• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best roguelike on the DS - New official thread of you will buy Shiren DS

LordGek

Schopenhauer said:
I bought Shiren last night. It has been great so far.

I just hope that there is some way to revive dead companions. I don't want to be stuck having to use the fat dude. Oryu where are you?

No worries, No matter how horribly they were killed in your current run, they'll show up again at random by your next run or so (there is some sort of chance each level that you'll see one of them wandering about like any of the other NPCs you see in the dungeons).

Schopenhauer said:

I just hope that there is some way to revive dead companions. I don't want to be stuck having to use the fat dude. Oryu where are you?

When you die (and you will) they'll be brought back, and you may run into them again through the course of your adventure.

LordGek

blu said:
so i assume you've bought Shiren DS, right?

One can only hope so...but I feel their pain. Shiren DS is INCREDIBLE, one of the best console Roguelikes out there...but its still, essentially closely based on the '95 SNES version of Shiren. Why I'm hankering so hard for Shiren 3 is that, and no not any sort of graphical whiz-bang, but the Shiren series of games has progressed a lot since '95 and Shiren 3 at least looks to be the latest step in the whole Mystery Dungeon series. Many new items, dungeon types (not just different monster sets and graphics but whole different rule variations), characters with unique abilities, etc.

BUT...sequels are always a dangerous thing. More of everything or WAYS that they decided to "evolve" the game may be cool to some and a STUPID change for others.

Like most of the recent Mystery Dungeon games have given up on the whole Level Reset concept. Sure, MAYBE IF WE'RE LUCKY, they'll allow it in some special post story dungeon, but most of the last few MD games (Torneko 3, PMD, Chocobo 3) all are based on persistent character levels. From what I've read in a poorly web translated interview they are trying somehow to combine BOTH persistent and reset character levels...but I don't really get how that would work. Perhaps there will be a series of story dungeons that allow persistent character levels but once cleared several bonus dungeons (like Shiren DS' Food and Trap themed dungeons) are unlocked that feature level resetting.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
anybody willing to mend a great injustice?

so i was peacefully walking on my way to cryptic rock, minding my own business, possibly smiling just a bit to myself after a monster house pillage (yes, it was half a map-screen big and yes, it was good) when on 14F (i believe), literally one step from the exit, one of those blue-ish 'something-something eye' jumped me. at first i scoffed at it (heck, i knew it would take me just one hit to dispose of it - i had already dealt with waves of his brethren) and i swung - and missed! the little bastard did not, though. ok, one miss may happen, i thought to myself, next one he'll be meeting the maker, so i swing again - i miss again! WTF?! and of course the little devil did not miss one bit - and took me to less than half of my hit points too! the hell with it, just one freaking hit from my mastersword +7 would shatter the prick, just one! - i swing again, and..

W21G7 5RMH C8VY5
0VQ3D LVCD MDSNW
JPB79 6HWM WNVLK
296RL WH7R 64H20

pretty please? i have so much loot on me!

ps: a even have a cursed holding jar filled to the rim, with my only blessing scroll in it :-/

blu said:
W21G7 5RMH C8VY5
0VQ3D LVCD MDSNW
JPB79 6HWM WNVLK
296RL WH7R 64H20

pretty please? i have so much loot on me!

ps: a even have a cursed holding jar filled to the rim, with my only blessing scroll in it :-/

I think I've sufficiently recovered from that awful rescue quest the other night. I'll give it a shot.

Twig

Banned
So what's the best way to steal from the shopkeeper?

I've spent all day today trying to make money by selling all my stuff collected on the way to the first shop, picking it up, and stealing it all back, but I keep dying. I can get outside with a paralyze staff, but once outside I keep dying!

Would a Scroll of Sleep work? The one time I had one, I messed up on actually getting out of the shop, so I never got to try it. I did try confusion, but they didn't stay confused long. Etc.

I know I can probably make money easier by just running the first few floors a couple times, but I wanna do it this way for fun! D:

Also this game is awesome.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Schopenhauer said:

that fat dude is probably the strongest companion in the game.

Error said:
that fat dude is probably the strongest companion in the game.

Seriously, his attacks seem a little weaker than the acupuncture guy. I never have enough rice to keep him going through more than a few floors anyway.

Error

Schopenhauer said:
Seriously, his attacks seem a little weaker than the acupuncture guy. I never have enough rice to keep him going through more than a few floors anyway.
he keeps getting stronger, when he reaches full strength he wont ask for riceballs anymore and will deal a lot of damage.

Alright, rescued. You were on floor 10, unless I screwed up some part of the password.

