• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: Doom on the Switch Graphics Not One-to-one, Custom Built (USGamer)

Si2k78

Same here!

And I just want to say that I love this photo (it's from this post):

His body language and facial expression say to me "I can't believe what I'm playing!"

Anyone know who he is/what site he works for? Press embargo can't end soon enough.

Someone needs to buy this guy a beer. Just tell me what the fps is..

What's the story of doom?

Is the game just mindless, random killing of demons?

I like shooters, and I like single player shooters, so I want to see if this is for me.

What makes the game fun.

I'm also Christian... I know that's random, but I don't know if this will click... Bayonetta did... Game play was too much fun.

Hoping for a demo.

Any thoughts?

The original Doom was Wolfenstein protagonist's grandson as a Marine on Mars. Scientists accidentally unlock the gates of hell on Mars. He fights his way through the demons of hell and escapes Mars. When he returns to Earth, he finds Earth overrun by demons as well. He fights his way through Earth's hell and kills the big guy... (Doom 1 and Doom 2, ie original Doom games in the 90s) Then...
IF Doom Guy is still the same character and not one of the spin-off characters... He rips and tears through hell for an indeterminate amount of time until demons band together and trap him. Years(who knows how many) later scientists on Mars are trying to tap Demonic magics for free energy and find the sarcophagus he was trapped in on one of their excursions into Hell. He's freed just as the experiments cause hell to break loose again. That's DOOM 2016.

Honestly, Bayonetta was worse with regard to religious issues than DOOM. Doom has you killing demons, Bayo has you killing angels, just saying.

"Hell" in DOOM is more like an alien dimension with no relation to any religion. You're pretty much fighting aliens. Evil aliens, mind you. The only life forms you see there are the monsters you've been fighting all along.

Not quite, there are demons that posses and transform the workers and scientists as well. Hell is Hell, always has been in Doom. It's just that these are the types of demons that inhabit Hell in the Doom series. It also has occult stuff going on.

Cerium

Same here!

And I just want to say that I love this photo (it's from this post):

His body language and facial expression say to me "I can't believe what I'm playing!"

Anyone know who he is/what site he works for? Press embargo can't end soon enough.

He's with Gamespot.

There should be plenty of impressions from various outlets when the embargo lifts.

He's with Gamespot.

There should be plenty of impressions from various outlets when the embargo lifts.

Cool, thanks. Yeah I know there will be plenty of impressions/previews from outlets, but
I think he's cute so I want to check him out if he does videos :p

M3d10n

Yeah people forget the modern architecture in Switch hardware compared to other systems which helps eek out even more from the Switch
Simply using ASTC instead of BCn texture formats can easily cut texture bandwidth and memory usage by half, if not more, with little (or even positive) impact on image quality. Console GPUs don't support it and on PC only relatively newer NVidia and Intel GPUs do so PC games can't use it without shipping multiple texture packs.

However, I remember Rage compressed DXT textures in real time in order to build the virtual texture cache in VRAM. I'm not sure if run-time ASTC compression is possible (I did find a github project about that based on a thesis, but I'm not sure if it's usable on games) so it's unknown if IdTech6 could take advantage of it. For games without ID6's exothic megatextures, it's a no brainer. You can take 20GB worth of BCn textures and reduce them to ~10GBs at the same resolution, and a bunch of them might actually look better.

Neiteio

Not quite, there are demons that posses and transform the workers and scientists as well. Hell is Hell, always has been in Doom. It's just that these are the types of demons that inhabit Hell in the Doom series. It also has occult stuff going on.
It's like Lovecraft, where you have occult stuff going on with cults worshipping evil forces that are capable of possession. But as with Lovecraft, these forces are still essentially aliens. I see the demons of DOOM the same way. Any religious connotations seem to be ascribed by the humans trying to make sense of them, rather than the demons themselves.

Also, in this DOOM, you learn that the demons have invaded other worlds before. The human world is not the first. Again, they're depicted more like aliens.

Top Bottom