• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biomutant is selling 20 times the expected on Nintendo Switch, THQ Nordic says

Draugoth

Gold Member
egs-biomutant-experiment101-g1a-00-1920x1080-7283d571f350.jpg

In an article published by Japan's Automaton, it was reported that the Nintendo Switch version of the open-world adventure game Biomutant is exceeding publisher THQ Nordic Japan's expectations.

According to a comment made to the magazine by a representative of THQ Nordic Japan, Biomutant was designed to be a slow-selling game in the long term - largely due to its late release on the Nintendo platform compared to the PC, PlayStation and Xbox versions.

However, the company was surprised by the much higher than usual demand, around 20 times more than THQ had expected for both the physical and digital versions.

How is this game? I got it on ps plus monthly games, and from what I played it was good. I got sucked into games I purchased, and didn't go back. Is it worth going back to?
If so maybe I will play the switch version. So many games are better on the switch just for being able to play in short bursts or on the porch, while at work, bathroom ,etc..

Saber

Not trying to offend, but Switch is also the home of garbage shovelwares that baits kids easly. You just need a catchy name and picture and you're good to go.

Last edited:
I honestly keep getting mixed up between Biomutant and F.I.S.T: Forged in Shadow Torch... looking at their respective listings on Epic Game Store, they still look like the same game to me, had to triple check. lol

Stuart360

I'm actually surprised the Switch can even run this. The PC version was surprisingly demanding, although that was at max settings and 60fps, which is probably way beyond what the Switch version is.

It's a solid game and deserved better sales than it got on traditional consoles. Companies would do well to make Switch 2 their main development platform.
Huh? Why would major developers who are working on PS5/ Series X/ High-end PCs go back to old technology as their main SKU for future pipelines? Even if it's a huge leap over original Switch (which it probably will be), it will be leagues behind current-gen & next-gen consoles coming in ~2027. The nature of game development is to push things forward.

That honestly makes zero sense

Last edited:
Huh? Why would major developers who are working on PS5/ Series X/ High-end PCs go back to old technology as their main SKU for future pipelines? Even if it's a huge leap over original Switch (which it probably will be), it will be leagues behind current-gen & next-gen consoles coming in ~2027. The nature of game development is to push things forward.

That honestly makes zero sense
It just seems like current traditional consoles invest too much money and time for games to look good, but not be fun these days. We're seeing tons of layoffs and studio shutdowns because some games have budgets that are too high. They have to get unrealistic sales to become profitable, and they take too long to make.

Seems to me that the industry in general should be making more smaller games with mid graphics that release faster to keep gamers more invested in the hobby instead of waiting multiple gens for their favorite sequels. Also seems like "pushing things forward" is more of a minority, hardcore point of view as opposed to getting more consumers to spend more money on games made with a better paced releases.

Kinda feels like this industry is facing two paths: one which leads to top tech for a limited base, or more games that don't push tech that includes the higher prices and slower output, aka Nintendo's philosophy vs Sony/MS.

Last edited:

Tams

Never understood why this game always seems to be mocked. I picked it up a while back for the backlog. Always looked really fun to me. Glad it's doing well, THQ Nordic is a great publisher. Too many people sleeping on them and acting like they're a joke. Filthy casuals.

Yeah, even in this thread with the 'What? 20 x 1?' jokes.

It sold more than they expected. The actual number doesn't really matter in this context.

Crayon

If they thought it was worth it to do a port, 20x that is good.

Anyway... it does look appealing to a younger audience. It's a fuzzy animal character but kinda edgy. You get a reasonable idea of what kind of game it is looking at some pictures. Sure, why not? Good for them.

Toons

I started this game and never finished.

I should go back and try again.

Glad to see its finding some success. I thought it was a cool game.

anthony2690

Gold Member
How is this game? I have a sealed copy on my shelf, but I watched some gameplay and it looked great till the combat, what looked really bad aha.

It was okay, but didn't set me on fire. It looked rough on Playstation, even with the PS5 upgrade, and the combat was floaty and unsatisfying. I rarely stop playing games, but this got repetitive really quicky, I got about 10 hours in and couldn't face any more.

How has this not hit gamepass/ps plus yet
Was a dec 2022 Plus game. (and seemingly on EA Play Pro for some time which is a service tier I did not know ever existed)
I guess them porting to Switch might have paused parallel subscription ideas but it may or may not appear on Extra or GP later.

Top Bottom