• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 in-engine E3 game video

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
i dont know the vivdendi situation that well.

did they reveal this game so early to try to prevent that takeover somehow?

Not a takeover, but more likely a cancellation. Ancel and Yves are very good friends, and I doubt the latter would like that the former's pet project (and likely only reason to stay at Ubi) gets cancelled when Vivendi's takeover ends and they start cutting whatever they consider to be fat.

a great use of space then. lol. sounds utterly pointless, and besides the shallow spectacle of "ooooh, look i can take off and go into space and land on another planet" which will wear thin within about 5 minutes, you could have transitioned to a new city with actual stuff to do in it via loadscreen in half the time.

this just reeks of a poor use of an open world. wild sounds similar. isn't that game the size of mainland europe or something? why? as if there is anything worth doing that justifies that amount of space. "bigger is better" is not true when it comes to open worlds.

ancel seems to have become self-absorbed. he needs a reality check imo.

He quite literally says "Our goal is not to create empty planets"

wildfire

Banned
He quite literally says "Our goal is not to create empty planets"

That's a meaningless statement. Only 2 development teams with large worlds purposefully said they wanted their worlds to be empty to create a sense of scale and vastness.

When anyone says they don't want empty worlds your followup should be:

"Outside of cities what's the ratio of points of interests per square kilometer?"

The density of what they consider not empty won't satisfy a certain percentage of players.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That's a meaningless statement. Only 2 development teams with large worlds purposefully said they wanted their worlds to be empty to create a sense of scale and vastness.

When anyone says they don't want empty worlds your followup should be:

"Outside of cities what's the ratio of points of interests per square kilometer?"

The density of what they consider not empty won't satisfy a certain percentage of players.
Which is why devs don't typically give out arbitrary percentages during interviews or even get asked by game journos as that's a really stupid on the spot question....jeez....people are being incredibly over reactionary for a project that's still early in development. This is a cool look into the development of the game, the scale that's possible with their proprietary engine, and even some aspect of control they have with the game's assets. Something that's rarely seen outside closed doors. Like if you guys saw TW3 this early in development you'd likely be saying the same thing, as the world was made with as much procedural generation as possible as a starting point.

RedSwirl

So it looks like Star Citizen or Space Engine but with an actual singleplayer story and a more focused scope. Looks like they're only doing that one planet/moon system, or at most just one solar system.

The scale isn't actually what has me concerned. That's nothing that hasn't been done before. The only part of that tech that looked "new" was the massive scale terrain deformation from the meteors. One question I do have though is how are they gonna populate those big-ass cities? It's a problem that Elite and Star Citizen haven't really figured out yet. What concerns me is just whether they can get the funding to get it made. I have a feeling that if Ancel had Star Citizen's crowdfunding money he'd be able to get this game done because he probably wouldn't succumb to the same feature creep and obsessive attention to detail.

The problem with No Man's Sky wasn't that it attempted that level of scale, it's that it didn't have much of a game to go with it. It relied almost entirely on the procedural generation to provide content variety whereas other games like Elite use that procedural generation as a tool for other game systems. They, as well as BGNE2, try to simulate how solar systems actually work to create all kinds of different factors and then design an actual game around those factors.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://bgegame.com/system-3-vehicles/

CA_VEH_Bike_retake_001_copy_weboptimized-940x480.png

Top Bottom