• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biggest Fuckup at Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizz

I can remember a big fuck up at work, though it wasn't completely my fault. I worked in a toner warehouse and I was on a forklift ready to load a pallet into a truck out on the dock. The dock is the same floor as the warehouse and of course the bottom part of the dock is lower where the trucks back into and we dropped the mechanical metal ramp down to load the pallets of material into.

I'd say from the ramp floor to the dock floor itself is maybe 4-5 feet. The truck wasn't a big eighteen wheeler, is was a smaller truck. As I come pulling up with the forklift with the skid of material I'm looking at the truck like " this looks iffy". I asked the driver "you sure it's cool for me to load the skid in the truck with this lift?" and he was like "yeah, it's cool".

So I start going into the truck and can feel it wobbling around. I'm thinking that's not good. But I enter the truck, drop the skid and line it up squarely in the truck. I start backing out and get the back wheels of the lift onto the ramp and keep hitting the gas pedal to back out completely. Then I feel the truck slowly start moving forward. I look down and start seeing a gap between the ramp and the back of the truck. Needless to say as soon as I felt the lift start rolling I jumped the fuck out of it onto the dock as the driver is yelling "yo, jump off, jump off!". Boom, the forklift rolls right off the ramp and onto the floor with a crash. After that, I was always kind of wary loading pallets onto trucks of that size with the lift. I would see trucks coming in that size and I grabbed a pallet jack instead.

Looks like the driver had forgotten to put on the brake.

I can honestly say I've never had a big fuckup at work.. don't even think I've had any "small" fuckups.

My co-workers sit around talking about how they've fucked up the computing systems they've worked on.. they've all done it here at my current job as well.. I really just don't "get it".. pay more fucking attention.. make checklists.. check them twice, etc. Attention to detail is essential if you are "in charge" of easily fucked up things.

ronito said:
You know I hear this stuff a lot. A lesser example was a few days ago I went to Target to buy some cat food and other stuff. I put my stuff on the counter and the cashier started to scan the stuff I propped up the 40 lb bag of cat food for her to scan she kept scanning the other stuff. My daughter even said, "Miss, you forgot to scan the cat food." and I pointed out again the cat food. Cashier either didn't hear us or didn't care. In short, free cat food.

I'm pretty sure that she just didn't give a fuck. I really wonder how much companies lose because they piss off their employees.

Yeah, wasn't the only time too. It was an honest mistake, but one I could have fixed but decided fuck it. I chased up a $100 overpayment off person who made my life hell till I got it back once, too. As no one really checked my work, I could have done anything I want with a multi million dollar payroll. I'm sure some of the more dodgy fools in that place did some bad things.

The Skater said:
My register was $15 short one day on my first week when I worked as a cashier. I once accidentally dropped a $70 fruit tray I was carrying out to a customer.
Alucrid said:
I dropped a $60 fruit salad tray. Was able to piece it back together and only had to use a few berries to finish it off.
GAF has a fruit problem.

Was working for a major video game website and we recieve new Assassin's Creed CG trailer, the one that was supposed to be unveiled and show at Ubi conference during E3. We got it 2 hours before the conference with an embargo set right at the moment the conference would end.

I see it on the Content Mananger System from our regional branch and it was online. If they do it, I can do it to. Everybody is happy until Ubi calls our main branch within minutes, asking us why is there their embargoed trailer, with our watermark, all over Youtube ?

My boss asks me and I'm like " Yeah, but it was a mistake, it wasn't online for more than a couple of seconds... " and he covered my ass.

Until a lame and really inexperienced regional branch apologize to everybody, Ubi and us, because they had it online for severals minutes already. They got hit from the edge of the light stick when they probably did less than me.

fallagin

A customer gave me a 100$ bill, I fucked up the change. The dude came back screaming at me, I cant really blame him. It must've looked like I was trying to pocket money. Any way he wanted me to fix it, but another worker did it for me instead. Apparently they did it wrong as well, and I got flamed to hell and back until a manager came and did it. Needless to say I wasn't there for very long.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
While doing some freelance work for a company. While we're on a meeting with the boss of the company, I looked at a document and I noticed some silly English mistakes on one paragraph. I laughed and commented "This is such a funny mistake... who is the one making this anyways?"

