• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Veelk

Banned
Hector is possibly the most unambiguously evil main character in the series. Well, depending on how you look at it, since the likes of Tuco and The Cousins seem more unhinged. But the younger Salamanca's are all the products of Hector, and unlike them, Hector seems to not have any clear mental dispositions toward sociopathy. We get a flashback of the cousins at their youngest where they seem much more like normal boys, in contrast to their terminator selves. I imagine Tuco was the same way, even if he came out more emotional than his cousins. But Hector? He just seems like a cold blooded motherfucker who thinks he's entitled to the whole world and has no concern for anyone or anything beyond his own power trip.

Kadayi

Banned
the show has become such a fan service in a good way that I have started to dread the jimmy segments, just give me more of Mike, Hector and Gus

True. I like Jimmy and Kim is excellent, but the Mike stuff is the more compelling story I'm finding. Honestly, it kind of felt like we were getting a pure Mike, Gus, Hector episode, given the opening and where it went, so I was a bit taken aback when Kim popped up.

Good to see Nacho, again. Though I hope we see more of him this season and not just as Hector's flunky.

They're both horrible people, but Gus doesn't seem capricious about it. He's just willing to grind people under him for a buck.

Hector, on the other hand, is all that and a bully.

Gus will kill you for failing him, Hector will kill you out of spite.

bluethree

the show has become such a fan service in a good way that I have started to dread the jimmy segments, just give me more of Mike, Hector and Gus

They really know how to build on existing characters in a way that's good fan service while not hurting the integrity of what they wrote for BB. That's actually pretty amazing.

bitbydeath

I hope this show isn't about him becoming Saul Goodman, I thought that'd happen in the first season but they just keep dragging it out.

Yes. He was always a mercurial loon.

9NDuwJA.gif

2HJyFgH.gif
lol these fucking gifs. Bless Eladio.

Also thanks for the post mortem stuff. This show is brilliant and I want to consume it ALL.

NinjaBoiX

Just watched the first episode and it was great as expected, but the whole fuel cap tracker thing was a bit silly. He changed the cap/tracker what, twice in the space of a few days? And his pursuers didn't start to get at all suspicious that I little RF transmitter was chewing through batteries that quickly?

I dunno, felt a bit daft to me.

Chuck's play with the tape recorder was very clever though.

Edit: hang on, the first time he just left the cap on the side in the parking lot didn't he? Never mind!

Yes. He was always a mercurial loon.

9NDuwJA.gif

2HJyFgH.gif

By the way, for anyone who doesn't listen to the podcast:

They didn't have that tequila bottle prop anymore, so they recreated it last year when Jimmy and Kim conned Ken Wins and got him to spend hundreds of dollars on shots of that same (fictional) brand over dinner early last season.

Assuming Jimmy is going to use the information Mike stole from Chuck to replace the original tape, does Jimmy have any recording of Chuck that would make Chuck sound crazy? Because the show placed a lot of emphasis on Chuck insisting that the tape will be played. The most dramatic thing would be that the tape winds up playing something that puts Chuck in a mental institution. And Jimmy is obviously going to be arguing that he broke into the house to destroy a tape that was going to wreck Chuck's career somehow. That it was all an act to protect Chuck from his own insanity. So what'll be on that tape when it gets played?

I think Jimmy is going to erase the parts where he admits what he did, and just leave the parts where Chuck is talking about how sick he's becoming. Diabolical.

Veelk

Banned
Breaking into Chuck's place a second time feels impractical. I mean, Mike might be able to do it, but if he were going to steal the time, it feels like when he was in posing as a repair dude, that would have been the opportune time. If he made a spare key to the door he fixed, then I feel like they would have shown that.

I honestly have no idea what Jimmy and Kim are up to. Can't wait to find out.

Lothar

Banned
Pretty weird. In BB i "hated" Gus and thought Hector was pretty oke. And now its the otherway arround haha.

That's the way we were supposed to feel. Gus seemed like a clear nasty piece of shit villain threatening the life of Walt's infant daughter. Now when we rewatch BB, I wonder if it'll completely change the way we all feel about Hector and Gus. Now, I feel like there's probably not a chance he would have carried through with his threat, right?

HardRojo

Hearing the attorney talk about Chuck's "illness" and their reaction made me say "fucking enablers!" out loud.
I have a suspicion this kid (Lyle?) in Los Pollos Hermanos is not going to leave the incident alone.
Also I enjoy seeing Don Eladio and the cartel but as a latino I cringe a little when I hear the forced spanish of some hispanic americans, its too obvious they don't speak it often (or at all).

