• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 Requires an Internet Connection

EssKayZee

Source: Dualshockers

The Beyond Good and Evil 2 Developers were asked if the game would require an internet connection even if they were playing through the game solo. The team stating:

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is an online, multiplayer game with a rich co-op and seamless experience. As such, the game will only be playable with an internet connection in order to have seamless navigation, receive dynamic updates, and play with friends (which is certainly better when you’re playing as a Space Pirate!). The choice to play co-op, however, remains yours to make, so playing BGE2 solo is absolutely possible if you’re into that lone Space Pirate kinda thing…”

olimariOA

Banned
I hope the game does well, but every new bit of news about it makes me certain it isn't for fans of the original.
I love tight Single Player games and there simply aren't enough Ocarina clones out there, especially with the high quality music and style of BG&E1. The sequel being some online free roam garbage bores me on a conceptual level.

CatCouch

Well, this killed the game for me. I don't have particularly great internet (satellite) and I have a data cap I really have to watch. No matter how much I want to play, if I have to suck up precious data just to play by myself I don't think it will be a wise choice for me to even try. The constant worry that I'm wasting data would kill my desire to explore.

I'm not sure I was even in, but I'm out. The cool thing about BG&E1 is that it was a timeless classic that people were still discovering years, even decades after it was released. Everything I see about BG&E2 screams "this game will not work when you first get it, won't have the staying power of the original, and even if it did, they'll turn off the servers and it will cease to exist for everybody in a few years anyway". It's a long scream.

Killer751

Banned
I hope the game does well, but every new bit of news about it makes me certain it isn't for fans of the original.
I love tight Single Player games and there simply aren't enough Ocarina clones out there, especially with the high quality music and style of BG&E1. The sequel being some online free roam garbage bores me on a conceptual level.

I never considered this. I am not a fan of the original (It seems like a lazy OOT clone to me, which I also don't like) but everything I've seen from the sequel doesn't really seem to have anything to do with the original.

The appeal of the original is being a journalist exposing a government conspiracy, right? Do more with that. Don't make it something it isn't.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
guys, we are not in the middle ages anymore. there is the thing called internet. ever heard of that? get it ffs
The bigger issue here is when series which was single player focus becomes online only game, the story usually takes back seat. Just like recently released Fallout 76. They will say you can play this solo but online only games are designed around playing with others so as result play these games solo usually are not fun.

Last edited:

azz0r

Banned
guys, we are not in the middle ages anymore. there is the thing called internet. ever heard of that? get it ffs

I really don't think thats the point. It's not what fans are expecting. For example, this news to me hit me like the idea of RDR2 requiring a connection to play single player.

Teslerum

Anyone remember the old leak?

Yeah, the more I hear about this game the more I'm sure this is going to be another *I'd rather have had that version* kind of deal.
For me, at least, it already is. I can't seem to find any of the originals charm in recent videos.

Last edited:
In the next generation, I have a strong feeling that developers will try to push the online only infrastructure in a lot more games unfortunately.

stranno

so basically it will be an unusable game 5 years after release. No thanks, I like owning things.
Ubisoft has offline-patched some online-only games after servers died, like HAWX2.

But i dont think this will be the case, it seems like the game stream some stuff real-time, its doesnt look just a DRM solution.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Thought the first game sucked. One of those Zelda clones that everyone nutted over backwhen but I never thought it came close.

I don’t even know what this is. They make it seem like an open world cooperative game and in that case and I’m not sure if we could create our on character... because you’d expect that much. Hopefully it does.

It sounds like open world sci fi ghost recon at this point. I love online games so that part doesn’t bother me.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

This is bullshit. Why even call it Beyond Good and Evil when it clearly is not intended to be anything remotely similar to Beyond Good and Evil? And rich co-op and seamless adventure are the hottest buzz words for the new millenium.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I enjoyed the first game, but the sequel isn't for me. Several reasons. First, it seems designed mainly as a multiplayer online co-op game. Although they say can play "lone space pirate if that's what you're into," their main priority is the online multiplayer/co-op . I'm an SP gamer, so they lost me there. Second, the "always online" requirement is a non-starter for me, since my consoles aren't always plugged into the internet. Third, the game doesn't seem to resemble the original game much at all, except in name; it feels like something different. So I think I'm out.

Last edited:

Hudo

I am still confused. What they have shown so far suggests that this game has a strong focus on multiplayer. So, for someone who loved the first game, this doesn't seem to go in a direction that I'd wanted it to go. It makes sense from a business point of view, however...

My internet is not the most reliable service, and to add insult to injury, has data caps. Any game that requires internet might as well have a sign that says, “it’s not up to you when and if you can play this”.

Fbh

As someone who never played the original I kinda liked the look of the new one.
But this just sounds like yet another multiplayer "game as a service" kinda deal. I was hoping for a cool campaign/story but now I'll expect a short story and then a bunch of repetitive "activities" and missions I can play to grind for loot and level.

Larxia

Nothing to do with that, the biggest problem in my opinion is that the game will be lost forever when the servers close.

Kadayi

Banned
This is news? Given that the game is going to be populated with 3rd party constantly updating web content I'd of thought that was obvious when they had their last reveal at E3.

Last edited:

Deft Beck

Ubisoft wants their own Anthem or Destiny. If it takes puppeting around the corpse of BG&E, then I would have preferred a new IP. There is nothing here that resembles the original.

Ubisoft wants the audience that never played or heard of the original to play this, and then forget about it in a few months. This is the fate of most service games based on existing IPs.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Then they can keep it. Sorry, Ancel, big fan, but always offline or bust.

MayauMiao

So for better experience I need to play with other people?

This game is already dead to me just like Fallout 76.

So why was the developer passionately crying during E3 2017? Just messing.

This isn't positive news at all. Seems like everything else about this game is good besides this, the combat, and suddenly making it a mature game.

Hanon

Banned
No thanks, if I would have known this was going to be a always online game. Then I would be just fine with BG&E being a stand alone game.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I require a story-based game to be playable from the disc without any internet connection.

I skipped Bioware's SW:ToR even though the same excuses were given.

Yet another example of Games as a Service (Gaas) elbowing the single player experience out of the market.

stickkidsam

tenor.gif

Even if you have internet this sucks major dick dong. There is no good reason for a single player game to be online only. That seamless experience bullshit could be accomplished by a simple buttom prompt at the start of the game.

"Do you want to play online or offline?"

That's it. So it's especially lame to then go and chastise the people who can't afford to play online all the time.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Source: Dualshockers

The Beyond Good and Evil 2 Developers were asked if the game would require an internet connection even if they were playing through the game solo. The team stating:

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is an online, multiplayer game with a rich co-op and seamless experience. As such, the game will only be playable with an internet connection in order to have seamless navigation, receive dynamic updates, and play with friends (which is certainly better when you’re playing as a Space Pirate!). The choice to play co-op, however, remains yours to make, so playing BGE2 solo is absolutely possible if you’re into that lone Space Pirate kinda thing…”

I was looking forward to this as a SP game, but is it just me or does this sound similar to what Bethesda originally said about Fallout 76?

MrJTeera

If you told me this 5 years ago, I’d be upset by this news. But now, surrounding by the likes of Destiny 2 or Hitman, I don’t see the point in resisting it anymore.

"Don't you guys have phones?"
You should really consider working for Activision Blizzard, you seem like you would fit right in. :messenger_ok:

Last edited:
Top Bottom