• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: Doom on the Switch Graphics Not One-to-one, Custom Built (USGamer)

MaDKaT

Im actually really excited for this. I don't have a switch but Doom and Wolfenstien on a portable is very enticing. Hope they turn out well.

Cerium

Why would they not confirm 60fps at this point? Seems like that is the thing people want to know.

Press have already played the game and the embargo lifts in a week.

No one trusts publishers anymore, it's better to have hands on impressions to deliver that kind of news.

thumb

Banned
"DOOM on Switch is custom-built for the hardware and while graphics won't be 1:1 with other platforms, the game will deliver the amazing DOOM look and feel that fans are excited to get on Switch," a Bethesda spokesperson told USGamer in an official response when we reached out to try and find out some additional details about the Switch version's fps and other graphical details."

This to me implies the game will have the same frame rate as the other systems (60), just lower graphics.

Not to me. They had an opportunity to say "60FPS" and didn't take it. I'm not saying it won't be 60, but its not encouraging that they were asked about FPS and didn't give a number.

jorgejjvr

What's the story of doom?

Is the game just mindless, random killing of demons?

I like shooters, and I like single player shooters, so I want to see if this is for me.

What makes the game fun.

I'm also Christian... I know that's random, but I don't know if this will click... Bayonetta did... Game play was too much fun.

Hoping for a demo.

Any thoughts?

AmyS

60fps is obviously an absolute must for DOOM. If it's running at 30fps, reduce the graphics until you can hit 60fps. Simple as that.

I like shooters, and I like single player shooters, so I want to see if this is for me.

What makes the game fun.

I'm also Christian... I know that's random, but I don't know if this will click... Bayonetta did... Game play was too much fun.

Hoping for a demo.

Any thoughts?

If you were ok with playing as a hyper sexualized angel slayer, I'm sure you'll be able to handle DOOM.

JNT

What makes the game fun.

Hoping for a demo.

Any thoughts?

Story: Scientists have hubris. Opens up portal to hell.

If you're Christian you're gonna like killing demons.

Plum

What makes the game fun.

Hoping for a demo.

Any thoughts?

The story is: "Humans open up Hell portal on Mars. Demons invade Mars. Now go kill demons in both Hell and Mars"

What makes the game fun? It's the best single player shooter in recent years; it's fast-paced, hype-as-fuck, challenging, it's amazing. You'd be doing a disservice to miss this if you're a fan of first person shooters.

Being Christian won't be an issue, the game may use 'Hell' but it's nowhere near religious in its overtones. Hell is more like another dimension and an excuse for cool enemy designs than what it's described as in the Bible. If you were fine with Bayonetta you'd definitely be fine with this.

TheMoon

What makes the game fun.

Hoping for a demo.

Any thoughts?

Think what if Mario were an FPS with lots of monster gore. I'm not joking btw. DOOM-FPS gameplay is like Mario platforming. You do it for its own sake.

Same thing for the story. There are demons, you must murder them or bad stuff happens. Like how you must defeat Bowser because he did some dumb thing. Into one ear, out the other.

Joey Ravn

Banned

What makes the game fun.

Hoping for a demo.

Any thoughts?

You are killing demons, not siding with them, so I don't know why being Christian would be an issue here. It's not like religion plays an important role in the game, either. They are demons from a hellish dimension, but they may as well have been aliens from a hellish planet and the effect would have been the same.

DOOM 2016 is a direct heir to DOOM 1993. It's fast-paced, no-hold-barred, balls-to-the-wall action. If you're expecting something like CoD, Battlefield or Halo, then it won't be the game for you. It's more Quake III Arena than modern military shooter.

When this is running at 30 FPS will there be, like, legit murders?

I can't wait to play DOOM on the subway, Mick Gordon cranking in my ears, even if it's not a "perfect" experience.

What makes the game fun.

Hoping for a demo.

Any thoughts?

The demons are not to be feared.

The doom slayer is to be feared.

You are the doom slayer, and the demons fear you.

OmegaFax

I wonder what the load times for the Switch version are going to be. From my understanding, the PS4 version was notoriously bad. Not sure if it got much better post-launch.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
...of course ?
Isn't like the definition of a port ?