I know right? I wish I had subtitles for those lol, at least Juan Bolsa, Eladio and the driver spoke mostly fine, Hector's lack of Spanish did show though.

I fucking laughed hard at the Chuck and Mike scene. Him revving that driller to keep Chuck away was one of the funniest things I've seen this year so far.

Said no one.

Eh, I prefer the Jimmy side of the story more, personally. I mean, I like the Mike side of it, and have no issues with Mike heavy episodes, but I just really like the lawyer storylines.

I mean, it's impressive that with all of the crazy drug dealers and scumbag criminals, the most irredeemable character on the show in my opinion is Chuck. I absolutely hate the man and haven't legitimately hated a villain in a show (the good kind of hate) since Joffrey.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Kind of curious, is there anyone here watching this without having watched Breaking Bad? Just kind of wondered how some of these characters are coming across to those who hadn't.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I always liked Gus because he was ruthless but he didn't want to be. He didn't it if it wasn't necessary but he never took any joy it in.

I was watching some comparisons of the Columbian BB version of the other day and it was amazing how they fucked up so much. For example, like the post above me talks, when Gus talks about killing his daughter, it's sad with almost disgust on Gus' part. He hates that he has to threaten Walter with something so horrible but if it has to be done, then it will, while in the Colombian version, their Gus smiles when he talks about killing his daughter. Totally misses the point of Gus as a character.
Kind of curious, is there anyone here watching this without having watched Breaking Bad? Just kind of wondered how some of these characters are coming across to those who hadn't.

I probably won't do it but I kinda would like to watch BB as soon as BCS ends just to see all that history behind Saul and Mike when they finally show up there.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I always liked Gus because he was ruthless but he didn't want to be. He didn't it if it wasn't necessary but he never took any joy it in.

I was watching some comparisons of the Columbian BB version of the other day and it was amazing how they fucked up so much. For example, like the post above me talks, when Gus talks about killing his daughter, it's sad with almost disgust on Gus' part. He hates that he has to threaten Walter with something so horrible but if it has to be done, then it will, while in the Colombian version, their Gus smiles when he talks about killing his daughter. Totally misses the point of Gus as a character.

I probably won't do it but I kinda would like to watch BB as soon as BCS ends just to see all that history behind Saul and Mike when they finally show up there.

I'm in the middle of a rewatch right now actually (early season 3). It's pretty interesting having the extra context. Like Mike watching the Cousins go into Walt's house, things like that.

BunnyBear

This show grabs you by the balls so tightly. It was definitely a slower episode but still had insane levels of intrigue. Loved the return of Don Eladio (and I appreciate being able to enjoy his accent and delivery considering I'm completely ignorant to Spanish) and the Mike stuff was brilliant. I could watch Mike fixing stuff for hours.

My favourite line was Jimmy's when he and Mike are at the diner and he's sifting through the photos: "at some point we're going to have to discuss the rule of thirds." Hahaha.

The worst part about BCS? It makes me so salty that Hector got the last laugh over Gus. He's such a cunt.

HoJu

Said no one.
Nah the Jimmy stuff is more compelling. Gus and old man are great actors and it's executed well, but we pretty much know the whole story and these characters from BB. It's just more of their feud, which is honestly just another gang war story. Never been much of a fan of the cartel stuff in BB though.

These podcasts everyone is referring to the drugs that Hector and Fring are running as meth, I thought it was cocaine all this time. It looks like a fine white powder in the show.

hydruxo

Yeah I'd be interested to hear impressions from someone who has never seen BB but is watching this. First two seasons of BCS had its fair share of BB characters and references, but this season is full on merging the shows (in a good way).

Both stories this week were excellent. My take on the pictures Mike took were to make Chuck look crazy. So when Chuck plays the tape it also has Jimmy saying he confessed to make Chuck feel better is going to show that Jimmy is caring for his brother and the confession is meaningless because it was a lie to make Chuck feel better. Chuck is going to be deemed incompetent and lose his licence.

They could also drag the doctor in who has suggested to Jimmy on multiple occasions to have Chuck commuted.

Toa TAK

Banned
Goddamn I missed Gus so much. Was rooting for him throughout Breaking Bad and was super conflicted when it went all out in season 4.

Fuck Hector, though. Didn't miss him and am waiting to see him get wheelchair'd.

Both stories this week were excellent. My take on the pictures Mike took were to make Chuck look crazy. So when Chuck plays the tape it also has Jimmy saying he confessed to make Chuck feel better is going to show that Jimmy is caring for his brother and the confession is meaningless because it was a lie to make Chuck feel better. Chuck is going to be deemed incompetent and lose his licence.

