• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Xbox One exclusives (not available on PC)?

ornery

What a depressing thread.

vVkoPPU.gif

That's a pretty bizarre mindset. You should buy the platform that's best for the majority of games you want to play. If the only reason you're buying a console is to play a few exclusives, that seems like a poor investment.

Honestly, I'd like to see exclusives disappear entirely. The world would be a better place if I could play The Last of Us 2 or Mario Odyssey on my PC. Platform exclusivity doesn't help consumers.
I buy every big system that plays games no matter what. Buying a console to play a few exclusives is not a poor investment for me, and as I have a local library that I can borrow console games from freely, I actually play a lot more on my consoles that I would otherwise on my powerful desktop.

Exclusives sell systems at the end of the day, and the Xbox One family has not done a good job with that (even games I've played on mine that are on PC but not PS4).

Bickle2

Geezus... How does Microsoft not realize that this Play Anywhere crap is hurting their hardware sales?

Because it’s not.

PC gamers are different animals. While many of them are also console gamers, in order to include the Xbox players eith them they need to share game ID. This keeps Windows versions populated unlike the barren wasteland that was the Windows store version of infinite warfare. PC gaming is gigantic in regions where Xbox doesn’t sell like Asia and Eastern Europe. This generates sales where there would be none.

“Exclusive” in thr adult world means “not available on the competition”. It’s not “what do I got”, just “what you don’t”. There’s a reason why Sony allows third-party exclusives on PC without worrying about it. Please remember that unless the game is sold on the window store, Microsoft sees exactly 0 dollars from every PC game sale, While no matter where the game is sold, Microsoft and Sony both see large dollar amounts from every game sale on their respective consoles. By keeping the game is exclusive to the windows store for six months, Microsoft realizes pretty much every single full price PC sale they were going to get, and they keep 90 to 95% of that money. Then they can release it on steam if they choose to do so and see those extra revenues, but after fees from steam their profit is cut over third, hence the delay.

Frankly the only downside to play anywhere is the fact it does not have separate achievement lists. With games for windows I used to like to buy them twice to get the points twice

FN-2187

But if you build a custom PC they don't get anything from that right? Or does Microsoft have some sort of stake in AMD, Intel, etc? Genuine question

MS probably makes more money off a custom PC assuming the person building it buys a genuine copy of Windows 10 and doesn't pirate it. They also make money off any other genuine MS software you purchase and put on the PC as well as any games you buy from the Windows 10 store.

dcx4610

I really wish Microsoft would get their crap together with first party games. I don’t mind them being cross buy / cross play, we just need much, much more.

Where is their Uncharted, inFamous, Last of Us, God of War, etc? Having cross buy isn’t the issue, having no reason to buy an Xbox over a PS4 is.

Sleepydays

Banned
The dearth of exclusive content is kind of incredible, really. I have it for BC, Fifa with UK friends and...not much else, honestly.

Probably my last MS console unless things change drastically.

Z..

OP why do you care if a game is on PC or not? Most gamers exclusively play on Console or on PC

Because I have a PC. What a gigantic surprise, right? You could've actually read the OP, too. Pretty easy to infer...

This avatar + comment combo is hilarious, by the way.

why? Why would he spend like a couple of thousands on a beefy PC just to buy another console? lol

Read the damn OP... I'm not buying anything, it was lent to me. I will eventually buy one when I can find it for under 100 used. Seems like it may completely replace my 360, all that is left is for Oratorio Tangram to become backwards compatible and there is literally no reason at all to hang on to my 360.

My PC actually cost 750$, for reference (most components were bought second hand so market value would be around 1200$). No idea where this narrative that gaming PCs must necessarily be very expensive comes from, by the way, you can make a great rig for as little as 700$ store price.

Also, since it seems you're not understanding me... It is my default gaming device of choice for multiplatform releases because it handles them better than PS4pro or XbX. Still gonna play the exclusives on their respective machines, though, why not do it if I can and want to?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Neither can a PS4.

The thing is millions of people are ok buying a games console to only play games.

I am talking about the cost of the machines. A machine that does insanely more things that an 1X can't cost the same.

Neither can a PS4.

The thing is millions of people are ok buying a games console to only play games.

Those millions don't want to spend $500 without console exclusives when you can buy another machine that is way cheaper with great exclusives.

