• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: Doom on the Switch Graphics Not One-to-one, Custom Built (USGamer)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Considering the disparity between the two and to use your own duh. However to think a PS3 can touch it is a joke considering one of them has nvidia GPU in that predates the 8800 GTX and the other uses a maxwell architecture. RSX doesn't even support a high shader model as well. The only good thing about a PS3 vs the Switch or current consoles is that it's cpu is still the best of any mentioned. GPU wise lets not act like mentioning such a factor without mentioning the context has any real impact. Saying those comments diminishes switch considering some of it games out and to come are well above PS3 best.

I'm being realistic myself.

Yes. And with all that, it's still closer to PS3 than PS4, closer to last gen than current gen. I never said it wasn't above PS3.

rjc571

Banned
If they're commenting about the Switch version publically but they aren't saying it's 60 fps, my guess is that it's not 60 fps.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Yes. And with all that, it's still closer to PS3 than PS4, closer to last gen than current gen. I never said it wasn't above PS3.

Not really. It's in the middle of either. Feel free to go through the motions of why you believe that but I take performance or fidelity in certain games over mere conjecture of such statement at this point.

Astral Dog

The lawyer in me wants to point out that Dark Souls is much more about the undead than it is demons (even if there are a few demons), but I like that overall sentiment.

It's so awesome hearing the little story bits from the demon tablets talking about how ferocious and horrifying your character is to them
Uts a shame we never truly see it beside that exposition (and killing demons)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not really. It's in the middle of either. Feel free to go through the motions of why you believe that but I take performance or fidelity in certain games over mere conjecture of such statement at this point.

No, it's actually significantly closer to the PS3 than the PS4. And the games show it. They look like PS360 games with a resolution boost and some other improvements. They absolutely do not look close to what the PS4 can do. Just look at something like Horizon. Nothing on the Switch looks like it belongs to the same generation as that game. And that's ok. It's a handheld.

Astral Dog

No, it's actually significantly closer to the PS3 than the PS4. And the games show it. They look like PS360 games with a resolution boost and some other improvements. They absolutely do not look close to what the PS4 can do. Just look at something like Horizon. Nothing on the Switch looks like it belongs to the same generation as that game. And that's ok. It's a handheld.
I agree the Switch is amazing for what it is, but its no Xbox ONE portable but actually closer to a Wii U with a few (significant) advancements

LCGeek

formerly sane

Let use doom

Doom 3 on PS3 720p with fps dips
On The switch architecture it runs 1080p at 60fps much more fluidly on shield machines.

Doom 2016 would be a joke on PS3 if possible and yet with the switch system it's pretty comparable.

Good day keep your useless spec talk I got reality.

Graphics wise that is incredibly unsurprising, but I don't quite get what custom built means in this case. It's definitely the same id tech 6 engine which should be fairly easy to port to Switch as it's likely that NVN is basically Vulkan, and obviously changes will have to be made to the game (graphical settings, texture quality, etc.), but does that require the use of the term "custom built"? Since that's the case for the other two consoles too?

Custom built sounds like a lot of care is being put into the game... To regular gamers. That's why companies use it. Fortunately for them, the level of anal pickiness of words that GAF can display is exclusive to GAF.
This is DOOM, on the Switch. id is doing its best work to adapt the game to the platform, and that is indeed customization. The graphics won't be the same as in the more powerful consoles but it'll obviously retain the visual impression of the game like all the other Switch ports.

Nothing to see here. After so many current gen ports to Switch it still surprises me that people are surprised, and that people still think the system is a portable 360. Nintendo=weak narratives are strong.

Meh.

You two are arguing two different things there.

In a pure technical capability sense, RoadHazard is right. It's core tech is roughly 33% of the XboxOne's tech capability.

But LCGeek is also right. It is batting way above what the technical specifications imply. More than likely that's because of the fact that the TX1 in the Switch is years newer. Along with the graphics designer being Nvidia, a company that spent millions on the underlying software. Hoping to do exactly what it's doing now. Bridging the output gap between large dedicated set top boxes, and mobile hardware. Just because of heat concerns efficiency is key.

