• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond the Labyrinth (3DS, Tri-Ace, Konami) Screens [Trailer]

FoxSpirit

UncleSporky said:
Heh, just as predicted:

9Zddl.jpg

EZ0rC.png

Yeah, they totally detroyed the lighting. The old one had a warm, smooth tone, the new one a blueish, cold one.

WHY?

Looks good, the jaggies are less noticeable when viewed in 3D (but they are still noticeable). Mind you though, I bet you that they'll look less noticeable when the game is actually in motion.

Durante said:
It has nothing to do with slow (though it is quite slow by modern mobile standards). It simply doesn't support MSAA (the only form of AA usable for a full game on a device like this).

If you're going by those leaked specs, then do know that the CPU speed and type was never confirmed. In fact the specs have been proven to be wrong, at least partially. The 3DS has double the amount of RAM in the final system.

Also, if it doesn't support MSAA, then how do RE: Mercenaries/Revelations, Street Fighter 4 3D and OoT 3D support AA in 2D? (Actually, Pokedex 3D has AA running even when in 3D mode!)

Speaking of which...

Kerrby said:
I thought the 3DS was meant to be more powerful than the PSP or even Gamecube. I've seen nothing that suggests that.

I would suggest looking at Resident Evil Mercenaries or Revelations then. Looks better than RE4 GCN, which is amazing when you consider the following...

1: RE4 had about 4 years of dev time, RE Mercenaries was a rush job made in about a year at most

2: RE4 was made by Capcom production studio 4 (the best team Capcom ever had), while Mercenaries was outsourced to TOSE.

3: RE Mercenaries manages to look better even when having to deal with running in 3D (effectively doubling what has to be rendered onscreen), while rendering more enemies on screen than what ever appeared in RE4's Mercenaries mode (with more enemy types at once too!)

Oh and just as an aside, almost no games on the GCN or PS2 had any anti aliasing at all (also, RE4 had to cheat and run in sub SD resolution too)

weeaboo

BooJoh said:
Then how are you proposing they preview this stuff in 3D to people who don't own a 3DS? As much as 2D images might seem to hurt some impressions, it's just not practical to eliminate them from previews.

Anyway, for those who are interested, all 11 3D screens are up on http://www.3ds-screenshot.com/ (under Labyrinth no Kanata)

Thanks! game looks awesome on the 3DS. Can't wait for a 3D trailer.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
FoxSpirit said:
Yeah, they totally detroyed the lighting. The old one had a warm, smooth tone, the new one a blueish, cold one.

WHY?
Maybe I'm weird, but I think the colder blue tone better fits the fact that you are trapped in a labyrinth.

FoxSpirit

Easy_D said:
Maybe I'm weird, but I think the colder blue tone better fits the fact that you are trapped in a labyrinth.

But outside of fluorscent light the is no light source that gives off light like that :-\

Blue light always looks very artificial to me. Plus with the mediocre power they have at hand, it now looks kinda sterile.

Luigiv

Nuclear Muffin said:
3: RE Mercenaries manages to look better even when having to deal with running in 3D (effectively doubling what has to be rendered onscreen), while rendering more enemies on screen than what ever appeared in RE4's Mercenaries mode (with more enemy types at once too!)
The Mercenaries 3D allows you to amass more then 20 enemies on screen? Because that's how much you could get in RE4.

Luigiv said:
The Mercenaries 3D allows you to amass more then 20 enemies on screen? Because that's how much you could get in RE4.
"On screen" being essentially the same thing as "loaded in memory, walking around the level somewhere," since herding to get them all on screen is possible...yeah, it can do that.

As in both games though, more commonly you'll see 6 or so.

Luigiv said:

I haven't counted, but I've been in situations where there were at least that many in the area

UncleSporky said:
"On screen" being essentially the same thing as "loaded in memory, walking around the level somewhere," since herding to get them all on screen is possible...yeah, it can do that.

Beat me to it. I generally see more enemies in Mercenaries then I ever saw in RE4 GCN (Yes I know that the PS2 version had less enemies)

Plus in RE4, you only ever had about 3 or 4 enemy types at the most. Mercenaries mixes enemy types from different games/areas and you've often got 6-8 different types of enemies at once (which is much more demanding in terms of RAM. Considering that the 3DS has around 3 times as much RAM as the GCN though, I wouldn't imagine that this would've been very hard to do though)

Luigiv

UncleSporky said:

That's not the definition of on screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxlfCrMvEc4

Not from mercenaries mode but serves the point non-the-less.

Nuclear Muffin said:
I would suggest looking at Resident Evil Mercenaries or Revelations then. Looks better than RE4 GCN, which is amazing when you consider the following...

