• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best way to get Mass Effect with all DLC?

Althane

So, I'm finally deciding that I want to get through Mass Effect 3 (for completion's sake, and because I actually do enjoy the story, I just never got around to ME3. I'm going to start with ME2, because I have a pretty much 100% save file for ME1).

So, I'm playing it on the PC. I own ME1 and ME2 on Steam, deluxe versions which come with some DLC parts included. I want to finish ME2, and then play ME3 with it's DLC.

Is there an efficient way to do this? Looking at Bioware's site, they still use "Bioware Points" which make me buy some inane amount, rather than just charging me directly. The most efficient way seems to be to buy their 1600 ($20) and 1200 ($15) point packs, since the DLC I'm looking for (Kasumi, Overlord, Arrival, and Shadow Broker) costs about 2,500 points.

Is there some complete pack (looked on Origin) that has everything so I don't have to spend stupid money on stupid points? Or should I just submit an e-mail to Bioware, tell them the system sucks balls, they should change it, and play it without the DLC (I'm expecting a lot of quotes bolding this part with "Yes", honestly)?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Nope. The only way to get them is with Bioware points.

At this time, I'd say your best bet is to wait for the (hopeful) PS4/X1 remaster comes and HOPE that they repackage the entire series into one giant package.

Yeah, that's the best advice I can give.

But PC DLC pretty much never goes on sale.

Bioware Points is the only way, as far as I know. Pretty fucked up deal they dealt.

It's why I will likely never finish Mass Effect unless Bioware does something.

malfcn

Serious about Bioware points? They aren't a whole platform like Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox. That currency isn't going to get you much else.

Althane

So, playing on PC (hence BW Points). No plans right now for getting a XB1 or PS4, although maybe in a year or two.

Origin has a "Collection", but it seems to be the 3 games with one or two pieces of DLC in there, not a complete bundle.

What happened to Morrowind-style GOTY collections where you could get the game and all its expansions/DLCs/whatevers in one go? :(

Edit: 0mega's quote and this post made me realize I use "So," way too much as a sentence opener....

Jawmuncher

Yep the DLC for ME2 and ME3 never goes on sale for PC. Which I think is kind of ridiculous. At this point I would bet if they just did 50% people would cave even on the shitty bioware points.

So, playing on PC (hence BW Points). No plans right now for getting a XB1 or PS4, although maybe in a year or two.

Origin has a "Collection", but it seems to be the 3 games with one or two pieces of DLC in there, not a complete bundle.

What happened to Morrowind-style GOTY collections where you could get the game and all its expansions/DLCs/whatevers in one go? :(

ME never got one on any platform, guess the DLC was always selling pretty consistently.

I think Borderlands 2 GOTY edition is like that. Feels like Bioware holds the DLC hostage.

Fisty

Sorry OP, maybe wait until ME4 gets a legit announcement... thats when theyll give us details about the remastered, complete edition (which PC will get a sku of too, likely)

Althane

Sorry OP, maybe wait until ME4 gets a legit announcement... thats when theyll give us details about the remastered, complete edition (which PC will get a sku of too, likely)

Hm, hearing some of the story parts of ME4 is what got me interested in doing a ME2/3 run, to prepare.

That's a fair point though. Any idea when that announcement might show up? E3?

Sijil

The only way I managed on PC was getting the Boxed trilogy (Which looks very nice by the way) on sale, then I just got the DLC's through Origin on the course of 3 months. I tried Origin Mexico but the price was about the same.

It does not. The PS3 version has most of the ME2 DLC on it though and is thus the better value.

Be that as it may the game has not aged well on the PS3 from what I've seen, certainly not the version that I would recommend these days.

It's a shame that EA never put out GOTY editions of the games. Microsoft put out the Platinum Hits edition of ME1, which came with an awesome bonus disc including BDTS, and documentaries, concept art, and other goodies.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Seriously I'm also just right on the verge of buying Mass Effect Collection on Steam right now because it's 75% off. Why is the developer making the game so difficult to enjoy ? From this whole Bioware coins thing to no controller support, it's almost like they just don't want you to play the game :( I've never played the game series before and am interested in starting, but there seems to just be a lot of obstacles ahead in order to really be able to enjoy the game.

Links_fantasy

I'm still baffled theirs no GOTY trilogy edition, this is one of only a few remakes/ remasters I'd like to see on PS4 but it has to have all the DLC. Hopefully it's an E3 announcement.

Doomedfool

Yeah, I keep thinking that I want to do a complete run-through of the series. Then I think about how much all the dlc would cost me, and how many other games I could buy instead for that money and say screw that.

Would love for them to do some sort of complete edition or a nice sale on those effing bioware points.

