

I know that avatar and WFC!

You Sneaky Monkey!

The more fellow fanatics I meet, the more I realize a lot of them are just the same guys with multiple identities!

Crayon

Okay I went and got it.

Played for a few hours last nite and immediatly got the feeling that I was playing an awesome game but not doing it right.

So I went and looked up the history of "roguelikes" and read a bit of the material posted in this thread. Now I can clearly see that while I have encountered this type of game before, I've never really had any quality time with one.

I'm really looking forward to cracking back into this with a better understanding of the game flow.

The game flow, which is quite unlike anything I've ever gotten into but appears to be very rewarding and worth making the effort to appreciate.

Maybe this will help a bit for those of you are thinking about getting the game, but like I was are sitting there looking at screens and thinking; "Durrr, so is it like Secret of Mana?" or "Durr so it's like turn based SoM?" or "Durrr, so it's like SoM Tactics?".

I guess I'm reccomending it because I've run around with alot of cute little chibis in alot of japanese games in my gaming carreer but this one actually something I personally havn't played a million times before. That in itself is worth the 30 bucks.

Teasel

so i really really want to enter the new
trap dungeon
i have done everything i should need to do
got the melding jar and paid 10.000 gitan to naoki
but i still can't access it :/ any help?

nli10

sounds good - didn't realise there was an English language version until I saw the screens!

Wonder if there will be a Euro version? If not might find it abroad :)

inthegray

LordGek said:
I know that avatar and WFC!

You Sneaky Monkey!

The more fellow fanatics I meet, the more I realize a lot of them are just the same guys with multiple identities!

:lol

sooo, any tips on what to do with all of the unidenfitied pots i keep finding? just carry them around until i can identify them? or should i go ahead and press on them/throw things in them?

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
lyre said:
a familiar-looking write-up
If you're just gonna paste everything I wrote wholesale, you should at least link to the corresponding forum discussion where everyone is chronicling their many deaths with loving detail. I think that cuts to the heart of the game even more effectively than anything I hacked out.

Pellham

Banned
Hey we can post rescue requests here right? I am needing one. :(
My password is:

L830J 002! G8G22
Z5Y29 QGKH RYVPK
ND52C K!TZ 08WM!
7KDH1 V1P9 VYV00

I'm level 12 but I died on floor 3 so rescuing should be easy (was trying to get back to the hamlet to store my +6 mastersword). Would appreciate any rescue, I'll give you an item in return.

lyre

ToastyFrog said:
If you're just gonna paste everything I wrote wholesale, you should at least link to the corresponding forum discussion where everyone is chronicling their many deaths with loving detail. I think that cuts to the heart of the game even more effectively than anything I hacked out.
Sorry. If there was a link that lead to your thing about Shiren, I would have linked instead of copying and pasting. I don't read too many blogs so I'm not quite sure of how to go at linking other than linking to the closest page. I'll just ignore them in the future then.

Though really, is it so bad that I'm trying to spread (moar) good word of the game in question?

Panda

I stumbled upon a "happy band" (the one that gives you experience while walking) during the first couple of levels, so I pulverised basically everything up until the 15th level, when the difficulty ramped up all the way... don't think I can even get there anymore . :(

I know this is a little off-topic but this is the best place to ask... Does anyone know how well Shiren DS sold in Japan? I'm already wondering about the possibility of Sega/Chunsoft porting Shiren 2 to DS. :lol

NinjaFromTheFuture said:
I know this is a little off-topic but this is the best place to ask... Does anyone know how well Shiren DS sold in Japan? I'm already wondering about the possibility of Sega/Chunsoft porting Shiren 2 to DS. :lol

Technically, this is Shiren 2 (Fushigi no Dungeon 2: Fuurai no Shiren). Shiren 3 is coming on Wii later this year.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
lyre said:
Sorry. If there was a link that lead to your thing about Shiren, I would have linked instead of copying and pasting. I don't read too many blogs so I'm not quite sure of how to go at linking other than linking to the closest page. I'll just ignore them in the future then.

Though really, is it so bad that I'm trying to spread (moar) good word of the game in question?
Nah, it's just my personal sense of etiquette speaking. When I post links to others' blog I try to post a couple of excerpts at most and let people click through to see the full text. In the rare event you'd ever want to link to a post there again, you can click on the § symbol to get an anchor URL. In any case, I'm glad you enjoyed the write-up.

Edit: BrokenFiction, this is Shiren 1. Shiren 2 was for N64, I believe. It's Mysterious Dungeon 2 -- the first MD was based on Torneko from Dragon Quest IV.

ethelred

NinjaFromTheFuture said:

It sold just a tad under 200,000 copies.

BrokenFiction said:
Technically, this is Shiren 2 (Fushigi no Dungeon 2: Fuurai no Shiren). Shiren 3 is coming on Wii later this year.

No, it's Shiren 1. Shiren 1 was Mysterious Dungeon 2: Shiren, and Shiren 2 was Shiren 2: Mysterious Dungeon. It was an N64 game. It's complicated.

ethelred said:
No, it's Shiren 1. Shiren 1 was Mysterious Dungeon 2: Shiren, and Shiren 2 was Shiren 2: Mysterious Dungeon. It was an N64 game. It's complicated.

