• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better investment for a 2nd console... ps3 or ps2?

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
Doom_Bringer said:
there is also a $500 version that a certain fanboy group keeps forgetting about... hellllllllllllloooooooooooo

not to mention ps3 is a hella lot more stable than PS2.

Really? I can get a Ps3 plus tax plus something to play for $500? Well sign me up!

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
Doom_Bringer said:

Well that does make sense... A brand new console on its first version full of many more powerful parts is probably more stable than a slimline that sony's had five or so years to work out the bugs in.

Laramie said:
Well that does make sense... A brand new console on its first version full of many more powerful parts is probably more stable than a slimline that sony's had five or so years to work out the bugs in.

Did you just reply twice to the same post? :lol

I have a slimline PS2 and the second memory card slot doesn't work. :( I never used it anyways.

Oh, my slim PS2 is the loudest of the systems I have, too. But, yeah, I imagine there'll be some bugs in the PS3's initial run that get found out the hard way by early adopters. That's why you get a warranty, though.

SleazyC

Laramie said:
Really? I can get a Ps3 plus tax plus something to play for $500? Well sign me up!
Well technically you could just download demos. Maybe you could keep re-downloading the Genji 2 demo and pretend its a different game.

Big-E

Laramie said:

So I guess with your reasoning then the XBOX 360 is $500 correct? As to the topic creator, I would get the PS3 if you are not scared of the cost. If you can afford it get it, but if you don't want to part with that much money get a PS2.

Wollan

Get a PS3. It isn't like you won't get one this year eventually anyway when Sony show of their fall lineup.

Laramie said:

Those Slim PS2's are still prone to overheating and DRE's. Honestly the PSP and the PS3 are the best video game hardware Sony has put out on the market. End of story

kevm3

Might as well go all the way and get a PS3 if you have the money. You're probably going to want to play games like Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Ninja Gaiden, or Lair when they come out. In the meantime, you can play all the PS2 games to your heart's content. Also, you won't need any memory cards. You'll save more money in the long-run by getting the PS3 instead of buying a PS2, selling it, and getting a PS3 down the line.

DenogginizerOS said:
As an investment, PS3 all the way.

I guess that makes sense. PS2 as an investment for a second console isn't very good. Within a year it won't have much to speak of, while the PS3 will hopefully be picking up a lot of traction.

But, I still think as a second console the PS2 is a better option. Guess it all depends on how badly you want to play the PS3's first year lineup as soon as they come out.

gutter_trash said:
man, when will you guys learn that the 20GB SKU exists?

When will you learn that some people figure if they're gonna buy a system, they might as well get the best SKU available? When talking $500-$600, $100 isn't a huge stretch for a consumer. The problem is in justifying either price (500 or 600) with the current library and quality alternatives.

That's the boat I'm in. I'll get a PS3 and I'll get it at the higher-end SKU, but only when it makes sense for me to do so.

it's not a tard pack, there is nothing the 20GB handicaps you from the 60GB SKU when say compared to the 360 Core with the 260 Premium

me is a happy 20GB owner :p

Dali

1)Playing to be done on a SDTV
2)Must be justifyable to wife, price wise
3)Already own one HD vg system

I think your choice is pretty clear. PS2 FTW. The PS3 and 360 will mostly be sharing titles until the end of the year, so I think you will get more "bang per buck" out of the PS2. If you've never owned one, then your talking about a huge library of really great games for cheap that would be instantly available. Add to that GoW 2 and many Japanese developers are still trickling titles out (Odin's Sphere, Persona 3) and I think it is really a no brainer.

gutter_trash said:
it's not a tard pack, there is nothing the 20GB handicaps you from the 60GB SKU when say compared to the 360 Core with the 260 Premium

I'm glad you're happy. :)
I'll eventually be a happy 60GB owner.

PS2.

Reasons:
-There are like a bajillion awesome PS2 games to keep you occupied until the inevitable PS3 price drop.
-VF5 is not the be-all end-all game for everybody, gutter_trash. I played VF4 for like 5 hours and never touched it again.
-For a relatively small amount of money, you'll be able to enjoy a ton of great games and in the meantime, gauge whether you'll want a PS3 by what's announced (or maybe more importantly, what isn't).
-Between $500 - $600, which is an assload of money, and not much to show for it yet. Once you're over how cool-looking it is, you'll realize the library isn't nearly developed enough to justify the pricetag yet.

