• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 in-engine E3 game video

Dunno why the focus was on scale. When scale's the focus, that's almost never a good thing. Gameplay matters. Not flying around spending a ton of time getting from point A to point B.

Pretty pointless demo.

Edit: Albeit I didn't play the first game, so for all I know it's a space sim, in which case this demo made sense. I thought it was just another action/platformer though, in which case, this demo is bad.

Big One

Banned
I mean it's great they have an engine that allows for so much scope, but how in the hell are they going to design that much content? Will it be based on RNG ala No Man's Sky? How in the hell is that going to work with the Beyond Good & Evil franchise?

Zukkoyaki

So this basically no Mans Sky with a proper budget, tech and team behind it?
Impressive if they'll pull it off, but i guess it will take many years to.

That's my takeaway. It has all the potential in the world but it could fall short in so many ways. I look forward to following this game's development.

synce

All this talk about spaceships and scale, custom characters... is this really BGE? I guess it's cool if you're into this sort of thing but I see no relation, I'll pass

It looks so good. But I have a feeling this game will either never come out or the wait will be super long. I'm scared to get too excited :/

Pygrus

Dunno why the focus was on scale. When scale's the focus, that's almost never a good thing. Gameplay matters. Not flying around spending a ton of time getting from point A to point B.

Pretty pointless demo.

A lot of the first game revolved around exploration (on a much smaller scale), which would be why they are focusing on getting that right first.

All this talk about spaceships and scale, custom characters... is this really BGE? I guess it's cool if you're into this sort of thing but I see no relation, I'll pass
Sounds like they would have been better off calling it Beyond Good & Evil, but throwing some subtitle at the end indicating it's not a direct sequel.

Or just give it a new name altogether, and don't make it seem like you're riding the coattails of the previous game while making it a completely different genre.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This looks like a great engine they have built here. Quite impressive and a good basis for what follows. Hopefully he will get the proper budget and time to achieve what he wants.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Looks really ambitious and I think it's going to end up just like Andromeda but who knows...Ubisoft is crazy sometimes.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This is gonna take a while until we ever see it again. :/

Jakoo

Wow, getting serious Skies of Arcadia vibes from the look of the airships/exploration.

Almost feels like we are getting two unexpected sequels now!

Nonentity

For real. So is this gonna be like the Destiny/Anthem GaaS?

This is my question as well. Everything they said in the press conference made me think Ubisoft Presents: BG&E2: Destiny edition.

I'll be the first to admit I have no connection to the original BG&E, but this demo looked great.

Now I finally understand the reason behind Ancel saying for all these years that the technology just wasn't there for his idea of BG&E2.

EDarkness

Watched the video and I don't think this game is gonna be anywhere close to complete for another couple of years. No problem, though, I just hope they get it right. I just wish it was an actual sequel instead of a multiplayer space game like Star Citizen.

NotLiquid

I trust Ancel. He mentions he doesn't just want an empty world with nothing to do but actually wants something in those huge planets to do.

This could very well be the "Space Pirate" game I've been wanting forever.

FelipeMGM

well, now I really just cant see this beeing Switch exclusive

This might even be the first next gen game we are seeing, this sounds super ambitious and far off

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Andromeda's not even ambitious though.
Andromeda has several fully realized planets of it's own, which are very explorable. That alone is a massive task. Especially on an FPS engine that had to be modified heavily to accommodate, (for the most part), the systems of an RPG.

ngower

Seeing this after years of waiting and preaching the gospel of the original game...

giphy.gif

Bloody hell, this engine is damn amazing. Seems to work smoothly too. Also, watching this demo, I'd be fine with just playing that swearing monkey on just that one planet if its all that seamless.

Seriously, the scope of this BGE is insane.

Demo looks cool.

This game is so getting banned in India. Or it won't even launch. I hope it flows under the radar. If the stupid political parties get a whiff of Indian Gods/deities being used in a video game, it can cause unnecessary banning.

Robot Pants

The scale of this is pretty impressive. Basically what No Man's Sky tried to be.
I'll be amazed if they can truly pull this off.

Peltz

Looks okay. I'm not interested yet to be honest and am kind of disappointed in what they chose to show.

But it's early and I have an open mind. The scope looks too unrealistic from a development perspective.

Falchion

I'm just surprised they have something to show so soon. I guess they really do want to treat this game like early access.

Snaku

Banned
So Ancel really really really wished he had made No Man's Sky. You can play BGE music in the background all you want, that doesn't make this BGE.

Sweet jesus at that scale. At least we know riding the ships will be fun.

I want to see the handcrafted content, the authored stuff than just the No Man's Sky/Star Citizen stuff. But I guess the more procedural stuff is easier to develop first.

dreamfall

When he flew out into the galaxy, it was pretty jaw dropping! I expected him to fly down to the city but he went the opposite way!

Pretty pointless demo.

Edit: Albeit I didn't play the first game, so for all I know it's a space sim, in which case this demo made sense. I thought it was just another action/platformer though, in which case, this demo is bad.

Scale is easy to show off early in development. But he does talk about making interactivity within the planets very important, so hopefully they execute on that (if this game actually ever comes out).

Top Bottom