They could also drag the doctor in who has suggested to Jimmy on multiple occasions to have Chuck commuted.

I'm in with this, but what about the "destruction of personal property"? If what Jimmy confession was a lie, why did he went and destroyed the tape if there was nothing to worry about? How is he going to explaing going to his brother house all angry and destroying the tape?

I'm in with this, but what about the "destruction of personal property"? If what Jimmy confession was a lie, why did he went and destroyed the tape if there was nothing to worry about? How is he going to explaing going to his brother house all angry and destroying the tape?

The endgame was always to have the tape be officially destroyed. That's why they switched it to damaged before. Kim knew Chuck would insist on the tape being destroyed instead of damaged (even adding the extra $2 and change onto the damages).

It's all leading towards entrapment somehow, the only missing link is whatever was on the note Mike got.

What's on the tape doesn't matter legally, it never mattered. They talked about it last time how Jimmy could talk his way out of it.

I bet Jimmy will say he destroyed the tape because the tape was going to ruin Chuck's reputation by making Chuck look crazy. That he did it to protect Chuck.

The thing is, I can see Kim going along with all this to help Jimmy and get back at HHM. But it's probably going to cross a line. No way would Kim want to see Chuck actually committed over all this. We may all dislike Chuck because Chuck is fundamentally motivated by resentment toward Jimmy, but he doesn't deserve to be institutionalized. And that's probably going to be what happens.

The opening scene feels like it was straight up from BB. FeelsGoodMan. I'm sure many people notice this but the opening shot of Eladio diving into the pool is a reference to last time we saw him on BB. Does Hector saying "butt brothers" pretty much confirms that Gus is gay?? This was only subtly implied in the flashback scene during BB. I do hope we get another flashback scene with Gus and Max in BCS.

Chuck getting cocky thinking he has Jimmy in the corner will be his downfall. Looks like Jimmy and Kim's plan is to get Chuck disbarred by showing how crazy he is and how he is a danger to himself. Maybe that's why Jimmy had Mike take a bunch of pictures inside his house. Jimmy needs to show that Chuck is incapable of supporting himself on his own. I wonder if he will get Rebecca to appear.

Regarding the opening scenes, they noted on the podcast that they ended up using more handheld shots than usual because they were really time constrained on the set in Mexico. BB used a lot of these whereas they deliberately avoided them on BCS initially. However, the DP and the director noted that it wasn't a choice to make it look more like BB, but rather they just stumbled into it this week because they were running out of daylight when on set. Happy coincidences...

One other tidbit, apparently it was really cold on set and they said Steven Bauer was a pro for hanging out (literally and figuratively) in a speedo for the shoot.

This show grabs you by the balls so tightly. It was definitely a slower episode but still had insane levels of intrigue. Loved the return of Don Eladio (and I appreciate being able to enjoy his accent and delivery considering I'm completely ignorant to Spanish) and the Mike stuff was brilliant. I could watch Mike fixing stuff for hours.

My favourite line was Jimmy's when he and Mike are at the diner and he's sifting through the photos: "at some point we're going to have to discuss the rule of thirds." Hahaha.

The worst part about BCS? It makes me so salty that Hector got the last laugh over Gus. He's such a cunt.

Did he really? Assuming Gustav put him in that chair, at most he evened the score at the cost of his own life.

I don't understand the perspectives changing on Hector from people with this episode, like we know a lot more about his character and how pathetic he can be now, but in the previous series we saw him nearly drown a kid, and we also saw him whip his dick out to piss in a pool and fuck with gus as well as the rest of the terrible things he did with Gus and his friends.

All this episode made me do is like him more, it's still more than perfect that he was able to kill Gus.

Chumley

Banned
Regarding the opening scenes, they noted on the podcast that they ended up using more handheld shots than usual because they were really time constrained on the set in Mexico. BB used a lot of these whereas they deliberately avoided them on BCS initially. However, the DP and the director noted that it wasn't a choice to make it look more like BB, but rather they just stumbled into it this week because they were running out of daylight when on set. Happy coincidences...

One other tidbit, apparently it was really cold on set and they said Steven Bauer was a pro for hanging out (literally and figuratively) in a speedo for the shoot.

I love that the podcast gets into the technical details of shooting it.

Handheld is indeed more time efficient than setting up tripods and dolly's.

I thought it was obvious that what Mike got from Chuck's house was the location of the original tape and then later Kim managed to get confirmation that it is the only and original copy

Top Bottom