• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biggest Disappointing Games of 2020

What are the biggest disappointing games of 2020

• Avengers

Votes: 161 43.2%
  • TLOU2

Votes: 150 40.2%
  • Torchlight 3

Votes: 31 8.3%
  • Watch Dogs Legion

Votes: 51 13.7%
  • Resident Evil 3

Votes: 52 13.9%
  • FIFA 21

Votes: 14 3.8%
  • AC Valhalla

Votes: 23 6.2%
  • Predator: Hunting Grounds

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • Destiny BL

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • Yakuza LaD

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 39 10.5%

• Total voters

INC

Out that list, its predator for me. Yet another wasted predator license

Most will say TLoU2, but the production value is so insane, I cant say its disappointing (also fuck abbys story)

Alan Wake

- Resident Evil 3 was way too short compared to the amount of content in RE2. I would've been pissed buying the game at full price.

I agree on this one. The game isn't much fun either. I started playing REmake 2 again yesterday and gosh, what a cool game that is, at least the first few hours are excellent. After that REmake 3 felt even more disappointing.

R3make was an enormous disappointment. Capcom had been 2-for-2 with RE remakes, and the series was on an upward trajectory with RE7 and RE2make. I didn't see this coming, but maybe I should have. RE3 seemed to be an afterthought for Capcom back then, and that remained true for the remake. It's a shame, really; on paper, a remake of RE3 should be the ultimate RE game. It's the numbered classic RE game that stood to gain the most from a remake (RE1, RE2 and RE4 were already considered classics; RE3 was never held in that same regard).

Instead, it's a pretty half-hearted sequel to RE2make rather than a remake of RE3, that doesn't really improve on the original in any meaningful way outside of the presentation. Nemesis was a total letdown - especially when you consider how successful they were with Mr. X in the RE2 remake - as was their reinterpretation of Raccoon City. RE3 was known for its challenging puzzles; those were cut, as were some of the original game's notable locations and monsters. At least we got yet another sewer level, though!

ILHASS

Resident Evil 3. Original is one of my favorite resident evil game, and they just cut so many essential things..it still hurts..

Fbh

TLOU2 for sure. I didn't hate it like others but it was a big disappointment nonetheless.

On the story front I just didn't particularly enjoy it. Without getting into heavy spoilers, the world of TLOU is just another generic post apocalypse world among many similar ones. Yet despite that, the original game had elements which still made me really enjoy its world and story....and many of those elements are lost in part 2.

Additionally, while the gameplay was better on paper, I think the game was just too long and stretched out, with some pretty bad pacing too. There are some parts of the core gameplay loop, like the scavenging, which I think work well when they are like 50% of a 15 hours experience. But when they are 50% of a 30 hours one they just end up getting tiresome. The combat encounters also ended up blending together by the end as IMO the game didn't introduce enough new mechanics, locations and enemy variety to justify twice the length.

And finally, they removed the awesome multiplayer of the original. They justified it by saying the single player was much bigger than the first one, but ironically (at least to me) that added length ended up being one of my main issues with the game.

Valentino

I don't know why people like Druckmann don't just make movies if that's what they clearly want to be doing. To me, The Last Of Us 2 barely qualified as a game at all.

I thought it was pretty apparent that story telling in gaming is on a different level to a film experience. He could very well go make a movie, but why can't we have stories like Druckmans in games though? We can easily flip the statement and say "I don't know why people like you care if Druckman is telling this story. You obviously know Naughty Dog make blockbuster styled games like this"

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
you gotta be fucking kidding me...
Nah you've got to be kidding me. What was so good about it? I dont understand the praise. Its a mediocre game that looked pretty. Sucker Punch has lots to learn before theyre up there with Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Insomniac. No one can tell me what they loved about it either other than "GOT good, TLOU 2 bad"

the world was barren and empty as fuck, another generic open world experience carried by repetitive side missions and AVERAGE (weak) ass combat and poor writing.

Last edited:
You have the Avengers IP and you mess it up so bad it's said in the same breath as Anthem. (While also removing development from two proven franchises with Deus Ex and Tomb Raider.)

Another case study in "Game Design 101 - What not to Do."

All the people voting TLOU2 when Avengers and Predator are on here are getting side eyed from me

diffusionx

Gold Member
All the people voting TLOU2 when Avengers and Predator are on here are getting side eyed from me

Disappointing is a function of expectation. GAAS capeshit just sounds like garbage to me from the jump. Whereas TLOU2 is a sequel to one of the best games on PS3 and became a dour, tedious, joyless slog through an identity politics nightmare.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
lol sure. Also either quote my full post or at least don't change it by putting full stop where i'm continuing my sentence. It gives a very different meaning and makes you look like a douche.
'For various reasons' doesn't really add much. And it doesn't change the fact that you're disappointed in games you haven't even played.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Very honest poll, most of the TLOU2 votes are from xbots and people who cannot handle a story about women.