Plus, you're using an SDTV, right? That shoots the blu-ray functionality out of the water.

SleazyC

gutter_trash said:

Actually the 20GB SKU has a HD with lower RPMs and apparently it comes into factor on some games that use the HD to lessen load times (e.x. GripShift).

but if that really is a bother, the PS3 is flexible enough to allow you to upgrade with a 2.5'' 5400 RPM HDD of your choice

not being shackled by propriatary HDDs like say the competition

Treo360

Doom_Bringer said:
there is also a $500 version that a certain fanboy group keeps forgetting about... hellllllllllllloooooooooooo

That's a very "fan boyish" like response. Not calling you a fan boy, just the response.

Considering I know where Kingpen lives he would pay approximately $540.49 on the system alone(with tax) add another $40 (used) to $65 on a game, and that would take him over $600

King, you and I have talked briefly on this before, getting a Ps3 right now would be a waste especially on a SDtv.

Heck shoot me a PM or send me a message on XBL and I'll sell you my Pstwo, and I'll solve your dilemma quickly.

ps3 if you money to throw, ps2 if you dont...thing is you get a ps2, enjoy some of the games, realise you want to play their follow ups and get a ps3...but anyway by the time that happens a ps3 will be cheaper than it is now, including your original expenditure on ps2

Dali said:
1)Playing to be done on a SDTV
2)Must be justifyable to wife, price wise
3)Already own one HD vg system

I think your choice is pretty clear. PS2 FTW. The PS3 and 360 will mostly be sharing titles until the end of the year, so I think you will get more "bang per buck" out of the PS2. If you've never owned one, then your talking about a huge library of really great games for cheap that would be instantly available. Add to that GoW 2 and many Japanese developers are still trickling titles out (Odin's Sphere, Persona 3) and I think it is really a no brainer.

truth

gutter_trash said:
but if that really is a bother, the PS3 is flexible enough to allow you to upgrade with a 2.5'' 5400 RPM HDD of your choice

not being shackled by propriatary HDDs like say the competition

And then you're spending more money, again.

OP - Get a PS2 then wait and see on the PS3. It could single-handedly destroy all of its competition and be a no-brainer purchase in 2 years, or it could become a Final Fantasy box with sagging sales and poor third party support. With the PS2, you at least know you're getting a winner at a bargain price.

The PS3 is more aptly labeled as an investment, but you can lose out on those too. Why gamble, when you already know of a ton of PS2 games that you can play NOW?

Forgotten Ancient said:
The PS3 is more aptly labeled as an investment, but you can lose out on those too. Why gamble, when you already know of a ton of PS2 games that you can play NOW?

I don't understand the GAMBLE, it's not an Atari Jaguar or a Panasoinc 3DO, there is no gamble of it dropping off the face of the earth

the PS3 is designed to make this gen last LONGER then the competition envisions

xsarien

daedsiluap
Buy a PS2. They're dirt cheap, the hardware is as stable as it's going to get, the library is massive and while there are a few good titles on the PS3, none of them - none of them - justify either price point. Buy it when the price of the PS3 is down to a number that makes it and the PS2 combined $600 or less.

fernoca

Hmm..weird situation.

If anyone is debating wheter to buy a PS3 or a PS2..I suppose is because he/she can a fford to buy a PS3 now..right??

The PS3 is 99% backward compatible with the PS2 and the PS1 (1% being the games that require additional controllers like DDR, Guitar Hero, etc)....

So, look at it this way..if you have the money, buy a PS3..that way you'll also have a PS2. ;) (kinda)

The PS3 has a fairly weak lineup of games right now. It's very expensive. You need an HDTV to maximize its potential.

The PS2 has perhaps the best game library in history. It's very cheap. It won't look any better on an HDTV (and might even look worse -- imperfections get magnified).

The logical choice is to buy a PS2 now, and a PS3 much further down the road when it drops in price and the game library improves.

Don't let people who are trying to rationalize their PS3-buying decision sway you from the voice of reason.

Speevy

Banned
The PS3 may play all/most PS2 game, but for the immediate future, there's not $470 worth of value associated with the PS3.

Just wait. There's no regret associated with buying the PS2.