Turned out it was the boss of the company who made it.

Ubermatik said:
Gave a random family a massive shared dessert once, the dick of a father just grinned and said "thanks", and began to eat it.
I know I screwed up the order, but they sat there and ate it until I realised it was the table behind who wanted it.
Had the shame of taking it off the guys who had it, apologising profusely, and getting another one made for the family who should have had it.
Took ages to prepare as well.

Shitty example in comparison to other people's here, I know, but I felt like a real twat.

You took the dessert away from them after they had already started eating it? wtf is wrong with your employer, its your fuck up you should have let them have it IMO.

mcrae

Osiris said:
I used to work on ICL mainframe computers, one night I was too lazy to do a complete shutdown (long ass 1 hour+ process) so just switched off the lights and left the system up for the night.

Next morning I came in and I knew I was in the shit as soon as I opened the door and midsummer like temperatures blasted out of the room into my face, I got the fear and sweats immediately as I knew pretty much without looking what had probably happened, the A/C had failed overnight. o_O

Totally fried the CPU unit and the HDD units, I had to initiate Disaster Recovery procedures straight away and within 4 hours a new ICL system-in-a-container was in the parking lot.

Cost of damage was finally measured well into 7 figures, approaching 8 figures.

Somehow, I kept my job, still don't know how :p
Actually, I do know, but that's another story.

do tell

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
UnluckyKate said:
Was working for a major video game website and we recieve new Assassin's Creed CG trailer, the one that was supposed to be unveiled and show at Ubi conference during E3. We got it 2 hours before the conference with an embargo set right at the moment the conference would end.

I see it on the Content Mananger System from our regional branch and it was online. If they do it, I can do it to. Everybody is happy until Ubi calls our main branch within minutes, asking us why is there their embargoed trailer, with our watermark, all over Youtube ?

My boss asks me and I'm like " Yeah, but it was a mistake, it wasn't online for more than a couple of seconds... " and he covered my ass.

Until a lame and really inexperienced regional branch apologize to everybody, Ubi and us, because they had it online for severals minutes already. They got hit from the edge of the light stick when they probably did less than me.

On a slightly similar note, a combination of screw ups (including from myself) caused my Epic Mickey review to be one of, if not, the very first reviews online, at least for the English speaking world. We had broken embargo by a few hours, and given that it wasn't particularly favourable it ended up plastered all over G0Nintendo, IGN, GameTrailers, Gamespot forums, and everywhere else.

Disney were not pleased.

yeah my biggest fuckup was getting fat too. I used to work in a mall and enjoyed a lunch of a Subway sandwich with large McDonalds fries and a giant soda. This was like every shift.

meadowrag

Banned
I broke a drinking glass once because it was slippery, covered in soap, and fell from my hands while washing dishes.
When it hit the floor, shards of glass exploded in every direction, and the head chef looked down the line and shouted "Mazel tov!"
Aaaaaaaand that's about the maximum level of professional responsibility I've ever been entrusted with.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
nVidiot_Whore said:
I really just don't "get it".. pay more fucking attention.. make checklists.. check them twice, etc. Attention to detail is essential if you are "in charge" of easily fucked up things.

Well, if your job was to post on GAF your fuckup would be to be a troll and post the opposite of what a thread asks for...

But I guess it doesn't qualify since you offer this stellar service for free!

The Lamonster said:
yeah my biggest fuckup was getting fat too. I used to work in a mall and enjoyed a lunch of a Subway sandwich with large McDonalds fries and a giant soda. This was like every shift.

haha what the hell? You went to Subway and then McDonalds?

You would have been fine just going the Jared route and sticking with one chain.

dalin80

Banned
Fitted a woodruff key the wrong way round causing it to fracture and throw the crank pulley doing £1000 of damage to a engine.

