• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Any ride posted here in future I expect to have at least this much climbing to mileage ratio...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1123751242

Also, don't go into a climb like that cold. My lungs nearly exploded.

ubufs.jpg

It's amazing how much the altitude takes it out of you. You're suddenly doing 70rpm in your granny ring and you look up and realise that it's not far off flat. lol

Addnan

I found walking for extended period at 3000m was bordering on difficult, can only imagine what it is like riding with any real amount of power at altitude.

HTupolev

Will need new tires soon. What are the best tires in $40-$60 range?
Best tires for riding on what kind of surface/terrain, on what wheels, on a bike with how much safe clearance, with what preferences in mounting style (i.e. tubeless or tubed), with what needs in terms of things like flat protection, and what needs as far as wear life?

Gray Matter

Best tires for riding on what kind of surface/terrain, on what wheels, on a bike with how much safe clearance, with what preferences in mounting style (i.e. tubeless or tubed), with what needs in terms of things like flat protection, and what needs as far as wear life?

Strictly road, tubed, all rounder tire that will last.

I can't argue with you at all, but I prefer gatorskins because I hate changing flats that much. It's the longest two minutes in cycling.

My bike shop owner told me if he ever saw gatorskins on my bike he'd refuse me service. That's how much he hates them and based on what I know with their compound, I would probably hate riding them.

T8SC

Continental GP4000 is the gold standard in road tyres. I've also had good experiences with Vittoria Rubino Pro G+ graphene tyres.

Corsa G+ can be found <$60, though, and they're definitely a higher-tier tire.

GP4000 or GP Classic

I can't argue with you at all, but I prefer gatorskins because I hate changing flats that much. It's the longest two minutes in cycling.

All incorrect (In my opinion) Schwalbe Pro One tubeless 25's are the tyre to use.

All incorrect (In my opinion) Schwalbe Pro One tubeless 25's are the tyre to use.

I also have those and even though they roll really really well they don't last long at all and they're prone to punctures (or maybe I've been unlucky after the first couple hundred km).

I'm still a believer in tubeless though.

ShapeGSX

I’m in Reykjavík Iceland this week, and I’m renting a bike tomorrow to go for a ride. Not sure where yet. I’m kicking myself for not bringing my Garmin!

My bike shop owner told me if he ever saw gatorskins on my bike he'd refuse me service. That's how much he hates them and based on what I know with their compound, I would probably hate riding them.
The bike shop owner sounds like a cunt. Elitism is never a welcoming way to increase business. I commute and ride my bike for fitness and joy. I care less about weight and rolling resistance and more about not getting flats. Is there a tire that is more puncture resistant than the gatorskin?

The bike shop owner sounds like a cunt. Elitism is never a welcoming way to increase business. I commute and ride my bike for fitness and joy. I care less about weight and rolling resistance and more about not getting flats. Is there a tire that is more puncture resistant than the gatorskin?

He's a friend of mine so that's why he was that way. He hates them because they're a very hard compound and can be dangerous in wet weather due to it.

I would rather someone be vocal about a product and place you into something right versus just yessing you for a sale or forcing you into something you don't need.

He's a friend of mine so that's why he was that way. He hates them because they're a very hard compound and can be dangerous in wet weather due to it.

I would rather someone be vocal about a product and place you into something right versus just yessing you for a sale or forcing you into something you don't need.
Wet weather, we rarely have that in Wyoming. I haven't had to deal with that since moving from Cascadia 16 years ago. In my experience, Gatorskins work well in the freezing cold though. Reading a bit on the subject, the Grand Prix 4 Season might be the best balance of durability, rolling resistance, puncture resistance and all season performance.

I agree that a salesman should offer informed opinions, but refusing service is dickish. Knowing he's your friend definitely changes things though.

HTupolev

Is there a tire that is more puncture resistant than the gatorskin?
Yes. Even in Conti's road lineup you've got the Gator Hardshell. But many touring tires are considerably tougher; on the extreme end you've got things like the Marathon Plus, with a puncture-protection layer 5mm thick at the centerline. Or if you want to get really crazy, you could grab some literally-puncture-proof solid tires, like Tannus.

OG Loc

Hello Bike GAF.

My girlfriend and I recently moved downtown in my little city (Norfolk!) and our landlord left a bike in one of the closets. After some research it turns out it's a Giant Escape 3 2016 model.

Our landlord only wants $100 for it after I brought it up to him yesterday. Is this a good deal for someone who is looking to get into commuter biking but knows nothing about biking other than "try not to fall?"

frontieruk

Hello Bike GAF.

My girlfriend and I recently moved downtown in my little city (Norfolk!) and our landlord left a bike in one of the closets. After some research it turns out it's a Giant Escape 3 2016 model.

Our landlord only wants $100 for it after I brought it up to him yesterday. Is this a good deal for someone who is looking to get into commuter biking but knows nothing about biking other than "try not to fall?"

as long as it's a good fit when you sit on it then yes the Escape 3 is probably worth a punt though I'd try knocking him down to £70/80 as it was probably only about £300 new and as the landlord doesn't want it.

can you post some photos of the of the rear gear cassette so we can gauge how much it's be used?

Rbk_3

Bought Fulcrum5's, Conti GP2000, an Ultegra 6800 Group, and Shimano RC7 shoes last month.

Just bought the Wahoo Element Bolt, and am now considering a power meter (4iiii).

Thank god my wife and I do not sure a bank account haha

Teggy

So they came out with another Elemnt already? The Bolt is already really tiny, I don't know how much smaller this thing can be.

Edit: oh, only $99, that will be pretty attractive for a lot of people assuming it isn't too gimped. Hm, no navigation?

So they came out with another Elemnt already? The Bolt is already really tiny, I don't know how much smaller this thing can be.