Rescue code:

YNFXS GD!1 JJDN!
9SXYS ZVGZ TY353
F3TN9 SWJ4 !GT6Z
4LJW4 0ZT8 RQZC0

blu

Night_Trekker said:
Alright, rescued. You were on floor 10, unless I screwed up some part of the password.

Rescue code:

YNFXS GD!1 JJDN!
9SXYS ZVGZ TY353
F3TN9 SWJ4 !GT6Z
4LJW4 0ZT8 RQZC0
*high five*

thanks!

and i was indeed on 10F, i guess it was last time i died on 14F.

btw, assuming rescuers play the same dungeon, did you see the beautiful monster house on the previous level? quite enjoyable.

ps: haha, one of my unidentified items (a jar) was a masqueraded N'G-something - when it transformed back to its true form 'it was still thinking it was a jar after so long sitting in that form' : )

pps: and Oryu was waiting for me on the next floor - hey, babe : )

inthegray

i try to play a half hour in bed every night before sleep, but i ended up playing three frickin' hours last night, staying up til 4:30AM.

i could feel the momentum, had tons of rice balls, chiro jars, and holding jars full of staffs/scrolls/herbs. by the time i got to level 27 or so, i was out of rice, death reapers had made me use all my chiro jars, and i couldn't take another death reaper attack, so i went straight to the stairs in the last two levels.

hit the level after the plains of sun and was immediately sealed before being rushed by mages, a tainted insect, and tigers with a penchant for throwing me into enemies or throwing enemies at me whenever i put any distance between myself and the mobs. no amount of staff-throwing was able to save me. farewell, far-sight bracer! :'o(

any tips on what to do when sealed? or fighting death reapers without losing 3/4 of my life?

blu

LordGek said:
One can only hope so...but I feel their pain. Shiren DS is INCREDIBLE, one of the best console Roguelikes out there...but its still, essentially closely based on the '95 SNES version of Shiren. Why I'm hankering so hard for Shiren 3 is that, and no not any sort of graphical whiz-bang, but the Shiren series of games has progressed a lot since '95 and Shiren 3 at least looks to be the latest step in the whole Mystery Dungeon series. Many new items, dungeon types (not just different monster sets and graphics but whole different rule variations), characters with unique abilities, etc.

last night, while awaiting a rescue, i watched 45+ minutes of youtube from the various shiren versions - the N64 one was quite good, and i only saw 'preview shots' from the DC one, plus one 'for windows' (?), but i also came across some shiren3 footage that was new to me - that game is more than promising, to put it blunt, and features saving over wifi (yay!)

BUT...sequels are always a dangerous thing. More of everything or WAYS that they decided to "evolve" the game may be cool to some and a STUPID change for others.

Like most of the recent Mystery Dungeon games have given up on the whole Level Reset concept. Sure, MAYBE IF WE'RE LUCKY, they'll allow it in some special post story dungeon, but most of the last few MD games (Torneko 3, PMD, Chocobo 3) all are based on persistent character levels. From what I've read in a poorly web translated interview they are trying somehow to combine BOTH persistent and reset character levels...but I don't really get how that would work. Perhaps there will be a series of story dungeons that allow persistent character levels but once cleared several bonus dungeons (like Shiren DS' Food and Trap themed dungeons) are unlocked that feature level resetting.

yes, of course, there's always the risk of the series taking a turn for the loathful, but as of this moment chunsoft have all my trust, i'd buy their next installment if the whole internet was crying how much it sucked ; )

Error

re: bungee jumping sidequest

does that means I get 2000exp everytime I go there and do that?

hit the level after the plains of sun and was immediately sealed before being rushed by mages, a tainted insect, and tigers with a penchant for throwing me into enemies or throwing enemies at me whenever i put any distance between myself and the mobs. no amount of staff-throwing was able to save me. farewell, far-sight bracer! :'o(

any tips on what to do when sealed? or fighting death reapers without losing 3/4 of my life?
that's because you decided to fight death reapers, you cant fight them. I mean well, you could, but it's gonna be waste of resources.

in this game you gotta know when you just cant go one-on-one with some enemies. the death reapers are one of those enemies, minatours are another good example. those enemies are just way too powerful for you to start trading blows with them.

another thing is that, if a floor is full of tough enemies mainly the last 5 floors which are really fucking hard. do not give into greed and start looking for loot, if you found the stairs use them. with that mindset I ended up beating the game, you gotta play it really smart in the last 5 floors really.

Volcynika

So the game finally came in. I was having fun, just killing those silly monsters. Then one dungeon I got TOTALLY SWARMED BY EVERYTHING OH GOD I DIED.