Bosses reaction- ''Mistakes happen.''

But I had been working there for 10 years with a very good record and reputation and also yes, mistakes do happen. Utterly sickening feeling though.

I lost about $100k worth of perscription medicine during my first week of working at a chemist franchise warehouse.
I sent the medicine to the wrong shop and they claimed they never received it when I realised what I'd done.
Didn't get fired though as my uncle got me the job and it was his money I had lost. They got reimbursed from insurance company though.

hayejin

You guys can add ATT for today's Iphone 4gs fuckups.
They sent activation insturction email with same order number for everyone.

DarkFlow

Banned
When I was in the army, I was the driver of a M1A2 SEP tank. As the driver I was in charge of checking the oil and putting more in if needed. Tanks tend to burn a lot of oil and it can take up to 12 cans or so to fill it up. Anyway we had been out doing Gunnery where we qualify and show how well we can blow shit up for the last week. I forgot to check the oil before we left and starting heading back to the motorpool.

Half way back the Tank makes some crazy nosies and starts going really slow then just dies. Turns out I blew up the Turbine engine, oops. One engine is upwards of $700,000 used. Luckily the engine was messed up already so I got off pretty light.

It was a fuck up, but I didnt suffer as bad as my co-worker.

At lunch we would walk across this huge parking lot to a deli on the other end, my buddy whips out a blunt and sparks it and keep stalking as we cross this thing.
We get to the deli and pause and talk for a second...then a cop comes whipping in to the deli parking lot.
Cop smelled the herb, dude I worked with had no choice but to tell him where he threw the roach. He had more bagged in his pocket and knew we were getting searched anyways.

Dude took all the blame tho, actually told the cops I had nothing to do with it and just arrived. I will admit I hit it maybe 3 times while we walked and my heart was RACING thinking I was going to jail and losing my job! Guy lost his job, got arrested etc I felt terrible about it...I had to walk back to work and go tell my supervisor he wouldnt be back from lunch..

whitehawk

Banned
chicko1983 said:
I lost about $100k worth of perscription medicine during my first week of working at a chemist franchise warehouse.
I sent the medicine to the wrong shop and they claimed they never received it when I realised what I'd done.
Didn't get fired though as my uncle got me the job and it was his money I had lost. They got reimbursed from insurance company though.
WHAT?!

GavinGT

Banned
Ages ago, I used to be a GM at a neighborhood Subway. During our lunch rush, and while our district manager was in the store helping us make sandwiches, a group of police officers came in for food. The ice in our soda fountain had a habit of getting stuck on its way out, and these guys were regulars so they knew that they could just give it the ole Fonzie punch to un-jam the ice. So, when the ice got stuck, one of the cops started smacking it to get the ice to come out. This alerted everyone in line, and they all turned around to see why this cop was punching our helpless soda fountain. I, trying my best to be personable, remarked to the other customers, "Is that the cop that beat Rodney King?". Oddly enough, my district manager didn't like the timing of my remark, and he pulled me out back and gave me a lecture on the finer points of comedic timing. He basically said, "Hey, I thought it was hilarious. I was laughing on the inside, but you can't be saying things like that in front of actual police officers."

Another time, I was making out with my girlfriend (who I scheduled to work every shift with me) in the back, when some helpful customer opened the "Employees Only" door to tell us that the medium lids were running low. Thanks dude.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Pkm said:
It was a fuck up, but I didnt suffer as bad as my co-worker.

At lunch we would walk across this huge parking lot to a deli on the other end, my buddy whips out a blunt and sparks it and keep stalking as we cross this thing.
We get to the deli and pause and talk for a second...then a cop comes whipping in to the deli parking lot.
Cop smelled the herb, dude I worked with had no choice but to tell him where he threw the roach. He had more bagged in his pocket and knew we were getting searched anyways.

