• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BETA TEST Final Fantasy XI 360 Signups Now Online!!!

123rl

It's poor grammar but what it means is:

Does this mean that EU players can't play with US or Japanese servers? Are the servers going to be restricted to regions? I really wanted this but there's just so much that's below my expectations (and I haven't even played it yet!).

Is it true that there's no voice comms? Does it really kick you off XBox Live while it's connected to PlayOnline?

123rl

Oh and look at this list of problems...I know it's free but I might not even bother with this now:

As of January 5th, 2006, the following issues and special restrictions exist on the Xbox 360 version of FINAL FANTASY XI. None of the issues or restrictions should inhibit gameplay, but updates will be made during the beta test period to address these issues as best we can. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Special Restrictions (PlayOnline Viewer)Certain characters and fonts specific to the European region cannot be entered in the PlayOnline Viewer beta version.

Special Restrictions (FINAL FANTASY XI)Compatibility with the wireless LAN adapter (Xbox 360 peripheral) has not yet been verified for PlayOnline or FINAL FANTASY XI.

USB peripherals, excluding the USB mouse and keyboard, are not supported by the PlayOnline/FINAL FANTASY XI beta version.

Certain characters and fonts specific to the European region cannot be entered in FINAL FANTASY XI beta version.

When using a PAL-50 television, the install screen will be slightly shifted to the top.

About the USB Keyboard
The numeric keypad cannot be used to enter numbers.

The "Num Lock" and "Caps Lock" lights will not turn on.

Other Issues
The game BGM may not play when riding a chocobo.

Temporary logout from FINAL FANTASY XI and the "Vana'diel Tribune" command in the Mog House menu will not be available.

Screenshot images will be saved at a 4:3 ratio.

In the help desk sub-menu, the "I can't move my character or log out of the game." selection will be unavailable. If you encounter these problems during the beta test period, please select another item in the sub-menu to make the GM call.

The character creation screen used during the beta test is temporary, and will be subject to change in the future.

The opening movie cannot be viewed in the beta version.

The X mark that usually appears next to fish that have been registered on the fish rankings will not appear in the beta version.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You need a copy of the disk to play?

Why don't they have this on the stupid marketplace.

123rl

Y2Kevbug11 said:

Why don't they have this on the stupid marketplace.

Because it's probably going to be about 5Gb

Is the beta test on its own seperate server or can you log on with an existing account?

Looks like it's on its own separate server, and you need to create a new character/account to register and play. No idea what happens when the beta ends (you "may" be able to transfer your character over?)

TheDuce22

Banned
Looks like it's on its own separate server, and you need to create a new character/account to register and play. No idea what happens when the beta ends (you "may" be able to transfer your character over?)

Ya I found it on their Q and A site. Looks like no in game voice chat either.

Will FINAL FANTASY XI for Xbox 360 support voice chat?

Voice chat support will be available as an Xbox Live service. For more information on Xbox Live services, please go to the Official Xbox 360 Homepage.

Scott

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Yup. Even with the retail copy, and even after fully installing the game, you'll need to have the disc in the system to play -- Square Enix says it's part of the 360's authentication scheme, and required by Microsoft.

EDIT: Nevermind, TheDuce22 already found the answers he needed.

PC Gaijin

My current PC install is 6.8 gigs, that'd be a hell of a download. Don't see why SE would restrict regions on the 360 since they don't on the PC/PS2 (once the beta is over new 360 players will probably be distributed over the existing servers, and I doubt your beta character will carry over since it didn't with the previous betas). However, I wish they WOULD restrict regions and create 360-only servers. In hindsight I think the mixed servers was a fuckup, and the economy has been spiralling out of control for awhile now. If I could restart on a fresh server with a new economy I'd be tempted to reroll. Wonder if RMT will occur on the beta servers? I wouldn't be surprised :lol

As for voice chat I saw a forum post somewhere that mentioned it worked. It's the regular Xbox Live friends list chat though, nothing specific to FFXI.

Wish some real next-gen MMOs would be unveiled for 360...

Mandoric

Banned
123rl said:
It's poor grammar but what it means is:

Does this mean that EU players can't play with US or Japanese servers? Are the servers going to be restricted to regions? I really wanted this but there's just so much that's below my expectations (and I haven't even played it yet!).

Is it true that there's no voice comms? Does it really kick you off XBox Live while it's connected to PlayOnline?

In the PC ver, at least, all players play on the same server, but each region will only accept its own code for install---that said, once you can install, you can log in on it with an account from another region.

TheDuce22

Banned
The beta FAQ states that there will be voice chat.

I think it means through the xbox live popup menu. I havent tried it yet but I guess its possible to create a voice chat room while playing an online game.

The registration codes that will be issued are for the European (North American) beta test only. They cannot be used for North American (European) service.

What the fuck does that mean?

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT MEAN?

*brain explodes*

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, these codes will be used to login once you have the ffxi disc?

Scott

op_ivy said:
so, these codes will be used to login once you have the ffxi disc?
Not quite.

There are a few different things tied to PlayOnline:

• PlayOnline ID
This will be a short string of letters & numbers that you'll receive upon first logging into PlayOnline, and will be what you use to log into the service with. You'll pick a password to accompany it, and both the ID & Pass will be saved to your harddrive, so you won't have to repeatedly input them. However, you will have to input them everytime you wish to use the "Friends List Plus" feature, which is a little Java Friends List program you can view on your PC (via www.playonline.com/ff11us/) to check the online status of your friends, send/receive messages, etc.

