• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 in-engine E3 game video

grumble

This is a really ambitious game in terms of scope but my issue is whether there will be engaging, meaningful content or if it'll play like a giant tech demo. It's hard to fill up that much space with great stuff to do, even if part of it is procedural and emergent (which can also flop).

Exis

I tend to love anything Ancel does so totally down to follow this into hell.

Is the version of BG&E on steam the same one as on U play? I had it on Uplay and it was an awful mess trying to play on my PC.

Famassu

Good for people who are excited but this simply isn't the Beyond Good & Evil 2 I wanted and as such I can't but feel disappointed. I'll never understand why they couldn't at the very least create this same thing that would take place after the first game. They could still have made it so that you play a new character and just bring in & re-introduce Jade & the gang as important characters in some kind of resistance group in a manner that could still continue her story from the first game while tying into whatever the new character has become a part of. Still disappointing vs. getting a sequel with Jade as the protagonist, but something I could deal with.

Not that I'd still be enthralled with this direction the game is taking, but at least a story continuation hook would reel me in. A supermassive space/planet exploration prequel game as BG&E2 is just... bleh.

That said, I'm hoping Ancel can prove me wrong. At this moment I just feel crushing disappointment but I hope I'll be confirmed wrong in 2028 when this game finally releases, assuming Vivendi doesn't cancel this by the end of 2017.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I think Ancel just outdid Tetsuya Takahashi's exploration goal by a megaton. I'm sure if Monolith Soft had anywhere near the budget they would have made this after Xenoblade X instead of Xenoblade 2.

Day zero my ass.

Nevertheless, this really could be something special. A No Man's Sky without all the random generated worlds nonsense is the thing of dreams and it's only sweeter with this art style. It still sucks that this is a prequel but at least I can try to create Jade and pretend really hard.

Hesh

This looks incredibly ambitious if that's just one planet of a proposed very many to make up the planet-hopping space pirate gameplay they were talking about at E3. That's also a hell of a lot of artwork put into a vignette this early in production. I wonder if this will even release on the current generation of console hardware. That's an X1 controller Ancel is holding, and devkits support USB keyboards, but I'm guessing this is being played off a PC and that development is being done at this time with PC being the lead SKU, possibly until they get devkits for Sony & Microsoft's next generation hardware when they'll shift in focus towards a console lead SKU as they reach alpha. I would also bet on "Beyond Good & Evil 2" being a working title and that they absolutely will drop the "2" from the title. This appears so wildly different from the first game that it is essentially a soft reboot of the franchise, and from a marketing perspective I wonder how much clout the "Beyond Good & Evil" title holds in today's marketplace. It will be interesting to see if this gets a wholesale renamed title, if it will simply be called "Beyond Good & Evil", or if they will go with a subtitle to follow the BG&E title that will be heavily used for its market identification.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
okp66FD.gif

Famassu

Day zero my ass.

Nevertheless, this really could be something special. A No Man's Sky without all the random generated worlds nonsense is the thing of dreams and it's only sweeter with this art style. It still sucks that this is a prequel but at least I can try to create Jade and pretend really hard.
I imagine it's close to day zero in terms of actual content. They have this tech done so obviously it's not day zero of the production as a whole, but just having a planet with a statue and cityscape and a flyable space ship doesn't make much of a game. Now they need to actually design & populate the planet(s) with all the content that they will have. Like if this was a movie, day 1 of back to back filming of a huge LOTR like trilogy was recently, after long years of preparation.

I have to wonder what the point of calling it Beyond Good & Evil is. Much as I love it, the game bombed the first time around, and considering this game seems to almost be a new IP that shares nothing but humanoid animals I'd think the BG&E name could only hold it back.

VanWinkle

Game looks super ambitious and I respect that. But man, WHY do you have to call it BG&E 2? It's not a BG&E game...unless you think in such broad terms that you could conceivably consider "No Man's Sky" Battlefront 3 or something.

This game SHOULD exist, but it shouldn't be called BG&E 2. It's just kind of frankly offensive to BG&E fans, and the IP is so niche that it's doing whatever this game is a disservice.

Mifune

Mehmber
What a great video.

I loved BG&E, not for its gameplay, but its world, characters, and story. So I'm okay with things going in a different direction. I'm just happy to see Ancel working on a new big-budget game, one that he is clearly passionate about. The "day zero" stuff gave me a little pause but I'm optimistic about this project. A new BG&E is actually in production - can't believe I just typed that.

Mifune

Mehmber
It's called BG&E 2 because it takes place in the same universe and will undoubtedly have character and story links to the original game. I do think they could have gone with just BG&E though.

