• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Maher on bringing Milo back, Le Penn, Vaccinations, Islam.....

I still can't believe people are actually arguing that not giving Milo a platform on the show is the same as violating his first amendment rights.

Like come on, you fools don't really believe that shit. Why do you put up these hollow arguments for the sake of arguing?!

I dropped Larry Wilmore for anti-vax nonsense, and Larry has about 1/900th of the baggage and shittiness that Maher has, so... Sorry, Bill.

Note, not only did Larry give a platform to an anti-vaxxer, he gave "weak tea" to someone who challenged them, saying [paraphrased] "That's someone's kids you're talking about!"

Once you go anti-science I am just done with you.

shoelacer

Banned
I remember like a month ago when a bunch of people here jumped down my throat for daring to say Maher isn't actually liberal. Glad I got the last laugh, ya rubes.

shoelacer

Banned
I dropped Larry Wilmore for anti-vax nonsense, and Larry has about 1/900th of the baggage and shittiness that Maher has, so... Sorry, Bill.

Note, not only did Larry give a platform to an anti-vaxxer, he gave "weak tea" to someone who challenged them, saying [paraphrased] "That's someone's kids you're talking about!"

Once you go anti-science I am just done with you.

Lol @ THIS being the breaking point for a dude who's been saying equally stupid shit for damn near three decades when you instantly discard Larry Wilmore for having a dumb guest

I still can't believe people are actually arguing that not giving Milo a platform on the show is the same as violating his first amendment rights.

Like come on, you fools don't really believe that shit. Why do you put up these hollow arguments for the sake of arguing?!
Momma told me the first amendment can be anything I want it to be.

Lol @ THIS being the breaking point for a dude who's been saying equally stupid shit for damn near three decades when you instantly discard Larry Wilmore for having a dumb guest

No, I discarded The Nightly Show (i.e. not Larry Wilmore, I shouldn't have said it like that, I do like the dude) for giving "weak tea" to a standup comedian on his discussion panel who asked an anti-vaxxer a question. He demanded that the comedian "leave her alone," because she's talking about protecting her kids, took away one of the comedian's "Keep it 100" stickers, and replaced it with a tea bag. This is after doing nothing to challenge this anti-vaxxer's bullshit for the entire panel. What's more the other guy who was a staffer on his show who also showed up on panels all the time (Mike Yard) was also expressing doubts about vaccines, totally unchallenged, just based on distrusting the government. It was like if Bill Maher was telling people to lay off Milo when he was on the panel and then his Ed McMahon/Andy Richter dude also starting chiming in about how he feels "conflicted" about whether transgender women are just men with mental health issues. It was pretty low quality stuff, and life is short, so I bailed. Watch it yourself: http://www.cc.com/video-clips/j0gqt...-larry-wilmore-panel---vaccines---keep-it-100

I don't really watch Maher either, by the way.

As I said earlier in this thread, the people still defending Maher are LITERALLY showing worse standards than Breitbart.

I remember like a month ago when a bunch of people here jumped down my throat for daring to say Maher isn't actually liberal. Glad I got the last laugh, ya rubes.

Bill Maher is a liberal some of the time. He has a libertarian view on a lot of issues. I can see why he gives people like Milo and Ann Coulter a place to spout their horrible views he's an old rich white man their horrible views on subjects do not effect him whatsoever. Its when one of the causes he champions like animal treatment, drug laws, or religion that he shows just how much a hypocrite he can be.

Maher is a fucking idiot lol. I mean, let's discuss the "no platform" stuff. Sure, I can see an argument that the ability for one to get their views debunked nationally being a valid one. That's not the worst argument in the world, for certain.

But Bill Maher is actively either too stupid a person or too apathetic a person to be the one to offer a platform to bigots, as evidenced by the time that he demonstrated his willingness to extend an olive branch to Milo. The man did nothing whatsoever to challenge Milo or give him any reason to become a reasonable person whatsoever. All Maher did was shrug his shoulders when presented with fake statistics. I mean fuck, he talks about making Milo a reasonable person, but from what we can see, Maher already considers Milo reasonable, to quote: "that's not unreasonable" in response to fears of trans women being in the presence of cis women and children in women's bathrooms. So if he already considers his transphobia reasonable, why would he claim to be trying to better him?

Fuck, Maher is such an intellectually devoid person, and I legitimately cannot understand how intelligent people can defend and enjoy him.

finley83

Banned
The concept and overall set-up of the show is fine, but spoiled by the fact that Bill Maher is the host. Give it to someone less smug, condescending and ignorant (I remember him defending that absurd anti-privacy internet bill a few years back because apparently Religulous didn't make enough money due to **PIRACY**) and you've got a great show.

It's just dishonest as fuck. I mean, the guy himself is constantly complaining that the overly politically correct left ain't saying what needs to be said about Islam. But yet he also gets upset when people try to hold Milo up to that same exact standard that he holds groups like Muslims to and the most important thing isn't "saying what needs to be said" regardless of whether it's "politically correct" or not anymore? Yeah, no. Maher himself clearly doesn't even believe that garbage since it appears and disappears as convenient. He just says whatever it takes for him to be able to keep spewing garbage; nothing more, nothing less.

HOLY CRAP!!!! I had no idea Maher was this open to racist speech. Game changer for me considering that I watch his show alot.
I feel like he selected his Black guest based on what he felt was their willingness to react physically to his inflammatory comments......... because what he said during that panel is the sort of shit that starts physical confrontations.
"I wouldnt have known you were Black if you hadnt told me"

Top Bottom