• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better investment for a 2nd console... ps3 or ps2?

Kingpen

There is the odd moment when I don't have access to play my 360 in the living room. I would like to be able to have another system to go and play if I need too. Being that 360 is my primary console, I have thought about a ps3 but there are many negatives about it right now. I don't want to be forced to buy a 60 gig harddrive which I will never fill up, and the TV is a standard def that it would be going on, so it isn't like I can maximize the picture like I can on my LCD + 360. Plus I think the wife would bitch about 700 bucks (system + tax + one game)

Plus my wife thinks I have an obsession about videogames, so I don't want to totally be in the dog house...

I'm just wondering if now is a good time to get a ps2 in the lifespan. I can think of several cheaper games that I would want for the 'collection'

MGS3: Subsistance
Soul Calibur 3
Tekken 5
Def Jam FFNY
Resident Evil 4
God of War series (never played)
Mercenaries
and probably a lot more (i have played most of these, but want them for a secondary replay value).

Am I right in my thinking to get a ps2 now?

Ranger X

For an extremely small entry fee, the PS2 opens your library options extremely wide. Therefore it's a good investment imo.

PS3 is gets more interesting as of next week and in tthe month of March and 2007 is shaping up to be awesome for the PS3

the only logical reason to buy a PS2 is the be able to play DDR and Guitar Heroes.

if you do not plan to play DDR or Guitar Heroes at all, save your 125 bucks and buy a PS3.

March madness begins and like I said, 2007 is already smoking with titles be the year's end

radjago

You'd be better off buying a PS2 now and waiting for the PS3 to drop in price, unless there are any games out for it now that you must play.

maybe in November, December or January you would of had buyer's rumorse

but the software drought ends next Tuesday and begins a mad dash of great titles for the next months

Europe is getting a sweet PS3 launch with "games" in their launch.

Time to buy a PS3? that would be March

Kingpen

It would be a really hard desicion if the 20 gig were available... it is isn't.... Being that I don't have wireless in my house, I wouldn't be able to go online anyway since the other tv is upstairs and my pc is downstairs.

I think I'll play the 'it would be nice to have a 2nd dvd player on the tv upstairs' excuse...

Kingpen

Oh yeah, have a psp as well, but I would like to make some use out of that 32 incher upstairs.... psp is very nice, but I can only look at that small screen for so long

wait for the 20GB SKU to get more available again. After the European launch is done, the hardware squeeze will probably be more relaxed

I got a 20GB, and it's a great choice. If you ever feel that the HDD is not enough, you can always upgrade later if you chose to

PS2 due to God of War. Those games are better than anything on the PS3 at the moment. You also can get both God of War's and a slimline PS2 for $200.

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
If you're tight on cash just get a PS2. Get one of the slimline silvers (drool) and go to gamecrazy and for under $200 you can have a very strong library. Remember to leave $40 left over to buy Okami new. It deserves the money and you deserve the perfection. And your telly is 32 in? Yea, stick with the PS2.

Zonar

HocusPocus said:
PS2 due to God of War. Those games are better than anything on the PS3 at the moment. You also can get both God of War's and a slimline PS2 for $200.
I can agree with this post.

Buy a PS2. By the time you've exhausted its awesome library, the the PS3 will have dropped by more than $150 and will have an awesome library of its own.

Umino

gutter_trash said:
add $25 to your PS2 if you decided to buy a PS2. Memory Cards.. old fashionned memory cards

125 dollars becomes 150 dollars

Shit! $150? Well once you start getting in that range you may as well just spend the extra couple bucks and get a PS3.

Chris_C

Depends on your budget. Obviously the better choice is a PS3 since it also plays PS2 games, and of course there are some pretty cool PS3 exclusives lined up this year.

I just bought a PS3 day before yesterday and so far I'm thoroughly impressed, the build quality is amazing and the Motorstorm demo is absolutely unbelievable. I've also been playing a backlog of PS2 games like Okami (it's as good as everyone says) FF12, Dragon Quest, MGS3 etc. While waiting for the good PS3 games to hit there's a great catalogue of PS2 games you can now get at a budget price.