VanWinkle

The tech they have here is really impressive (though sense of scale during gameplay needs to be tuned a LOT). Games with this scale, though...I just get worried. One, because it is so ambitious that it could end up taking forever to come out. And two, because there's no actual way to fulfill the promise that a game with this scale could bring. You can't actually feasibly fill planets up with tons of interesting locations and things to do that would warrant such a big environment. It will be interesting to see how it pans out through development.

Dude.

Stop.

Freaking people acting like playing BGaE is a persecuted religion.

Not at all. It's just a game that's loved by a relatively small amount of people who have wanted (and have been teased with) a sequel for a long time. So for it to finally be announced and turn out to be a game that at least right now seems like it couldn't be any further from a BG&E game is kind of frustrating. And, honestly, it takes away excitement that I would probably otherwise have about this game.

Mifune

Mehmber
So for it to finally be announced and turn out to be a game that at least right now seems like it couldn't be any further from a BG&E game is kind of frustrating.

This is absolutely ridiculous hyperbole. It's a third-person action/adventure game set in the same freakin universe.

wildfire

Banned
It's called BG&E 2 because it takes place in the same universe and will undoubtedly have character and story links to the original game. I do think they could have gone with just BG&E though.

BG&E Legends or BG&E Legacy would've been fitting.

Famassu

This is absolutely ridiculous hyperbole. It's a third-person action/adventure game set in the same freakin universe.
The first BG&E felt very intimate. Just because this is an action adventure game doesn't mean it will tick the same boxes the first game did for people who loved the first game. "Action adventure" is a pretty broad freakin' definition.

Like, compare FarCry 2 & 4. Essentially the same gameplay in many regards (open world FPS you traverse by foot & vehicles, taking on hoardes of enemies and some environmental dangers) but a few game design choices make them wholly different experiences. BG&E2 seems far bigger a departure than that. People are still pining for the return of a more oppressive, desperate survival feel of FarCry 2 vs. the "fun playground" of latter games, so you can't blame fans of BG&E for being vary of what we're seeing so far.

The first BG&E felt very intimate. Just because this is an action adventure game doesn't mean it will tick the same boxes the first game did for people who loved the first game. "Action adventure" is a pretty broad freakin' definition.

Like, compare FarCry 2 & 4. Essentially the same gameplay in many regards (open world FPS you traverse by foot & vehicles, taking on hoardes of enemies and some environmental dangers) but a few game design choices make them wholly different experiences.

Except the Far Cries completely changed creative leads and so on, while BG&E2 is still being made by Ancel. And very few people resent Far Cry retaining the name in spite of its changes, some of just acknowledge that 2 is the best one.

VanWinkle

Except the Far Cries completely changed creative leads and so on, while BG&E2 is still being made by Ancel. And very few people resent Far Cry retaining the name in spite of its changes, some of just acknowledge that 2 is the best one.

Yeah, but 1.) Fans didn't have to wait nearly as long for a sequel, 2.) BG&E 2 is definitely a bigger departure than any Far Cry sequel, and 3.) Far Cry already had a history of changing mechanics, locations,and characters from one game to the next by the fourth game.

Ruff

Looks solid engine wise but I'm still not sold on the idea of the game. Something of this scale will have a TON of compromises typical to the genre that I just don't like to see.

Famassu

I'm sure Ancel has a highish chance of leading this to being a good game
in the alternative not-the-darkest timeline future where Vivendi doesn't cancel this game
. At the moment it just doesn't seem to share a whole lot with the design sensibilities of the first game + there are the perfectly understandable feelings caused by this not being a sequel with Jade heightening those emotions of disappointment. People are understandably cautious because this large scale a game will very likely remove the tight-nit intimate nature of the first game that is a big reason a lot of us loved the game, even if the core gameplay is similar. It's also doubtful they can maintain the tight pacing when space & planet exploration will undoubtedly take huge chunks of game time. This WILL be a different kind of game. Not nececcarily ultimately, objectively worse one, but not the BG&E2 a lot of us have been waiting for or were teased with around 2008-2010 that also looked different but kind of like a natural advancement of the first game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Dude.

Stop.

Freaking people acting like playing BGaE is a persecuted religion.

I don't often jump in with random judgement calls, but... come on, yea, right?

A poorly sold game from over a decade ago and some people think they can define it more than the creator. Now, a highly ambitious game is shown off that used modern and upcoming tech in very different/innovative ways with a huge amount of support that is focused on building a world for multiple games to play in starring the mother of the previous "obscure" games protag, and some people feel personally affronted by it, like they are insulted because their perceived ownership isn't met.

It's interesting to read anyway.

Hey, I don't like something all the time. It's totally cool, it's my money and my taste. Hell, I do this for a living. But c'mon, writing something off years in advance because it isn't your fanfic feels like a disservice to yourself and the creators, no?