• Registration Codes
These are the codes you're receiving here, for the beta. You'll input these once, upon first using the software. So, when first booting up Final Fantasy XI, you'll have to register the software using the code emailed to you. This code is universal, as well, so you'll be authenticated to play on a friends' copy of the game, or even on a different platform entirely, using your same account.

• Content IDs
Lastly, these are what you "purchase" to play the games, and each character you play will need it's own Content ID. For the beta version, the Content IDs will be supplied to you for free. In the retail version, however, the first Final Fantasy XI Content ID you purchase will be considered your "Main ID" and will cost 12.95$ a month, with every ID there-after costing an additional 1.00$ each. Each Content ID can be cancelled/suspended at any time, seperately from the others, and will then last for (at least) 3 months before deletion.

It's a lot simpler in practice than it sounds, as once you input the Registration Codes and PlayOnline ID/Password, you won't need to do either again to log into the service. Content IDs are really the only things you'll need to manage, and that's really only when you wish to purchase, suspend, or delete Content IDs/Characters.

Also, it's worth noting that Tetra Master Online (an online version of Final Fantasy IX's card game) will be available in the retail release. It'll have it's own Registration Code, it's own Content IDs, and it's own fees (1.00$ per account).

Hope that helps. :)

TRU

I got my email... I just wantt he dang magazine now so i can get the beta...

So when the magazine come out? the 17th? will it be out sooner? or what?

Anybody know?

Belfast

I'm up for it. Eager to see how this plays out on the 360. Hopefully, though, most of these restrictions/missing features are due to it being a beta and everything will be different comes actual release (combined servers, in-game voice chat - though I can see the problem here, the other two versions of the game don't contain it, IIRC, etc.).

.Abras.

I received the e-mail at the same time I clicked but I can't acess the registration code distribution page on the e-mail.

Another thing, When the magazine is going out?

KarishBHR

I have never seriously gotten into a MMORPG, so I'm pumped.

Few q's:

Will wireless mice and keyboards be supported?
If not, how does it play with a controller, on screen keyboard... will this be sufficient?
Is there voice chat? (THIS WOULD BE UNREAL!)

Belfast

Gamespot:

When the game goes live in May, Xbox 360 players will be able to rub elbows and swap healing potions with their PlayStation 2 and PC counterparts. But for the duration of the beta test, Xbox 360 users will be kept on their own servers.

So, I guess you'll have to create a new character for the duration of BETA, but in May, you might be able to use your existing one, since everybody will be playing on the same servers then.

Belfast

KarishBHR said:

Few q's:

If not, how does it play with a controller, on screen keyboard... will this be sufficient?

If the wireless units connect through USB, I don't see why not. Controller/keyboard depends on the user. I swear by the keyboard, being a PC player originally, but controller is just fine. It only sucks for constantly switching between the two to type. Only XBL voice chat at the moment, it is unknown whether full in-game voice chat will work.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
KarishBHR said:

Few q's:

1.) Probably not, but i'm not 100% sure
2.) On screen keyboard sucks ass
3.) Only though the xbox live system (the center X button). Going to be a pain in the ass unless your playing with the same friends.

Belfast

.Abras. said:
Another thing, Does it work on the retard pack? Or people with retard pack have to buy a HD to play?

I'm going to guess you need the HDD. Even the PS2 version needed it. The game needs to store a lot of information and it's generally hard to run an MMO completely off the disc, if not impossible. So, yeah, retard packs are probably out of the question.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Got the codes and I'm waiting on the disc. I hope the HD space required isn't very high. That 20GB HDD is starting to look really tiny right about now.

Scott

To answer all the questions:

• The January 17th date for the February issue of Official Xbox Magazine is likely for the newstands. If you're a subscriber, you'll likely receive it a bit earlier.

• Wireless keyboard/mice would likely be a "no." If the 360 operates the same way as the PS2, then the game would need to supply the drivers for the USB devices to work correctly; as far as I know, wireless peripherals like that do not work with the PS2 rendition of the game, so it's unlikely that they will here.

• The in-game keyboard will not be sufficient. You have to deal with responding to your party members on almost a minute-by-minute basis, and even getting into parties can involve a lot of discourse (over where you'll be leveling, your "To Next Level" total, and so on). Don't count on the on-screen interface at all, as you'd be much better off springing for a cheap USB keyboard.

• Voice chat will not be in game. This was stated by Square Enix soon after the 360 version was revealed, and it still holds true today. Voice chat will be available through the Xbox Live dashboard, but how well that functions alongside the game isn't known yet.

• As for any "graphical updates," this is what you can expect: an increased draw distance (2x increase over the PC version), support for high definition resolutions, and some flashier ability/spell effects. That is likely to be it. Don't count on seeing many new textures, increased-detail in models/environments, more character faces to choose from, or anything of the sort... Unfortunately for the 360 & PC users, all versions of the game utilize the PS2 original's assets, and will continue to do so until that version is phased out (which likely won't happen for a few more years, if ever).

• As for being able to access the Xbox Live dashboard? I'm sure you'll be able to do minor things via a quick-menu (voice chat, checking your friends list, etc), but most other things will likely require you to log out of the game (with a "Temp Logout" option), as even accessing some PlayOnline Viewer functions (like Email) requires you to do so.

Think that about covers everything...

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
You can pick up a cheap USB keyboard at Tesco or similar for £5 or so, so it's hardly a problem. Cheapest X360 peripheral I've bought so far...

Top Bottom