• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Running Animation

file.php

That's the walk animation from that game. Here's the run.

285143_79db22d85da045079a50491132101a2e.gif

Okami because of the gorgeous trail of flowers in her wake. That gif was the best one I could find, but it looks a lot better in game.

tumblr_n4csh2YN6u1qjuvfeo5_r1_500.gif

I gotta say GTAVs animations. Despite how many people say it feels while moving, the animations are pretty great in my eyes. I love how it feels too :D
Grow Home's procedural animation

FpRpvK9.gif

Mcd5N6O.gif
I have heard of this game. I was going to ignore it, due to playing other games, and having more games on deck to be played. But these two gifs pretty much just sold me on the game. Game looks wild!

The Argus

I gotta say GTAVs animations. Despite how many people say it feels while moving, the animations are pretty great in my eyes. I love how it feels too :D

GTAV,IV, RDR, and Max Payne 3 all have the best movement animations for their respective launch year. I love how all of V's protagonists all have different walk and run animations. Niko had this swag to him, Marston stormed around heavy footed like the man with no name. Rockstar nailed it with the Euphoria engine, and any game that doesn't have physics based animation looks old fashioned to me. Push an npc down the subway platform/ old times brothel stairs and watch them try and grab the handrail. Bump a dude crossing the street with a bike and watch as his momentum shifts naturally as they recover (or not). Their animations along with Naughty Dog are Disney calibre and the best in their league.

No mention to the walking/running animations of Assassins Creed Unity? What kind of flop thread!

giphy.gif

ignor_by_chabbles-d8a3ukh.gif

I like Assasins Creed 3's connor running.

tumblr_msd05vw2xg1s9a1zuo2_500.gif

Connor's heavier dude than past and current heroes, and the animations reflected that.

A bad ass running animation and transition system.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I always dug the rhythm of the running animation of the characters in Phantasy Star Online. It would often match up with music I would listen to while playing the game.

I also love Rayman's running animation in Rayman 2: The Great Escape, of which I can't seem to find a GIF for online.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Connor's heavier dude than past and current heroes, and the animations reflected that.

IIRC the animation director specifically worked on these himself.

I agree with all MGS V's posts, Big Boss is a fucking beast unleashed when running.

I quite dig Connor's animation when running on AC3, especially when hunting or pursuing someone and he keeps spinning his tomahawk on his hand at the same time. Makes he look like a badass predator.

tumblr_msd05vw2xg1s9a1zuo2_500.gif

Aw yiss!

Mephala

Muramasa. Looks good and I like how the characters sometimes takes a look around.
FIde1yz.gif

Not sure if it counts but I really like the Tigrex's running animations. Particularly sped up during rage mode. So much anger and force in it.
Ooy9zo6.png

Juan from Guacamelee. So much style, so deliberate, so iconic, so much strength and machismo. All other stylized run animations can bow before it.

c707ec9ce9e6ca6b98e4a5c47b594d5c.gif

Miracle

In Xenoblade X it just feels so good to run. Great animation and feel.

I was gonna say this too. Just got the game yesterday and the running and jumping animations are fantastic in that game.

Most games for some reason, the running animations very stiff or more difficult to control when turning than it should be.

Drac84

Walking and Running in The Order 1886 was pretty good

MeekDependentFoal.gif

And it needed to look good, being 80% of the game.

Top Bottom