• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Video Game Comedies

Comedy in games is hard. I mean, just getting a well-written story is hard enough, but good comedy? Pretty difficult. However, some exist.

So, your favourite video game comedies (whether the comedy is a result of the gameplay or the writing/acting).

What comes to mind for me are the following:

Saints Row IV - Playing as Nolan North, this is one of the best comedies I've ever experienced. It's just... so... stupidly lovable. The gameplay isn't a ton to write home about, but the acting is great, and it feels like everyone just had a ton of funny making something so dumb. Nolan North pretty much plays himself which makes it funnier.

Portal 2 - Great voice acting throughout and a deft script had me playing this with a half-grin all the way through. It gets pretty dark here and there, but it retains a great comedic edge with characters like Cave Johnson, Wheatley, and GLADOS.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - Somebody time traveled to the 80s, took a hit of acid with Michael Biehn, and then got punched in the face. Not a huge fan of the gameplay, but the aesthetic and acting is hilarious.

What else, guys?

inm8num2

tumblr_ma0gj4m6aT1ryg5i4o1_500.jpg

Sojgat

Alpha Protocol - if you want to, you can basically play the game as Sterling Archer, and the other characters will react to you accordingly. Comedy gold.

Richie

Rare's Banjo Tooie and of course Conker's Bad Fur Day were crammed with chuckles and laugh out loud moments all the way through.

Earthbound, holy divine precious hell, Earthbound.

A special mention goes for Kid Icarus: Uprising. Sakurai needs to write more in this vein, damnit.

LEGO City Undercover

Good call. Some jokes aim too low, but in overall it's one helluva funny package.

calder

Most of the LucasArts adventure games were surprisingly funny. The obviously funny ones like Monkey Island and Sam and Max are clearly comedic naturally, but games like Full Throttle and Grim Fandango were often extremely funny in sections - less reliant on jokes and more on humour arising from the characters and their reactions to the events surrounding them.

Monkey Island always licked my funny bone perfectly. It has memorable characters, a realized world and some completely absurd puzzles.

Sam and Max Telltale games.
Some people only like season 3 (Devils Playhouse) and think the other 2 seasons aren't funny but those people are dumb and grumpy

Broank

Dikembe Mutombo's 4 1/2 Weeks to Save the World was pretty ridiculous. Ratchet and Clank games used to always make me chuckle. And Portal of course.

Jintor

I think Psychonauts is a pretty funny game, although it's a little less out and out about it.

Oh yeah, Kid Icarus! I was fucking doubled over on some of that dialogue.

squidyj

All this thread does is remind me of the terrible, immersion breaking, potty humor that I'm sure to find once I start playing GTA V. I'll be all "MOTHERFUCKING HEAT, YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH' and then I'll drive my getaway car past a rusty rounds and all of my excitement will evaporate.

Many (in particular old school) Point and Click adventures are quite humorous.

The Day of The Tentacle

mrmickfran

Why did it take so long for a Kid Icarus mention?

Pit: Am I ever going to get to the top of this tower?
Viridi
: I warned you before we got here that it was a long way up.
Pit: Yeah, but this place is so huge, we even had a loading screen back there.
Viridi
: Shhh, they're going to hear you! We're not supposed to talk about that!

From the same chapter:

Viridi
: Those floor panels alternate between hurting you and not hurting you. They don't seem to have any affect on those Underworld enemies, though. Odd.
Chariot Master: It's a known issue. It'll be resolved in the next version of the tower.
Pit: Someone needs a better QA department.

Deadpool really made me laugh. Although this kind of 4th-wall breaking humor that's so popular right now in games like that, Blood Dragon, Saints Row etc are plucking the low hanging fruit. They're funny but video games are just SUCH an easy target for this kind of thing.

Ratchet and Clank games consistently make me laugh, mostly Captain Quark and Mr. Zurkon. Quark is that common Zap Brannigan archetype but he's so well written

Kurod

Banned
illbleed. the game had my in stitches especially the worm and toy story levels.

Haha another vote for illbleed. Holy crap at the Toy Hunter chapter. That was the craziest thing I think I had ever seen in a video game.

Also, I didn't find out until much later that you can totally
rescue Randy without getting his brain back in the woodpuppets chapter. This makes for hilarious dialogue in the killerman chapter if you play as him.

Top Bottom