And in that I'd say Nvidia is delivering. Close enough to PS4 visuals in a handheld package.

...duh?

The Switch, while an impressive handheld, is nowhere near the other console in terms of processing power. I don't understand why it's "news" every time we learn that its version of game X will be inferior visually. Of course it will, all games (unless very undemanding) will.
The Switch is an hybrid console based off a mobile device. "Handheld" doesnt apply when the device can both be played at home or on the go without even holding it in the hands. The console can be bought and never used as a handheld.

This should have died long ago even in the Eurogamer rumor threads.

I mean, the same line of reasoning lead some people to believe Skyrim was not the Special Edition, yet here we are with confirmation from Bethesda that it is in fact the SE.
"Switch Skyrim is SE or not" is one of those topics in which both Fanboys and Hateboys look like absolutlely fools. The SE is the most uptimized version and thus has less demanding hardware requirements so the fact that it does run of that version doesn't make the hardware better or worse.

On topic, this will be one interesting game to analyse if it indeed releases in the holydays 2017. im very interested to know if they support other special features of the Switch like Joycon motion aiming or if there's a chance for a coop campaign with 2 systems linked. Or if using single Joycon for multiplayer is possible.

Meh.

You two are arguing two different things there.

In a pure technical capability sense, RoadHazard is right. It's core tech is roughly 33% of the XboxOne's tech capability.

But LCGeek is also right. It is batting way above what the technical specifications imply. More than likely that's because of the fact that the TX1 in the Switch is years newer. Along with the graphics designer being Nvidia, a company that spent millions on the underlying software. Hoping to do exactly what it's doing now. Bridging the output gap between large dedicated set top boxes, and mobile hardware. Just because of heat concerns efficiency is key.

And in that I'd say Nvidia is delivering. Close enough to PS4 visuals in a handheld package.

People do tend to forget that Maxwell is several years newer than the architecture used in the PS4 and XB1, and while the flops don't compare well, flops never tell you the full story.

The best way I've seen it described is that the actual GFLOPS number you see only tells you the maximum theoretical floating point operations per second, when some of the advances in architecture like the ones Maxwell has over Kepler for instance make the chip able to get closer to that theoretical maximum more often and more easily.

I don't know if that's exactly how it works but it makes sense to me.

the fact that they had to cut an entire mode from the game says a lot more to me than the resolution

That was almost certainly about reducing file size, and the fact that apparently nobody used it anyway.

It's why the multiplayer was cut.

It's an optional download because the game cards are not quite high enough capacity for some titles.

Unless another mode was cut that I'm not aware of.

If so my apologies.
SnapMap was cut, thats what im talking about

That was almost certainly about reducing file size, and the fact that apparently nobody used it anyway.
if its either of those reasons, thats a dick move by bethesda.

if its either of those reasons, thats a dick move by bethesda.

I actually haven't used snapmap so I don't know for sure what it is. I assume it's a multiplayer map builder, and if that's the case then I have no clue why that wouldn't be possible on the Switch from a hardware/performance point of view. In fact it would probably be better than on other platforms if you could use optional touch screen controls.

But what I do know about DOOM is that it has absurd file sizes, and most of that is from the multiplayer and snapmap, and if there's one thing Switch games have been all about lately it's that managing file sizes is incredibly important and controversial.

Does snapmap let you save created maps locally? If it's built to do that then that would massively increase save file sizes, and as save files are limited to the internal storage that would be a major problem.

Folks have played it already. Embargo ends next week (the 20th I think..somewhere around there)

Ooooooh yeah, that photo where a guy was holding a Switch with the game playing...
I wonder if they could play it in Docked mode, maybe capture some direct feed footage, although direct feed Switch footage seems incredibly hard to come by. (Dunno why publishers would want to hide it, like NBA 2K18 where we had to wait till release but there was nothing to hide because it's mighty impressive)

Does FOV generally change performance on a console? Should I expect to have an FOV switch?
FOV generally means there is more geometry to perform culling and other processes on (And more geometry period) so it tipically means a performance penalty, and that's why most console shooters have a fixed FOV. But DOOM has a FOV slider on consoles and apparently it doesn't hurt framerate so...