Dude took all the blame tho, actually told the cops I had nothing to do with it and just arrived. I will admit I hit it maybe 3 times while we walked and my heart was RACING thinking I was going to jail and losing my job! Guy lost his job, got arrested etc I felt terrible about it...I had to walk back to work and go tell my supervisor he wouldnt be back from lunch..

As a Canadian I feel bad for you :( Unless driving (will usually get in trouble since you know, intoxicated) worst I've seen is a warning. Although while high I am paranoid as fuck when a cop is near I think the worst sitch I've had was "How much do you have on you" "One more joint officer" "Don't smoke it in public" (Gonna be legit)

In my paranoid state I figured I was fucked, didn't even take my pinner that we were in the process of smoking away (although we ditched it, didn't want to push the sitch, after we finished talking crushed it without being told to).

Maybe the worst I've seen is a guy got busted for possession but he was driving WHILE smoking and that pissed the cop off big time. Fuck'n stoners thinking its better than driving with a beer in their hand... my reaction while high is shit and would never drive while fucked up (then again I get fucked when I'm high, walking is out of my league with a good blaze)

Tetraeon

I'm a butcher and once I (carelessly) almost cut my finger off. Split my knuckle straight down to the bone. Thankfully got to the hospital in good time.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Tetraeon said:
I'm a butcher and once I (carelessly) almost cut my finger off. Split my knuckle straight down to the bone. Thankfully got to the hospital in good time.

Haha I'm so thankful I don't work with knives. I am a waiter, I give people plates and glasses... but I'm a klutz. In the past month I've had 3 severe burns, tonight I sliced my knuckle open (ironically I wasn't near anything sharp... I managed to find a dislodged screw on a smooth piece of metal and sliced my knuckle), fallen down stairs, and someone else dropped a glass and the shards went into my shoe and cut up my foot.

I would probably lose a finger a day if I worked with knives...

Rlan

Not me, but some years ago I used to work at a Coles Supermarket in Australia. Out boss decided the back area was too full, and that putting the fruit and veg extra into the freezer would be a good idea.

We lost a lot of money that day. This is also a big, old, balding dude who wears Fubu shit when he's off work.

lsslave said:
As a Canadian I feel bad for you :( Unless driving (will usually get in trouble since you know, intoxicated) worst I've seen is a warning. Although while high I am paranoid as fuck when a cop is near I think the worst sitch I've had was "How much do you have on you" "One more joint officer" "Don't smoke it in public" (Gonna be legit)

In my paranoid state I figured I was fucked, didn't even take my pinner that we were in the process of smoking away (although we ditched it, didn't want to push the sitch, after we finished talking crushed it without being told to).

Maybe the worst I've seen is a guy got busted for possession but he was driving WHILE smoking and that pissed the cop off big time. Fuck'n stoners thinking its better than driving with a beer in their hand... my reaction while high is shit and would never drive while fucked up (then again I get fucked when I'm high, walking is out of my league with a good blaze)

I'm sure in the city we might have got away with it here in the states, in fact the guy who got caught had just moved from NYC a few months before and said later when I talked to him that sparking a blunt like that wouldnt have resulted in such a swarm and a cop acting like he was busting murderers.

I once got body slammed on a hood and cuffed cause during a search of a buddies car they found an empty old dime bag under the seat. Another time made to lay on my stomache, in front of my house on the sidewalk, for giving a guy a cig. and the cops driving by and thinking it was drug related.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Pkm said:
I'm sure in the city we might have got away with it here in the states, in fact the guy who got caught had just moved from NYC a few months before and said later when I talked to him that sparking a blunt like that wouldnt have resulted in such a swarm and a cop acting like he was busting murderers.

I once got body slammed on a hood and cuffed cause during a search of a buddies car they found an empty old dime bag under the seat. Another time made to lay on my stomache, in front of my house on the sidewalk, for giving a guy a cig. and the cops driving by and thinking it was drug related.

Jesus fucking christ what is it like living in early 1940s Germany? A cigarette and they freak out like that?