PS4 (Slim or Pro) is still the console with the best value on the market. If you care that much about Teraflops for multiplatforms, you should invest on a good PC.

Z..

Microsoft apologists, you are being way too defensive... I just want to know what else is out there for me to enjoy while I have my friend's X1 with me. There's no hidden agenda or planned ridicule, enough of this tribalistic nonsense already. Oo

Cizard

MS probably makes more money off a custom PC assuming the person building it buys a genuine copy of Windows 10 and doesn't pirate it. They also make money off any other genuine MS software you purchase and put on the PC as well as any games you buy from the Windows 10 store.

I believe Microsoft used to say how they make more money off a Mac than Apple does cause of so many people buying Office for it. I'd not be surprised if the same is true for gaming PCs (Xbox live would make quite a difference though).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
But if you build a custom PC they don't get anything from that right? Or does Microsoft have some sort of stake in AMD, Intel, etc? Genuine question

Like others have said they make money on Windows itself but also if you buy something like Gears 4 they are getting your money. They don't care if you buy an Xbox if you're gonna buy their software on PC.

SirNinja

Halo MCC, Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, and Rare Replay.

Recently picked up an XB1 S with the above games for super cheap (Halo MCC + 5 was bundled in, and the other two were <$20 each) and I'm having a great time with it. The main reason I got it was to play through Lost Odyssey + Blue Dragon, but the other games have kept me surprisingly busy. Rare Replay has some gems for sure; Perfect Dark has me hooked all over again. The Halo campaigns still hold up fairly well too.

Once they make Panzer Dragoon Orta back-compatible it's going to be a nice little machine. (Oh and speaking of games that fit the topic description: there's also Crimson Dragon, but it's a not-so-great spiritual predecessor to Panzer.)

gfxtwin

Aside from social reasons (wanting to keep in touch with friends with xboxes) I will never understand why anyone with a decent PC would spend the $$$ on an Xbox One X or something instead of buying a GTX 980 TI for like $400-$700. You get pretty much all the killer exclusives (minus Sunset Overdrive and Master Chief Collection) and they run better. Plus all the stuff that's only on PC, the best versions of multiplatform games and emulation.

shpankey

not an idiot
Aside from social reasons (wanting to keep in touch with friends with xboxes) I will never understand why anyone with a decent PC would spend the $$$ on an Xbox One X or something instead of buying a GTX 980 TI for like $400-$700. You get pretty much all the killer exclusives (minus Sunset Overdrive and Master Chief Collection) and they run better. Plus all the stuff that's only on PC, the best versions of multiplatform games and emulation.

For many, because gaming on your couch with big screen TV and 7.1 sound system in the comfort of your living room is a much better experience than playing on your monitor in the computer room (not all of us are single in a 1 room flat, lol). And despite it being possible to make PC gaming happen in the former, not a lot of people want to go to all the trouble of setting it up to do so for a myriad of reasons and are content w/ the two different gaming experiences (I love to game on my PC in a separate room when the wifey has company over).

It continues to astonish me gaf doesn't get this and proves to me just how niche the typical gaf gamer really is.

horkrux

I already got that 980ti is the thing, and I'm very happy with it. I'm even content with my 2700k atm. And why don't you understand that I would want to play the exclusive exclusives (which are more than just those two) plus 360 BC and OG Xbox titles in their best form?

I can answer that having a decent PC i7 7700k and a GTX 1080.

I really enjoy Fortnite and PUBG on the PC but look forward to playing FPS on the X it seems anymore every other game I play on PC ends to a hacker.

I enjoy playing games on my PS4 Pro but being a large man with large hands I way prefer the Xbox controller especially for FPS games.

For some odd reason I actually prefer the PS4 controller for sports titles and will always have a PS4 for the exclusives.

Because I have a PC. What a gigantic surprise, right? You could've actually read the OP, too. Pretty easy to infer...

This avatar + comment combo is hilarious, by the way.

Read the damn OP... I'm not buying anything, it was lent to me. I will eventually buy one when I can find it for under 100 used. Seems like it may completely replace my 360, all that is left is for Oratorio Tangram to become backwards compatible and there is literally no reason at all to hang on to my 360.