VanWinkle

Now that's not fair. Let's look at it in another equally unfair way. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Not a single kart racing game on PS3 looks even close to the visuals of MK8D, with most of them running at 720p 30fps. MK8D is 1080p 60fps with better visuals.

The point being that Nintendo hasn't tried to make a game that looks like Horizon, nor has a Sony first-party studio tried to make a game that looks like Mario Kart 8.

The best way to tell where it really lies is in the third-party games. That's why I'm really looking forward to DF articles as more of them release.

JordanN

Banned
Considering the disparity between the two and to use your own duh. However to think a PS3 can touch it is a joke considering one of them has nvidia GPU in that predates the 8800 GTX and the other uses a maxwell architecture.

I'm being realistic myself.

That doesn't really mean much IMO.

Look at 3DS. The PICA200 is at least 5 years newer than the Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox. It's definitely a more capable chip, but it's still clocked @266mhz to stop the 3DS from melting itself. When you look at the games on 3DS too, with just the exception of RE:Revelations, it's still graphically closer to the PS2 era consoles than a PS3.

That doesn't really mean much IMO.

Look at 3DS. The PICA200 is at least 5 years newer than the Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox. It's definitely a more capable chip, but it's still clocked @266mhz to stop the 3DS from melting itself. When you look at the games on 3DS too, with just the exception of RE:Revelations, it's still graphically closer to the PS2 era console than a PS3.

Eh, eh. Apples to Oranges. You're comparing shader-based GPUs to fixed-function GPUs. With shaders, modern architecture is far more important as a lot of performance can be lost to GPU inefficiency when handling certain effects.

JordanN

Banned
Eh, eh. Apples to Oranges. You're comparing shader-based GPUs to fixed-function GPUs. With shaders, modern architecture is far more important as a lot of performance can be lost to GPU inefficiency when handling certain effects.

Gamecube was fixed function. Yet it was still capable of pushing more polygons and lighting effects that 3DS could never handle without downgrades. Gamecube objectively had a faster CPU/GPU that modern architecture in the 3DS can't adjust for.

Gamecube was fixed function. Yet it was still capable of pushing more polygons and lighting effects that 3DS could never handle without downgrades. Gamecube objectively had a faster CPU/GPU that modern architecture in the 3DS can't adjust for.

I'm aware. That was my point. Fixed-function GPUs don't gain much by newer modern architectures other than reduced heat and having more functions. Shader-based GPUs are very susceptible to bottlenecks in the hardware scheduler and pipeline stalls.

Astral Dog

The Switch is an hybrid console based off a mobile device. "Handheld" doesnt apply when the device can both be played at home or on the go without even holding it in the hands. The console can be bought and never used as a handheld.

This should have died long ago even in the Eurogamer rumor threads.

"Switch Skyrim is SE or not" is one of those topics in which both Fanboys and Hateboys look like absolutlely fools. The SE is the most uptimized version and thus has less demanding hardware requirements so the fact that it does run of that version doesn't make the hardware better or worse.

On topic, this will be one interesting game to analyse if it indeed releases in the holydays 2017. im very interested to know if they support other special features of the Switch like Joycon motion aiming or if there's a chance for a coop campaign with 2 systems linked. Or if using single Joycon for multiplayer is possible.
Of course it matters that its portable, games are designed around two specifications for handheld and home play but you can't separate one from the other thats why Nintendo went to Nvidia

JordanN

Banned
I'm aware. That was my point. Fixed-function GPUs don't gain much by newer modern architectures other than reduced heat and having more functions. Shader-based GPUs are very susceptible to bottlenecks in the hardware scheduler and pipeline stalls.

What bottlenecks does the PS3 have that Switch games can't be ported to it?

Atheerios

And? That doesn't remove the fact that it IS a handheld.

It has a handheld form factor.

It has a screen, a battery, and everything a handheld has. It's listed on Wikipedia's handheld consoles page.

It's a handheld. It's also a home console.

Top Bottom