1: RE4 had about 4 years of dev time, RE Mercenaries was a rush job made in about a year at most

2: RE4 was made by Capcom production studio 4 (the best team Capcom ever had), while Mercenaries was outsourced to TOSE.

Oh and just as an aside, almost no games on the GCN or PS2 had any anti aliasing at all (also, RE4 had to cheat and run in sub SD resolution too)

Mercenaries never even looks comparable to RE4. Not even close. Enemy count is not even a quarter of what was possible on the Gamecube and effects, lightning and geometry are well below RE4 even on the PS2 version.

Mercenaries is able to save a lot of its looks by using more advanced shaders, but that's about it. Animations, sound, everything is a clear downgrade from RE4.

Now Revelations on the other hand looks very comparable to RE4, almost a mix between RE5 and 4. This is in part also due to the smaller levels and fewer enemies, but nonetheless it looks comparable.

Also the compression in the 3D screens is horrible. It's worse than the lowest jpg compression available, with crushed colours and blocks everywhere. But overall the 3D effect is quite good in the screens otherwise.

boris feinbrand said:
Mercenaries never even looks comparable to RE4. Not even close. Enemy count is not even a quarter of what was possible on the Gamecube and effects, lightning and geometry are well below RE4 even on the PS2 version.

Mercenaries is able to save a lot of its looks by using more advanced shaders, but that's about it. Animations, sound, everything is a clear downgrade from RE4.

Now Revelations on the other hand looks very comparable to RE4, almost a mix between RE5 and 4. This is in part also due to the smaller levels and fewer enemies, but nonetheless it looks comparable.

Also the compression in the 3D screens is horrible. It's worse than the lowest jpg compression available, with crushed colours and blocks everywhere. But overall the 3D effect is quite good in the screens otherwise.

PdotMichael said:
please, don't lie

Have you two actually played the game? (here's a hint, I own both), yes it does have that many enemies (the early videos were from the first couple of missions, where there are less enemies). The enemy count is actually closer to RE5 than RE4, especially in the EX missions.

Sound quality has been downgraded from RE4 GCN, but the lighting, animation and geometry has not been downgraded at all (in fact the animations for the RE4 characters were taken directly from the original game - unless you're talking about that issue with characters in the distance here, in which case I've misunderstood you here). Also, RE Mercenaries (in addition to the added shader effects) has actual shadows for every onscreen character! (RE4 GCN had no shadows at all outside of cutscenes).

The only things that are really missing in comparison to RE4 are the fog effects, the destructible doors and the missing water in the village (though I bet that those were partially down to the rushed development cycle, even the PS2 version had those effects). The blood effects have also been toned down, but that may be down to the game's censorship (just like RE5, it doesn't have decapitations for your characters)

PdotMichael said:
In the EX Missions, i saw at most 8 enemies on screen.

Bollocks, EX 9 (the second wave mission. Wave missions tell you how many enemies are part of each wave) has 15 characters running around at once. Other EX missions may have even more.

Plus in multiplayer, there is the additional playable character as well onscreen...

Nuclear Muffin said:
Have you two actually played the game? (here's a hint, I own both), yes it does have that many enemies (the early videos were from the first couple of missions, where there are less enemies). The enemy count is actually closer to RE5 than RE4, especially in the EX missions.

Sound quality has been downgraded from RE4 GCN, but the lighting, animation and geometry has not been downgraded at all (in fact the animations for the RE4 characters were taken directly from the original game - unless you're talking about that issue with characters in the distance here, in which case I've misunderstood you here). Also, RE Mercenaries (in addition to the added shader effects) has actual shadows for every onscreen character! (RE4 GCN had no shadows at all outside of cutscenes).

The only things that are really missing in comparison to RE4 are the fog effects, the destructible doors and the missing water in the village (though I bet that those were partially down to the rushed development cycle, even the PS2 version had those effects). The blood effects have also been toned down, but that may be down to the game's censorship (just like RE5, it doesn't have decapitations for your characters)

I own RE4 in 3 different versions, I own Mercenaries and no, the most enemies on screen at any given time is never higher than 8. And yes I counted. And yes my eyes are working perfectly well.

Not only is Mercenaries in every way inferior to RE4 when it comes to polygon count, enemies on screen count, framerate, animations (especially for enemies farther away), real time lightning, sound and environmental detail, foliage and enemy detail (even the ghastly looking PS2 version) but it also has a smaller colour range (looks to be way under 24 bit judging by the night scenes) than RE4.

There is really nothing to discuss here. RE Mercenaries is factually inferior in all those aspects to even the worst RE4 rendition. This is in large parts like you said down to the rushed development and looking at Revelations I am almost certain that with a proper budget and dev time Mercenaries could've looked a lot better.

It's saving grace is the tastefull application of shaders that enrich the Image displayed on screen, but comparing it with RE4 is still a massive stretch.

