• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good And Evil 2 Still In The Works, According To Michel Ancel

Lime

Such a rollercoaster ride with the development of this game.

The confirmation came in the latest Devs Play video from Double Fine, where Tim Schafer played an hour of the original Beyond Good & Evil alongside the game’s producer, Michel Ancel.

At the end of the video, Schafer directly asked about a sequel and Ancel’s mentality. The question kicks in at 1:07:49, for reference.

“You’re still in the headspace of this game because you’re making a sequel right,” Tim Schafer asked. “You’re thinking about [the Beyond Good & Evil] world still.”

“Yeah, but it’s difficult because it’s hard for me to redo the same game two times. I don’t know how you’re going to manage that for Psychonauts 2,” Ancel replied.

Fans have been waiting a really long time for movement on BGE2. For years it’s been an ongoing tease, and this really just adds to that. But who knows? Maybe this year, finally, we’ll get a firm announcement with unbroken gameplay and something approximating a release date.

Maybe.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/01/be...still-in-the-works-according-to-michel-ancel/

lock if old.

Tuck

So it sounds like he basically had to scrap what he had and start fresh.

Ugh, don't do this to me Ancel.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yeah yeah, show us the receipts. When it's gone gold, I'll believe it.

mp1990

Banned
I looooooove BGY1, and I'd kill for having the sequel in my hands, but I'm afraid of how current design trends would impact it, especially for it being a Ubisoft game. I'll wait and see before letting hype take me.

Almost 8 years since it was announced and Ancel seems very insecure about it's state in this interview-clip, even if he confirms it's still there.

I have a bad, bad feeling about the end result...

Firehead

BMFYJmB.png
*sighs* OK, Ancel. Not gonna raise my hopes though. Too many times with this game...
Hurts worse than any news about Half-Life 3 at this point.

Waaghals

The game has probably been in development hell, with a lot of meddling - constantly on the verge of cancellation.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ancel was getting tired of the whole ordeal.

Zojirushi

Not sure how you could possibly read "still in the works" into that statement.

Sounds like he has no clue at all what to do with it and how to make it happen.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So they already have the design in mind for Jade
maxresdefault.jpg

They also created at least some sort of demo/assets for the game several years ago.
beyond_good__evil_2_screen_2.jpg

Maybe he was constrained and now finally is able to work on the game now that the consoles are out.

Exclusive to NX like Rayman Legends was for Wii U but then we'll get a delay when the games finished to port it to other platforms. Nah I'm not that salty anymore, as long as we get Beyond Good and Evil 2 this generation I'll be happy, I'm grateful for anything we get at all from Michel Ancel.

RK128

When its announced on Kickstarter this E3 on Sony's Stage, people will know its still coming. I'm serious when I say that; Ubisoft does take risks but I would imaging BG&E2 would be a pricey game to produce due to the games open nature and Ancel likely wanting to make it a bigger game compared to the original.

I could see this not be on Kickstarter, replacing AC for the 2017 year (allowing it to be pushed back another year) but otherwise......I will not be surprised if its another Shenmue 3 or Psychonuts 2.

I say this not to talk down the game, but to be realistic. This likely wont sell like hotcakes and Ubisoft doesn't want to lose money, so them pulling that off is almost expected, noticeable so with how successful the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter was.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope so.

I hope so so much.

RK128 said:
When its announced on Kickstarter this E3 on Sony's Stage, people will know its still coming.

Heh, i wouldn't be surprised at this point. But would Ubisoft allow such a game to be Kickstarted? I doubt it somehow..

RK128

I hope so.

I hope so so much.

Heh, i wouldn't be surprised at this point. But would Ubisoft allow such a game to be Kickstarted? I doubt it somehow..

I look at this this way; Ubisoft is the one to jump into new ventures the most compared to other wester publishers. They supported Nintendo's consoles out of the gate with games made around the controller, and did that again with the Kinect (twice) on the 360 & X1. Them jumping on the big-budget Kickstarter (which is what BG&E2 would be) is not only expected but I would be shocked honestly if BG&E2 was otherwise (standard retail game).

Shenmue 3 showed publishers that fans are will to fund big games, so I am interested to see where that goes in the next few years. BG&E2 could easily be one of the first western titles that does what Shenmue 3 did.

injurai

Banned
I'm having a weird feeling that Nintendo and Ubisoft are partnering on this game.

That's a great way to not make money back for all the years this was spent being worked on. It's going to be multiplat, and I don't think Nintendo would publish titles on other consoles. Even Sony publishing the new Kojima game is still console-exclusive.

Top Bottom