Alright, well I don't really care enough about BG&E to get into this with you guys, but I'd say you don't have much respect for Ancel or faith in him if you're writing off the game with this little info because you don't like swearing monkeys or whatever. I'll just add that picking out 'intimate' as your keyword to what made the original so beloved by you and feeling that a cinematic trailer is enough to decide it isn't present in the new game isn't terribly compelling to us intrigued observers.

A poorly sold game from over a decade ago and some people think they can define it more than the creator.

This is what amazes me. I guess that's 'fandom' for ya.

engine looks good so I take my "CGI trailer" comment back

who's gonna bet that the worlds will be devoid of life and cities considering this is a space adventure.

#skeptic

I'm quite impressed by the early footage. The game looks like it is struggling to hold whatever framerate is it running at, but the environments are pretty nice.

It's not a BG&E game...unless you think in such broad terms that you could conceivably consider "No Man's Sky" Battlefront 3 or something.

This game SHOULD exist, but it shouldn't be called BG&E 2. It's just kind of frankly offensive to BG&E fans, and the IP is so niche that it's doing whatever this game is a disservice.
Why do people keep saying this? In the game you control unique characters with lots of personality, drive vehicles, take pictures of interesting things, take the pictures to the city where showing off the pictures start conversations unveiling grand conspiracies...how is that not a BG&E game?

This is a really ambitious game in terms of scope but my issue is whether there will be engaging, meaningful content or if it'll play like a giant tech demo. It's hard to fill up that much space with great stuff to do, even if part of it is procedural and emergent (which can also flop).

Oh god, getting those 'Nam flashbacks.

18 QUINTILLION PLANETS.

This game looks nothing like the first, but holy crap i love this director.

I'm also a huge fan of newer Rayman games, the director has a general passion for videogames, this gonna be good.

VanWinkle

A poorly sold game from over a decade ago and some people think they can define it more than the creator. Now, a highly ambitious game is shown off that used modern and upcoming tech in very different/innovative ways with a huge amount of support that is focused on building a world for multiple games to play in starring the mother of the previous "obscure" games protag, and some people feel personally affronted by it, like they are insulted because their perceived ownership isn't met.

Hey, I don't like something all the time. It's totally cool, it's my money and my taste. Hell, I do this for a living. But c'mon, writing something off years in advance because it isn't your fanfic feels like a disservice to yourself and the creators, no?

I'm not writing the game off. It looks interesting and it's worthy of being made. Seems super ambitious and I want to see more.

I don't think it's fan fiction to expect a sequel to have a similar tone and feel to the game that came before. Look at almost every sequel. I mean, I just wanted a game that's like BG&E. A whimsical PG-level adventure game with Jade and Pey'j.

Right now it feels like it being a sequel to a niche IP from 15 years ago is doing it a disservice, and it certainly doesn't capture the tone, look, or feel of BG&E in its known state, so it's not exactly doing a service to those who loved the first game either.

Maybe as we see more I'll start feeling differently.

Looks like Ancel is trying to not only go back to the original scope of BG&E, he's trying to surpass it this time around with the prequel. I find it amusing that people grumble that "this isn't Beyond Good & Evil", even though this is closer to Ancel's vision of the original game (multiple planets, space flight earlier on, bigger scope, etc).

Though at least photography is back, that's one important thing from the first game.

Famassu

Come the fuck on. It's no "fanfic dreams", that's fucking stupid dismissal of the issues some fans have with this. It was Ancel who did the super hype (and super annoying, in the long run) cliffhanger for the first game. It's them who made stuff that resulted in not one, not two, but THREE fucking teasers/leaks & several promises that Jade's story would continue along the years implying the return & continuation of Jade's story if/when a sequel would be made (the cinematic trailer, the leaked concept vid and some screenshots of some prototype or such).

And creators aren't infallible or beyond criticism. Naughty Dog could do emo Jak all they so freely creatively wanted, but it was arguably a shit decision in some regards. Ancel can create this BG&E2 (though I'm fairly certain there was publisher interference that lead to this not being a direct sequel, considering all the footage & talk about the game prior to this "re-reveal" pointing out at them working on bringing Jade & Pey'j back), we can criticize it for what he is showing & telling.

I'm not insulted. I'm not demanting anything. I'm just disappointed and voicing my opinions. All the technical ambitiousness & prowess doesn't mean much to me if it leads to an experience that seems like something that might be worse off to me in certain aspects or doesn't do what has been promised for 14 years.

And, I mean, the first game exists. I have played through it numerous times. What I like about it can be pretty accurately described. What has been told & shown so far of BG&E2 I just don't see ticking quite the same boxes. Ancel is free to "define" BG&E2 as this, I am free to be sceptical about it since it SEEMS to be quite a big departure from the OG game in a lot of regards.