Legit, where do you live? I'll believe you if you do say you're sending your messages through time and are in Germany, I really will...

Shit man...

Swag

I was fiddling around with ubuntu 11.04 on the sysadmin's laptop last week and accidently deleted a ton of data trying to fix some broken repositories, the data included our updated inventory list with Mac addresses / IPs of all the routers and switches on campus, but also the distribution of loaner hardware to all the faculty.

Didn't realise the mistake until he tried to access the hard drive to find that it was empty, good thing I'm just an intern otherwise that probably would have gotten me fired, he had to shoulder some of the blame though, giving me administrative level priveleges on an OS I'm not familiar with lol.

Will have to re-do a weeks worth of inventory.

Lucius86

Banned
I sent an email slagging off a customer to some of my colleagues, calling into question why they made such a request to us unless there was something sinister in their intentions.

Unfortunately I CC'ed in said customer. Cue a lot of firefighting.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Lucius86 said:
I sent an email slagging off a customer to some of my colleagues, calling into question why they made such a request to us unless there was something sinister in their intentions.

Unfortunately I CC'ed in said customer. Cue a lot of firefighting.

Seen a few similar of these dropped throughout this thread (someone got the negatives meant for someone else)

You know this shit wouldn't happen if people didn't badmouth other people at all, check your closet, yadda yadda yadda.

I had a rough customer tonight that people commented on around she was so bad and my response was "Eh, she is a bit mental" and let it go. And she actually REALLY got under my skin, I was genuinely upset, and I didn't go into rants.

(And since I'm commenting on this thread a bit I figure I'll drop one)

Was working at Wal Mart. Got injured catching someone falling (mid seizure) and a crowd gathered so I couldn't get out. Didn't crack their skull open thanks to me but I couldn't pull back without hitting a customer (Why do people have to be so nosy) and dislocated my wrist.

Fuckers were being dicks about me going to the hospital and I lost it and quit on the spot.

Took me a bit to find stable work, just as the economy hit the shitter... thankfully I had a bit of savings but ended up stuck living with my mom. My pride really wasn't worth it in the end, but I learned a good lesson (Lets not cut off that nose to spite the face, although face is a fucker)

elwes

The Outsider said:
I work as a projectionist, and I dropped a print of the newest Harry Potter as I was trying to move it around. It took about three hours to put back together, and fortunately, it happened after all showings were ran so I was just there until 3 in the morning fixing it. Found out the next day that one of the reels I put back on trying to fix it was upside down, so we had a few unhappy customers during the first show the next morning. Someone else fixed it pretty easily though, fortunately.

Are you me? Worked as a projectionist...during Harry Potter 4, the reel brainwrapped. Upon trying to fix it, the interior of the reel literally erupted off of the platter, and in a matter of 5 seconds, I had about 30 minutes of the movie looking like a box of old christmas tree lights. It took 2 hours to put it back together. We had that movie reel stretched all over the projection room.

I also managed to condense 10 minutes of "Ice Princess" into an area that would fill a soda can. I was breaking down the movie reel into individual cases, and the film jumped out of the motor operated winding spool and into the "gears" of the motor itself.

Another time, I started "United 93" in place of a kids movie. Yeah, a lot of parents were not pleased.

I've had fuckups at my last job, but nothing super major. A customer had an emergency outage to swap one of their servers for a different one. When I printed the email out, it didn't print right and since I was by myself and already slammed with other things that I had to do, I didn't notice that there was more to the email. I ended up swapping out three different servers because every replacement server was throwing up amber lights for other issues. When I finally realized that the email printed wrong, I saw that they wanted a specific server. When I swapped that out and things were working fine, I caught backlash because the other division of my company that handles these things thought I was dicking around because I wasn't updating them every 10 minutes on my progress. Then I responded to their slightly "testy" email and told them I was by myself. THEN, I got backlash for that because my coworker left early without telling my boss (which was something he left out when he left work) and my boss caught flak for not keeping track of his employees.

