• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Time Travel Movie?

It's unfortunately a spoiler for the movie itself, so I'm not sure how I can talk about it without simply putting spoilers over the movie name. It was a relatively recent movie that I found handled time travel in a more unique manner than most movies.

Arrival had good use of time travel. Instead of overwriting events with time travel, we literally saw time travel in real time.

I look at it this way, instead of having the movie think of time travel like a road you pick up and place down in front of you to change direction, our character instead treats time like a layered cake that she is able to experience by penetrating all the layers at once

I love Star Trek IV the most because it's the outlier in many ways to me.

For once the travelers are actually coming from a far and away better future (except for no whales of course).

I'll be the weird guy who picks BttF 3.

What? Randomly becoming a western was awesome.

Inception, Interstellar

Am I missing something? Neither of those have time travel. >.>

Well, okay, I guess the Tesseract scene sort of counts (though not really, he only acts upon the past rather than going to it).

Since a lot of notable ones were already mentioned, I really liked:

151cafab6462b8eac9a81f6fcbb6b182.jpg

It's Danzel being his awesome self in another Tony Scott production with a scifi twist halfway through!

RIP director Tony Scott.

Terminator 1 and 2
Back to the Future 1
Bill and Ted
Interstellar
12 Monkeys
Primer

In that order

...actually on second thought I don't really think stuff like interstellar really counts.

jett

D-Member
I guess I got Your Name spoiled in this thread? Why do people gotta be this way?

Anyway, it's Terminator and T2 for me.

Joeku

Since a lot of notable ones were already mentioned, I really liked:

151cafab6462b8eac9a81f6fcbb6b182.jpg

It's Danzel being his awesome self in another Tony Scott production with a scifi twist halfway through!

RIP director Tony Scott.

Unless I'm thinking of something else, isn't this movie like super dumb?

Doesn't Denzel realize he can affect the past by shining a laser pointer through a screen?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Amazed at their good taste!

The opposite. The first film is one of the best screenplays of its era and tells a touchingly human story that is merely facilitated by time travel. In the sequel, time travel is the story, and it's a fairly slapdash plot with a lot of weird holes, awkward changes to the characters to set up the third film (Marty's obsession with being called chicken, Doc's fondness for trains and the Old West, etc.), and works hard to undo a lot of the outcomes of the original film. The entire Old Biff thing makes no sense, not just in that he somehow knows how to operate the time machine but that Doc Brown, who repeatedly states the dangers of time travel and the hazards of potential misuse, apparently leaves the fucking door unlocked and the keys in the ignition when he parks the most dangerous thing ever invented on the street in a neighborhood repeatedly acknowledged as crime-ridden.

The first film is a masterpiece. The sequels are okay but nothing special in terms of storytelling, although at least the third remembers to be character driven instead of being a mindless plot march. The future sequences of 2 are a lot of fun and the most memorable part of the movie, but the rest of it is a bit of a slog. It's not in any imaginable way better than the first, and if you're just talking about movies that have time travel as their focus instead of as a device to get to the real story (as BttF1 uses it), there are at least half a dozen better and more thoughtful uses of the concept than BttF2, including the first Bill & Ted movie.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Primer and Timecrimes may have the best time travel, but I wouldn't consider them the best movies with time travel in it. I'll put films with more lay back takes on time travel to favor the story like Terminator over it.
Loved Timecrimes. Great movie.

Also Triangle.

geomon

The best move about time travel is Back to the Future. After that, it's Millennium with Kris Kristofferson and Cheryl Ladd.

millenium.jpg

LewieP

It's 12 Monkeys by a mile. La Jetée is fantastic too. I hated the 12 Monkeys TV show though.

Also Los Cronocrímenes, Primer, Groundhog Day, Back to the Future, Bill & Ted, Terminator 1&2, Star Trek IV,

Dirca

I'll be the weird guy who picks BttF 3.

What? Randomly becoming a western was awesome.

Am I missing something? Neither of those have time travel. >.>

Well, okay, I guess the Tesseract scene sort of counts (though not really, he only acts upon the past rather than going to it).
Interstellar had "real" time travel as we understand it now. 3 hours on a planet near a black hole = 21 years of "our time" has passed.
Project Almanac (for most recent)
Otherwise I'd also vote for The Butterfly Effect.
Good choices. I was pleasantly surprised with Project Almanac

jerd

That spoiler is a bummer

Primer and Predestination are my favorites. Off topic but Shane Carruth's other movie Upstream Color is just as good as Primer imo

Top Bottom