For me it was Destiny 2 BL, what a turd. Repetitive grindfest with 1/2 the content removed and what little was added is boring after a few days.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Very honest poll, most of the TLOU2 votes are from xbots and people who cannot handle a story about women.
200.gif

I guess Predator. I wasn't hyped for most of those games to start with, so they couldn't disappoint.

TLOU2 is fantastic and exceeded my expectations. But, I didn't watch out of context spoilers ahead of time and went in with an open mind.

Desudzer10

TLOU2 isn't a bad game. But coming from the game of the generation to a slap in the face story and forced narratives, it makes it disappointing. If it was called something different with different characters, it wouldn't be hated at all imo.

I saw the pre-release leak stuff for TLOU2 and thought I would hate it, but I ended up liking it quite a bit. It wasn't the masterpiece that TLOU 1 was but I still don't find myself that disappointed.

I think my vote goes to Spelunky 2. Not because the game is that bad, but SpelunkyHD is probably in my top 3 games all time, and depending on my mood I think of it as my #1 all time. Spelunky 2 I play a game or two, which reminds me of how much fun I'm not having, and I put it down for another week or two until I give it another go.

Mabdia

I can't say that tlous2 was disappointment... after some trailers i wasn't expecting anything from it. And them came the leaks... and here we are. Played a little on a friend's house. Nice gameplay, bad, really bad writing. The little that i see about it, it looked as a fan fiction. That's sad. TLoU is one of the best games i have ever played. And to me the franchise ended there.

About Resident Evil 3. I liked it. Never managed to finish the original. Got the remake and it was a decent game. Not as good as the RE2r. But it was a fun game.

The one that disappointed me this year was Final Fantasy 7. I really loved the original and to me, the game should not become an action/hack'n'slash game. Really loved all the hours that i put in the original, the setting, the characters, materias, quests and most of all, the battle system.

If Square Enix wanted to change the game play aspect, they should have done something like Eternal Sonata, Persona or even Neptunia with the battle system. Damn! Even something as the battle from FFXIII would be better.

But it looks like people like when Final Fantasy does not plays like Final Fantasy.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
Avengers was massively underwhelming, should have been much more.

I'm a bit mixed on The Last of Us 2. From a technical and gameplay standpoint, it was great. The story really let it down. I'll mention it because the story is really important for enjoyment. Having the best gameplay but an underwhelming story brought it down.

Last edited by a moderator:

sublimit

Banned
'For various reasons' doesn't really add much. And it doesn't change the fact that you're disappointed in games you haven't even played.
I have a long history with both franchises so i know exactly what i like and don't like as a gamer with 30 years + of gaming experience. We're living in an age that we have more information than we need in order to know if something attracts us or not before we play it.
I know that with RE3 they butcgered whole sections of the original and that itself is very disappointing. I don't need to play it in order to know that and be disappointed. With Yakuza LaD i hate the main character design so much that i really can't stand him.I also don't like the change of the combat system. As i said in my previous post that you removed i have been following the series since 2008 so i have the right to be disappointed of changes that remove things i used to like.

I'm not saying that RE3 or Yakuza LaD are good or bad but i have all the right in the world to say if i'm disappointed or not by changes that are so obvious to a long time fan without having to play the games.

Last edited:

Affinity

Avengers for me. Was hyped despite the poor reception early on(last E3?). I chalked it up to people expecting too much after End Game. I expected a Spider-Man style game with an open world filled with all of our favorite comic villains. I didn't understand the lack of hype around the game, but I also had no clue it was an Athem-style gaming as a service until later in its development. It still *looked* good in my opinion. Then you got to see the implementation and its just dog shit. Such potential wasted. Somehow Fortnite implemented Marvel characters better. Big sigh.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I thought it was pretty apparent that story telling in gaming is on a different level to a film experience. He could very well go make a movie, but why can't we have stories like Druckmans in games though? We can easily flip the statement and say "I don't know why people like you care if Druckman is telling this story. You obviously know Naughty Dog make blockbuster styled games like this"
My issue isn't with the content of game. It's with the design of the game. You can, and should, have stories like the one in The Last Of Us 2.