And if you said "360 or PS2, I've never played games for either.", you know what I'd say?

PS2.

gutter_trash said:
I don't understand the GAMBLE, it's not an Atari Jaguar or a Panasoinc 3DO, there is no gamble of it dropping off the face of the earth

But if Sony doesn't find itself being the overwhelming market leader, it's not up to them to decide when the next generation begins. If Sony's isn't #1 in either Japan or North America, they have very little leverage to control what the market does.

So, 10 year plans are cool and all...but if the masses decide they want something different in 5, Sony better be ready for it.

I don't think Sony's going to fall flat on its face. I don't think the PS3 is particularly an awful purchase right now, but I'm not confident enough in its future or happy enough with its imminent library to warrant the $600 price tag that I would otherwise be willing to pay.

Kingpen

HELLLOOOOO! lol :lol

Wow, didn't think i would garner this much interest.... Yeah, i'm only looking to get a secondary system for secondary play time right now (360 is my sole next gen system until I see at least 5 games a different system that makes my nuts pop that ISN'T coming for 360). My 360 will still get at least 85% of my playtime...

My wife mentioned how Guitar Hero looked fun, so I might just go get that combo and see if we can utilize it as a party tool as well. I think I read that Denogg seduces his wife the same way... :D I realize that guitar hero is coming for 360, but I don't want a wired controller on my wireless system, so I'll go with the cheaper PS2 version..

I also absolutely love VF, but I can buy Evo to tide me over until August and hopefully a more polished version of VF5 comes out to 360.

Treo.... thanks for the offer, but I have some trade cred at gamestop that doesn't need to be wasted on Def Jam Icon and Command and Conquer 3 that I need to use....

Lets get some Chromehounds action going again! Thanks for the replies all, I think I got my concensus opinion, and just revalidated what my gut was telling me...

Wulfer

Oh no, Kingpen you did it... You put the 360 ahead of the PS3 don't you know you can't do that here? Well besides all that (I agree with you! :)) Really I have no time for another system and LIVE eats up all my free time! (So I agree with 85 percentage figure too...) To answer your question I'm sure you can find a good used one. My local used store ([NOT GameStop or EB.....] I know the owner worked for him as a 2nd job for a while) sales his PS2's $100 and thin ones for $130... They're coming down in price pretty quick!

mj1108

If you are considering spending $600 on Playstation stuff, buy yourself a PS2 and then a pile of games.

Wait on the PS3.

Get a PS3. Although PS2 may be cheap, what PS3 comes with at its price destroys the PS2. You can play multi-player games without a multi-tap, save games onto HDD (transfer them with USB flash drive), and awesome media features.

Plus, you can download Tekken 5 DR, if you want Tekken 5 so badly.

I can tell many people who posted in this thread don't have a PS3, because once you play PS2 games on PS3, there's no wanting to go back (especially with quicker load times and its just easier playing PS2 games on PS3).
rs7k said:
Get a PS2. Like me, you'll have buyer's remorse if you buy the PS3.
Yeah right. I play mu PS3 everyday. If I had any buyers remorse now, its with me 360 IMO.
Forgotten Ancient said:
And then you're spending more money, again.
But we'll end up with a larger HDD in the end, around a 100GB or 120GB, for the same price as a 60GB.
pswii60 said:
DDR and Guitar Hero are coming to 360 in March. There goes that logical reason.
Not Guitar Hero one. Also, the PS2 DDR games are made by the arcade DDR team (who can do DDR right), so it would make sense to still get them for PS2. But if you aren't a hardcore fan of either series, then getting them on 360 would be fine (and just go ahead with a PS3).

CSSer

PS3. With both the 360 and PS3, you won't miss much this generation. You're looking for at least 5 exclusive killer apps... of course the PS3 will have those games to fit the bill.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I haven't read the rest of the thread, but...

If money is no object, I'd go with the PS3. It's PS1 BC is supposedly great, and I hear that the PS2 BC is primarily fixed as well (once you update your firmware). Additionally, if you don't already have a PS2, then not being able to transfer your PS2 saves from the PS3 to a PS2 mem stick is a non-issue for you.

However, for a much smaller cash investment, you can get an older model PS2, trick it out with a decent HDD and get HDLoader, then you can play a huge number of PS2 games straight out of the HDD for usually greatly decreased loads. This is not an option with the PS3, and the primary reason why my PS2 and PS3 are hooked up side by side (and why I haven't bothered with the PS3's BC at all.) Of course, I get the feeling that the PS2's playback will always be better than the PS3's. But who knows.

I think the $500 PS3 would be the best investment. It'll do everything the PS2 does and save you money from having to buy (at least) one memory card. If you're buying a ton of PS2 games you will fill up one memory card pretty quickly. If you want to play any PS1 games youll need another one for them too. Maybe memory cards aren't the biggest investment in money but the virtual ones on PS3 are really nice. Another advantage the PS3 has for PS2 games is the wireless controller. I just hate having wires hang everywhere. Of course you'll also have access to the PSN store with cheap PS1 games (some day playable on PS3), free demos and some cool trailers.

The PS2 is a great deal, but if you're not pressed for money (which you don't seem to be, you just don't want to anger your wife) I'd go with the PS3.

careksims

I agree with the others. PS3 all the way. I'm surprise that this system is actually stable unlike the 360(I still adore it) but I haven't had any freezes.

hello.jpg

gutter_trash said:

Jesus Christ, do you have Sony Playstation tattooed on your ass?

Treo360

Mana Knight said:
Yeah right. I play mu PS3 everyday. If I had any buyers remorse now, its with me 360 IMO.

I would too if that's the only games that you've played. :(

Kingpen, I'll catch you online later.

I would definitely buy a PS2 just because you can buy all the games you have interest in and not spend as much as buying the PS3, plus you can enjoy them on the system they were designed for using the technology they use (rumble).

Drek

So you aren't putting it on a high def tv?

Why waste the money then? The 360 and PS3 are designed for HD, if you aren't making use of it you're buying equipment you won't use.

If there is no chance you'll move it onto a HDTV in the near future then save yourself some money and buy a PS2 or Wii. The former has an awesome library that you can get fairly cheap, the later gives you the lifespan of a next gen console at a reasonable price and a real change of pace from your 360.

Kingpen said:
There is the odd moment when I don't have access to play my 360 in the living room. I would like to be able to have another system to go and play if I need too. Being that 360 is my primary console, I have thought about a ps3 but there are many negatives about it right now. I don't want to be forced to buy a 60 gig harddrive which I will never fill up, and the TV is a standard def that it would be going on, so it isn't like I can maximize the picture like I can on my LCD + 360. Plus I think the wife would bitch about 700 bucks (system + tax + one game)

Plus my wife thinks I have an obsession about videogames, so I don't want to totally be in the dog house...

I'm just wondering if now is a good time to get a ps2 in the lifespan. I can think of several cheaper games that I would want for the 'collection'

MGS3: Subsistance
Soul Calibur 3
Tekken 5
Def Jam FFNY
Resident Evil 4
God of War series (never played)
Mercenaries
and probably a lot more (i have played most of these, but want them for a secondary replay value).

Am I right in my thinking to get a ps2 now?

Since I got my PS3, I've become a big fan of the system. It really is great, and I'm totally believing the hype now.

I'm also a huge fan of the PS2 library. My favorite console library in the history of gaming.

Having said all that though, I read your post, and I think that right now you should buy NEITHER.

Why? Well to me, it sounds like you need a new second TV, (but this one being an HDTV,) more than you need a new game system. You could keep the 360 on that for the time being, gaming in HD bliss, and It'll set the stage perfectly for you eventually getting a PS3. Once the wife gets used to seeing HD, it becomes an easy transition to say, "boy, I wish we had could watch Blu-ray movies in HD--oh, look at that, I'm so shocked to read that the PS3 is the cheapest Blu-ray player..."

So, I'd say the answer to your question is that the PS3 is ultimately the best investment, but that's not really what you need to get right now.

Grayman

Next gen games still are better looking in SD(aren't they?)

One thing I would personally worry about in your situation with the ps2 is sinking the money into it then later getting a PS3.

Great system and a lot of games I'm just thinking of the 200ish(memory card, extra controller, impulse purchase of $50 game in the store) that could go towards a ps3.

SleazyC

Grayman said:
Next gen games still are better looking in SD(aren't they?)
Next gen games look much better on HDTV's. That being said they are still very much playable on SDTV's and don't look bad at all.

Top Bottom