Everything worked out in the end, since the email printed wrong for my boss too and they all said it was a mistake they would've made too, and the fact that I fixed the issue made most of the fuckup moot.

I just got promoted into a much more difficult job, though...it's almost a matter of time until I mess something up. :\

My new coworker was telling me that before he moved into the position he's in now, he was told to pull a cable from one of our core switches and move it somewhere else. He misread the asset tag and instead of pulling it from (ex:) "coreswitch123," he pulled it from "coreswitchspr123," where "spr" stands for "Sprint" and that switch controlling the ISP internet connectivity for our entire company. When he pulled the cable, he effectively knocked our entire company (including all 200 companies that we host servers for) offline.

This was 1 week before he became a network engineer. I pray I never do something like that. D:

Angry Fork

Tripped, fell and dropped about 25 piled up clean dishes on my 1st day as a bellboy in an expensive restaurant. This happened in a large party room area where there were about 15 tables, music playing, 5 people at each table etc.

When everything crashed the music stopped and everyone looked directly at me. It was horrifying. I shudder thinking about it to this day and I can laugh about it now but the embarrassment is unparalleled. I think I only broke maybe 4 or 5 plates though the rest were still kind of piled together but on the floor. There were a few plates in my hand I put them on a table near me without looking at anyone and the other bellboys there helped pick everything up and spared me the embarrassment of having to pick up the mess in front of everyone. I ended up cutting my arm apparently which I didn't notice and got blood all over the left cuff of the shirt/uniform (which was the restaurants not mine).

I didn't get in trouble for it. I guess the manager guy felt bad more than anything since it was my first day, I think I was 16 or 17. I ended up getting moved to the bathroom as the kid who gives towels and stuff for people to dry their hands. I stayed there for 2 days before quitting and telling myself I'd never get a restaurant job again lol. It seems every possible position in that industry is it's own stressful nightmare.

I somehow clocked out for my lunch break on at 12:00 am on December 31, 1899 today lol, kinda funny seeing the computer say "Your Shift: -97,xxx hours".

But yeah, my biggest actual fuck ups came in the form of personal injuries...frostbite, electrocution, and many burns and cuts.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Angry Fork said:
Tripped, fell and dropped about 25 piled up clean dishes on my 1st day as a bellboy in an expensive restaurant. This happened in a large party room area where there were about 15 tables, music playing, 5 people at each table etc.

When everything crashed the music stopped and everyone looked directly at me. It was horrifying. I shudder thinking about it to this day and I can laugh about it now but the embarrassment is unparalleled. I think I only broke maybe 4 or 5 plates though the rest were still kind of piled together but on the floor. There were a few plates in my hand I put them on a table near me without looking at anyone and the other bellboys there helped pick everything up and spared me the embarrassment of having to pick up the mess in front of everyone. I ended up cutting my arm apparently which I didn't notice and got blood all over the left cuff of the shirt/uniform (which was the restaurants not mine).

I didn't get in trouble for it. I guess the manager guy felt bad more than anything since it was my first day, I think I was 16 or 17. I ended up getting moved to the bathroom as the kid who gives towels and stuff for people to dry their hands. I stayed there for 2 days before quitting and telling myself I'd never get a restaurant job again lol. It seems every possible position in that industry is it's own stressful nightmare.

It is stressful and chaotic and exhausting work, but it is also the most fun you can ever have in a job that I have experienced.

Because of the demands and stress of the job there is, in any good restaurant, a "family" atmosphere among the staff.

Rocwell

I work at a local video store. One night after closing shop while driving down the freeway I realized that I had forgotten to turn on the security alarm. After debating a bit with myself on whether or not to go back and turn it on
turn my 30 min commute into an hour y/n?
I decide to head back and do it. Upon arriving I realize that the front door of the store had been unlocked for the past 15-20 minutes with no alarm on. And there are movies sitting on the counter that hadn't been there when I left. Fortunately everything else seems to be in order. I turn the alarm on, lock the door and go home stressing the fuck out for being such an airhead.

