• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Clinton and Sexual Assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
As a kid, my parents staunchly defended Bill Clinton. There were claims of sexual harrassment and assault. I dunno if the guy did any of it. I don't even really remember the specifics, but there was more than just affairs.

I don't think Republicans bringing it up again would get much traction. However, I have seen some of my liberal friends (the loudest one a staunch Sanders supporter) mentioning it more and more. Recently, a woman who says Clinton raped her in the 70s called out Hillary for trying to silence her and it made some waves.

I know many of us here are liberal and none (that I know of) are psychics... Still, I wonder, is there enough smoke there for a liberal led "twitter assault" to happen? It's not as many people as Bill Cosby had come out, but I still wonder if it'll get some play in 2016. I feel like Democrats are easy to stoke on this issue.

I think it's important to frame this conversation as a grown-up discussion about a hypothetical. None of us really know what happened and it's mostly old news so please don't freak out.

Anyway, Democrat GAF - are you conflicted at all about Bill Clinton? Do you think the old accusations will be any more potent this election cycle?

Quick Ref: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_misconduct_allegations_against_Bill_Clinton

EDIT: I asked my dad about this today and he said, "I'm pretty sure that lady who said she was raped was found to have been paid by the Republicans"

I didn't want to get into it, so I just was like, "Hem... Didn't know that. Crazy."

But then he surprised me with, "You never know though, every rich and powerful man from the 70s and 80s probably did some shit that would make our skin crawl."

He is close to 60... But had a mohawk. I thought that was interesting considering how much my dad hates conservatives.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
So how many women will it take to come out for us to act like we know he did it and crucify him?
I mean, that's part of the question right? I feel like he probably did some bad shit. I feel a little icky about him - but who knows?

I feel ickier about Trump, Cruz or Carson than Hillary though so....

hidys

I remember reading about some of this in Christopher Hitchens' book on Clinton.

Some really fucked up stuff.

ItIsOkBro

I've seen this going around

CYE2YUsWsAAryZI.jpg

Ri'Orius

There's not really any question he sexually abused Paula Jones at least.

Wiki says he "propositioned and exposed himself to her. " Does that really qualify as sexual abuse? Seems to me that sexual harassment is the more appropriate term. /shrug

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Wiki says he "propositioned and exposed himself to her. " Does that really qualify as sexual abuse? Seems to me that sexual harassment is the more appropriate term. /shrug
I think that'd get me on a list at the very least - but I dunno.

CDX

Still, I wonder, is there enough smoke there for a liberal led "twitter assault" to happen? It's not as many people as Bill Cosby had come out, but I still wonder if it'll get some play in 2016

Unlike Cosby who was able to keep things mostly out of the public. Bill Clinton's issues were made extremely public by the Republicans back in the 90s.

Monica Lewinsky, Paula Jones, Gennifer Flowers, ect. are all old familiar names.

Everybody knows all about them. Like it or not, it seems everybody (except for maybe the youngest millennials) made up their minds how they feel already.

Retreading old 90s attacks, IMO isn't going to work very well now. Unlike Cosby there will be no shocking surprising revelations here. The Republicans and Ken Starr certainly tried their hardest and spent millions in 90s trying to find something big, and basically all they got was Monica and that blue dress.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Which is a shame, since Bill Clinton is a rock star piece of human garbage.

Why people are lining up to support another entry in that dynasty over the much more human and clean Bernie Sanders is a reflection on our culture of "vote for the most popular person you sort of agree with"

Some of those pardons make my skin crawl, and many tie directly back to Hillary.

EthanC

Banned
I was in my early teens when the scandal broke, I don't remember anyone but Lewinsky.

Wiki seems to have a bit of smoke, though.

He was never accused of sexually assaulting her. I recall a bunch of allegations when he was a politician in Arkansas. Mostly I remember skits on SNL involving Phil Hartman playing Clinton being driven around Arkansas hitting on women.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't think it's productive to get caught up in issues like this.

Clinton never drugged any woman or forced his way onto them. He may not win any husband of the year awards, but he ain't no rapist.

120v

the clinton = cosby thing is a meme dredged up by some gop operative somewhere... probably going to be this cycle's version of bill ayers, muslim schooling, ect

don't fall for it

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I assume if there was validity to the accusations the Republicans would have been all over it back in the 90s. They wanted it to be true very badly.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I don't think it's productive to get caught up in issues like this.