Error

Volcynika said:
So the game finally came in. I was having fun, just killing those silly monsters. Then one dungeon I got TOTALLY SWARMED BY EVERYTHING OH GOD I DIED.
happens to everyone :D

btw for hard enemies, the paralysis staff is such an important tool. that or the staff of postpone+switching staff ;)

I love this game, it really makes you be smart with your inventory.

Volcynika

Well it's already much more entertaining than Dungeon Explorer *shudders*. But I'm gonna invest some heavy time in it, thanks to good ole Spring Break going on right now.

Oh, my FC is 0516-7047-6324 . PM me if you add me!

Error

Daigoro said:
doh. i finally realized that i was unable to save you because i hadnt yet been that far in the game. my bad.

ill keep practicing.

Wander on dudes!
you need to dl the rescue request from the internet first. then after that, you have to talk to the priest in the first town who is right beside the exit, to activate the rescue mission.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I am very tempted to buy this game, but the restart-the-entire-game-if-you-die-once aspect of the game scares the shit out of me. Can anyone help remove this fear?

Error

grandjedi6 said:
I am very tempted to buy this game, but the restart-the-entire-game-if-you-die-once aspect of the game scares the shit out of me. Can anyone help remove this fear?
well, it would scare the shit out of me too if the game was long. the game is actually REALLY short (well main dungeon that is) theoretically the main quest can be finished in 2 hours or less. but of course the game is not going to let you have it that easy.

in this game you cant think of death as a punishment. think as death as a lesson, you start getting smarter after each subsequent death, you start to understand what each enemy does and what are their different special abilities, how to effectively use items, what's the best situation to use some items etc.. etc..

plus when you die, the world doesn't reset and some side quests only progressed after you past through towns several times. so each time you die, you might see some new scene or maybe you will befriend an NPC that'll join you in your travels.

you gotta come in with an open mind tho, the game is hard make no mistake about it and you WILL die. so if it bothers you that much, forget about it. but if it doesn't, give it a shot man. the game is gold for those willing to take it for what it is... an excellent console roguelike game.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Error said:
well, it would scare the shit out of me too if the game was long. the game is actually REALLY short (well main dungeon that is) theoretically the main quest can be finished in 2 hours or less. but of course the game is not going to let you have it that easy.

in this game you cant think of death as a punishment. think as death as a lesson, you start getting smarter after each subsequent death, you start to understand what each enemy does and what are their different special abilities, how to effectively use items, what's the best situation to use some items etc.. etc..

plus when you die, the world doesn't reset and some side quests only progressed after you past through towns several times. so each time you die, you might see some new scene or maybe you will befriend an NPC that'll join you in your travels.

you gotta come in with an open mind tho, the game is hard make no mistake about it and you WILL die. so if it bothers you that much, forget about it. but if it doesn't, give it a shot man. the game is gold for those willing to take it for what it is.

Oh thank god.

::eek:rders game::

Error

for people having problems with the game, try to do those Fey's Puzzles. they really teach how to play in the game.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
grandjedi6 said:

Simple Answer: Rescue codes.

Long Answer: The longer you play, the smarter you get, the less you'll have to worry about dying in the first place.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
blu said:
so i assume you've bought Shiren DS, right?
I have, but I didn't know it was a port of the old SNES game.

Torneko: The Last Hope is probably my favorite PS1 game of all time. I almost immediately felt the step backwards from that when playing Shiren DS. Don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome game and it's PERFECT for a portable system (I would have killed to have the GBA versions of Torneko 2 and 3, trust me).

I did not know that Torneko 3 had persistent levels. I would assume it was like the Chocobo game in that the "main quest" had persistent levels and then there was a slew of bonus dungeons that had reset levels.

I beat every dungeon in Torneko 2 except the very last one where you had to do 100 floors with no entry items.

GasMan

Error said:
for people having problems with the game, try to do those Fey's Puzzles. they really teach how to play in the game.

Hmm, I played for an hour or two yesterday and it didn't quite click with me. I think I just don't 'get' it at all. Granted this is the first game of this type that I have ever really tried. Just feels alien at the moment. Will try the puzzles though. :)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Why did they waste time on this shitty US boxart when they had one of the coolest boxarts ever...? Do they want this game to wallow in obscurity that badly?

blu

GasMan said:
Hmm, I played for an hour or two yesterday and it didn't quite click with me. I think I just don't 'get' it at all. Granted this is the first game of this type that I have ever really tried. Just feels alien at the moment. Will try the puzzles though. :)
think of it as a very addictive, adventurous and funny game of chess. and just like chess you can finish it in one sitting, or you can protrude it for weeks. and yes - do try the puzzles!