Alright, well I don't really care enough about BG&E to get into this with you guys, but I'd say you don't have much respect for Ancel or faith in him if you're writing off the game with this little info because you don't like swearing monkeys or whatever. I'll just add that picking out 'intimate' as your keyword to what made the original so beloved by you and feeling that a cinematic trailer is enough to decide it isn't present in the new game isn't terribly compelling to us intrigued observers.

This is what amazes me. I guess that's 'fandom' for ya.
More pathetic that you get so butthurt for us not being amazed by what has been said so far.

And it's not "cursing monkeys" I take issues with (that's one of the things I have abso-fucking-lutely no problems with). I just don't think the things BG&E did well or is loved for scale well to a game of this scale. Or at least there's enough evidence from the past that even smaller chances can "ruin" the feel/pacing/whatever of the previous thing people loved and how a big open world can affect storytelling, let alone the big departure this seems to be. It WAS intimate, that's not just some buzz word I came up with to annoy you or shit on BG&E2 for no reason. You got to know the (relatively small) world of the game and its inhabitants thoroughly. It WAS tightly paced. This having the scale it does means they simply can't achieve that level of pacing.

I'm not outright dismissing this game as crap. If you had read my earlier post you'd even see me saying I'm not writing this game off and am hoping Ancel can prove me wrong. But "epic space exploration, space piracy and meteors morphing planets" aren't really things I'd describe as things essential to or expected from a BG&E sequel. Not that those aren't cool sounding things, I'll probably even like the end product even if all of my fears about bloat, pacing & gameplay differences come true. Just not really something I personally wanted from BG&E2 (basically a bit more cinematic Zelda with the kind of imaginative, unique French style the first game had) and no matter how well made & enjoyable, it won't make the fact disappear that (adult) Jade seemingly won't be a part of this game when her story's continuation has been one of the most anticipated things for a lot of fans.

sjay1994

I mean...

Could you imagine if Halo 3 didn't come out for like 7 or something years, and Master Chief wasn't the protagonist, it would have been ODST.

Or if Half life 3 straight up stared a different character?

Like, I never played the original BGE, but I can understand people feeling tilted about this game not finishing the story.

As for the gameplay, I say put faith in Ancel. He is obviously passionate about this project, and will make something fun in the end.

Elixist

spaceship looks fun and graphics look good, i refuse to get excited for something so far out though. hope they can pull it off.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I think Ancel just outdid Tetsuya Takahashi's exploration goal by a megaton. I'm sure if Monolith Soft had anywhere near the budget they would have made this after Xenoblade X instead of Xenoblade 2.
Takahashi comparisons are apt considering the Nietzsche based titles.

I was impressed by the original CG trailer and ready to dismiss Ancel's vision as overambitious and premature, based on the initial presentation.

But...while those points still ring true to a degree, I found this presentation pretty darn impressive...The tech seems very impressive, the vision is incredibly ambitious, and that is enthralling and worrying, but what is somewhat different here is that it is being made by someone known for putting a lot of character into his games. If this does have a strong SP component and narrative, married with this tech, this could possibly overtake Cyberpunk as my most anticipated game.

Also, I love the aesthetics in this thing...Ancel really knows how to direct art.

Finally, I would prefer to play this on PS5 anyway...This looks beyond current gen...

Kadayi

Banned
I have to wonder what the point of calling it Beyond Good & Evil is. Much as I love it, the game bombed the first time around, and considering this game seems to almost be a new IP that shares nothing but humanoid animals I'd think the BG&E name could only hold it back.

My view entirely. The tech is very impressive for sure, but this doesn't feel like it's a BG&E sequel, more a Fifth Element/Tank Girl/Gorillaz/NMS mashup, which is not necessarily a bad thing but feels pretty tangential when it comes to the gameplay and tone compared to the original. Honestly, I think they're better off calling it something else rather than trying to pass it off as a sequel.

Mifune

Mehmber
I mean...

Could you imagine if Halo 3 didn't come out for like 7 or something years, and Master Chief wasn't the protagonist, it would have been ODST.

Or if Half life 3 straight up stared a different character?

Like, I never played the original BGE, but I can understand people feeling tilted about this game not finishing the story.

As for the gameplay, I say put faith in Ancel. He is obviously passionate about this project, and will make something fun in the end.

Not finishing the story? Okay, sure. I get that. But the first game was a bomb. I bought it brand-new for under 20 bucks mere months after release. Unless an actual sequel came out within a normal time frame it wasn't happening. Once many years passed the only way it was coming back was as a reimagining. Not at all like mega blockbusters such as Halo or Half-Life.

Top Bottom