You mean the internet lied to me?

Pitchforks and torches, lads! Let's burn it!

Oh, good - I've been a bit under the weather today, and wasn't able to lay my hands on Shiren yet...it hasn't been a good time to go back to selling this topic. Should all go well (and that includes my fickle, feeble, fallible body), I'll be picking it up sometime tomorrow afternoon, and then I'll unload some bad fiction on you guys. Thanks for keeping the faith*!

Mr. Parish, if I had known you would make a guest appearance, I would've....siomething....something...a cake maybe? Your support for the cause (mainly in the form of a clear no-nonsense review) is much appreciated. There's a nice sort of "coverage" between your review and IGNs, the two ways to (intelligently) feel about the game basically being nailed between them. I'll add the link to your site and the forum discussion...er, when they come back online.

*yes, I may be emotionally unstable. why do you ask?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I just met my doom, wanted to go back to Hamlet Canyon to pick some stuff I had there but turns out that was a bad idea. I killed an Evil Soldier and the spirit fused with a Wizard and well I got owned.

I like how even if you die the world doesn't reset, and sometimes you see different stuff. that's nice.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
Mang, I put in a pre-order on 3/4 and my Game Crazy still doesn't have it.

I walked in today and asked if they got it in. It went like this.

Clerk: Hi, what can I do for you today?

Mikazuki: Hey, did you guys get Shiren for DS in?

Clerk: Can I get your phone number?

Mikazuki: Sure XXX-XXXX

*looks it up*

Clerk: It says it's not in stock.

Mikazuki: Dang, that's strange. It shipped last week, no, the 3rd to be exact. Oh well I'll come back. Thanks anyway.

*I start to walk away*

Clerk: It says your MVP card has expired.

Mikazuki: Nah I'm cool. I'll come back though. Thanks.

HAHA! I go in to pick up something that shipped 4 days ago, they don't have it, and on my way out, he thinks I'm gonna randomly buy a new MVP card? Dimitry in Las Vegas, if you're reading this...Nice try but you're crazy. :lol

Calen

Friend code: 0216-0423-9187

So my wife picks this up for me on her way home from work, and the guy at the counter gives her shit about it. "Someone needs her Pokemon fix!" So she says to him, "Looks like you're hallucinating Pokemon again. Better see someone about that."

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
omg it's SO GOOD.

the whole thing with his brother was hilarious, first he is working on a shitty store then asks me to lend him 1k gold so he could open a shop with some girl he met, I do. so I died and when Im passing through town again, turns out he lost everything and he was drunk so I was like "wtf?!" I punch him in the face and he ask me to forgive him... I do, so he joins me and he gets killed by a powered up Wizard
hahaha

Arde5643

Playing this game is almost like playing a DnD game with a smart cunning devious GM who likes to slowly torture your characters and painfully kill them with creative methods.

Basically, it's rare to get killed the same way in this game. :lol

And it's such a feeling of accomplishment when you're able to get back from the dungeon with awesome loot. It's like you've just outsmarted the cruel and cunning GM. :)

LordGek

Teasel said:
so i really really want to enter the new
trap dungeon
i have done everything i should need to do
got the melding jar and paid 10.000 gitan to naoki
but i still can't access it :/ any help?

I think they've added a step from the SNES game. Make sure you talk to EVERYONE in the Mountain Top Village.

LordGek

inthegray said:
:lol

sooo, any tips on what to do with all of the unidenfitied pots i keep finding? just carry them around until i can identify them? or should i go ahead and press on them/throw things in them?

I have developed a bit of a system, myself.

If its a "Push" Pot, push it while in the middle of a corridor so that IF its a Monster Pot, its only 2 guys popping out. You'll know after one push what you have there.

If its an "Insert" Pot, its a lot more difficult (especially in later dungeons where even more pots are introduced. One trick I use that at least narrows it a bit, is taking some not really important to me unidentified item and sticking it in the new pot and then looking in the pot. If I can take out the item it's a Pot of Holding, if it changed, it's a Pot of Change, if it's now identified it's a Pot of Identity, if it's gone it's maybe a Pot of Warehouse but if its still there unchanged, unidentified, and unaccessible...then it could be a few different things and you may want to wait to identify it before using it further (the danger being that if an Unbreakable Pot or and Explosive Pot, you will never be able to get to any of the items you put in there...well unless you have a Vacuum Scroll but that ain't happening until Fay's Final Problem).

Teasel

LordGek said:
I think they've added a step from the SNES game. Make sure you talk to EVERYONE in the Mountain Top Village.
yeah i solved it... it seems that
this time you can't access the trap dungeon if you don't get the bufoo staff first and you can't get the bufoo staff if you don't go to the other restaurant after paying the 10.000 gitan and then go talk to gaibara
i have also completed the first bonus dungeon
the trap one duh... the new rules make it a lot more harder and annoying though after a while i have started to warm up to it,those push trap make for a lot of cheap experience
meaning for a while i have the legendary wanderer ranking on something else at least :D

Top Bottom