• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Cloudy

Banned
Just cleared the game. Oh man, what a satisfying ending in a game for once. Sooo good and they even left it open for a possible sequel and explained the reason the story is present in non-chronological order.

The only reason this game doesn't top TLoU for me is that the gameplay is not as robust. It's one of the best plots I've ever seen in a game...

Sorian

Banned
Just cleared the game. Oh man, what a satisfying ending in a game for once. Sooo good and they even left it open for a possible sequel and explained the reason the story is present in non-chronological order.

The only reason this game doesn't top TLoU for me is that the gameplay is not as robust. It's one of the best plots I've ever seen in a game...

The reason for the out of order events was shallow at best but I'm fine with the fact that I wouldn't have wanted to play as young jodie for 4-5 hours of the game.

Honestly, I'm cool that they jumped around but they should have kept each section in cronological order. Basically, split the game into child jodie, teenage jodie,
CIA jodie, and post-CIA jodie
and you can jump between those 4 "sections" but keep the content within the sections chonological.

mxgt

Banned
While I didn't like HR, I still gave this a go and ended up liking it a lot more, mainly due to the significant improvement in acting and animation. <3 Ellen Page.

I was probably most impressed by the graphical quality though. This is the best looking console game now, right? can't think of anything that tops it. Beautiful almost the entire way.

Chose Life ending with Zoe, being re-united with the homeless gang was an ending I enjoyed immensely

The reason for the out of order events was shallow at best but I'm fine with the fact that I wouldn't have wanted to play as young jodie for 4-5 hours of the game.

I was wondering if this could have been the main reason for presenting the game this way. While there is technically an explanation for it, narratively there wasn't any compelling reason for the extreme nonlinearity. In most cases it actively worked against it. At the very least, toning it down some would have helped.

In the wake of finishing the game, I've been thinking: Is it possible to create a fully-realized character arc in a story that has so many potential outcomes?

Astarte

Okay so I beat the game and...well..I've never laughed so hard at a game in my life. Ordinarily I'd give it a 6/10, but laughs were had and the score's now 8/10. Co op is the best way to play this game

Sorian

Banned
I was wondering if this could have been the main reason for presenting the game this way. While there is technically an explanation for it, narratively there wasn't any compelling reason for the extreme nonlinearity. In most cases it actively worked against it. At the very least, toning it down some would have helped.

In the wake of finishing the game, I've been thinking: Is it possible to create a fully-realized character arc in a story that has so many potential outcomes?

I have no doubt that the real reason for the choppy linearity was to alleviate how messed up the pacing would have been if it was all childhood then all action.

Okay so I beat the game and...well..I've never laughed so hard at a game in my life. Ordinarily I'd give it a 6/10, but laughs were had and the score's now 8/10. Co op is the best way to play this game

Cool

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The graphics in
Dragon's Nest or whatever
are absolutely mindblowing. I thought I was watching a movie and I don't mean it in that trollish, forumertard way. Like the graphics omgggggg

Bladenic

My bro was watching me play, should have asked him to play coop since everyone is praising it.

And yeah, this may be the best looking game ever right now (consoles anyway). Homeless was a stunning chapter, <3 snow.

Just finished The Condenser. HOLY SHIT THIS GAME GOT INTENSE QUICK. Goddamn. I'm a little annoyed I did it in the day time in the living room with lots of noise around. Would have been amazing at night in the quiet. Still great though.

Did that mission just before midnight in a darkened living room. So good.

Cloudy

Banned

I feel the random order of events added to the intrigue and enchanced the story-telling by giving the player a sense of time-lapse

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The graphics in
Dragon's Nest or whatever
are absolutely mindblowing. I thought I was watching a movie and I don't mean it in that trollish, forumertard way. Like the graphics omgggggg

Yeah, that's the chapter I thought could easily be confused for a next gen game. I can't believe they pulled that off.

Ghazi

I already hate
emo Jodie. So unlike all her other periods too. Ugh.

Yo, you're just jealous you can't
shred some serious metal
like she can.

One thing I was confused about was where did she get the influence to be like that from.

StuBurns

Banned
Yo, you're just jealous you can't shred some serious metal like she can.

One thing I was confused about was where did she get the influence to be like that from.
There are other girls on the base, and she mentions girls by name, so presumably she's hanging out with girls who dress like that in her free time, but they can go to the bar, and she can't.

Ghazi

There are other girls on the base, and she mentions girls by name, so presumably she's hanging out with girls who dress like that in her free time, but they can go to the bar, and she can't.

That makes sense, I was also confused when she kept referencing to "the girls" at the bar, so that clears that up. Speaking of the bar,
why didn't the bartender attempt to intervene when the attempted rape happened? Or did he try to and the guy's friend stopped him?

Also, does anyone know what track of the OST is from Welcome to the CIA? I can't find it.

Bladenic

That makes sense, I was also confused when she kept referencing to "the girls" at the bar, so that clears that up. Speaking of the bar,
why didn't the bartender attempt to intervene when the attempted rape happened? Or did he try to and the guy's friend stopped him?

Also, does anyone know what track of the OST is from Welcome to the CIA? I can't find it.

Speaking of the OST, is it available anywhere? It's been pretty amazing so far.

Ghazi

Is there going to be DLC for this game?? I seriously could play as Ellen Page forever. I just love seeing her face.
They'll probably make the SE challenge DLC publically available at some point. I could totally see Cage doing an extension of the game
the prophecy vision at the end
. But I can't think of anything else unless they add cut scenes or ala Deus Ex HR "The Missing Link". For the most part, the story is cohesive, so I couldn't see that missing scenes thing happening tbh.
Speaking of the OST, is it available anywhere? It's been pretty amazing so far.

