• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Maher apologizes for N-word. HBO/Sasse also comment

has this been posted yet? why are there so many dislikes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnwiYdFaRfk

This and literally every Bill Maher fuck up related topic is literally the epitome of why it has so many dislikes. People don't like black people asserting themselves for one, white people don't like having their privilege being pointed out when it extends into harming other races/ethnicities/cultures, & too many people see Bill Maher as a deific figure who can do no wrong and is supposed to be immune to criticism.

Sheroking

Ice Cube spittin' dat knowledge. Brought me back to the days of younger, angrier Cube.

Young, angrier Cube said some anti-semetic and homophobic shit on the regular.

I like modern, chill Cube quite a bit more. Although watching anyone school Maher and especially NOT vindicate him or let him off the hook is pretty sweet.

There's basically this concept of a social contract.

You are able to end a conversation by saying "I love you mom" or "I love you dad" to your parents because there is a social contract between you that this is an acceptable way to end a conversation. However, this doesn't work when you are talking to your boss or someone that you just met and for some reason everyone is able to understand this but some people (talking generally here) find it hard to understand that about racially charged words 🤔

You are able to call your significant other "honey" for the same reason: because you mutually agreed that this was acceptable. However, this doesn't give you the ability to call anyone else of your partner's gender "honey" without A) you coming off as condescending or sexist and B) you sounding creepy as hell.

Ice Cube is giving specific parameters within which you shouldn't feel ashamed when saying that word. That's his right to give and you will still be getting massive sideeye if you ever decide to use that word around other black people who don't have that social agreement or contract between you and them.

Me? I'd prefer that no exception get made for that word because if that word is a ready part of your vocabulary then it might slip out when when you are speaking off-the-cuff and give an impression of you that is negative. Keep that word out your mouth.
My opinion is that context is what matters over everything else. I'll give a white person a pass if it's the right context, and that means completely non-racial meanings behind how they are using it.

For instance, I wish I could find this video again but there was three white dudes attempting to attack another white guy, in like a shed or under construction building or something. He was giving them that work, it was crazy. Anyway, all you heard was "nigga" every other word. Keep in mind, not a black person in sight. "What's up nigga!" "Come on nigga!" "Bring it nigga!" stuff like that.

As a black person myself, what in that context is there for me to be upset about? Four white dudes calling each other niggas.

Bill Maher may not have been directly calling anyone that word, but he still had the racial meaning behind it when he said it. I think for me, that's the difference.

cuz people don't like having their privilege being pointed out. and you're really wondering why the cesspool that is the community of youtube are disliking that video?
I guess dislikes are to be expected but I didn't there was going to be THAT many. It's eclipsed the amount of likes.
This and literally every Bill Maher fuck up related topic is literally the epitome of why it has so many dislikes. People don't like black people asserting themselves for one, white people don't like having their privilege being pointed out when it extends into harming other races/ethnicities/cultures, & too many people see Bill Maher as a deific figure who can do no wrong and is supposed to be immune to criticism.
Fixed, I think that was a typo? otherwise I'm not sure what you mean

Speaking of LWT, I know you can't avoid Trump but we get enough of him elsewhere. I hate how him and his antics have nearly taken over the show.

LWT? I mean, Trump is the President and he is doing massive damage to the US in many different ways so obviously it's going to be talked about. But as far as LWT, I feel like Oliver has done a pretty good job of not letting his show get totally consumed by Trump. There's been plenty of non-Trump topics since Trump was elected.

I guess dislikes are to be expected but I didn't there was going to be THAT many. It's eclipsed the amount of likes.
Fixed, I think that was a typo? otherwise I'm not sure what you mean
Go check out the trailer for dear white people on Netflix

For added fun check out the reaction video's

Go check out the trailer for dear white people on Netflix

For added fun check out the reaction video's
holy. shit.

i watched the whole show too and on the contrary the show has 100% on RT and an 85 on MC, this all adds up to universal critical acclaim. no amount of dislikes and youtube haters can take that away

Bill just sits there while they're spitting truth. Like a cucumber. I don't sense remorse nor acknowledgement that he truly fucked up since he is not able to even feel empathy for why the word hurts the black community. The only thing he's sorry for is the fact he got caught slipping.

Really bugged me how immediately after Symone stopped talking, Bill jumped to Cube and was like "Hey let's plug your record". He was waiting so hard for her to stop talking, doubt he was really listening to what she said.

Really bugged me how immediately after Symone stopped talking, Bill jumped to Cube and was like "Hey let's plug your record". He was waiting so hard for her to stop talking, doubt he was really listening to what she said.

You are deliberately leaving something out. He said, "Hey let's plug your record before we run out of time."

You are deliberately leaving something out. He said, "Hey let's plug your record before we run out of time."

I realize he said that. But that shit looks bad regardless.

I guess I would just appreciate more of a response from him, to show that he was even listening, you know?

I realize he said that. But that shit looks bad regardless.

I guess I would just appreciate more of a response from him, to show that he was even listening, you know?

Eh, I don't know really. There's limited time, and they were running down. He pretty much let her talk uninterrupted for a good few minutes, so I don't see the disrespect. Remember, it's a live show, so it's not like it can be cut and slimmed like most talk shows.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

To be fair, that 1 on 1 segment has a format and a time limit, and the whole point of it is so the celebrity can plug their shit at the end.

Other guests aren't even supposed to be talking during that segment... though it's entirely appropriate and even expected that she'd weigh in at this special moment. But any host in that situation is probably looking at the clock tick.

