• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Sub $300 headset for call of duty?

nikos

I use home theatre also. What level do you have the maste and effects volume at?

Nice! So many people recommend Boost Low or Boost High but those have too much of an artificial/processed sound for me.

I have Effects volume at 100. Master is currently at 70 so I can hear people in discord. Now that you mention Effects volume, I've realized I have never really messed with it. Wonder if it affects all or some sound effects and how footsteps would be affected. The good news is a directional footstep audio fix is planned for Season 3, plus Warzone 2 is on its way.

Ribi

Do you care about true tone. Or whatever it's called when you hear yourself as you talk? If so how is it with your setup ?
Oh I hate hearing myself talk. My set up is the stack + a fifine mic + Blessing 2 it's good and I don't get any of that hearing myself nonsense. I always found it odd

S0ULZB0URNE

Is Kaira Pro really better than Pulse 3d actually?
The mic and monitoring functionality is working driverless on pc fine. I am playing bf5 with it.
The only drawback is that mic can be a bit sensitive and battery life is about 10-12 hours
After you tweak the EQ with the mobile app.
The sound has more bass and treble than the 3D Pulse,it's way more sexy,comfortable thanks to the memory foam and if we add the haptics it puts it on another level.

I have both PS5 and the XSX version(no memory foam or haptics)

S0ULZB0URNE

Buddy had arctis pro. It sunded dryish to me and was too small on my head. Pads are scratchy. Not for me.
He excahnged for blackshark v2 pro and its fantastic. I have pulse 3d and I am happy.

About ps5 - No, there is no optical. But dualsense got headphone jack and microphone built in.
And usb = optiucal more or less. It's digital
Don't like the Artics 40mm drivers, 50mm is the lowest id go.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Man I've done like 10 hours research on this and I'm more confused then before. They all have a downside.

The astro A50 would be perfect but they need that adapter but apparently you can't do VRR or 120fps on your TV when you use that or can you if your TV is HDMI 2.1 and has earc? And can the voice chat game chat mix be adjusted with a button on the headphones like with the pulse 3d?

The Penrose look like the best sounding of the gaming headphones but they have shitty connection issues, bad customer support and a few other problems.

Then I'm confused. Is there any point in getting a mix amp or DAC if it's plugged into the past via USB. The more i dig the harder this gets. Maybe I'll just settle with a 150e headset with a better mic for now and when a new gen of Astros or wherever come out I'll get them.
Do you need this setup to work with just a PS5?

Kerotan

Do you need this setup to work with just a PS5?
Yeah bro. If it was possible to also have discord or running simultaneously while playing warzone that would be a bonus but not mandatory. Ps5 might even integrate that native who knows.

I want the ps5 tempest 3d audio to work on the headset. Games that don't support it like warzone need to be good.

The headset has to be able to easily adjust the game audio Vs party chat audio with an average to good mic.

Any adapters that require my past to run through which could stop me getting 4k 60fps or lower quality visuals are a no go also.

teezzy

Banned
Razer Kaira Pro for me

My favorite feature is that it lets me talk to friends on Discord voice chat over my phone while i game on my xbox with all the audio coming from the same headset

It's awesome. Detachable mic. Super comfy too. Sounds great.

https%3A%2F%2Fhybrismediaprod.blob.core.windows.net%2Fsys-master-phoenix-images-container%2Fhbb%2Fh41%2F9099111923742%2Fkaira-5.jpg

Last edited:

Kerotan

The better option is an open headphone combined with a vmoda boom pro mic.

Gaming headsets are (overpriced)trash.

Best sounding wireless gaming headset by far.
I've bought the Penrose and while they're great my mic makes a hissing static sound that my friends can hear. Is this something that would be solved by a different mic to plug in such as a vmoda boompro?

FrankWza

I've bought the Penrose and while they're great my mic makes a hissing static sound that my friends can hear. Is this something that would be solved by a different mic to plug in such as a vmoda boompro?

The boompro is wired and would need to connect to your controller or console. Did you update the firmware on the Penrose? You could also try plugging the Penrose USB adapter into a usb hub and see if that helps with the hiss. Maybe it’s too close to something else plugged into the other USB port? Try another port and see if the hiss stays.

Kerotan

The boompro is wired and would need to connect to your controller or console. Did you update the firmware on the Penrose? You could also try plugging the Penrose USB adapter into a usb hub and see if that helps with the hiss. Maybe it’s too close to something else plugged into the other USB port? Try another port and see if the hiss stays.
I've my pulse 3d wireless dongle plugged into the usb also. Could that be affecting it?

FrankWza

I've my pulse 3d wireless dongle plugged into the usb also. Could that be affecting it?
Possible. Swap the USB adapter from port to port and unplug everything else. You can also try a usb extension cable or hub to move it away from the console.

Topher

Gold Member
Razer Kaira Pro for me

My favorite feature is that it lets me talk to friends on Discord voice chat over my phone while i game on my xbox with all the audio coming from the same headset

It's awesome. Detachable mic. Super comfy too. Sounds great.

https%3A%2F%2Fhybrismediaprod.blob.core.windows.net%2Fsys-master-phoenix-images-container%2Fhbb%2Fh41%2F9099111923742%2Fkaira-5.jpg

I use the Razer Blackshark's on PS5. Has the same driver as the Kaira Pro's on Xbox. Great sounding headset. I considered Kaira Pro on Xbox, but I had issues with direct connect headsets on XSX so I went with the HyperX which used a 2.4 GHz dongle.

Shifty

Shifty Shifty

Why is the Razer Kaira Pro funny?

🤔
Because Razer are manufacturers of the finest clown cars, a true comedy factory.

tenor.gif

Perhaps they've changed, but last time I bought something of theirs, it broke within a week.
They then asked me to snip the USB cable as part of the RMA process - to render the already-broken device truly inoperable lest their ultra primo hardware fell into nefarious hands, no doubt.
After which they sent me a webstore coupon that discounted every basket item individually, instead of the the grand total. Because Razer only employ the highest tier of web engineers.

So I did get a big-ass box of questionably useful swag out of it, but I've never seen a company talk the talk so hard only to faceplant with even greater vigor when the time came to walk the walk. Makes me laugh whenever I'm reminded of it :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Because Razer are manufacturers of the finest clown cars, a true comedy factory.

tenor.gif

Perhaps they've changed, but last time I bought something of theirs, it broke within a week.
They then asked me to snip the USB cable as part of the RMA process - to render the already-broken device truly inoperable lest their ultra primo hardware fell into nefarious hands, no doubt.
After which they sent me a webstore coupon that discounted every basket item individually, instead of the the grand total. Because Razer only employ the highest tier of web engineers.

So I did get a big-ass box of questionably useful swag out of it, but I've never seen a company talk the talk so hard only to faceplant with even greater vigor when the time came to walk the walk. Makes me laugh whenever I'm reminded of it :messenger_grinning:

How long ago was that? I've been using a Razer headset for a few months now it is fine.

I've hated just about every steelseries product I've ever owned for what it's worth. And their customer service, at least in the past, was awful. I'd recommend against them out of personal experience.

Top Bottom