• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Box PC Games

Cdammen

Went to the storage to get my winter boots out and found the few remaining big box PC games I had left that hadn't been thrown away, water damaged, crushed, borrowed away, and/or forgotten somewhere, etc.

So I brought them in and dusted them off.

20141209-img_7723hyjn4.jpg

Yes I probably shouldn't stack them like that, I quickly put them in neat row once the picture was taken.

I remember playing Midtown Madness on the families "work and school" computer. I spent many hours going against the traffic in a red sports car and trying to hit those pesky pedestrians. Standing in the store reading and looking at the box was a neat way of choosing your next game. Some backs were more informative than others. This back cover made the game out to be action packed, but in reality it was mildly sleep-inducing :)

20141209-img_7729dijuv.jpg

I like how many of the boxes have foldouts, that contain additional info, hypeing you into buying them. Here's Unreal Tournament spread-eagle:

20141209-img_7727ttjp1.jpg

The outsides look great, but these boxy beauties look even better on the inside. I remember reading the manual to Baldur's Gate and inspecting the map like a learned scholar. Both activites paid off once in-game. The lore and the small markings on the map sometimes led to side-quests or cool little secret stashes, enemies, or events.

20141209-img_7728q9jr5.jpg

So, what big box PC game boxes do you have laying around? Do you have any with fantastic art / design? Maybe your PC game had an enormous full-color manual the size of a telephone book? Remember the paper wheel DRM some adventure games had? Or maybe you got a neat little collectible with your game purchase?

Aw man, midtown madness. Now there's a blast from the past. I remember spending hours, upon hours on that game back in the day. I think there was a hack to get the batmobile in it. Its was cheezy as heck and had a static flame coming out the back, but MAN was it fun.

The only big box I currently have is Dark Souls 1: Prepare to Die Edition.

How disappointed I was to look inside my father's old Ultima IV box and find...nothing. He lost the old Amiga before I was born, too! Good thing I'm going to have a collection someday.

bjork

The only boxed PC games I have are the DVD and CD releases of the 2004 Pirates! remake. All my other stuff has gone away from who knows why.

For an interesting collection, look up the lazygamereviews guy. He's got a TON of stuff, he recently just built like 10 bookshelves to put all his stuff up. He's constantly pulling old rare shit too, no idea how he's getting so lucky so often.

TheMoon

I don't have any of the fancy RPG boxes, that was from a time when I was more into clickety click (read: Diablo), strategy and shooters. The fanciest boxes I have a probably my Witcher 1+2 boxes (CE of the latter, Enhanced Edition of the former) and my two big StarCraft 2 CEs

pcboxuycem.jpg

Special Guest Appearance by a PS3 game :p

Krejlooc

Banned
The only boxed PC games I have are the DVD and CD releases of the 2004 Pirates! remake. All my other stuff has gone away from who knows why.

For an interesting collection, look up the lazygamereviews guy. He's got a TON of stuff, he recently just built like 10 bookshelves to put all his stuff up. He's constantly pulling old rare shit too, no idea how he's getting so lucky so often.

Clint from lgr is a great guy. Real nice to talk to and his passion for retro pc gaming is genuine.

Cdammen

Where do you live OP? I don't recognize that BG box.
Sweden. But I think our boxes come from the UK. There are no Swedish or nordic instructions in the manual.

I don't have any of the fancy RPG boxes, that was from a time when I was more into clickety click (read: Diablo), strategy and shooters. The fanciest boxes I have a probably my Witcher 1+2 boxes (CE of the latter, Enhanced Edition of the former) and my two big StarCraft 2 CEs
Those Half-Life boxes look really nice. I bought Generations just because it was cheaper... kinda regret that now. The color made them really POP on the shelves. Alas, I had only so much pocket money when I was a younger.

I also really want to nicely frame like three game boxes and put them up on the wall. I'd probably do it with DOOM 2 (not my favorite game but a badass cover), Deus Ex (one of my favourite games, and pretty solid designwise), and get an original Monkey Island 2 in good shape to glass.

//ARCANUM

I love my big box PC games and actively search out more on a regular basis. I have them on display in my home.

bjork

Clint from lgr is a great guy. Real nice to talk to and his passion for retro pc gaming is genuine.

I'm mostly sour/jealous because he found a boxed Space Taxi and wasn't really familiar with it. Meanwhile I'd never even seen one prior to that, despite knowing about it for 30 years. I'll get over it... one day, heh.

Cdammen

I love my big box PC games and actively search out more on a regular basis. I have them on display in my home.
I'd like to see how you've done it if you don't mind. I have some friends really into vinyl records and they display a couple at a time standing leaned against the wall on a thin shelf. I like it that way because it gives the visitor a chance to grab it from the wall and look at it up close. I'd wager it would work great for PC boxes as well.

Love my big box games. *snip*
My god I loved the Crimson Skies demo, never got the chance to play the full game. I had a pretty rad Thrustmaster stick that my father used for his Apache / helicopter sim games.

TheMoon

Those Half-Life boxes look really nice. I bought Generations just because it was cheaper... kinda regret that now. The color made them really POP on the shelves. Alas, I had only so much pocket money when I was a younger.

I bought them as they came out so there was enough time to save up for me back then ;D

I love that they're just colorful boxes with minimal artwork on them and don't have to have a dude looking off into the distance with a gun in hand. The bad thing about that is that they fooled me into thinking that Gunman Chronicles was related to Half Life lol. I was young and dumb and didn't know better ;D

PaulloDEC

I miss these so much. I think most of the few I have left have been unfolded and flattened out now, including Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition, Return to Zork, Zork Nemesis and Myst III Exile.

Here are some blurry pics of part of my obsess...collection.

The Infinity Set. Poor little IWD2.