Umino

Buy a PS2 and then buy your wife a diamond necklace. It's more mathematically sound. Here, let me demonstrate:

PS3= hi def + MGS4 + Resistance=:)

PS2 + Necklace= obligatory necklace poon + every good game sans GOW2 and FFXII can be had for under $30 or even $20 + world peace + eternal happiness = :D

tanod

when is my burrito
I think most would agree that if you have the resources, buy a PS3. I would have bought the 20GB at first but my wife told me if I was gonna spend the money on it, I should get the 60GB. I think you'd be happy with either PS3 sku if you can afford it.

dude Virtua Fighter 5 next week man
Motorstorm in March
Q*bert HD for PSN!!!!
Tekken 5 Dark Resurection in 2 weeks on PSN

then you got your Virtua Tennis, Burnout and all those types of games that I won't buy but other people will and all sort of other stuff I don't remember

then you got MGS4, DMC4, GTA4, Heavenly Sword, Tekken 6 (maybe) all comming out in 2007

a cheap 150 dollar console sound good now, but by Christmas you will wish you bought a PS3 instead and didn't throw away 150 bucks.

PS3 is BCable with PS2 games

only for DDR and Guitar Heroes would be reasons to buy a PS2. If not, buy a PS3 and play God Of War with a wireless controller on PS3

It's a sound financial choice: 20GB SKU FTW

pswii60

gutter_trash said:
PS3 is gets more interesting as of next week and in tthe month of March and 2007 is shaping up to be awesome for the PS3

the only logical reason to buy a PS2 is the be able to play DDR and Guitar Heroes.

if you do not plan to play DDR or Guitar Heroes at all, save your 125 bucks and buy a PS3.

March madness begins and like I said, 2007 is already smoking with titles be the year's end

DDR and Guitar Hero are coming to 360 in March. There goes that logical reason.

Actually there are many other logical reasons to own a PS2 - to play the wealth of great games that have come out for it over the last 5 years.

PS3 is more of an investment but if it's just for a second room for when you can't play on your 360 then I wouldn't spend that much money.

Sorry, I admit I just now read your full post.

If you're using it as a secondary console on an SDTV, the choice is abundantly clear. PS2. If in a year from now you change your mind, just ebay your PS2 and get a PS3. The trade in $ + price drop that HAS to happen for the PS3 will even out what you spent on getting the PS2 in the first place.

Taking the Blu Ray out of the PS3 (since you're on SD) should make this decision that much easier.

But hey, if you can afford both easily, you can't really go wrong with either. PS2 just makes more sense on an economical level.

ps3 if you money to throw, ps2 if you dont...thing is you get a ps2, enjoy some of the games, realise you want to play their follow ups and get a ps3...but anyway by the time that happens a ps3 will be cheaper than it is now, including your original expenditure on ps2

peace

Aeon712

PS3 should not be played on a sdtv, save yourself the extra money and buy the PS2 and enjoy God Of War 2.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
helllllooooo
phone.jpg

hello?

nelsonroyale said:
ps3 if you money to throw, ps2 if you dont...thing is you get a ps2, enjoy some of the games, realise you want to play their follow ups and get a ps3...but anyway by the time that happens a ps3 will be cheaper than it is now, including your original expenditure on ps2

peace

Not another one!

:lol

Laramie said:
PS3 is $600

helloooooooooo

there is also a $500 version that a certain fanboy group keeps forgetting about... hellllllllllllloooooooooooo

not to mention ps3 is a hella lot more stable than PS2.

ram

ps3 because:

- plays all ps2 and ps1 games
- plays ps3 next generation games
- arcade exclusive titles like gripshift or flow
- blu-ray high dev movie playback

imo its the better investment, because the flow of new games for ps2 will run dry and yeah, sometimes its hard to go back (to dated visuals).

By the time you get done playing all the great PS2 titles the PS3 might have dropped in price and you can sell your PS2 back for some cash and pick up a cheaper PS3.

Top Bottom