My problem is that it barely qualifies as a game. It is completely disinterested in player agency, and the interactivity of the title functions mainly as a device upon which to force feed the player endless cutscenes. It didn't feel like I had any control over anything that was happening to the protagonist, and thinking about any course of option was basically a waste of my time, because there was one predetermined path through the entire story, and that was non-negotiable due to the overreliance on cinematic cutscenes.

So, you can certainly flip the statement all you like. 'You obviously know Naughty Dog make blockbuster styled games like this' is correct. Doesn't invalidate anything I've said. And, it was one of my big disappointments of the year.

Cold Steel 4. The story is getting ridiculous, Rean is Jesus, why the fuck won't anyone stay dead ESPECIALLY Crow, bloated cast, cutscenes that are Kojima long but without the Kojima director.

But Tio and KeA save it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
WarCraft III: Reforged, easily. One of the best games of all time ruined in one of the worst remakes of a game ever made. Whoever worked on the remake clearly didn't understand WarCraft III nor did they understand RTS games.

I remember the shit show around this at release...did Blizzard never fix it?

Ten_Fold

TLOUS2 easily was the biggest disappointment. The first game was soo good an felt really well done, the second game went full on woke SJW shit. Honestly I wouldn’t care if they did the full sjw in a new IP that wasn’t tlous. Avengers was a good runner up though. Idk how square fucked that up.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Definitely Avengers for me. It all started with the Spider-Man [permanent] exclusive nonsense and never really recovered from there. For the game to do as bad as it did while featuring Marvel characters and IP is just really damning.

Hudo

I remember the shit show around this at release...did Blizzard never fix it?
Not really. Only small fixes that didn't amount to anything. The fucking worst part of this whole disaster is that you now have to jump through hoops in order to play the original WarCraft III because if you download WarCraft III from Battle.net/Blizzard directly, you always get the Reforged version.

They should re-remake the game. Scrap Reforged and start new, this time with people on the team who give a shit. Or scrap Reforged and put back the original game.

Hate to be that guy but given the hype of Cyberpunk it may quickly become the most dispointing game of the year the hype surrounding it and the build up towards launch can quickly become a negative one once people get their hands on it.

Re3 just cause of it being one of my.fave games. Walked away feeling like I'd played a horrible fan recreation of re3 with sorta cool graphics smh

I didnt buy Avengers but id say it was disappointing as a comic book fan to wait so long for someone to get behind it and they made it a gaas type cash grab. The brand wouldve caused good sales if they'd just did something consumer friendly.

Im forcing myself to finish Watch Dogs Legion(literally got it paused while i type this) but this feels like such a huge step back after Part 2....The game just feels dead and empty even with all the bullshit hovering around and npcs...did Ubi even try to get the gamer to follow the story in this smh

Last edited:

the_master

We all know exactly where this threads headed but the reality is it's Resident Evil 3.

1. Completely turns the open non-linear aspect of the original game into what is basically a COD-style corridor shooter, the "puzzles" were jokes.

2. Removes entire chunks of gameplay from the original game and instead replaces it with a multiplayer game that was pretty much dead on arrival

3. Feels more like a platinum style action game with guns, not surprising considering it was made by a B-team of platinum developers who worked on MGS: Rising.

3a. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, but it would've been cool to have them reboot Maximo or something and instead just having the RE2:Remake team continue their work.

4. Criminally short, should've been 40 dollars on launch. If you were pretty skilled you could accidentally speed run the game on your first try as we saw with a lot of people.

5. All the upgrades from Nemesis could be gotten from 2 main encounters

6. We see Jill in a good form for the first time in 20 years and the return was quickly forgotten, also locking the original Riot Grrrl/Girl Power costume as pre-order DLC and resold later was a shit move and they knew it.
RE3 is a Platinum game, you say?
Well now I am interested!
(For real, I am not an RE fan and didn't follow this)

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
TLOU2!

Why is Avengers so high? anybody who had expectiations for that game to begin with was crazy

Besides its like a video game law that Avengers games are always bad

silentstorm

Avengers, AAA title based on the franchise coming from Square should have been amazing!

Even making it multiplayer or always online, while disappointing, should have still made something great, it doesn't help that the last Spider-Man games were so good they became actual exclusives, as in, worth stopping from coming to other platforms as far as Sony is concerned, the Batman Arkham games were liked and the Injustice games are considered actually good fighting games, or Marvel Ultimate Alliance having fans.

Meaning, over the years we've had actually good licensed superhero games, which did not help the hype at all, and then Avengers comes out, based on a really big team that became amazingly popular thanks to the MCU...and the game is so mediocre most people didn't buy it or play it, and many at best just saw the story on Youtube, if they even cared enough to do even that, that was such a waste of a license it's downright embarassing.

Top Bottom