I've been listening to it on YouTube, iirc it came with the Special Edition of the game, and I'm assuming it'll be coming to iTunes (I bought TLOU soundtrack there as well, that's why I'm assuming).

Are you sure? I just thought she made them up in order to have a justification for herself to go out...or to cope with the fact that she hasn't any friends. The location was totally off for 16 year old girls and it is strange that they didn't show up.

Sorian

Banned
Are you sure? I just thought she made them up in order to have a justification for herself to go out...or to cope with the fact that she hasn't any friends. The location was totally off for 16 year old girls and it is strange that they didn't show up.

Unless she felt like lying to herself more once she got to the bar. She mentions them to herself if you bring her into the bathroom.

StuBurns

Banned
Why would that work? If she only ever speaks to those two men, it doesn't make much sense to pretend she has female friends to the only two people who know her.

Why would that work? If she only ever speaks to those two men, it doesn't make much sense to pretend she has female friends to the only two people who know her.

It's not impossible imo...

I find it strange myself, but I just don't understand why they don't show up and why they would choose such an odd location. If someone lives relatively isolated like Jodie, then I think it's possible to invent such a story. I thought her motivation for going there was to pretend to herself that she was like other girls, along with having friends and all...

Leeness

I already hate
emo Jodie. So unlike all her other periods too. Ugh.

I was DYING at her
angry guitar playing. I also sat her up and down on the couch, so she'd sit, cry, stand up, sit, cry, stand up.

That whole chapter was hilarious.

Also, later in the game
just getting through Navajo and

SHASHURIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

had me laughing so hard.

J.W.Crazy

Yeah, I don't know how I'd score it but it's got some of the best (worst) unintentional humor I've seen in a while. Cage is so bizarre. There are scenes that have amazing directing where everything flows so perfectly with beautiful shot composition and then suddenly he's cutting left and right for no reason while gratuitously panning on nothing. The writing will be spot on, emotionally moving stuff and then the dialogue gets so stilted and unnatural I can't believe Page actually read it that way. Also, I think every game of his I've played has had guitars and women showering\going to the bathroom.

I throughly enjoyed Beyond, played it in pretty much one sitting with a few 15-20 minute breaks because it was so interesting and engrossing, but as a game it seems like they've made no progress from Heavy Rain. The tech is awesome, acting and Mo-Cap top notch, but the writing and more importantly game design are still lacking in the same ways.

StuBurns

Banned
It's not impossible imo...

I find it strange myself, but I just don't understand why they don't show up and why they would choose such an odd location. If someone lives relatively isolated like Jodie, then I think it's possible to invent such a story. I thought her motivation for going there was to pretend to herself that she was like other girls, along with having friends and all...
Is it isolated? Or is it that the base is isolated, and the bar is just the most close location to play pool and socialize outside of the base's watchful eyes.

While Jodie's first party experience was far from a success, there's really no reason to think her attempts at friendship ended there, and in fact, that sequence seems to be there to make it seem like she isn't completely isolated.

I don't think it makes any sense for her to lie to her 'keepers', then lie to herself. It makes more sense that her friends just weren't there, either they cancelled the plans, and didn't tell her, because they didn't know she was going, or they went somewhere else, or whatever.

StuBurns

Banned
I can't wait to see William Dafoe again. The whole game was like the Green Goblin's origin story ffs.
Me neither...

SPkpLVK.jpg

Is it isolated? Or is it that the base is isolated, and the bar is just the most close location to play pool and socialize outside of the base's watchful eyes.

While Jodie's first party experience was far from a success, there's really no reason to think her attempts at friendship ended there, and in fact, that sequence seems to be there to make it seem like she isn't completely isolated.

I don't think it makes any sense for her to lie to her 'keepers', then lie to herself. It makes more sense that her friends just weren't there, either they cancelled the plans, and didn't tell her, because they didn't know she was going, or they went somewhere else, or whatever.

You are probably right. Didn't think about it that much after the chapter.

However, I think my version is more dramatic and I will continue pretending to myself that I am right. I...like my illogical solution /cage mode off

Well my expectations for this game coming in were very low, but I played it with a couple of friends on a big TV, and I honestly believe it was the best way to experience the game. We managed to get past the chapter in the
Nejavo Desert
, including breaks for food and smokes and whatnot.

We just passed round the controller between the three of us for each new chapter and analysed the events. Really good fun to do that with narrative driven games.

Visuals were quite honestly jawdropping in some areas, lighting and animation was truly incredible. Easily takes the crown for best looking current-gen (console) game. This is coming from someone who isn't really a fan of David Cage stuff or someone who hasn't owned a PS360 myself (thank ye lawd Gaben for thy Steam). But really impressive stuff. I'm normally someone who hates QTE events, but it sort of worked here.

Some of the stuff that wound me up was how blatantly obvious or patronising the hints felt for advancing the story. Like the game was going "Hey REMEMBER THIS THING that happened 5 minutes ago? Here it is again in a flashback!" I don't like being treated like an idiot, and I felt subtlety really isn't in Cage's repertoire. The other issue I had was "when in doubt, press triangle to Aiden"

But apart from that an enjoyable experience. A lot funnier and darker than I expected. A lot more overt horror tones.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Finished the game in about a day and a half. Was like watching a long, really awesome movie. So happy I went into a media blackout awhile back; didn't even know the game came out till I saw the neogaf thread about it :)

ST2K

Well, I beat it. I think I like Heavy Rain more than this, but I think I'll have to go through it a few more times before I decide.

Still some confusing plot elements though. I wonder if that's just a QD thing at this point.

Ghazi

Worst chapter in the game by a mile, in my opinion. Some people loved it, but I hated almost every minute of it.

I thought it was amazing, very self contained, but didn't have any relevance to the actual story is what bothered me about it. I'm still happy it was there, though.

Top Bottom