• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Xbox One exclusives (not available on PC)?

Z..

A friend is lending me his in exchange for my PS4 because he wants to play Persona 5 and I'd be down for some Sunset Overdrive and Halo 5.

I know will eventually purchase this console whenever I can find one for a ridiculous price since it seems it will essentially replace my 360 and as such I have already purchased Rare Replay and Sunset Overdrive which both go for quite cheap. He has Halo 5.

What else is there? I will eventually buy the Master Chief Collection but I've played Halo 1~3 plus ODST and Reach three times each so I'm not really excited about it at all at the moment. Didn't care for 4 so not keen on replaying it either.

Can't think of anythign outside these 4. What else is there?

Also, should I play Halo 5 or Sunset Overdrive first?

Starting with Conker regardless, but curious to know what Gaf thinks.

LewieP

The prior Forza games weren't on PC, new ones are though.

I'd look into the 360/oXbox BC too, Black just released is a great FPS. There's 360 titles like Blue Dragon, Catherine, Daytona USA, Fable II, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2, Lost Odyssey, Radiant Silvergun, Red Dead Redemption, Shadows of the Damned, Skate 3.

Edit: I know you have a 360, but if you missed any of these games first time around, they will run a lot better on the Xbox One.

Lord_Santa

Neo Member
For the first time this generation, I've caved in and finally decided to purchase a PS4. Simply because of The Last of Us Part 2 and God Of War, both of which are PS4 exclusives. I have a pretty good PC so if these were also available for PC I wouldn't bother.

I think Microsoft have potentially killed the appeal of the Xbox One as a console for people that were on the fence (especially for those like myself that already own a gaming PC). There are no must have console sellers only available on Xbox One. Having said that, Sunset Overdrive is pretty cool, as others have already mentioned.

Z..

Geezus... How does Microsoft not realize that this Play Anywhere crap is hurting their hardware sales?
Not sure that is the case, really. PC crowd is a different audience that likely wouldn't spring for a XbOne if the games weren't coming to PC but that does buy them on PC, might as well make that extra buck. It's doing pretty well in the territories where it's popular. The PS4 just completelly killed it everywhere else, unfortunately.

N21

Geezus... How does Microsoft not realize that this Play Anywhere crap is hurting their hardware sales?

It's not and by the end of 2018, I think they'll stop selling their games on PC.

How bad is it, you ask? The amount of players on Forza Horizon 3 on PC isn't even at 10% and that's one of the best selling version of Forza Horizon.

I don' t know if you checked it on PC but be sure to try Path of Exile (It is F2P BTW) on Xbox One if you didn' t do so on PC. It is a much better game than Diablo 3 ever can be imo. Plus, it is free and not P2 win.

I you get an xbox one s and have a 4k tv, then there's a lot of UHD movies...

That's literally all I use my xbox one for. PC for everything else.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
At the same time you see the abysmal Windows Store sales? People obviously aren't ditching the XB1 because of pc.
I don't know about that. Just look at the 360. I mean we can argue about what the reason was it sold so well but I for one think it having many (timed) exclusives that didn't come out on PC as well was a big part of it.

I bought my XB1 JUST for Gears 4. I had a ton of fun with it and have no regrets on that front. Of course its not XB exclusive, because its on PC too, so to answer your question OP - I dont know.

I mean if you have a good PC now, this is the way to go. Besides the few mentioned, you could try Quantum Break as it was known to break some PCs ;)

Are we complaining about a feature that is awesome for consumers?
Inherently I also want to be sold a system as a consumer and exclusives are a huge part of that. The Xbox One basically cornered itself as the most redundant mainstream console out there thanks to things like this. Hell, Play Anywhere barely offers any benefit with the One having to be tethered to a big screen anyway. With the Vita at least I have portability.

Recently Cuphead actually looks cool if only because even though I would rather play it on my ultrawide monitor, Play Anywhere means I could bring my Xbox One to my friend's and play co-op with him. The downside there being I have the original One and it's fat as shit.

They're hedging their bets that enough people will continue to go with a console and not dabble into PC territory, or get enough people to own both and consider the value proposition of buying a game and having access to it on two separate platforms. Either way they're getting your money whether you buy Forza 7 on PC or XB1.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Are we complaining about a feature that is awesome for consumers?
I'm not complaining and yes, I know I can only speak from my point of view but thanks to Play Anywhere the One just feels so.... redundant. When I buy a PS4 I know there are many high class prestige games that I can only play on the PS4 and nowhere else. The Xbox just doesn't have that.

Again, we can argue about how much this really plays into the Xbox success but I myself think a big part of why the One had such lackluster sales is because it doesn't have this high profile prestige games only available on the Xbox.

