• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Time Games Producer Gives Shocking Insider Info On Wii

Jokeropia

Gokurakumaru said:
Fighting game franchise versus fighting game franchise is unfair now?
You may not be aware of this, but spinoffs of any franchise very rarely sell as much as main entries.
Gokurakumaru said:
Do you guys have any P/L statements per title to back your theories up? No. This is why Sales Age has no credibility.
Actually, we do know Capcom's sales expectations for a great deal of titles, which you have to assume is related to how much they've spent and are expecting to gain on each title. No other console game this generation managed to beat it's expectations by as much as RE4 Wii did. (1.5+ million to 450k.)
-Rogue5- said:
I haven't read through all 13 pages but has anyone confirmed that only Ubi and Nintendo are making money off of Wii games? That'd be pretty messed up.
That absurd statement was debunked way back.

I don't understand how you have to develop games for even underneath ps2 quality when the wii is about twice as powerfull as the gamecube.

Eteric Rice

majortom1981 said:
I don't understand how you have to develop games for even underneath ps2 quality when the wii is about twice as powerfull as the gamecube.

They don't, they just think we have really short term memories.

What I find funny this generation is how fast people forget the things that even the PS2 could do.

Just remember with Madworld that just because it is black and white that it didn't take considerable effort and R&D to find what works in that style. Painting textures and building geo for that look while in flux during production was likely not easy.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Warm Machine said:
Just remember with Madworld that just because it is black and white that it didn't take considerable effort and R&D to find what works in that style. Painting textures and building geo for that look while in flux during production was likely not easy.

True, but there are sections in the game where they would have taken considerably less time to produce - lots of the cutscenes use completely untextured models and let the lighting do the trick, and of course with a very limited colour palette that made the GUI-designer's job way easier.

However it would have been a big challenge to pull it off without it looking like a mess. I was expecting to play that game with a massive headache since that's what happened when watching any of the preview videos, but it's been surprisingly very clear what everything is.

Johann

-Rogue5- said:
I haven't read through all 13 pages but has anyone confirmed that only Ubi and Nintendo are making money off of Wii games? That'd be pretty messed up.

There are a lot of publishers making a killing off the Wii, such as Majesco and Acti-Blizzard to name a few. Even if many of their games were to be commercial failures, a big hit like Carnival Games, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, and Jillian Michaels' Fitness Ultimatum 2009 make Wii support worthwhile.

In particular, strong Guitar Hero sales for Wii have been absolutely vital to Acti-Blizzard. We don't hear this too often but it's been getting more expensive to manufacture and distribute rhythm games (especially drums according to Acti-Blizzard) due to rising fuel and plastic prices. They are thankful that Wii users had both strong demand and hardware from previous installments when World Tour came out. They only thing they regretted was under estimating demand for the game (especially the Wii version) since they were inexperienced in manufacturing and distributing the drums.

On the other hand, Viacom's MTV games is actually LOSING money on every hardware unit of Rock Band 1 and 2. They are following a razor and blades model similar to the 360 and PS3. According to Viacom's CFO, they plan on concentrating more on expansions and game-only entries after hardware sales hit critical mass. It's bad enough the don't have a bigger presence on the Wii, a market that is very receptive towards these types of games.

Sega

AniHawk said:
I'd think Sega would have probably said something by now.

Sorry I'm late. As some of you already know, game developers aren't immune to illogical game system bias. Most people I work with have their personal favorites and annoyances. People in all levels of power and experience can build blind bias in most subjects of expertise (does it take a lawyer of equal experience to see ridiculousness in Jack Thompson's actions/words?). I've played games since I was three, worked on over fifty games, and can design, program, draw/animate, and compose/play music for games, but I still find ways to think/say stupid stuff. I just know that this guy's wording doesn't really point to clear methodical conclusions, regardless of accuracy/inaccuracy. Fact check and move on.

jman2050

Sega said:
Sorry I'm late. As some of you already know, game developers aren't immune to illogical game system bias. Most people I work with have their personal favorites and annoyances. People in all levels of power and experience can build blind bias in most subjects of expertise (does it take a lawyer of equal experience to see ridiculousness in Jack Thompson's actions/words?). I've played games since I was three, worked on over fifty games, and can design, program, draw/animate, and compose/play music for games, but I still find ways to think/say stupid stuff. I just know that this guy's wording doesn't really point to clear methodical conclusions, regardless of accuracy/inaccuracy. Fact check and move on.

Wait, what?

Vinci

Danish
Lucario said:
It seems the Wii is a victim of being overgeneralized. It's odd that the PS2 wasn't this hated.

Why would the PS2 be hated? It was getting 99% of all 3rd party support from the word 'Go,' and had a large number of exclusives confirmed for it prior to it being launched.

Jokeropia said:
You may not be aware of this, but spinoffs of any franchise very rarely sell as much as main entries.

Agreed. But let's face it, this wasn't so much "not selling as well as" as it was selling incredibly poorly. Though to be fair Capcom shipped bugger all units which suggests expectations weren't really high to begin with.

Jokeropia said:
Actually, we do know Capcom's sales expectations for a great deal of titles, which you have to assume is related to how much they've spent and are expecting to gain on each title. No other console game this generation managed to beat it's expectations by as much as RE4 Wii did. (1.5+ million to 450k.)

Again, no argument here. Of course RE4 out performed expectations (of everybody given all the "but it's just a port!!!!" comments). And maybe it is proof big budget titles would sell great on Wii. Or at least big budget RE titles. So maybe Capcom should be doing an exploratory big budget title. But it's hard to say RE4 proved anything much except some games can sell well on the Wii, because let's face it. We're not really sure what it proved.

If anybody thinks I'm against big budget Wii games, they're mistaken. I'm all for "real" games on the system. I'm playing devil's advocate here. Capcom can probably afford to take the risk at this point. Not many other publishers have big budget games from the Cube they can test the waters with so they're really going in blind.

farnham

Banned
Vinci said:
Why would the PS2 be hated? It was getting 99% of all 3rd party support from the word 'Go,' and had a large number of exclusives confirmed for it prior to it being launched.
yeah and the wii is selling at a much faster pace then the ps2 and still gets no 3rd party support :lol :lol

Top Bottom