• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biggest Disappointing Games of 2020

What are the biggest disappointing games of 2020

• Avengers

Votes: 161 43.2%
  • TLOU2

Votes: 150 40.2%
  • Torchlight 3

Votes: 31 8.3%
  • Watch Dogs Legion

Votes: 51 13.7%
  • Resident Evil 3

Votes: 52 13.9%
  • FIFA 21

Votes: 14 3.8%
  • AC Valhalla

Votes: 23 6.2%
  • Predator: Hunting Grounds

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • Destiny BL

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • Yakuza LaD

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 39 10.5%

• Total voters

mcz117chief

Warcraft III Reforged easily. Not only did it disappoint but it was a SCAM in the end. Practically nothing they promised was delivered and what was delivered was either terrible, non-functional or of extremely shoddy quality. A company as famous as Blizzard for its amazing cutscenes actually put something like this in their product:

Absolutely shameful and disgusting.

The whole game didn't work, it made you lose the game upon starting the tutorial or some levels. Constant crashes and disconnects from the server during multiplayer. Beautiful 3D animated menu turned into a Google Chrome screen with barely animated gifs instead and with huge CPU spikes. Cutscenes which were supposed to be re-directed were not, not even the one they showed in the demo made it into the final game. Shoddy models out-sourced to some minimum wage workers, which is why everything has this generic, mobile-game feel to it. I could go on and on but the BIGGEST sin they committed is that they REMOVED Warcraft III from the Battle.net by forcing all people to update it into the REFORGED version. So now everybody is stuck on a terrible piece of shit unplayable garbage that is REFORGED and the only way to play a normal, working version of Warcraft 3 is through piracy or never updating your game.

NOTHING comes close this year. The games in the OP are just trash (some of them anyway) but Reforged is on a whole different level of malevolence.

Last edited:

aries_71

Tlou2, no doubt. Such disgusting characters and grim story. And that coming from the first game that had them close to perfection.

crozier

I dunno. I read that Torchlight 3 started as a F2P game, which still shows in the design. I have zero interest in picking that one up.

NahaNago

Most of the games mentioned were kinda expected to be a mess. TLOU2 has had so much drama surrounding the game that it was bound to disappoint somebody. Avengers has pretty much been fighting an uphill battle since the first trailer released. Watchdogs is made by ubisoft so it is pretty much the same old same old ubisoft but with a new twist.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
this forum has disgusting taste LOL

TLOU 2, the GOTG, and by far the most impressive, discussed and groundbreaking game of the year, is voted as most disappointing game of the year... because JoEl aNd AbBy. While cookie cutter shit like GoT is praised. Just sad man :messenger_weary:

goes to show, for my tastes, the only person I can rely on for reviews is myself and ... Greg Miller :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
After 45 hours or Cyberpunk ... The Last of Us 2 is my fucking game of the year... and that is after platinuming Ghost of Tsushima ..

MiguelItUp

Yakuza: Like a Dragon? Really? It's one of my favorites this year, lmao. I guess because of the gameplay changes?

I voted for Avengers and TLOU2.

I had a feeling that Avengers was going to be awful, but the kid in me that grew up loving Marvel comics wanted it to be decent. Wasn't expecting it to be an awful GaaS mess until development was nearing release and it just looked worse and worse. Just felt like a passionless cash-in.

TLOU2 is beloved by a lot of people, but for me, it just didn't hit where I was hoping it would. Especially after how memorable TLOU was for me. 2 was in improvement in a ton of areas, but the areas that meant the most to me were where it failed the most.

I didn't care for or play a ton of titles in the list, but the ones I did I felt worked out more than fine. Yakuza and Cyberpunk 2077 have been some of my favorites this year.

Really enjoyed Resident Evil 3 as well, just wish it had more content there. But I couldn't complain when the price tag was $30.

Predator Hunting Grounds was all I played for a large chunk because I'm a huge Alien and Predator fan. I thought it was fine, could've been better sure, but it was cool enough for a bit. Just curious to see what the end product will be when they're done with adding all the content.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Wrong. I've played it on PS5 and PC.

Ignoring performance and bugs, the game is still largely disappointing to me.

Yeah, I'm coming round to your way of thinking.

I actually think I had less fun with it than Fallout 76. Now, I appreciate I am in the minority when it comes to Fallout 76, but still.....

Interfectum

The performance and bugs are clouding your judgment of the game

LOL.

"bu bu pivotal parts of the gaming experience are clouding your judgment of the game."