My PC actually cost 750$, for reference (most components were bought second hand so market value would be around 1200$). No idea where this narrative that gaming PCs must necessarily be very expensive comes from, by the way, you can make a great rig for as little as 700$ store price.

Also, since it seems you're not understanding me... It is my default gaming device of choice for multiplatform releases because it handles them better than PS4pro or XbX. Still gonna play the exclusives on their respective machines, though, why not do it if I can and want to?

Oratorio Tangram is already backwards compatible.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...hood-comes-to-xbox-one-backward-compatibility

gfxtwin

For many, because gaming on your couch with big screen TV and 7.1 sound system in the comfort of your living room is a much better experience than playing on your monitor in the computer room (not all of us are single in a 1 room flat, lol). And despite it being possible to make PC gaming happen in the former, not a lot of people want to go to all the trouble of setting it up to do so for a myriad of reasons and are content w/ the two different gaming experiences (I love to game on my PC in a separate room when the wifey has company over).

It continues to astonish me gaf doesn't get this and proves to me just how niche the typical gaf gamer really is.

I have my PC set up as an entertainment center. The case is even shaped like a console and slightly larger in size. All you gotta do is hook it up via HDMI and download controller companion and you're all set. Seems easy enough for me. *shrug*

I already got that 980ti is the thing, and I'm very happy with it. I'm even content with my 2700k atm. And why don't you understand that I would want to play the exclusive exclusives (which are more than just those two) plus 360 BC and OG Xbox titles in their best form?

I dunno, I guess I haven't seen any exclusive exclusives aside from Sunset Overdrive and Master Chief collection that looked super interesting. Certainly nothing worth buying a new console for. Maybe I'm wrong.

I can answer that having a decent PC i7 7700k and a GTX 1080.

I really enjoy Fortnite and PUBG on the PC but look forward to playing FPS on the X it seems anymore every other game I play on PC ends to a hacker.

I enjoy playing games on my PS4 Pro but being a large man with large hands I way prefer the Xbox controller especially for FPS games.

For some odd reason I actually prefer the PS4 controller for sports titles and will always have a PS4 for the exclusives.

I don't know of many games that don't support xbox or PS4 controllers. I've heard that hacking is more of an issue on PC, but I haven't encountered it myself, seems to be pretty rare. Plus as games get more popular and gain more patches and sequels that stuff tends to get cracked down on better.

Geezus... How does Microsoft not realize that this Play Anywhere crap is hurting their hardware sales?

It's not, at least not in any substantial way.

I don't know about that. Just look at the 360. I mean we can argue about what the reason was it sold so well but I for one think it having many (timed) exclusives that didn't come out on PC as well was a big part of it.

This is the craziest theory ever. Lets look at the Xbox 360 launch.

1 year before the PS3, $200 difference between the cheapest models and $100 between the comparable 20GB models. A comparable PC GPU would have cost between $300-$500. It would be about a year before there was better, cheaper GPUs on the market.

So the $299 and $399 Xbox 360s were the top of the line gaming machines for a year.

When it comes to the PS3 Sony thought Blu-Ray was an equalizer, it wasn't. Now look at the XB1 and the PS4 launch. Is the PS4 ahead, because of exclusives or the fact that it was more powerful, and $100 cheaper? Microsoft thought Kinect was an equalizer, it wasn't

I'm not complaining and yes, I know I can only speak from my point of view but thanks to Play Anywhere the One just feels so.... redundant. When I buy a PS4 I know there are many high class prestige games that I can only play on the PS4 and nowhere else. The Xbox just doesn't have that.

Again, we can argue about how much this really plays into the Xbox success but I myself think a big part of why the One had such lackluster sales is because it doesn't have this high profile prestige games only available on the Xbox.

Weather this is correct or not I don't know but I do have the feeling it is. Can't even say how many people I talked to saw no reason in buying an Xbox because they can play all games on PC as well.

At first you realized it was maybe just your preference and then extrapolated your feeling to consumers in general.

GAF puts more value in exclusives than the general consumer by a lot.

Microsoft needs to make more games for sure and they would help sell hardware, but keeping them off of PC and specifically out of their PC store front won't change their fortunes one bit.

WaterAstro

There are not going to be anymore exclusives. Xbox is just a form factor.