Ganondorfo

Sorry for bumping this thread, but what are the must own DLC's of Mass Effect series?

A collegue told me Laire of the Shadow Broker (Mass Effect 2) and Citadel (3). Is that true?

Zakalwe

Banned
Sorry for bumping this thread, but what are the must own DLC's of Mass Effect series?

A collegue told me Laire of the Shadow Broker (Mass Effect 2) and Citadel (3). Is that true?

Shadow Broker and Overloard are great for 2. I enjoyed all of 2's DLC, but these stand out.

Citadel for 3.

There's an EU sale on all ME3 DLC on PS3 atm, too.

Bessy67

For me it was Bring Down the Sky in ME1; Lair of the Shadow Broker, Stolen Memory and Overlord in ME2 and Leviathan, From Ashes and Citadel in ME3. Although Citadel is only on the list for fanservice and not for the actual mission.

Moaradin

Most of the DLC is pretty good. ME2 has Lair of the Shadow Broker, which is fantastic. Overlord is pretty good and so are the DLC characters.

ME3 must haves are Citadel (one of the best DLCs I've ever played), Leviathan and From Ashes (still can't believe this was day 1 DLC. It's a very important character to the lore). Omega is alright but it's pretty optional. Play it if you really liked the place from ME2.

astonish

This thread resparked my interest in finishing the ME3 DLC, but boy its expensive on 360 ($14.99 x 2 for the pieces I'm missing).

From ashes was essential for ME3 and then I bought leviathan only to discover my saves were corrupt. I intend to just do a run through through the whole trilogy at some point...

I remember almost all the DLC for Mass Effect being really great, much better than most games. Exceptions being that stupid arena DLC from 1 and the very last DLC of 2 (which might have been free?) which just bridged 2-3.

Bytes

I think your best bet is buying the Mass Effect Collection on Origin, but then you still have to buy all of the missing DLC for 2 and 3. I would wait until the next time the Collection goes on sale so at least you save some money to use for the DLC.

Hello. Sorry for the bump/necro, but I am completely new to the series. Now PC and XB360 aren't options because I don't have either (or rather, my PC is nowhere near powerful enough and I won't be able to upgrade for a few months). As such, what would my best option be to get the game and all the DLC? Does the PS2 version come with any bundled DLC?

Hello. Sorry for the bump/necro, but I am completely new to the series. Now PC and XB360 aren't options because I don't have either (or rather, my PC is nowhere near powerful enough and I won't be able to upgrade for a few months). As such, what would my best option be to get the game and all the DLC? Does the PS2 version come with any bundled DLC?

PS3 version of 2 comes with most of the DLC in it, getting the collection for PS3 would be your best bet then purchasing the DLC for 3 afterwords.

chemicals

Just pay whatever for the pc versions... Mass Effect 1 is barely playable on xb360/ps3 and it's the best game of the series.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Leviathan is so essential to the overall story that to this day I am amazed that it is DLC.

Completely honest answer for PC, torrents.

Be aware OP that loading times on PS3 are atrocious. We're talking minutes here to go from one deck to the other.

edit: nvm it's a necro

Jakabok

All the 360 games run much smoother on Xbox One and the DLC is all half price right now (just snarfed the lot from XBL). If you don't have the discs you can get the trilogy with EA Access (can't buy digitally from XBL).

kromeo

The link in game in Mass Effect 2 takes you to a dead site and I couldn't see anything about it on the main Bioware page so I just gave up. I'm sure it's possible somehow

Althane

They could still be waiting 🌝

It's funny you say that...

I only dropped by Gaming to check in on the NierR Automata thread, and lo and behold I see my own thread on the front page.

I'll confess: I still haven't played through all of ME2 & 3 because of this damn DLC nonsense.

And this makes me realize I haven't played a BioWare game that they've made since 2010, because of this damn DLC bullshit.

I guess I can freely say, "Fuck your DLC bullshit BioWare, I'm not buying any of your games!"?

I'd love to try these acclaimed games sometime. But with all the stuff about Bioware points, I think I'll continue waiting for a PS4/Xbox collection to play them. Which means I may never play them at all.

jryeje29

Completely honest answer for PC, torrents.

Be aware OP that loading times on PS3 are atrocious. We're talking minutes here to go from one deck to the other.

edit: nvm it's a necro

Even though its a necrobump and I really dont like to support it nor should anyone for 99% of reasons. This really is just the easiest way to go about playing the dlc, I owned the first 2 games on steam and the third on origin and thanks to bioware points making it so difficult i decided to use a torrent and my god it just works. Bioware, EA whoever just someone please either put the dlc in the regular stores making them easy to buy, or just make them free as an update to the game, or let me buy a complete remaster of all of it. It cant be that hard or expensive to do one of them.

Top Bottom