In regards to TLOU2 one could say your political and personal biases are clouding your judgment of the game.

In reality, it doesn't matter. Whether it be pacing/story reasons or game breaking, immersion breaking glitches... if that effects your enjoyment then it matters all the same.

Last edited:

bxrz

LOL.

"bu bu pivotal parts of the gaming experience are clouding your judgment of the game."

In regards to TLOU2 one could say your political and personal biases are clouding your judgment of the game.

In reality, it doesn't matter. Whether it be pacing/story reasons or game breaking, immersion breaking glitches... if that effects your enjoyment then it matters all the same.
TLOU2 killed a main character and then forced you to play as the killer. They “Game of Thrones Season 8’d” the story

Phobos Base

Only one I've played from the list is RE3, so that wins by default. Whilst I did enjoy the game, it felt like such a missed opportunity when you think about what could have been done with the story and Nemesis.

Interfectum

TLOU2 killed a main character and then forced you to play as the killer. They “Game of Thrones Season 8’d” the story

And to a lot of people CP is an unplayable mess that has immersion breaking glitches. Both are valid reasons for disappointment.

Mr Hyde

Deadly Premonition 2.

A complete failure and a far cry from the excellent original. The plot went nowhere and the technical issues were just annoying instead of charming. Was so pumped for a sequel and then experiencing this turd was deeply disappointing.

"GUYS IT'S LIKE IF BOWSER KILLED MARIO THEN YOU HAD TO PLAY AS BOWSER" - oh shit, so like... the first interesting Mario game in ages? "YOU DON'T GET IT, IT'S LIKE THEY KILLED MY VIRTUAL DAD AND MADE ME PLAY AS A SCARY LOOKING WOMAN WHO KILLED MY VIRTUAL DAD" Dude, I'll never get past how infantile the critiques of TLOU II are, the whole point was how much you cared about Joel, if you didn't it wouldn't be worth doing. You were SUPPOSED to have trouble with the idea of playing with Abby, but you were also then meant to question why you were so comfortable playing Joel, think about the things he did before you took control over him, the things he did even when you had control, think about what you'll justify just because you're playing a character. Or I dunno, just whine like a baby that the game isn't standard fluff.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Stop with these silly, grade 2 level arguments, please. Thats called risk taking, depth, and being unpredictable. Main characters die all the time in media. Have you literally seen nothing else? GOOD LORD

Cyberpunk literally doesn't even fucking work. The AI is worse than GTA 3, and it absolutely did not live up to the hype, its not the game they advertised.

johntown

Banned
TLOU2 game is pure trash compared to the first one. Really disappointed in the direction it took the story it choose to tell.

Avengers would the other one. So much potential but I expect it more from games like that but was really hoping for another superhero game like the Batman series which is actually good.

Toe-Knee

I dont hate TLOU2, in fact from gameplay perspective its better than original game every way but its still heavy story game, from that perspective the story just didn't work for me same way the original game did.
Same. That plus no factions this long after launch makes it my most disappointing game easily

Amiga

Yakuza: Like a Dragon? Really? It's one of my favorites this year, lmao. I guess because of the gameplay changes?

I voted for Avengers and TLOU2.

I had a feeling that Avengers was going to be awful, but the kid in me that grew up loving Marvel comics wanted it to be decent. Wasn't expecting it to be an awful GaaS mess until development was nearing release and it just looked worse and worse. Just felt like a passionless cash-in.

TLOU2 is beloved by a lot of people, but for me, it just didn't hit where I was hoping it would. Especially after how memorable TLOU was for me. 2 was in improvement in a ton of areas, but the areas that meant the most to me were where it failed the most.

I didn't care for or play a ton of titles in the list, but the ones I did I felt worked out more than fine. Yakuza and Cyberpunk 2077 have been some of my favorites this year.

Really enjoyed Resident Evil 3 as well, just wish it had more content there. But I couldn't complain when the price tag was $30.

Predator Hunting Grounds was all I played for a large chunk because I'm a huge Alien and Predator fan. I thought it was fine, could've been better sure, but it was cool enough for a bit. Just curious to see what the end product will be when they're done with adding all the content.

the game doesn't have to be bad, it could be good but below expectations.

Yoboman

Yea but that doesn't apply to me cause I don't own hardware that came out in 2013

Maybe if the villain was interesting or had any kind of buildup
The entire first game with what happens to the Fireflies is build up to what happens to Joel in the second

Bkdk

Last of us 2 and avengers. Never have high hopes though they still disappoint big time in the end.

Top Bottom