I don't see how anyone expected to be one-to-one
By some people's definition it's a remake or Remaster.
Or demake or demaster in this case.

Zedark

I think they would have said by now if it was going to be 60fps.
I mean, the same line of reasoning lead some people to believe Skyrim was not the Special Edition, yet here we are with confirmation from Bethesda that it is in fact the SE.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I have a GTX 860M and wasn't able to get the demo to run at anything close to 60fps. Maybe the full game is better optimized, or maybe I was just using the wrong settings (I recall setting them pretty damn low, though).

The video has gutted settings via console and runs 540p. The person was also using GT 640 which is a kepler nvidia not maxwell and got that performance.

I have a GTX 860M and wasn't able to get the demo to run at anything close to 60fps. Maybe the full game is better optimized, or maybe I was just using the wrong settings (I recall setting them pretty damn low, though).

I remember when I bought it on my laptop it warned me that I was below the minimum requirements, so when I loaded it up the first time it ran so sluggishly, like .5 fps. I set everything to super low, and it was still something like 5-10fps.

I had to google some things to figure out how to set it up correctly for my video card and when I figured it out it started running at 120fps at medium-high settings. There was some horrible bug with my laptop, I think I was running some GTX M series card too, can't remember which exactly.

But basically, it should run on very low spec machines if it's set up correctly.

thumb

Banned
The demons are not to be feared.

The doom slayer is to be feared.

You are the doom slayer, and the demons fear you.

The best summation of this I read was:

Dark Souls: You are stuck in a room with demons.

DOOM: Demons are stuck in a room with you.

The best summation of this I read was:

Dark Souls: You are stuck in a room with demons.

DOOM: Demons are stuck in a room with you.

The lawyer in me wants to point out that Dark Souls is much more about the undead than it is demons (even if there are a few demons), but I like that overall sentiment.

It's so awesome hearing the little story bits from the demon tablets talking about how ferocious and horrifying your character is to them

RoadHazard

Gold Member
...duh?

The Switch, while an impressive handheld, is nowhere near the other console in terms of processing power. I don't understand why it's "news" every time we learn that its version of game X will be inferior visually. Of course it will, all games (unless very undemanding) will.

LCGeek

formerly sane
...duh?

The Switch, while an impressive handheld, is nowhere near the other console in terms of processing power. I don't understand why it's "news" every time we learn that its version of game X will be inferior visually. Of course it will, all games (unless very undemanding) will.

If you check other switch topics we still have people that treat it like it was last gen console despite the specs and features placing it decently above them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I mean, the same line of reasoning lead some people to believe Skyrim was not the Special Edition, yet here we are with confirmation from Bethesda that it is in fact the SE.

I think what most sane people were saying was that it wouldn't have all the graphical bells and whistles as say the PS4 version. Which it obviously won't. Doesn't mean it can't still be based on the SE. That's the default version of the game now, so why wouldn't it be?

If you check other switch topics we still have people that treat it like it was last gen console despite the specs and features placing it decently above them.

It certainly has some advantages over last gen consoles, but it's closer to PS3 than PS4 in terms of what it can do visually, so...

I own a Switch and am impressed with what it can do (it's a handheld after all), but I'm just being realistic here.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I think what most sane people were saying was that it wouldn't have all the graphical bells and whistles as say the PS4 version. Which it obviously won't. Doesn't mean it can't still be based on the SE. That's the default version of the game now, so why wouldn't it be?

It certainly has some advantages over last gen consoles, but it's closer to PS3 than PS4 in terms of what it can do visually, so...

I own a Switch and am impressed with what it can do (it's a handheld after all), but I'm just being realistic here.

Considering the disparity between the two and to use your own duh. However to think a PS3 can touch it is a joke considering one of them has nvidia GPU in that predates the 8800 GTX and the other uses a maxwell architecture. RSX doesn't even support a high shader model as well. The only good thing about a PS3 vs the Switch or current consoles is that it's cpu is still the best of any mentioned. GPU wise lets not act like mentioning such a factor without mentioning the context has any real impact. Saying those comments diminishes switch considering some of it games out and to come are well above PS3 best.

I'm being realistic myself.

Top Bottom