• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: Doom on the Switch Graphics Not One-to-one, Custom Built (USGamer)

Platy

...of course ?
Isn't like the definition of a port ?

I don't see how anyone expected to be one-to-one

Graphics wise that is incredibly unsurprising, but I don't quite get what custom built means in this case. It's definitely the same id tech 6 engine which should be fairly easy to port to Switch as it's likely that NVN is basically Vulkan, and obviously changes will have to be made to the game (graphical settings, texture quality, etc.), but does that require the use of the term "custom built"? Since that's the case for the other two consoles too?

Heard the people who went down to Bethesda to play it and other games are embargo'd until the 20th. Here's hoping they nail the framerate.

Kureransu

...of course ?

The Engine itself could've been highly scalable. I don't think Snake Pass or 2k 17 were custom built, but just scaled to function properly with the hardware available.

...of course ?

it means the assets have been rebuilt for the switch, which isnt generally the case in ports. This is basically demastering.

Its not like its non existent, but its not exactly common either. Games with console and vita versions do it, such as dragon quest heroes.

WestEgg

"DOOM on Switch is custom-built for the hardware and while graphics won't be 1:1 with other platforms, the game will deliver the amazing DOOM look and feel that fans are excited to get on Switch," a Bethesda spokesperson told USGamer in an official response when we reached out to try and find out some additional details about the Switch version's fps and other graphical details."

This to me implies the game will have the same frame rate as the other systems (60), just lower graphics.

They probably had to go in and rework some of the geometry, animation, and encounter designs to make the game work, meaning it wasn't a matter of simply turning down shaders and graphical effects.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Graphics wise that is incredibly unsurprising, but I don't quite get what custom built means in this case. It's definitely the same id tech 6 engine which should be fairly easy to port to Switch as it's likely that NVN is basically Vulkan, and obviously changes will have to be made, but does that require the use of the term "custom built"?

I imagine the Switch version may be built similarly to the Xbox version of Doom 3 was - a few areas missing or significantly changed to accommodate the weaker hardware, and some gameplay adjustments to try to compensate for the different flow.

Pooya

Some levels are possibly smaller or cut to smaller chunks with loading. The game takes so much RAM as is. I can see that being the case.

They probably had to go in and rework some of the geometry, animation, and encounter designs to make the game work, meaning it wasn't a matter of simply turning down shaders and graphical effects.

Look at the video in the article, if that is indeed Switch footage (which it should be, I don't know why they'd use PC footage for DOOM but not for Wolfenstein 2) then the geometry and animations look exactly the same, the lighting and textures have been downgraded though.

Likely the resolution too (I'm expecting dynamic res).

I'd be perfectly ok with levels built for the Switch. As long as the gameplay is the same, it would basically be like getting a new Doom. Kind of like Quake 2 on the N64.

Rip and Tear (graphical features away) until its done.

Very curious these ports turn out. Once the performance is smooth (even if 30fps) and it doesn't look like trash I will totally replay doom on switch.

it means the assets have been rebuilt for the switch, which isnt generally the case in ports. This is basically demastering.

Its not like its non existent, but its not exactly common either. Games with console and vita versions do it, such as dragon quest heroes.

Yeah, I'd wager that it's effectively 'below' minimum spec, relative to other systems. Particularly given the RAM limitations, lowering texture resolution and size would make sense.

SuomiDude

I wouldn't mind making the scenery and battles smaller in scale to achieve the 60fps. The game suffers from the beat-enemy-room-to-advance-syndrome, so making them faster (by scaling them down) would make the game better actually.

BigEmil

Damn they didnt answer if this is 30fps or 60fps but since visuals is pretty good I'm guessing 30fps.
I would take less visuals for 60fps if possible

Top Bottom