• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Quote from Vince Gilligan after the finale:
"There will be a season four. The only question is when will it go on air."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/better-call-saul-season-3-finale-explained-1015384
Full quote adds context. I forgot about the Sony management shuffle which explains a fair bit:
We know you're not ending the series here. We know the show does well for AMC. What is the hold-up on the official renewal for a fourth season?

Gilligan: Honestly, it's obviously not a secret that Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht left Sony TV and there's just a little bit of reorganizing going at Sony, but the ship, there's still folks at the tiller and and it's just a matter of … Who the f--- knows? (Laughs.) It's gonna be fine. The timing was a bit unfortunate in that there's a little bit of stuff up in the air over at Sony, but it'll all get worked out. A couple of good guys left Sony, but there's a lot of good people still at Sony and it'll all get worked out. We're going forward with the certainty that there is gonna be more and it's just a matter of logistics as to when, exactly, it gets going. We're not worried. I say that having absolutely been worried in the past. I'm worried at all right now. We're gonna forward. There will be a season four. The only question is when will it go on air.

Gould: I think we feel very supported by Sony and by AMC.

Gilligan: And that's the important part.

Gould: We now have a 10-year relationship with these two companies, which is something so special and rare in show business. There's been definitely some folks coming and going and anyone who reads the trades can figure that out, but I think we feel really good about where we are. It's just a matter of time.

Gilligan: In years past, it was often a matter of "if." This year it's not a matter of "if," it's just a matter of when. Our blood pressure is pretty low here, relatively speaking. Certainly compared to previous seasons of Breaking Bad.

Was anyone else startled and a little confused when Kim passingly demonstrated an understanding of the Irene situation? It was never even hinted at that Jimmy had told her...and if he did, you would have thought that would have been an extremely dramatic moment in their relationship if Kim had learned that Jimmy had done something so utterly heinous.
No, but that's because the Irene situation didn't upset me as much as it did other people. I don't have a particular soft spot for elderly people (not saying I'm completely cold -- just that it doesn't hit me extra hard), and I'd never developed a connection with the Irene character. So to me, and I suspect for Kim as well, it wasn't beyond the pale.

even kim's kinda obvious and pedestrian taste in movies can't make me love her less
Sorry but I really have to call this out.

Kim (along with Jimmy) has fucking awesome taste in movies! The Thing and Ice Station Zebra just off the top of my head. Not to mention several film references and quotes Kim and Jimmy throw around.

Kim decided to have herself a relaxathon, so of course she's gonna pick comfort flicks like TKAM and Monty Python.

/end rant

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A lot of people seem to make this same mistaken assumption. The pills Nacho swapped weren't poison. They were just placebos. If Nacho's aim was to poison Hector, he could have done it far more easily than by swapping out the pills. After all, in the very same episode he made the switch, he offered to make Hector an espresso, and Hector accepted.

Nacho's goal is for Hector to die of a heart attack. That would look natural, and wouldn't arouse suspicions from the cartel. If Hector died due to poisoning, an autopsy would easily discover that, and Nacho would then be in danger. Obviously Hector doesn't die, but it's looking likely this heart attack and lack of his medication is what puts him in the state we see him in Breaking Bad.
Yeah, exactly. I thought they made it clear he swapped it with ibuprofen? I can't remember the exact scene but I'm sure we saw that it was ibuprofen and not poison.

Was anyone else startled and a little confused when Kim passingly demonstrated an understanding of the Irene situation? It was never even hinted at that Jimmy had told her...and if he did, you would have thought that would have been an extremely dramatic moment in their relationship if Kim had learned that Jimmy had done something so utterly heinous.
My guess was that he told her in vague, general terms, but not the intricate details with the rigged bingo, buying the shoes, Irene in tears and her world falling apart, etc. Also it's different to just hear "so I kinda made some old ladies turn on their friend" and seeing it unfold and the real impact on the person, I think.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What really made the Irene situation hit just a wee bit harder for me is that Gennifer Hutchison (writer of "Lantern") created the character in Season 1 and named her after her own grandmother, who passed away a few weeks ago. The idea of Jimmy destroying the friendship of some woman who was enjoying her golden years guts me. I know we gotta follow him on the descent to becoming Saul, but I'm glad he made things right. I'm not ready for him to go 100% scumbag.

I kinda just went "huh, i guess he told Kim then".

You know how Jimmy is. He would have given her the sugar coated version and said how they will all be friends again. So it was only a surprise in that we didn't know he had told her. Pretty understandable she wasn't angry at him about it. Making an old lady upset in the short term is something a lot of people would not agree with doing but its not even close to ruining her social life to the point of depression. Jimmy wouldn't do that and Kim knows he will fix it. And he does.