This is ultimately good for them, but they will have trouble answering threads like this since they don't have anymore true exclusives.

I can’t help but wonder if “Play Anywhere” will hurt X sales

I can play any new Xbox exclusive on my PC. Kind of dampens my need for an X outside of just wanting the new shiny toy

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Maybe we should consider consoles consoles and PCs PCs. The console to PC comparison does no favors to ANY console IMO, even PS4/PS4 Pro and its awesome exclusives.

Z..

So have you played or are you going to buy the games on pc that you can get on both Xbox and pc ?

Have most of the ones I'm interested in already (FH3, Killer Instinct, Ori, Cuphead, Quantum Break, D4. Ryse too, despite being average and also Gears which bored me to tears like #3 before it).

Fantastic! ^^ Bizarre that I didn't notice since Radiant Silvergun was added to BC at the same time and when I last checked RS was already BC while OT was not.

Maybe we should consider consoles consoles and PCs PCs. The console to PC comparison does no favors to ANY console IMO, even PS4/PS4 Pro and its awesome exclusives.

I really don't understand where the need to compare them even comes from.

shpankey

not an idiot
Play Anywhere’s whole point is you can play on the pc and xbo and back and forth from one to the other with all progress from each. It’s a selling point for the software itself, not for hardware, though it does provide some value there also. It’s not a negative in any way. You should try it, it’s pretty amazing honestly.

Ps the real money is in software, hardware is usually sold at a loss.

Z..

threads like this are stupid. console warrior bullshit
Please... there was no such intention whatsoever and you know it. You're actually one of the people who started the console war crap, hilarious that you're now spouting this kind of nonsense.

watdaeff4

There are not going to be anymore exclusives. Xbox is just a form factor.

This is ultimately good for them, but they will have trouble answering threads like this since they don't have anymore true exclusives.

Depends on if you want to game on PC or not.
If you do, then you're right.

If you don't, them yeah it has games you won't be able to play on other platforms.

Valdega

Because it’s not.

PC gamers are different animals. While many of them are also console gamers, in order to include the Xbox players eith them they need to share game ID. This keeps Windows versions populated unlike the barren wasteland that was the Windows store version of infinite warfare. PC gaming is gigantic in regions where Xbox doesn’t sell like Asia and Eastern Europe. This generates sales where there would be none.

“Exclusive” in thr adult world means “not available on the competition”. It’s not “what do I got”, just “what you don’t”. There’s a reason why Sony allows third-party exclusives on PC without worrying about it. Please remember that unless the game is sold on the window store, Microsoft sees exactly 0 dollars from every PC game sale, While no matter where the game is sold, Microsoft and Sony both see large dollar amounts from every game sale on their respective consoles. By keeping the game is exclusive to the windows store for six months, Microsoft realizes pretty much every single full price PC sale they were going to get, and they keep 90 to 95% of that money. Then they can release it on steam if they choose to do so and see those extra revenues, but after fees from steam their profit is cut over third, hence the delay.

Frankly the only downside to play anywhere is the fact it does not have separate achievement lists. With games for windows I used to like to buy them twice to get the points twice

If MS is publishing a game, they'll still get revenue from third-party sellers like Steam, Origin and Uplay. The revenue they generate from those sales will be much higher than the revenue they get from the Windows Store because nobody buys stuff from the Windows Store. Getting 30% more profit from each sale doesn't matter if you only get 5000 sales vs 50,000 sales on Steam.

No, Windows Store exclusivity has nothing to do with profit per game. Microsoft simply wants everyone to use Windows 10 and the Windows Store. Games are just a means to that end. MS doesn't really care if their games sell poorly. They only care about getting more people to use their platforms and services.

Once they make Panzer Dragoon Orta back-compatible it's going to be a nice little machine. (Oh and speaking of games that fit the topic description: there's also Crimson Dragon, but it's a not-so-great spiritual predecessor to Panzer.)

Indeed !
I might even get a Xbox One X just for this game playing even nicer !

PS: I need help guys, could someone create a thread for me please ?

I need to explain about the campaign I am currently running for a modern open world Panzer Dragoon RPG. Closer to Saga than a rail shooter obviously.
I believe the series is so rich it has all it needs to be successful and thats is what I need to explain in a proper thread, can someone help making one ?

Top Bottom