• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond the Labyrinth (3DS, Tri-Ace, Konami) Screens [Trailer]

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
GeekyDad said:
Relieved the game's still in development. The future of promising 3DS games seems to dangle by a thread.
It really does seem that way. Shame, because I really like the platform.

Amir0x

Banned
Damn those latest screens look a lot worse. Sigh, always too good to be true.

Still hyped. Love me some dungeon RPGs.

GeekyDad

BDGAME said:
Why you say that?

Why do I say the future of promising 3DS titles dangles by a thread? Because the system has been in an uphill battle for sales, causing publishers to panic and pull the plug on titles or push projects back in a "wait and see" approach. When companies get a whiff of a dip, they tend to pull their funding, and that sort of thing usually dominoes. Granted, Nintendo's swift response in slashing the price drastically is a decisive measure to help stop that from happening, but the jury's still out.

BDGAME

GeekyDad said:
Why do I say the future of promising 3DS titles dangles by a thread? Because the system has been in an uphill battle for sales, causing publishers to panic and pull the plug on titles or push projects back in a "wait and see" approach. When companies get a whiff of a dip, they tend to pull their funding, and that sort of thing usually dominoes. Granted, Nintendo's swift response in slashing the price drastically is a decisive measure to help stop that from happening, but the jury's still out.

This Gloon and Doon talking is over for now. And a lot of games were been announced in the last days. So your post is past, at least for now.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Amir0x said:
Damn those latest screens look a lot worse. Sigh, always too good to be true.

Still hyped. Love me some dungeon RPGs.

Aside from the jaggies, it doesn't look that much worse. It's still one of the best looking game of the system.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Nuclear Muffin said:
His work on Golden Sun Dark Dawn was fantastic though. Truly a return to form.
Hahaha, thanks for the laugh.

Dark Dawn easily has one of the worst soundtracks that man has ever worked on.

Morokh

Not as good as the first screens but definitely looks interesting in motion , more promising as the last screens at least xD

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
dragonlife said:
Oh, I know you ain't dissin' Sakuraba, boy.
He's been rather disappointing this generation. Hopefully he'll bring his A-game for the next game from Takayuki Suguro, though honestly I'd like to know more about the gameplay than anything else right now.

Serenade said:
Hahaha, thanks for the laugh.

Dark Dawn easily has one of the worst soundtracks that man has ever worked on.

Buh?! I fail to see how. It's easily the best soundtrack he's worked on since Baten Kaitos/Baten Kaitos Origins.

jj984jj

Nuclear Muffin said:
Buh?! I fail to see how. It's easily the best soundtrack he's worked on since Baten Kaitos/Baten Kaitos Origins.
Not really, it wasn't anything special in comparison to his best (including the first Golden Sun).

jj984jj said:
Not really, it wasn't anything special in comparison to his best (including the first Golden Sun).

Carver's Camp? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcDqEg50vwY

The main boss battle theme? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bYbd2F7gzw&feature=related

Snowdrift Shrine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpUferxMz_4&feature=related

Ayuthay? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZafUyCl1VY&feature=related

None of these stand out to you? Sure, there are a few stinkers in there (The Tuperang theme in particular is a big disappointment), but the majority of it is great and certainly at least up there with the original 2 GBA games (even if it doesn't quite reach their heights)

I don't see how you can say that the GSDD OST isn't a massive improvement over everything he's done since Baten Kaitos Origins (which I would consider to be largely crap - mostly because he's become overly derivative of himself and overworked)

jj984jj

Nuclear Muffin said:
None of these stand out to you? Sure, there are a few stinkers in there (The Tuperang theme in particular is a big disappointment), but the majority of it is great and certainly at least up there with the original 2 GBA games (even if it doesn't quite reach their heights)

I don't see how you can say that the GSDD OST isn't a massive improvement over everything he's done since Baten Kaitos Origins (which I would consider to be largely crap - mostly because he's become overly derivative of himself and overworked)
I don't think so. You could've told me that the Carver's Camp theme was from a Tales game and I'd easily believe you, it even sounds familiar.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Nuclear Muffin said:
Carver's Camp? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcDqEg50vwY

The main boss battle theme? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bYbd2F7gzw&feature=related

Snowdrift Shrine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpUferxMz_4&feature=related

Ayuthay? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZafUyCl1VY&feature=related

He phones it in now. There's little that stands out in Dark Dawn's already small soundtrack.

dragonlife said:
Oh, I know you ain't dissin' Sakuraba, boy.

I'm sorry, but the dude needs a break. How many soundtracks has he cranked out over the past couple of years? IMO, his music is the very definition of mediocrity right now. :(

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
So like I was saying before i accidently made a thread,

when i envision sakuraba making music, i envision him in a studio full of racks. each rack is labeled accordingly: "tension music," "battle music," "battle music 2," "icey place music", "song with guitar" etc.

when camelot, tales studio or whoever need music, he just dips his hand in one of those racks, picks out a song and ships it out. and then he goes back to his swivel chair to read emails.

seriously, the guy should just make music for tv shows where they only play like two songs an episode for a whole season. maybe a sitcom on fox or something

Ryuuga

Banned
2132456053_full.jpg

"Anti-aliasing? Nope, not over here either."

Datschge

Not sure why after the announcement of the composer Sakuraba non-fans need to derail the thread when previously everyone mentioning the music piece previously on the website stated liking or even loving it and nobody really made the connection to him at that time.

Reposting the concentrated gameplay sections of the trailer from the other thread (as MP4) to get back on topic:
labynofh.gif

watershed

Banned
So to continue the speculation if you don't really control her and instead you play as some floating robot/head/magic thing then wouldn't this game be a lot like Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey? Basically a first person dungeon crawler but instead of having lots of monsters to command you have one teen girl?

Instro

jeremy1456 said:
No, it doesn't.

People really think this?
There's been enough posts claiming that tons of 3DS games have been canceled that people are starting to believe it apparently.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Serenade said:
So like I was saying before i accidently made a thread,

when i envision sakuraba making music, i envision him in a studio full of racks. each rack is labeled accordingly: "tension music," "battle music," "battle music 2," "icey place music", "song with guitar" etc.

when camelot, tales studio or whoever need music, he just dips his hand in one of those racks, picks out a song and ships it out. and then he goes back to his swivel chair to read emails.

seriously, the guy should just make music for tv shows where they only play like two songs an episode for a whole season. maybe a sitcom on fox or something
Dunno what the deal with Sakuraba is, his music in the Baten Kaitos games is amazing, it was a huge surprise to me when it came to my knowledge that he was the composer because the music actually sounded inspired instead of his usual five tracks.

Nuclear Muffin said:

Are you kidding, or have you just not listened to some of his works outside of those? His work on Valkyrie Profile 2, Infinite Undiscovery and Eternal Sonata is outstanding, and far better than his Tales of 2.0 work in the Golden Sun series.

Datschge

Easy_D said:
Dunno what the deal with Sakuraba is
It's all about sound direction, i.e. what he is requested to do and how specific these requests are. For Camelot games its sound director Masaaki Uno only gives direction for the game's overall style while he leaves the rest up to Sakuraba. The opposite approach is Hiroya Hatsushiba who did sound direction for the tri-Ace games up to VP2 as well as the tri-Crescendo (BK1&2, TB/ES) games, he is very specific with requests. One shouldn't forget that like everyone he tends to get typecasted, and for similar types of games (especially series) the sound direction will tend to be similar as well (e.g. based on his past music I personally wish he'd do more sports games, action games and side-scrolling shooters).

I got this translation of his comment from back when he was announced in Famitsu:
Beyond the Labyrinth isn't the type of game I get to composed often, so I think the music will sound a bit different to you than my usual work. I felt fresh myself. The music is hard to categorize as a specific genre, but I tried to make something beautiful, yet deep. You may feel a sense of nostalgia, as some tracks use retro samples.
First piece.

Datschge

Who knows what's up. Konami slacking with their publisher duties maybe? Frontier Gate has its soundtrack within 2011 as well (no specific date though).

duckroll

Datschge said:
Who knows what's up. Konami slacking with their publisher duties maybe? Frontier Gate has its soundtrack within 2011 as well (no specific date though).

Yeah but Frontier Gate actually has a release window of "2011", and has a proper site, and there's a playable demo out (which Konami is taking user feedback from). So that seems more likely. Either way, we'll see. I like Sakuraba's score in BtL from what I've heard. Don't have a 3DS yet though.

Datschge said:
Not sure why after the announcement of the composer Sakuraba non-fans need to derail the thread when previously everyone mentioning the music piece previously on the website stated liking or even loving it and nobody really made the connection to him at that time.

I did! :D

His synths are familiar to me. He may be doing Kid Icarus Uprising's OST, or partially at least (or none of it which will surprise me). The theme on KIU's site sounds like something from him as well.

He's been at his best this generation, so I'm in complete disagreement with some users above. But that's cool. It's not like any of us is actually right or wrong, but the critics have some good points. The only OSTs I don't care much for from him are his Tales of stuff. Outside that, I'm eager to hear or import the soundtracks. Dark Souls will hopefully be a great OST from him and so will Beyond the Labyrinth.

Anyway, Beyond the Labyrinth seems interesting. I hope it's a lot of fun.

Motoi Sakuraba said:
Beyond the Labyrinth isn't the type of game I get to composed often, so I think the music will sound a bit different to you than my usual work. I felt fresh myself. The music is hard to categorize as a specific genre, but I tried to make something beautiful, yet deep. You may feel a sense of nostalgia, as some tracks use retro samples

YES! He's great at this. That's what I wanna hear.

vareon

New screens and informations here:

ttp://www.famitsu.com/news/201110/14051762.html

Maybe someone can translate that if there's any new information?

Top Bottom