Clinton never drugged any woman or forced his way onto them. He may not win any husband of the year awards, but he ain't no rapist.
Productive? Caught up? I'm 30 years old - I can take it. We'd just talk about Star Wars and video games otherwise.

If you want to contribute to the discussion, I ask: Is there a reason you so confidently don't believe the women who claim to have been assaulted by Clinton? Like, at least woman has insisted for decades that he raped her. It feels gross to just say, "He ain't no rapist" without elaborating. I dunno.

the clinton = cosby thing is a meme dredged up by some gop operative somewhere... probably going to be this cycle's version of bill ayers, muslim schooling, ect

don't fall for it

Don't fall for what exactly? My own feelings?

Productive? Caught up? I'm 30 years old - I can take it. We'd just talk about Star Wars and video games otherwise.

If you want to contribute to the discussion, I ask: Is there a reason you so confidently don't believe the women who claim to have been assaulted by Clinton? Like, at least woman has insisted for decades that he raped her. It feels gross to just say, "He ain't no rapist" without elaborating. I dunno.

How about the lack of any meaningful evidence in the wiki you yourself linked? Seems like the only thing he was ever at fault for was being unfaithful and we sure as hell already knew that.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
How about the lack of any meaningful evidence in the wiki you yourself linked?
I think you have me confused with someone with a strong stance on it. The link wasn't meant to be any kind of evidence one way or another. Just aquick reference for people who are younger basically.

Are you saying that there isn't enough proof associated with Juanita Broaddrick's claims for you personally lose any faith in the Clintons? Cuz that's fine.

Blowing off the entire subject of conversation as unproductive just struck me as odd in a place where I come to not be productive.

I'm slightly less certain, but it doesn't change how I'd vote or anything.

gogosox82

I think at this point, most people have made up their minds as to how they feel about Clinton. It would take probably another scandal for people to their minds and think more critically about how they perceive him. Personally, do I think its possible he raped a woman in his past? Yes but with no evidence I'm willing to give him the benefit. Its also worth pointing out that no republican operative has found any hard evidence linking him to sexually assaulting or raping any woman in the last 40 years and its not like they didn't try.

I think it's a discussion worth having, the man has done some questionable things in his past. Whether it's fair to judge Hilarly by them is a totally different question

It's disgusting to see it brought up by Donald Trump, a man who's ex-wife accused him of violent sexual assault with his campaign's defense literally being "it's not rape if you're married." I don't know why that's not brought up more.

Goodstyle

Nooo....

Why'd I have to click into this thread. Part of me thought I'd read about the insightful things Bill would have to say about sexual assault, but deep down I knew that wouldn't be the case :(.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
But then he surprised me with, "You never know though, every rich and powerful man from the 70s and 80s probably did some shit that would make our skin crawl."

Your dad is right, but none of this is really relevant to Hillary's campaign.

Juanita Broaddrick's story changed a few times. I'm not saying I know for a fact she's lying, but she isn't very credible, IMO.

If I knew for an absolute fact that Bill was a rapist, I'd want Hillary to divorce him. Then I'd still vote for Hillary. What Bill did has no bearing on this election.

It certainly wouldn't get me to vote Rubio, who would have forced a hypothetical Juanita Broaddrick who had been impregnated by Bill Clinton raping her to then carry that child to term.

I don't think it's impossible that Clinton is guilty of sexual assault, but considering that the Republicans spent years digging up every piece of minor dirt from Bill and Hillary's past in order to try and discredit them, it's not hard to understand why people were skeptical of the claims against Bill on these matters. When you've been accused of everything from corrupt land deals to murder, only for those claims to come to nothing, why would anybody think a single person coming out and making a claim about something that necessarily had to have happened in private decades earlier was anything but another piece of the smear campaign?

ivysaur12

Banned
I think something might have happened with Juanita Brodderick.

I think that no prosecutor would take the case even if Bill Clinton was Joe Schmoe by the time that Juanita alleged that Bill Clinton raped her.

I think it's the fault of the media being so tired of another damn Clinton scandal that more wasn't made out of this in the 90s.

I think that since politics is about people who are usually imperfect and some downright bad doing overall good things for the populace, so it's okay to still support someone who you think is less-than-perfect or even bad if their policy positions are solid.

This is a complicated thing I've gone through the past few weeks when thinking about the Juanita Broderick case. Obviously, this case will never be tried, Bill Clinton will never have any actual case brought against him because there really isn't one. But hearing her testimony, listening to people in her life that say she's been telling the same story since it happened... I don't know.

