• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better investment for a 2nd console... ps3 or ps2?

Carlisle

Simple:

1) Look at the current and future PS3 library.
2) Anything remotely interesting?
3) ???
4) Profit.

If there's nothing of interest, then don't bother getting a PS3. A PS2 can do all the stuff you'd mostly be buying a PS3 for.

If there are games of interest, and you see yourself wanting a PS3 down the road, you may as well go ahead and get it now. It would be cheaper in the long run than buying two consoles. And in this case can you be sure that it's an "investment" that'll pay off.

ypo

Buying a PS2 at this point is a waste of money if you are planning to buy a PS3 within the next 2 years. Think about it. A PS2 is going to cost you $150 with a memory card. Are you going to wait untill the PS3 drop by $150 before buying it? I don't see that happening within 2 years. If you can wait that long then buy a PS2 if not that $150 is pretty much wasted at this point because owning a PS3 makes the PS2 obsolete.

Wollan

ypo said:
Buying a PS2 at this point is a waste of money if you are planning to buy a PS3 within the next 2 years. Think about it. A PS2 is going to cost you $150 with a memory card. Are you going to wait untill the PS3 drop by $150 before buying it? I don't see that happening within 2 years. If you can wait that long then buy a PS2 if not that $150 is pretty much wasted at this point because owning a PS3 makes the PS2 obsolete.

. (Actually I do see a 150-200$ pricedrop in the next 2 years but no more)

And the lineup is going to be incredible.

MoxManiac

Doom_Bringer said:
there is also a $500 version that a certain fanboy group keeps forgetting about... hellllllllllllloooooooooooo

not to mention ps3 is a hella lot more stable than PS2.

$500 is still way too much

Grayman

SleazyC said:
Next gen games look much better on HDTV's. That being said they are still very much playable on SDTV's and don't look bad at all.
I thought so, but people in the thread were implying otherwise.

MoxManiac said:
$500 is still way too much
doesn't have as bad of a ring to it :lol

gutter_trash said:
maybe in November, December or January you would of had buyer's rumorse

but the software drought ends next Tuesday and begins a mad dash of great titles for the next months

Europe is getting a sweet PS3 launch with "games" in their launch.

Time to buy a PS3? that would be March

why whats happening in march for the ps3?

Wollan

thingonaspring said:
why whats happening in march for the ps3?

A good stable of great games will be available for the system.

AAA games include Resistance, Virtua Fighter 5, Oblivion & MotorStorm

Then you will have some very solid titles in Ridge Racer 7, Basketball, VT3, F1..etc.

+ Alot of PSN content to get your head around (Fl0w, GTHD, T5, Calling all Cars, Lemmings..etc).

Z3F

Banned
Since you already have a Xbox 360 and price is an issue, I'll have to recommend the PS2. Many of the stuff that you can find on the PS3 are already on the 360 and in most cases, they are better on the 360. Also, although the recent firmware has alleviated the problems somewhat, PS2 games still look better on a PS2 than on a PS3. You should also try out Resistance before making a decision. Many people here love Resistance but it's not a system seller for me. If I had known how much I would have liked Resistance then I definitely would have waited until MGS4 is released before buying a PS3.

Top Bottom