It could have been handled better, but just understand there's a reason he'd say "time's up, plug your shit" beyond just being a dick.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
has this been posted yet? why are there so many dislikes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnwiYdFaRfk
Because a sizable chunk of people are stupid enough to believe the following:

Accountability goes both ways on this.... Has Ice Cube and all of the gangsta and hip-hop rappers who banged out the word 'nigga' millions of times in their songs, ever considered the cultural impact and message they are sending? People of all walks of life rap along with the lyrics of those rap songs that mentions the word 'nigga' repeatedly... What do we suppose hearing the word over and over again in a song will eventually do to the minds of the listener? We can't be surprised when others loosely use a degrading word, when we've made it OK to publicly demean and degrade ourselves using it.

So not only are black people blamed for this, they should also stop using it because otherwise white people can't be held accountable for the actions...ugh...

wildfire

Banned
I think the latest episode was great. It's not about black people yelling at Bill, it's about black people telling Bill and THE VIEWERS that this shit is wrong and why.

I didn't see that from the two guest speakers purposefully brought for this.

That woman from CNN was the only one making a focused point why it was bad.

Ice Cube and the other guy certainly expressed how much they felt bothered with it but they totally failed to take the time why they felt this way and why others would.

It was frustrating to watch.

I didn't see that from the two guest speakers purposefully brought for this.

That woman from CNN was the only one making a focused point why it was bad.

Ice Cube and the other guy certainly expressed how much they felt bothered with it but they totally failed to take the time why they felt this way and why others would.

It was frustrating to watch.

Uh, what? Ice Cube flat out said that white people used it as a weapon in the past, and black people were never going to let that happen again without called it out and it was there word to use now. That's like the most blunt way I can imagine someone making clear why they had a problem with it. Dyer did, too, honestly, but I can understand not being as satisfied because he's was a little more philosophical and vague and not as 'fuck you' as Ice Cube's, but there's no way I buy you took that away from what Ice Cube said.

Chumley

Banned
John Oliver doesn't know when to shut up, he drags out every joke waaaay too long. Bill Maher is a far better comedian in terms of wit

I don't really think Oliver drags things out too much, but Maher is more direct and funnier. Takes absolutely no prisoners when taking Republicans to task, can't think of a more vicious political comedian right now.

IrishNinja

Bill doesn't care, and he will learn nothing. And it is a matter of time before he fucks up again.

But I did like that Cube laid it out like that.

literally everything about this screamed nothing was learned, yeah.

Cube is one of my GOATs

Has Ice Cube ever talked about Cave Bitch and Black Korea in this context?

oh yeah, same context here & everything, excellent whataboutisms man

Giolon

I have so many conflicting feelings about this. It was a bad joke. It was offensive. I don't feel that being merely being offensive should be enough to ruin someone.

I liked most of what the panelists had to say, but I feel it wasn't necessarily getting through to Maher.

Can there be some outcome to this between him apologizing and nothing at all happening and him having to lose his show and job? What is appropriate punishment? How does one get him to understand and internalize rather than simply browbeating him? Is an effectively monetary penalty all that can be had?

Even as the guests said, the appropriateness of the word is still unsettled among the black community, whatever that is. However, society has settled that it's not appropriate for white (or generally non-black) people to use pretty much ever (which I don't agree with 100%, but hoo boy I think you can stray off that potentially ok path real fast that you'd probably best just avoid it entirely). At some point maybe that can be re-examined as we should revisit many things society settles on to see if they're still where we as a people want to be, but I'm pretty sure that at the very least, we haven't reached that point yet.

I don't really think Oliver drags things out too much, but Maher is more direct and funnier. Takes absolutely no prisoners when taking Republicans to task, can't think of a more vicious political comedian right now.

Takes no prisoners unless they are flamboyant hate speech peddlers spouting transphobic nonsense... then it's *shrug* and "that sounds reasonable" and I want to help his career.

Can't think of any liberal that gets more direct with conservatives than he does

Can't think of any liberal that gets more direct with conservatives than he does

Teans people are sexual predators says Milo... shrug does Maher

We're just trying to protect women and girls in women's bathrooms says Milo... that's not unreasonable says Maher

So direct much confrontation what a liberal icon.

Chumley

Banned

We're just trying to protect women and girls in women's bathrooms says Milo... that's not unreasonable says Maher

One or even a few instances of him being soft on assholes doesn't make the hundreds of times he wasn't disappear. 90% of the time he tears them apart to their face.

Sunster

One or even a few instances of him being soft on assholes doesn't make the hundreds of times he wasn't disappear. 90% of the time he tears them apart to their face.

But he's trying to like resurrect Milo who is a legitimately dangerous person to a lot of people.

Chumley

Banned
But he's trying to like resurrect Milo who is a legitimately dangerous person to a lot of people.

I agree and it baffles me. I can only hope he doesn't have him on a second time, crossing my fingers he wakes the fuck up to Milo after the recent controversy he's been through himself.

Dude brags and celebrates helping Coulter, Cobway get careers. He's happy he helped them. He's proud of it.

He wants to do the same for Milo.

Please spare this idea that he's sone valuable attack dog.

And he wasn't soft on Milo he was deferring to Milo's ideas.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

Oliver's "yell at the image on screen after the punchline has been delivered" schtick is the epitome of beating a dead horse and makes him borderline unwatchable for me. Maher just comes off as a smug prick and when he laughs at his own joke while delivering it I cring every time. Still I thought the discussion and dressing down he received was interesting, I think he appreciates what he did wrong and was sincere about it.

You know very little about bill Maher if you don't think he stands up for LBGTQ community

Oliver's "yell at the image on screen after the punchline has been delivered" schtick is the epitome of beating a dead horse and makes him borderline unwatchable for me. Maher just comes off as a smug prick and when he laughs at his own joke while delivering it I cring every time. Still I thought the discussion and dressing down he received was interesting, I think he appreciates what he did wrong and was sincere about it.

His scream at the camera shtick makes it hard to watch his show

Top Bottom