PfFNmMK.jpg

Street cred, street cred, despair, street cred, street cred, street cred, street cred, street cred, disappointment, PS4 exclusive, better than FF7.

WxbpMSS.jpg

Wow, really sorry about the picture quality.

jbueno

I always loved browsing the PC sections in Best Buy and Circuit City back in the day, big PC boxes were awesome and mind blowing to me., if a bit wasteful.

After bidding more than $100 on a big boxed copy of Grim Fandango on eBay a couple of years ago, I lost the auction. However, eBay recommended a few more auctions and there was a big box copy, fully complete, for $50 buy it now.

Turns out the seller lived near my house. I went and picked it up from him in person, and he also sold me Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, and Sam and Max hit the road (just loose CDs in cases, but for $5 each). After that, I got a big box copy of the LucasArts archives version of Curse of Monkey Island, which also included Monkey Island 1 and 2. Might throw up some pics when I get home from work

bjork

Did full throttle have different print runs? I remember mine having a horizontal layout to the box.

TheMoon

That's now three sealed backer editions of Wasteland 2 in this thread ;D

*secretWL2backerhandshake*

ghibli99

I think I post these every time this topic comes up, but oh well. :)

zgGJNeF.jpg

nAcic3G.jpg

I love the old Apple II-era boxes way more than the '90s PC stuff. There was a much better sense of optimization in terms of how the space was used vs. the bloated, huge slipcase PC covers that started happening around the King's Quest V days. Not that I didn't love those, but I love the old stuff more.

Nzyme32

Special Guest Appearance by a PS3 game :p

FUCK. You did what I tried to do years ago. I had hl1, oposing force and blue shift's OG boxes, but I could never find gunman chronicles at the time in the correct yellow box. So satisfying to see them all together hahaha.

But yeah I gave up on old PC game collecting. Although I'm sure I have those boxes and the original metal gear integral box somewhere as well as a massive box for the monkey island trilogy - which was mostly an empty box haha

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I keep meaning to buy a Quake box. It's my favorite PC game and the big ass Q logo on the front is iconic, it'd look dope on my shelf.

TheMoon

FUCK. You did what I tried to do years ago. I had hl1, oposing force and blue shift's OG boxes, but I could never find gunman chronicles at the time in the correct yellow box. So satisfying to see them all together hahaha.

looool thanks, I guess :p

even though Gunman Chronicles is like the bastard child of the family I really like having it there if only to complement the other colors :D

Etnos

Banned
Unfortunately I lost a bunch of old classic in a moving a couple of years back :/

boxes.jpg

I still have a decent collection though :)

That's now three sealed backer editions of Wasteland 2 in this thread ;D

*secretWL2backerhandshake*

I didn't get mine yet. wtf. when did you guys get yours?

edit: had to snap a pic of the bigboxes I've still got too

bigboxcvzge.jpg

my favourite is street fighter 2 pc. LOL. ssi d&d game collection :drooooool
couple of newer games too. that unreal box is falling apart. heh.

edit2: oh. should have a few amiga boxes somewhere too. wtf. hm

TheMoon

I didn't get mine yet. wtf. when did you guys get yours?

about a month or so after public release of the game.

you should read the backer updates. if you ordered anything else or a higher tier then your shipment would be later. the standard (!) backer boxed edition (no other extras!) was shipped out first (in terms of physical products).

about a month or so after public release of the game.

you should read the backer updates. if you ordered anything else or a higher tier then your shipment would be later. the standard (!) backer boxed edition (no other extras!) was shipped out first (in terms of physical products).

oh ok. yeah, I'm on the collector's edition I guess. kind of forgot about the box hehe. been playing the full game for so long now.

edit: jesus, is this the regular collector's edition box?

oeDkuLa.jpg

yessss

yatesl

All those Infinity Engine boxes and Lucas Art games give me "the feels", as it were.

I've long got rid of most of my physical stuff, but that Baldurs Gate box brings back so many memories - and the manual was fantastic.

Reminded me of the Super Metroid box & guide for the SNES.

TheMoon

oh ok. yeah, I'm on the collector's edition I guess. kind of forgot about the box hehe. been playing the full game for so long now.

edit: jesus, is this the regular collector's edition box?

oeDkuLa.jpg

yessss

This seems to be yours then, yea. But everything except the huge box, ranger patch and toy soldier is also in the standard backer box. Seems comparatively lacking if that is all. I dunno.

found some amiga stuff too. not the greatest amiga collection ever, lol. gp1, their finest hour battle of britain (larry holland forever!), lemmings and pushover are pretty great though. two copies of dp3!

these are in pretty bad shape, but I guess those small boxes are completely impossible to keep in ok condition. kind of like nes nintendo game boxes.

amiga5dugm.jpg

This seems to be yours then, yea. But everything except the huge box, ranger patch and toy soldier is also in the standard backer box. Seems comparatively lacking if that is all. I dunno.

haha. ok.

Kevin

So many memories in this thread. I've owned so many of these. Probably more then half. A few years back I lost all of it to a roof leak in the crawlspace where I stored the stuff. I lost several giant boxes worth of stuff.

SScorpio

I sadly was tossing boxes to make room and I killed my first release Baldur's Gate, Tales of the Sword Coast, and shiny Daggerfall boxes.

Here are a few I still have

qqow6Q4.jpg

Ultima IX is the huge edition box that dwarfed all other boxes at the time.

wfLuyMr.jpg

The Daggerfall box would go well with these. I did get rid of the Oblivion add-on boxes. And Skyrim is all digital since that's how I now roll.

UYgTjfW.jpg

I wish I had grabbed the Guild Wars Special Edition box that came with the 2nd exclusive artbook. I had everything else in that box so I didn't feel the need to drop the cash on it at the time.

Top Bottom