Edit: oh, only $99, that will be pretty attractive for a lot of people assuming it isn't too gimped. Hm, no navigation?

It's aimed at people who want a smarter device than a magnet based sensor, but don't need full fledged tracking of a Garmin/Wahoo. Something on par with a Garmin Edge 20/25.

The timing as it relates to Bolt is kind of weird, but they now have a competing range to Garmin.

Teggy

It's aimed at people who want a smarter device than a magnet based sensor, but don't need full fledged tracking of a Garmin/Wahoo. Something on par with a Garmin Edge 20/25.

The timing as it relates to Bolt is kind of weird, but they now have a competing range to Garmin.

I imagine they wanted to release them together but couldn't pull it off. I definitely like my Bolt and wouldn't have gotten the mini due to not having nav. The maps on the Bolt aren't as good as actually having RideWithGPS up in front of me, but not having to have the phone on the handlebars is pretty nice. And the aero mount is cheap so I have one on both bikes.

Rbk_3

It's basically a RFLKT 2.0 but worse in some ways because you can't use just any sensors, they have to be Wahoo.

I used the RFLKT until this week when I got the Bolt. I really liked it, overall. It was able to pair with my Duotrap so I didn't have to zip tie anything on my bike. 2 years and I never had to change the coin-cell battery. I am going to miss that.

Would a longer crank arm result in bigger chainrings?

Bigger chainring, no
Change in biomechanics when pedaling: yes

Don't do this unless you absolutely need longer cranks. I've been considering moving to 165 from 172 to see if it improves my hip rotation. My hips rotate forward a lot for my seat height and I've ben curious to see if moving to shorter cranks would help some of the comfort problems I've been having.

This youtube channel has A LOT of good and easy to understand information for bio-mechanics on bikes; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwoNCypfg08

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, it's time for me to get serious and enter The Biking World, becoming one of you guys. It's just for exercise for now, and general transportation within the city, but I'll gradually invest more time and energy into it, getting into races and mixed terrain cycling and whatnot.

frontieruk

Alright, it's time for me to get serious and enter The Biking World, becoming one of you guys. It's just for exercise for now, and general transportation within the city, but I'll gradually invest more time and energy into it, getting into races and mixed terrain cycling and whatnot.

That's what we all do it for... Honest

Gray Matter

How many bicycles shops are in your area? And how many of them do you shop and/or ride with?

I have 3 that are all close enough that I ride with frequently, 2 of those once a week each. At one of those stores, which I ride with them every week, I have not spent a single dollar in that store and I feel bad because I love riding with them, the owner is awesome and hosts a great ride each week, but I haven't needed anything.

In all the excitement I completely forgot to post!

I beat my target of sub 10 hours and got an overall time of 9hrs 19mins.

The biggest issues came mostly from starting from the back. I lost huge amounts of time being stuck behind other riders on both the ups and the downs (there were some utterly awful descenders there). If I did it again (and had to start from the back) I'd be FAR more aggressive with my overtakes.

The other issues came about because my timer failed which resulted in screwing up my food and drink schedule. But I really can't complain, I did what I came here to do, and had an amazing time doing it (to be honest, it was easier than my test rides because of having to go slower).

https://www.strava.com/activities/1131879267

I'm really looking forward to coming back to Colorado. What an incredible place.

WedgeX

Banned
The National Park Service surprised me by finally filling in a twenty foot section of pavement that separated two long river trails. Upon finding this out while riding today, what was supposed to be a ten mile easy ride turned into a good 23 mile ride. Feeling good feeling great.

qHXBoZm.jpg

fake edit:

Almost forgot. While riding through the city, some jerk in a car decided to throw some homophobic slurs my way. I'm not even gay and it left me shaking with rage. How do other handle this?

Realise that they're miserable cunts and be glad you're not them / don't have to know them on a day to day basis.

People can be wankers. As best possible you just put them out of your mind.

Ripenen

Any mountain bikers here have any thoughts on the Santa Cruz 5010?

Local shop has one on closeout in my size and I'm very tempted. I want a bike that can handle technical climbs and also be nimble enough to handle tight windy trails. I currently have a Kona Kahuna and it climbs OK but it doesn't handle the twisty trails very well. I don't do any serious downhill.

Laekon

Any mountain bikers here have any thoughts on the Santa Cruz 5010?

Local shop has one on closeout in my size and I'm very tempted. I want a bike that can handle technical climbs and also be nimble enough to handle tight windy trails. I currently have a Kona Kahuna and it climbs OK but it doesn't handle the twisty trails very well. I don't do any serious downhill.

It's a fun bike, capable of a lot, but it depends on the price. Some bikes like the Giant Trance can be a much better value.

Mascot

Man, I'm really struggling with motivation to hit the trails this year, with no real idea why. The weather hasn't been as good as 2016 but that really doesn't bother me. I think I'm about 1500 miles down on where I was this time last year.

I think I've asked this before, does anyone have recommendations on cold/wet shoes for mountain biking? I was looking at the Shimano MW7 because they have the features at a good price point. I know Lake's are the go to brand, but they're also super expensive.

I have the MW81 which have been pretty durable except for the neoprene cuff which is a bit delicate. Still, they're warm even when wet. They're not proper winter shoes though, only good until -5C or so. 45nrth is apparently the best, but they're way too expensive for my taste. Once there's snow spds become impractical for mountain biking anyway.

ShapeGSX

I ended up renting a mountain bike (that was slightly too small for me) in Reykjavik last Wednesday. It was a 58 degree, sunny day amongst 52 degree days, so it was the day to go!

I had intentions to do a longer ride if I could find a road bike.

But instead, I just rode the coastline of Reykjavik.It was gorgeous. I took a bunch of photos. Just a great way to see everything. The wind there is relentless, though!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1126856919

Top Bottom