Go_Ly_Dow

So, did Kim say she only had 6 hours of sleep throughout the entire week, or that she was running on 6 hours of sleep a night?

Guess we know how Jimmy gets his start-up money. He'd be the sole inheritor of the Chuck's buyout money, right? 3 million, if I'm not mistaken.

3million was the first payment with 3 more after that, I think?

And to counter balance a few on here, I can't wait to see Jimmy's descent into Saul. It's going to be gloriously heart-breaking. I think Kim is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back for him though, what are they going to do to her? :(

And to counter balance a few on here, I can't wait to see Jimmy's descent into Saul. It's going to be gloriously heart-breaking. I think Kim is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back for him though, what are they going to do to her? :(

Two more.

I am really curious about Chuck's will. I can see him writing Jimmy out, easily, give most to Rebecca. Anyone else?

Hanmik

I can't wait either.. thought it was going to happen this season, when he started selling those tv ads as Saul Goodman.

I think Kim is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back for him though, what are they going to do to her? :(

At first, I thought she'd be collateral damage in some vicious criminal enterprise in which Jimmy found himself. Then I figured such an event would only make Jimmy resentful towards criminals, which is why I'm not buying the drug dependency thing given his implicit involvement in Gus and Walt's meth enterprise later on. I think whatever happens to her would have to be caused by a person or an event symbolizing some element from the other side of the moral spectrum (the good side) that compels Jimmy to lose all faith in its wholesomeness. Maybe a cop or some other agent of the justice system brings about her ruin. Whatever it is, I suspect it's something that represents a principle Saul vehemently opposes.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Did they change writers between season 2 or 3? Quality dropped so much this season
I disagree with the notion that there was a drop in quality, but to answer your question: there was a change. Peter Gould was the sole showrunner in season 3. Seasons 1 and 2 had him and Vince Gilligan as co-showrunners, but Gilligan took a step back this season.

Grinchy

Banned
Incredible episode.
So does this mean that because chuck has no children that jimmy inherits all the money from HHM that was agreed or will it go to his ex-wife, i can't remember if they were divorced or not?

This is what I keep wondering about. Chuck's buy-out is already legally-bound, right? Does his death change that in any way?

Maybe he just already has a will in place that gives the money over to his ex-wife or something. It just wouldn't make sense that Jimmy gets $1M+ from the Sandpiper case and many millions more from Chuck's buy-out and then still becomes Saul, risking his life for thousands of dollars at a time.

riotous

Banned
it's kinda tough for me, at this point, to see how the writers are going to effectively turn jimmy into saul. they've made him such a three dimensional character on this show in comparison to who saul goodman is that it's almost as if they've really painted themselves into a corner to get him to be the shmuck that saul is in brba.

these guys do have a track record of expertly getting out of said corners and obviously have some time left, i just think as it stands now it's tough for me to reconcile the two depictions of the character.

Here's the thing though; Jimmy acts like a schmuck a lot of the time he's talking to other people in Better Call Saul as well. His entire personality involves putting on different faces, vocal tones, etc. when talking to people particularly when business is involved or he is "lawyering."

Then we see Jimmy when he's alone, or talking to Kim, or someone else he is close to, who he shows his real personality too.

In Breaking Bad we almost exclusively see schmuck Jimmy/Saul, as he is almost always talking to a "client." Yes he brings up ruthless suggestions which is scary, but that doesn't mean he's completely devoid of a personality outside of the "Saul" persona we see.

I think part of the transition to "Saul" is going to be Jimmy losing people in his life that he shows his real personality to; hell at this point it's mostly Kim and we know he'll lose her in some way. But we may get other characters who he is genuine with, and/or still continue to see Jimmy/Saul when he is alone and vulnerable.

big ander

I wonder if Chuck has a will at all. It would be appropriately ironic for a man obsessed with living life by the letter of the law to have forgotten to prepare for his own passing, leaving friends and family in a legal bind.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Here's the thing though; Jimmy acts like a schmuck a lot of the time he's talking to other people in Better Call Saul as well. His entire personality involves putting on different faces, vocal tones, etc. when talking to people particularly when business is involved or he is "lawyering."

Then we see Jimmy when he's alone, or talking to Kim, or someone else he is close to, who he shows his real personality too.

In Breaking Bad we almost exclusively see schmuck Jimmy/Saul, as he is almost always talking to a "client." Yes he brings up ruthless suggestions which is scary, but that doesn't mean he's completely devoid of a personality outside of the "Saul" persona we see.