Weather this is correct or not I don't know but I do have the feeling it is. Can't even say how many people I talked to saw no reason in buying an Xbox because they can play all games on PC as well.

They're hedging their bets that enough people will continue to go with a console and not dabble into PC territory, or get enough people to own both and consider the value proposition of buying a game and having access to it on two separate platforms. Either way they're getting your money whether you buy Forza 7 on PC or XB1.

This was my take, also. Hate on Xbox not having exclusives but they are getting those sales either way.

Duxxy3

I've barely touched my XB1 since play anywhere went into effect. I bought XBL gold a couple years ago for cheap, but I'm going to let that lapse because there's no reason for me to have it.

I loved playing on my XB1, but it seems so pointless now. All play anywhere did was push me towards PC. Which doesn't help Microsoft because I just buy the games from steam. I have two play anywhere titles - Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4.
The majority of games that I bought this year were on steam. RE7, Dishonored 2, Dishonored DOTO, Evil Within 2, COD WWII, Wolfenstein 2. All of those are games that I would have bought on Xbox. But Microsoft nudged me towards PC with play anywhere, so I just stayed there. They didn't get any royalties from those games sold. They won't be getting my XBL gold money in the future.

Play anywhere is great for me. It's terrible for Xbox.

I've barely touched my XB1 since play anywhere went into effect. I bought XBL gold a couple years ago for cheap, but I'm going to let that lapse because there's no reason for me to have it.

I loved playing on my XB1, but it seems so pointless now. All play anywhere did was push me towards PC. Which doesn't help Microsoft because I just buy the games from steam. I have two play anywhere titles - Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4.
The majority of games that I bought this year were on steam. RE7, Dishonored 2, Dishonored DOTO, Evil Within 2, COD WWII, Wolfenstein 2. All of those are games that I would have bought on Xbox. But Microsoft nudged me towards PC with play anywhere, so I just stayed there. They didn't get any royalties from those games sold. They won't be getting my XBL gold money in the future.

Play anywhere is great for me. It's terrible for Xbox.

Doesn't MS get a cut from steam too? Obviously they have complete control over their product on the MS store.

I suppose it's a YMMV thing. It may drive one off the hardware like yourself, and I've read from others who enjoy both ecosystems. They really do need to improve a TON their own storefront.

Duxxy3

Doesn't MS get a cut from steam too? Obviously they have complete control over their product on the MS store.

I suppose it's a YMMV thing. It may drive one off the hardware like yourself, and I've read from others who enjoy both ecosystems. They really do need to improve a TON their own storefront.

Not a dime.

Valdega

Inherently I also want to be sold a system as a consumer and exclusives are a huge part of that.

That's a pretty bizarre mindset. You should buy the platform that's best for the majority of games you want to play. If the only reason you're buying a console is to play a few exclusives, that seems like a poor investment.

Honestly, I'd like to see exclusives disappear entirely. The world would be a better place if I could play The Last of Us 2 or Mario Odyssey on my PC. Platform exclusivity doesn't help consumers.

SMattera

IAgain, we can argue about how much this really plays into the Xbox success but I myself think a big part of why the One had such lackluster sales is because it doesn't have this high profile prestige games only available on the Xbox.

Weather this is correct or not I don't know but I do have the feeling it is. Can't even say how many people I talked to saw no reason in buying an Xbox because they can play all games on PC as well.

You can keep making this assertion, but there's no evidence for it. Play Anywhere only started a year ago. The Xbox One disappointed because of a bad launch strategy and pricing policy, and thanks to network effects, it has never been able to catch up. Nowadays, most of the popular games are online multiplayer games, so people want to own whatever console their friends own.

Not a dime.

They kind of do. Steam helps keep Windows relevant. Why do you think Microsoft suddenly cares a lot more about gaming, and has added Xbox apps to Windows? If you're a dedicated PC gamer, whether on Steam or otherwise, you're not going to dump your Windows PC for a Chromebook, iPad Pro, or a Mac.

Journey

Banned

They consider PC as another one of their platforms. If you have a high end PC for gaming, they're happy to sell you games there, but there's also a market for gamers who don't want to play on PC, those are the people buying Xbox One X. It's really not that hard to understand. Most of you don't get it because you already have a gaming PC, know how to troubleshoot your own hardware and upgrade that GPU when needed, but don't forget the crowd that uses a tablet or an average laptop to surf the web and consoles to play games.

Okada

OP why do you care if a game is on PC or not? Most gamers exclusively play on Console or on PC

I play on both?

Although to be fair since Play Anywhere has become a thing I've had little interest in playing on my Xbox compared to PC or PS4. It literally killed my interest in getting an Xbox One X.

Top Bottom