Now Revelations on the other hand is coming very close and in some regards even looks better than RE4. The things a proper budget and talent will achieve.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Bollocks, EX 9 (the second wave mission. Wave missions tell you how many enemies are part of each wave) has 15 characters running around at once. Other EX missions may have even more.

Plus in multiplayer, there is the additional playable character as well onscreen...

No they don't, every enemy above the initial 8 spawns in when one is taken down. Knowing that will help you chain longer combos together as it is not desirable to kill too many enemies at once and then having to wait for the following group to spawn, breaking the combo.
The spawning mid wave is especially noticeable in the Cargo ship map, where you can see them spawning inside the crates jumping out.

Btw, I enjoy Mercenaries 3D. It's a fun game despite the many flaws, and I really hope it gets a proper sequel with a full blown budget and a bigger more ambitious scope.

To me, the new screens look almost identical to the old ones; re-sizing.. Well, they're the same. On 3DS they probably look much better. Waiting for a video!

PS: remember that also Frontier Gate on PSP by TriAce does not look so good in terms of textures and AA; it may be because it's the first time of TriAce on handhelds (VP on DS was in 2D).

I own RE4 in 3 different versions, I own Mercenaries and no, the most enemies on screen at any given time is never higher than 8. And yes I counted. And yes my eyes are working perfectly well.

Not only is Mercenaries in every way inferior to RE4 when it comes to polygon count, enemies on screen count, framerate, animations (especially for enemies farther away), real time lightning, sound and environmental detail, foliage and enemy detail (even the ghastly looking PS2 version) but it also has a smaller colour range (looks to be way under 24 bit judging by the night scenes) than RE4.

RE4 GCN ran in 16 bit colour and suffered from the same issue. As for the environmental detail, what is missing from the RE4 maps in Mercenaries? (Aside from that one house that is blocked off in the village map) I honestly can't see any difference with the environments themselves (outside of some upgraded textures in Mercenaries), the lighting seems to look the same and is positioned in the same places. I've compared the two side by side while playing (just out of curiosity) and I couldn't see anything missing, please tell me (no really, I have no idea. I'm interested in finding out!)

No they don't, every enemy above the initial 8 spawns in when one is taken down. Knowing that will help you chain longer combos together as it is not desirable to kill too many enemies at once and then having to wait for the following group to spawn, breaking the combo.
The spawning mid wave is especially noticeable in the Cargo ship map, where you can see them spawning inside the crates jumping out.

I'll trust you on that one, I haven't noticed that myself.

BooJoh said:
Then how are you proposing they preview this stuff in 3D to people who don't own a 3DS? As much as 2D images might seem to hurt some impressions, it's just not practical to eliminate them from previews.

Anyway, for those who are interested, all 11 3D screens are up on http://www.3ds-screenshot.com/ (under Labyrinth no Kanata)

Holy mother of god, never new you could watch mpo screens directly with the 3DS browser. This is excellent.

And yeah, Laberynth looks gorgous in 3D in the 3ds screen.

Nuclear Muffin said:
RE4 GCN ran in 16 bit colour and suffered from the same issue. As for the environmental detail, what is missing from the RE4 maps in Mercenaries? (Aside from that one house that is blocked off in the village map) I honestly can't see any difference with the environments themselves (outside of some upgraded textures in Mercenaries), the lighting seems to look the same and is positioned in the same places. I've compared the two side by side while playing (just out of curiosity) and I couldn't see anything missing, please tell me (no really, I have no idea. I'm interested in finding out!)

I'll trust you on that one, I haven't noticed that myself.

The 24 bit was an approximation, it is clearly not on par with the colour range of RE4. The crushed blacks and broken shaders on characters with dark one coloured outfits (claire office outfit at night and Jill tanktop outfit at night) are extremely jarring.

Look I'm not here to fight, and beside this thread is about Beyond the Labyrinth.

Back on topic:

I really appreciate the art Style for this game. I hope we get to see higher quality 3D pics in the future that don't have this terrible compression to them.

Has anything been released about how this game actually plays? As in: Will there be combat, puzzles, structure?

boris feinbrand said:
The 24 bit was an approximation, it is clearly not on par with the colour range of RE4. The crushed blacks and broken shaders on characters with dark one coloured outfits (claire office outfit at night and Jill tanktop outfit at night) are extremely jarring.

Look I'm not here to fight, and beside this thread is about Beyond the Labyrinth.

Back on topic:

I really appreciate the art Style for this game. I hope we get to see higher quality 3D pics in the future that don't have this terrible compression to them.

Has anything been released about how this game actually plays? As in: Will there be combat, puzzles, structure?

I'm not looking for a fight either, I honestly didn't notice any difference in the environments at all so I was just curious if you noticed something I didn't! Maybe I'm just going blind? (but yeah, fair enough I'm kinda going off topic here)

dallow_bg said:
You're getting old Nuclear Muffin...
The important thing though is that you enjoy the game at least.

(Stares at his avatar...)

I wish people wouldn't say "on screen" when talking about the number of enemies. It misses the point.

If you count and only see 8 enemies in front of you, then turn around and see 4 more, that's actually 12 enemies that are "on screen" as far as the engine is concerned. As I said, any number of enemies that are currently loaded and running around have to be displayable at the same time. The engine's not going to go "oh shit, he's turning around and going to be able to see more than I can display, quick, despawn a few guys." The RE engine doesn't work like that.

I'm not saying anyone has been wrong about the numbers, if 8 is the max then that's it. But saying "on screen" gives the wrong impression. It's the number in memory that matters.

GJS

I checked out the MPO screenshots via the browser and I have to say I still think it looks amazing, the use of 3D in the shots looks brilliant as well.

GJS said:
I checked out the MPO screenshots via the browser and I have to say I still think it looks amazing, the use of 3D in the shots looks brilliant as well.

Absolutely, the 3D effect is rather neat, but the compression really hurts the images badly.

Jigsaw

Banned
UncleSporky said:
I wish people wouldn't say "on screen" when talking about the number of enemies. It misses the point.

If you count and only see 8 enemies in front of you, then turn around and see 4 more, that's actually 12 enemies that are "on screen" as far as the engine is concerned. As I said, any number of enemies that are currently loaded and running around have to be displayable at the same time. The engine's not going to go "oh shit, he's turning around and going to be able to see more than I can display, quick, despawn a few guys."

but that's exactly how it works,if enemies are not on screen their level of detail will be decreased,either in texture quality,polycount of shaders

Truth101

Banned
duckroll said:
Why the hell are you people derailing this thread with garbage about RE?

I think it went like this.

-LOL 3DS same as PSP
-Look at Mercs on 3DS vs Gamecube
-3DS Mercs has low enemy count
-Back and Forth
-Back and Forth

Too bad my internet at home is down, I guess I'll ahve to wait a bit before I can see these on my 3DS =C

M3d10n

This game seems to be using lots of unfiltered textures (mip-mapped unfiltered textures), which is very strange: there should be no performance gains on any GPU for that, it it really makes things more aliased/shimmery. I hope they change that on the final build, or that the 3DS GPU does a good job with point-samping precision and avoid motion shimmering like the PowerVRs do.

And on the PSP versus 3DS talk... did Capcom go back in time and cancel SSFIV3D while I was sleeping? If there's one 3DS game that trounces PSP graphics, it's that one.

FreeMufasa said:
huh? The game looks that good. But that doesn't look to good though.

These, however, were straight up bullshots.

uh the picture in my comparison was a bullshot. but thanks for providing more i guess.

moving on i hope some gameplay footage for labyrinth gets out soon.

Durante

Myansie said:
That's what I'm getting at. The 3DS has oodles of ram relative to its power. It seems to be computationally slower than the Wii, yet it has half as much ram again on top of its console sibling. Normally extra ram helps boost AA, but of course we're not seeing that. So what's the ram being used for? Are 3DS games going to have a massive jump in graphics prowess as the handheld gets older?
Your understanding of rendering is flawed. AA requires not just more memory, but also significantly more memory bandwidth and (z-)fillrate, which often end up being the limiting factor.

Nuclear Muffin said:
If you're going by those leaked specs, then do know that the CPU speed and type was never confirmed. In fact the specs have been proven to be wrong, at least partially. The 3DS has double the amount of RAM in the final system.

Also, if it doesn't support MSAA, then how do RE: Mercenaries/Revelations, Street Fighter 4 3D and OoT 3D support AA in 2D? (Actually, Pokedex 3D has AA running even when in 3D mode!)
I'm going by the specifications of the confirmed GPU. The 2D AA uses the fact that the games are already designed to be rendered twice to implement SSAA. Graphically simple stuff like Pokedex can do that even for 3D, just like there was a very small handful of games that had AA on PS2.

Celine

Decarb said:
Screens look really good in 3D, but I wish there was some way to reduce 3D effect with slider while viewing images/videos, its just too strong for me.
I guess if you can distance more the 3DS from your eyes that would help.
Don't quote me on that though.

EDIT:
Just seen them. Looks good.

M3d10n said:
And on the PSP versus 3DS talk... did Capcom go back in time and cancel SSFIV3D while I was sleeping? If there's one 3DS game that trounces PSP graphics, it's that one.
Yeah SSFIV3DE looks great on 3DS.

These are the first 3D pictures i've ever downloaded to the 3DS, and although i don't know if i will get this game, the 3D effect looks fucking amazing. Are there other games that take advantage of the 3DS for their pics?

Top Bottom