Error said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MHqb...eature=related

lmao

holly munchkins! that must be the funnies moment yet in this game of awe!

and how does one get the chef to open a tavern there? and did the guy use weed for the effect?

this game will never stop to amaze me.

Lakupo

Kodiak said:
Why did they waste time on this shitty US boxart when they had one of the coolest boxarts ever...? Do they want this game to wallow in obscurity that badly?

If Shiren doesn't sell, then they won't have any reason to localize Shiren 3! Less work for them to do! It's the only answer. D: Fortunately, it's becoming a cult hit so they'll have to heed our demands for Shiren 3! Mwaha! :D

What the hell @ that video. I'm surprised Shiren didn't get killed in that.

Twig

Banned
blu said:
holly munchkins! that must be the funnies moment yet in this game of awe!

and how does one get the chef to open a tavern there? and did the guy use weed for the effect?

this game will never stop to amaze me.
I think he used a Kingly weed. Or it might just be one of those weird things that sometimes happens in games.

Hilarious, though.

LordGek

Lakupo said:
If Shiren doesn't sell, then they won't have any reason to localize Shiren 3! Less work for them to do! It's the only answer. D: Fortunately, it's becoming a cult hit so they'll have to heed our demands for Shiren 3! Mwaha! :D

Yeah!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The translation is terrible. When Pejilaki (can't remember his name) asks you if you would mind him calling you brother and you say "no, I don't mind" and he gets all offended....

ugh I was so mad. I thought I lost the opportunity to have him join.

Twig

Banned
Y2Kev said:
The translation is terrible. When Pejilaki (can't remember his name) asks you if you would mind him calling you brother and you say "no, I don't mind" and he gets all offended....

That's not a bad translation. That's just his personality. (;

Possible spoiler for later (unless you already got there):
he likes being punched!

dammit i didn't even see this game in any previews nor any mention of it until now. i will pick it up. is this game like secret of mana? because i LOVED secret of mana.

Twig

Banned
ChaoticBlue said:
dammit i didn't even see this game in any previews nor any mention of it until now. i will pick it up. is this game like secret of mana? because i LOVED secret of mana.
Uh... no. It's a roguelike. Secret of Mana is an action RPG. D:

Do you know what a roguelike is? Nethack might be the most common example.

ChaoticBlue said:

No, it is not like Secret of Mana; Shiren is a roguelike, in the vein of games like Nethack and Powder. Granted, you still have the loot whoring that abounds in SoM type games, but the actual gameplay is a touch removed.

blu said:
*high five*

thanks!

No problem.

btw, assuming rescuers play the same dungeon, did you see the beautiful monster house on the previous level? quite enjoyable.

Yep. Most of the rescue quests I've tried so far involve monster houses and wide-open, one-room floors. They can turn your progress around instantly.

blu

ChaoticBlue said:
as has been noted already, the two games differ significantly mechanics-wise, but don't let that sway you from an awesome, awesome game. i used to swear by the action RPGs and hack'n'slash dungeon crawlers, and would always shun the roguelikes, until recently when curiosity got me to try shiren, and look at me now : )

Y2Kev said:

I restarted the entire game because of that : |

Error

how many floors in tainted dungeon? got to floor 47 on my first real try.

if you think the main quest dungeon is hard, lulz. wait till you try tainted dungeon, 2 fucking monsters houses and I survived, I just ran out of good items to use.

LordGek

Error said:
how many floors in tainted dungeon? got to floor 47 on my first real try.

if you think the main quest dungeon is hard, lulz. wait till you try tainted dungeon, 2 fucking monsters houses and I survived, I just ran out of good items to use.

Hey, you're almost there, only 52 levels to go! :D

(oh, but don't worry, I'm sure things get easier after the 47th level...no unbelievably nasty creatures with insane abilities that can screw with you even if not in the same room...nope, none of that).

Volcynika

So when you choose the Quit option on the game and save progress, does that save where you currently are in the game? I just wanna make sure before I turn it off D:

ghibli99

Thanks for the recommendation... this game has nice 16-bit style animations, and cool music. Gameplay seems pretty good so far, and reading this thread has helped me in terms of expectations. This is actually the first time I've played a game like this, so it's definitely a learning experience.

Llyranor

Wow, this is freaking addictive. I'm already 8 hrs in since I got it Friday night. I've died a couple of times, complete the 50 puzzles, was finally able to save the
lost girl
, got
the blinder and the masseur
as party members (both being awesome), got a nice sword and a nice enemy/item detection armband, and just about to tackle the swamp. I got to Table Mountain on my earlier run, but died on the first floor.

So good.

Top Bottom