I think part of the transition to "Saul" is going to be Jimmy losing people in his life that he shows his real personality to; hell at this point it's mostly Kim and we know he'll lose her in some way. But we may get other characters who he is genuine with, and/or still continue to see Jimmy/Saul when he is alone and vulnerable.
Yeah, this is a good take. Honestly, the real uphill climb will be Francesca.

pr0cs

This is what I keep wondering about. Chuck's buy-out is already legally-bound, right? Does his death change that in any way?
Probably a reasonable expectation that the fight for Chuck's buyout and corresponding will, will be a focus in the next season.
I can see a fight between hhm and Jimmy

LordRaptor

Chuck's buy-out is already legally-bound, right? Does his death change that in any way?

Assuming that Jimmy will inherit from Chuck (which is actually still an assumption) I doubt HHM would particularly want Jimmy as a named partner, even in name only

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Was Chuck's leaving HHM even formalized? Seemed like Howard planned for it cause he got the loans and had the check ready (he loves whipping out checks & cash) but we didn't see Chuck sign anything. Could've happened off camera, but there might be some room for fuckery there. Jimmy isn't getting the money, that's for sure. Saul Goodman is a strip mall, daytime TV lawyer. Gaudy taste aside, his practice is incredibly small and he was still hustling for a couple thousand dollars in Breaking Bad. Dude isn't a millionaire.

Was Chuck's leaving HHM even formalized? Seemed like Howard planned for it cause he got the loans and had the check ready (he loves whipping out checks & cash) but we didn't see Chuck sign anything. Could've happened off camera, but there might be some room for fuckery there.
My assumption was that it wasn't formalized and signed off yet, but they could probably play it either way when they pick things up next season.

Apparently Pinkmans house cameod this season?

19390659_1639739522734198_7578622813384516188_o.jpg

-griffy-

Banned
Apparently Pinkmans house cameod this season?

I do recall them saying that Pinkman's house was around the corner from Chuck's before, as far as the actual shooting locations. In one of the finale interviews they joked that Jesse could wander by Chuck's place and pull him out of the fire before he dies.

Fury451

Banned
it's kinda tough for me, at this point, to see how the writers are going to effectively turn jimmy into saul. they've made him such a three dimensional character on this show in comparison to who saul goodman is that it's almost as if they've really painted themselves into a corner to get him to be the shmuck that saul is in brba.

these guys do have a track record of expertly getting out of said corners and obviously have some time left, i just think as it stands now it's tough for me to reconcile the two depictions of the character.

It's possible that Saul has always been three dimensional, we just didn't see much of that. It's pretty clear to some point or another that that's an act and a character he plays to some extent, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch for them to flesh that out a little bit and show that that's indeed the case. But that he is still kind of a slimeball regardless.

As you mentioned, they tend to get themselves our pretty well somehow. Also worth noting that the character confirmed everything she said to him was true, even if his motives to have her help were noble, which was an interesting little character touch to show that people really do think of him that way; you can't escape that even when doing the right thing.

pigeon

Banned

Great perspective.

This point is actually specifically highlighted in this episode. Jimmy's behavior when he's on the mic with Erin? That's the first scene that's obviously just Saul Goodman. No filter, no politeness, no morality, just greed.

But that's also explicitly a scene where Jimmy is playing a part. He did do the stuff he's talking about, but he deliberately presents his thought process as much more self-centered than it actually is (and we know this because he's literally doing it to reverse the consequences of the action he took).

Jimmy's first Saul moment is him just pretending to be Saul to solve a problem. Eventually his whole life becomes that. But this is one of the first moments in the show that suggests that Saul might still be Jimmy underneath.

Veelk

Banned
He should also still be getting that Sandpiper money? Whether everyone hates him or not, he's still legally bound to get the +1 million in settlement money.

Not

Banned
People are going to know Chuck lost it by his call to service the electricity and the broken meter outside of the house.

I text a friend after watching the finale and I said "damn at that ending" which my friend responded "damn at those PJs." Lol I didn't even notice them.

+1 for the PJs

Seemed like the ending was inevitable, but still kinda surprises you. Great show.

He should also still be getting that Sandpiper money? Whether everyone hates him or not, he's still legally bound to get the +1 million in settlement money.
Now that the person handling their case is seen as the good guy and he's the bad guy, they're no longer settling. That money will be tied up for years.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I love this series so much. The character arcs are great, like a rollercoaster of hope and sadness. Especially with Jimmy, Chuck and Kim and the people around them. I can kind of relate to the relationship between Jimmy and Chuck to my own brother (not to that degree though, of course).
And the way they portray the relationship between Jimmy and Kim is so refreshing. They never show a sex scene or anything close to it (which I feel is usually the norm in that kind of situation), but you still understand that they clearly care and have a lot of respect for each other. Sometimes less is more.
And I'm worried about the day when Jimmy loses Kim and her trust. It's bound to happen, and it will make me so sad. Or hell, the very end of the episode with Chuck made me sad already. :(
Can't wait for the next season.

Top Bottom