I don't think it's impossible that Clinton is guilty of sexual assault, but considering that the Republicans spent years digging up every piece of minor dirt from Bill and Hillary's past in order to try and discredit them, it's not hard to understand why people were skeptical of the claims against Bill on these matters. When you've been accused of everything from corrupt land deals to murder, only for those claims to come to nothing, why would anybody think a single person coming out and making a claim about something that necessarily had to have happened in private decades earlier was anything but another piece of the smear campaign?

This too. Bill Clinton seems like a particularly unique case in terms of the absolute hatred the right had for him and their ability to dig up almost anything about him.

Anyone notice how Trump and Sanders supporters are basically sharing the same narratives to use against Clinton. I've always said you could take the left and the right and swap a couple words around and you couldn't tell the difference. Now it's a word for word comparison.

Breitbart and r/Sanders might as well merge until the primaries are over.

Anyone notice how Trump and Sanders supporters are basically sharing the same narratives to use against Clinton. I've always said you could take the left and the right and swap a couple words around and you couldn't tell the difference. Now it's a word for word comparison.

Breitbart and r/Sanders might as well merge until the primaries are over.

But those Clinton narratives are ancient. It's there for anyone's picking.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Pretty much. People have been trying to take him down for decades now, if there was something there we'd have seen it a long time ago.

But those Clinton narratives are ancient. It's there for anyone's picking.

They won't. The real enemy here is Hillary Clinton. Bernie and Trump are united on that front. Notice how Trump has been trashing the Clintons in the press but laying off of Sanders.

I rest my case. It's almost like ignorant people like this don't even realize Sanders and Trump are diametrically opposed in policy and Sanders/Clinton probably overlap on 90% of issues.

Just fretting over personalities or dynasties or some other nonsensical reason to vote.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Nothing ever came of these allegations for a reason... There was never anything there. It was the 90's version of Benghazi/Obama's birth certificate. Republicans have always been desperate for scandals.

I actually wonder if Clinton wold have a harder time sustaining support from Democrat-leaning folks if his scandals happened in today's political atmosphere. At the time the controversy seemed to be framed as him being as a promiscuous swinger who compromised the 'integrity' of his office (and the counter narrative being that Clinton was a target of stick-in-the-mud conservatives who made too big a deal about SEX).

I suppose the Clinton's enemies/supporters being where they are on the American political spectrum would probably keep things relatively the same, but I have to imagine the notion of him being a sexist philandering pig who regularly sexually harassed his subordinates would have to be much harder to shake nowadays.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think something might have happened with Juanita Brodderick.

I think that no prosecutor would take the case even if Bill Clinton was Joe Schmoe by the time that Juanita alleged that Bill Clinton raped her.

I think it's the fault of the media being so tired of another damn Clinton scandal that more wasn't made out of this in the 90s.

I think that since politics is about people who are usually imperfect and some downright bad doing overall good things for the populace, so it's okay to still support someone who you think is less-than-perfect or even bad if their policy positions are solid.

This is a complicated thing I've gone through the past few weeks when thinking about the Juanita Broderick case. Obviously, this case will never be tried, Bill Clinton will never have any actual case brought against him because there really isn't one. But hearing her testimony, listening to people in her life that say she's been telling the same story since it happened... I don't know.

This too. Bill Clinton seems like a particularly unique case in terms of the absolute hatred the right had for him and their ability to dig up almost anything about him.
Clinton won't even comment on the Broderick case, and he reportedly tried apologizing for what happened in person. So my intuition says that something happened there that he's not proud of.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It takes a real special person to get the "sexual assault? Who the hell cares?" treatment from GAF. Bill really has made it, hasn't he?

Chariot

I don't give a shit about his private life. I support him as a politician and president.
Gross. You would see potentially a rapist as your ruler if his politics are right and let him go free? You should give a lot of shits about his private life if it includes potential rape.

qcf x2

It takes a real special person to get the "sexual assault? Who the hell cares?" treatment from GAF. Bill really has made it, hasn't he?

Well, Hillary is absolutely gonna win the nomination and I'm sure people don't want to say or do or shine light on stuff that might not help defeat the republicans, even at the cost of equal treatment/reaction. So it's easy to say "it's in the past."

I mean, there was a thread about Hillary pandering to UFOlogists the other day, promising to find out what's going on at Area 51 and make it public because it's so fascinating to her. If it was any of the repub candidates it would have maxed out the post counts for a single thread by now, full of "omg these nutcases, what kind of idiot would vote for so and so," would have been memed, headline news on CNN, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom