• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls AKA the return of Geist

Yeah, this is only an alpha build. Nothing is polished yet. Also they mentioned 2 months ago that the timer is deactivated, so they can show you the different stuff without "loosing".

Well that's a relief, because the whole scenario is sorely lacking urgency and tension. That's my only qualm with the video though; it looks incredible otherwise. Genuinely boggling that they can run those kind of graphics on the PS3.

Ricky_R

Graphics are insane. Seems like you have a shit ton of possibilities in this scene, as the guy in the older demo did things way differently. Pretty cool that you can manipulate things, even if they don't serve any purpose, like you can flip any car, not depending if there are cops standing behind it or not.

You can switch freely back an forth between her and the ghost in about 90% of the game. The other 10% is scripted, in this scene for example you are forced to use the ghost.

Yeah, this is only an alpha build. Nothing is polished yet. Also they mentioned 2 months ago that the timer is deactivated, so they can show you the different stuff without "loosing".

Cool. Thanks for the info.

iHPSqU839KOvt.gif

Are the game cut scenes consistently gonna be in this quality? and is this like one of those in game engine but polished cut scenes?

Good lord, thanks for the GIF Sunhi, thats about all I need. I'm hoping I enjoy this as much as Heavy Rain. I paid 60 for it and felt it was worth it which is rare these days.

My main concern is actually the paranormal stuff they have going on, last time they tried a game with that it ended disastrously.
Besides the ghost and some explanation for the afterlife, there is nothing supernatural going on. It's grounded in reality like Heavy Rain for the most part.
One of the producers was asked at E3 to compare the themes to Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit and he said something like "80% Heavy Rain, 20% Fahrenheit".

So it certainly won't go apeshit like Fahrenheit.

Amazing graphics, but I suppose that's not the only way the game plays right?
Nope. The other 60% is "Heavy Rain gameplay", but with more open scenes, exploration and more direct control in the action scenes.

I hope all the action sequences arent like this in the final game.
Every action scene is different. They said there is only one holdup scene like this in the game.

This game is going to be hilarious. Geist x Heavy Rain sounds so bad it's good. I await the YouTube playthroughs with great interest.
Avoid those with commentary. 90% of these happen to like QD games most of the time.

Lightyears ahead of Heavy Rain's.

You can thank performance capture for that. Developers still using traditional mocap for games will continue to get left behind when it comes to creating even slightly believable characters. Well, unless they have really good animators like you see with ND.

UrbanRats

You can thank performance capture for that. Developers still using traditional mocap for games will continue to get left behind when it comes to creating even slightly believable characters. Well, unless they have really good animators like you see with ND.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to be start using it now (Ubisoft with Splinter Cell, Far Cry 3, AC3) and yeah, it's good stuff, ofcourse i don't think it's a must have for most games, but for those with a big focus on stoyrdriven performances, it's a nice thing to have.
Then again, Uncharted (as you said) and RDR had pretty great facial animations and did without it, so i guess you can work around it, if you must.

Cyberia

Sogood.gif

This and The Last of Us (and expect Ascension too when it releases) have certainly taken the crown for best looking console games. Next year will be amazing.

Lime

I think he's echoing like 90 % of Neogaf in this quote, so I can't see why anyone here would have a problem with his sentiment regarding the game industry.

"I think we should have more courage in our industry and take more risks, because I think this is what the industry needs now. I mean, how many first person shooters can you make? How many monsters/aliens/zombies can you kill in games? There's a moment where we need to grow up. We need to grow up," Cage told Gamasutra.

Sounds like every single post in the Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Dead Space 3, Tomb Raider, etc. threads. Or the entire week of E3 2012.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to be start using it now (Ubisoft with Splinter Cell, Far Cry 3, AC3) and yeah, it's good stuff, ofcourse i don't think it's a must have for most games, but for those with a big focus on stoyrdriven performances, it's a nice thing to have.
Then again, Uncharted (as you said) and RDR had pretty great facial animations and did without it, so i guess you can work around it, if you must.

Yeah, it's not 100% necessary as long as you have fantastic animators. But as graphics become more advance it's going to become even more jarring to see human characters with dead eyes or weird lip movement. I think this may be the last generation where you can get away with that. I expect it to become a bigger point of criticism next gen. Bioware is probably at the greatest risk in this area. They're probably the one company that's heavily focused on storytelling in games yet they have the weakest animation quality.

UrbanRats

Yeah, it's not 100% necessary as long as you have fantastic animators. But as graphics become more advance it's going to become even more jarring to see human characters with dead eyes or weird lip movement. I think this may be the last generation where you can get away with that. I expect it to become a bigger point of criticism next gen. Bioware is probably at the greatest risk in this area. They're probably the one company that's heavily focused on storytelling in games yet they have the weakest animation quality.

If anything, i don't see WHY people would want to go around it, i mean you could go around motion capture too, but now it's almost a standard for realistic games.
That ofcourse is excluding stuff like Mount & Blade, Super Mario and other games that obviously wouldn't care about it.

Revolver

I thought that gif was real for a sec. Really looking forward to this game. Despite it's flaws I liked Heavy Rain a lot.

AAK

That's an ad hominem.

Would you disagree with the notion that there is an overreliance on shooter games in mainstream digital games?

It's not the problem with developers/industry, it's the problem with the public. People want that kind of thing and that's the problem. Once they start showing interest in other things, developers will make games catered to them.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Graphics look damn good as expected. Here's hoping that the story/gameplay experience turn out good as well.

Riposte

That's an ad hominem.

Would you disagree with the notion that there is an overreliance on shooter games in mainstream digital games?

That isn't exactly the question here.

Telling people to go from shooters to a QTE pseudo-adventurer cinematic games in order to grow up is like a telling a young adult who spends his days playing football to instead work in a cubical so he can be an adult. An immature grasp of "maturity", not so much based on feelings as it is based on public image. Despite whatever Cage's games will give us in the face of stagnation (those graphics are truly fantastic if legit), he is still pretty clueless and it is sad we don't have critics who can combat his flawed ideology.

Shooters are popular because they are endlessly pleasurable in multiplayer, very easy to pick up, and the first person perspective feels natural. At the end of the day that is what matters most, pleasure, not being "different" for the sake of being different. On the bright side, they can improve just like anything else.

Lime

It's not the problem with developers/industry, it's the problem with the public. People want that kind of thing and that's the problem. Once they start showing interest in other things, developers will make games catered to them.

It's much more complex than that. I would say it's partly all parties involved (PR, publishers, developers, journalists, consumers, etc.), so saying it's one or the other should not deter at least the rest of the parties for trying to improve upon mainstream creative bankruptcy.

Gun to my head: I actually might go as far as to say that the developers and publishers are the most responsible, as they are the ones actively responsible for the future content and type of games they put out. Meanwhile the consumers often aren't aware of what they like or need, so they are not so much at fault as devs and pubs. The journalists and analysts are in complete shambles and the popular ones lack any kind of self-awareness or critical engagement. Only good thing is that PR does what they are supposed to, namely help sell the product. /armchair analysis

Telling people to go from shooters to a QTE pseudo-adventurer cinematic games in order to grow up is like a telling a young adult who spends his days playing football to instead work in a cubical so he can be an adult. An immature grasp of "maturity", not so much based on feelings as it is based on public image. Despite whatever Cage's games will give us in the face of stagnation (those graphics are truly fantastic if legit), he is still pretty clueless and it is sad we don't have critics who can combat his flawed ideology.

Whether or not his argument holds both a negative and positive sub-argument is debatable. I didn't read him saying that his games were the goal developers should strive for (a positive argument), but rather that the current state of mainstream development is creatively stagnating and one-sided (a negative argument). The latter is what I was solely referring to.

As such, I agree with his negative argument, while I obviously would sincerely disagree with his positive argument (if he had any). But I think you're putting words into his mouth, as I didn't see him in the quotation mentioning that his games were the be-all-end-all.

And I also dislike Cage and his lack of abilities constructing and telling a well-thought and intellectually honest story, so don't think I'm subscribing to what he considers to be a type of "good games" (meaning the ones he develops).

cgcg

No fun, no buy!

Damn them graphics. Shame about the screen tearings. Hope they can get that under control.

Everything's real time. You can see frame drops and tearings during cutscenes.

BadAss2961

Shooters are popular because they are endlessly pleasurable in multiplayer, very easy to pick up, and the first person perspective feels natural. At the end of the day that is what matters most, pleasure, not being "different" for the sake of being different. On the bright side, they can improve just like anything else.
I take Cage's comments as less of an indictment against shooters and the like, and more of a message to the gaming industry to start opening up to new experiences and innovation.

AAK

Nah, it's pretty simple to me. Developers will stop making shooters when people stop buying them.

If you want to put the majority of the blame on someone, blame the overall media and culture the world revolves around in. The whole media about killing German Nazi's/Russian Communists/now Arab Terrorists determining what's popular and they run with it freely, and it's what the mainstream consumer resonates with. Hence, the publishers are going to bank on it.

Nah, it's pretty simple to me. Developers will stop making shooters when people stop buying them.

Developers shouldn't stop making shooters. I'm pretty sure that Cage has even said that there's a market for them. But why not go out on a limb with something different? Heavy Rain actually did sell pretty well and exceeded both Sony and QD's expectations. So there is a market out there for games that aren't about blowing everything away.

Wow, I just learned that this game actually has a physic engine and uses rag doll. Moving around objects or flipping cars isn't scripted, you can move them as much as you want (not just one time).
One friend of mine saw the demo played out differently. The presenter killed almost the entire SWAT team with just one single car. He pushed it around the entire street and squished everyone under it before it eventually exploded lol

So the SWAT members react dynamically to collisions. You can really play the scene how you want. Since you can do this kind of stuff, there may be even some Half Life 2 esque physic games involved at some point.

I also found an extended version of David Cage's presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPgGwWmbMnw

He confirms at the end what I said earlier in this thread, that Jodie can get arrested in this scene if you take too long with Aiden. The main menu even has an Alternate Endings section, as you can see in the end of this video.

Wow, I just learned that this game actually has a physic engine and uses rag doll. Moving around objects or flipping cars isn't scripted, you can move them as much as you want (not just one time).
One friend of mine saw the demo played out differently. The presenter killed almost the entire SWAT team with just one single car. He pushed it around the entire street and squished everyone under it before it eventually exploded lol

So the SWAT members react dynamically to collisions. You can really play the scene how you want. Since you can do this kind of stuff, there may be even some Half Life 2 esque physic games involved at some point.

I also found an extended version of David Cage's presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPgGwWmbMnw

He confirms at the end what I said earlier in this thread, that Jodie can get arrested in this scene if you take too long with Aiden. The main menu even has an Alternate Endings section, as you can see in the end of this video.

Ooh, didn't see that last bit before of him mentioning that stuff. Thanks.

This .gif to me, is like the second coming of the silent hill 3 old guy with the hat. Just looks too good to be running on the hardware its for.

Hah, I'm sure people will be quoting it for years to come when some next gen games fail to look that good

Can't wait for Beyond. Execution be damned, Cage's games almost always have a healthy dose of intense scenes that are incredibly immersive. And if Ellen Page was blown away by the script and signed on without a moments hesitance after conferring with Cage, I'd say that the man has stepped his game up. She's a smart woman.

Top Bottom