A few days later my boss asked me why I stayed open an hour later than I needed to. And I said "What?? I did??? Must have been a brain fart HAHAHA daylight savings or something I guess HAHAHA!" and that was the end of that. The drive home after work was excruciating for the next month just doing mental gut checks of "FUCK did I remember to lock the damn door this time? Am I SURE??"

i work at an amc theaters

i always feel bad when i'm having a bad day because i'm not really good at hiding it.

worst day was probably coming in during a pregnancy scare.

quite possibly one of the worst days of my life (one of our tests was positive)

Lucius86

Banned
lsslave said:
Seen a few similar of these dropped throughout this thread (someone got the negatives meant for someone else)

You know this shit wouldn't happen if people didn't badmouth other people at all, check your closet, yadda yadda yadda.

I had a rough customer tonight that people commented on around she was so bad and my response was "Eh, she is a bit mental" and let it go. And she actually REALLY got under my skin, I was genuinely upset, and I didn't go into rants.

That's true, unfortunately sometimes at work you need to vent from frustrations or whatever - a lot of that is through emails. It wasn't a terrible email, and to be honest in this instance I raised valid points, but it was poorly worded thanks to my frustrations.

So basically I showed the customer how pissed off I was getting.

Cereal KiIIer said:
I broke a $16 000 fiber line.

No big deal, that's what fusion splicers are for!

Along these lines: I designed a fiber ring for my metro lan and in a move of incredible sleepiness and fat fingering, spec'd out 50 micron multi-mode fiber (top distance is roughly 300 meters, rather than single mode (miles)......got it installed, incorrectly....then spent 50k on some mode conditioning fiber optic jumpers which also didn't work....then another 150k on the correct single mode fiber and tearing out of the incorrect install.

I did not lose my job, but I now have to work with a "consultant" on my bid specs.

Good times!

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Lucius86 said:
That's true, unfortunately sometimes at work you need to vent from frustrations or whatever - a lot of that is through emails. It wasn't a terrible email, and to be honest in this instance I raised valid points, but it was poorly worded thanks to my frustrations.

So basically I showed the customer how pissed off I was getting.

I get you man, sometimes I lose it. Less than I used to because I don't like being negative.

I found a better way of venting though, and I am not even kidding. Tonight was awful for me, I am recovering from an injury/illness led month and am financially in the toilet (Torn hamstring, sinus infection, infected tooth that was getting to the point I was in danger, followed by a pneumonia that has me coughing up blood... in the span of 1 month) and now that I am well enough to work (blood still an issue when I cough... tore my throat earlier in the day and I had a mouth full of blood for about an hour which sucked ass) there was a scheduling error and I have 2 days next week. Figure "fuck it, make as MUCH as I can while I have shifts" and got some pretty sketchy tables.

My insides are ripping me apart, some of the people I served were some of the worst people I've ever met (someone who yells at me because I can't just give them free shit when they want it is about my breaking point... "I'm really sorry that I can't just give you a free appetizer and dessert just because you want it" wouldn't have sounded right so I just said "I'm sorry" and walked away).

Through all this, I kept my spirits high by joking around, making other people's days better. Smiling, being happy, and you know, I felt a LOT better because of it.

If I'd have bitched I'd have lightened the load, brought someone else down a bit, but it still would have been eating me up. Instead I played, goofed off, and smiled non stop. A bit of "I am so fucked" slipped out to one of em but I also made the night a non-stop joke with that same person for the high notes.

When you're upset go and make someone else happy, you will feel magical for it!

AniHawk

EatChildren said:
On a slightly similar note, a combination of screw ups (including from myself) caused my Epic Mickey review to be one of, if not, the very first reviews online, at least for the English speaking world. We had broken embargo by a few hours, and given that it wasn't particularly favourable it ended up plastered all over G0Nintendo, IGN, GameTrailers, Gamespot forums, and everywhere else.

Disney were not pleased.
on the other hand, you did the world a great service, and should be commended for your efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom