• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock "Exclusive Review" IGN edition - A lot of annoyed journos (Ironcreed wow).

edit: ^^ SO fucking beat

wait is that Arthur Gies unironically criticizing IGN for a potential lack of integrity or even just "muddying the waters"? Arthur Gies of Polygon 9.5... no no 7.0... no 4.5... no... fame?

I mean I agree with his point but my lord...

What was that about? I don't remember reading anything.

Reiko

Banned
Especially when combined.

tumblr_mgihkbxZRz1qimttgo1_500.png
Unbeatable. Masterful. 10/10

FINALBOSS

Banned
Wow all the white-knights showing up now that Geoff posted something.

As if we should bow down to him since he decided to grace us underlings with his presence on our message board.

EL OH EL

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

there's a reason I exempted Jeff Green from my initial post here, and it's because you guys were always open about your concerns with this stuff

Of course, I'm not sure whether it says more about me or about the state of the games press that a couple ex-writers who now actually work at game publishers have more credibility than the guys who are still supposedly just press.

As if we should bow down to him since he decided to grace us underlings with his presence on our message board.

EL OH EL

Asking to not pile on with dumb hive mind bullshit = it's Geoff bow down!

He's a member of this forum too, and asking to be civil and fairly respectful to him isn't a lot to ask for. Instead people want to get insular and run everyone out of town.

Zabka

EL OH EL

I look forward to your angry tirade against Billy Bush for Access Hollywood's exclusive Catching Fire trailer.

nomis

EL OH EL

EL OH EL right back

No one's washing the man's balls. I guess they're just excited that he actually sees value in responding to some of these threads even when they're poking fun at him.

x-Lundz-x

EL OH EL

Or you could try not being an asshat. Making shops, joking around is one thing. Being a total dick is another. I think most of GAF like the fact people like Geoff take the time to interact with fans and gamers on our little corner of the Internet.

EL OH EL
I didnt see his post. I just dont think the Deus Ex thing was funny.

Maybe if it was about Tomb Raider or MGS.

ultron87

Keighley has the Dew right there on the table. IGN is hiding it under the table and not mentioning it. That is the main difference for me.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Keighley has the Dew right there on the table. IGN is hiding it under the table and not mentioning it. That is the main difference for me.

But we can still see that they have it under the table. Which is kinda why journalists are calling them out!

Jac_Solar

But hasn't "exclusive" reviews been a thing since the dawn of video gaming? Why is it suddenly a problem for these other reviewers? I mean, I could take a guess - the timing of their comments about a website getting an exclusive on a huge game makes it seem very blatant. Do they not realise how this makes them sound? They might even (Hopefully.) ruin the exclusivity system for reviewers.

So, is this more or less an admission that their past exclusives have been fixed? Have they done any exclusives?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Are we honestly forgetting all the exclusive coverage you've done? I love how you are completely ok with everything but exclusive reviews--knowing you're guilty of all the rest in the past.

You're losing the thread here. Exclusive reviews are directly related to shady score manipulation, and scores are what theoretically guide consumers.

Exclusive coverage, in contrast, is just interviews and previews, which would have been uniformly positive anyway, because they are generally worthless (i.e., uncritical) regurgitations of PR-filtered presentations and messages.

Nothing is compromised by exclusive non-review coverage, unless you want to make the case that outlets who receive exclusive coverage make implicit or explicit promises to review the game more favorably when the time comes. Is there evidence for that?

x-Lundz-x

So I'm sure sessler would have told irrational and 2k games to go stuff it if they came to Rev3 and said hey, we really like you guys and want to give you guys a chance to review and list the review of the game first....right?

JABEE

It's a damn picture with an icon of the games industry. I'm sure people can be fans of developers while also maintaining a clear head when reviewing the game.

Not when you are reviewing or covering their product.

You don't see sports writers taking pictures posing with players or coaches that they are covering. Yo shouldn't really be getting buddy-buddy with the people who's product you are supposed to be criticizing. It may be difficult, but it's part of the job.

If you give a damn about journalistic ethics you don't take pictures with the actors, if you cover films, athletes, if you cover sports, or game creators and developers, if you cover games. I think a lot of the writers criticizing IGN should also take a look in the mirror at how their exclusive or advanced coverage is any different.

Shawn said "it's a lucrative strategy to get early reviews." Arthur Gies did it as Senior Reviews Editor for Polygon and IGN is doing it right now. The only difference is Gies and the others are better at rationalizing their own decisions. Things that happen outside of the realm of their own world are muddled in mystery. That is how I and a lot of others look at the reviews that come out from the sites that are criticizing IGN.

GavinGT

Banned
Keighley didn't have to post at all, him laying his chips on the table shows he has gut.

It's downright refreshing is what it is. Lord knows us gamers are only pouring fuel on the flames, though. It's almost like a code red situation. And the jokes have only been getting cheesier, so I'm glad cooler heads have finally prevailed.

unbias

I would not say he has guts, I do not like him. So he chose to comment on this and not the Doritos Pope thing.

Probably because he has nothing to add at the time. He is a smart guy, he knows when it is best to lay low and not go on twitter wars(Arthur), and when it is a good idea to say something(like now). Liking that side of the industry or not(The way VGA's are run now is embarrassing, imo) nothing wrong with him having issues with this, even if a lot of the time it is hard to see objectivity around all their PR stuff.

FINALBOSS

Banned
You're losing the thread here. Exclusive reviews are directly related to shady score manipulation, and scores are what theoretically guide consumers.

Exclusive coverage, in contrast, is just interviews and previews, which would have been uniformly positive anyway, because they are generally worthless (i.e., uncritical) regurgitations of PR-filtered presentations and messages.

Nothing is compromised by exclusive non-review coverage, unless you want to make the case that outlets who receive exclusive coverage make implicit or explicit promises to review the game more favorably when the time comes. Is there evidence for that?

Free marketing? Journalists serving as outside PR?

I understand exclusive reviews seem to have more of a direct correlation to "shady behavior".

JABEE

This is something that I think people are often missing when they say the content of a review is what matters. Not when people base their purchasing decision on a scoring aggregator like Metacritic. Not when PR people get bonuses based on how high they can get that MetaScore. These are all a part of a transaction. PR people are just good at making writers feel like they aren't part of a business transaction.

VanWinkle

It cracks me up how Gies whines about how whiney GAF is and he's literally CONSTANTLY whining on Twitter. It's non-stop. He always has something to rant about.

Jac_Solar

Probably because he has nothing to add at the time. He is a smart guy, he knows when it is best to lay low and not go on twitter wars(Arthur), and when it is a good idea to say something(like now). Liking that side of the industry or not(The way VGA's are run now is embarrassing, imo) nothing wrong with him having issues with this, even if a lot of the time it is hard to see objectivity around all their PR stuff.

I was very impressed with how he managed to completely ignore the dorito's thing, and refrain from commenting or defending himself. That probably required a lot of effort. I think anything he could have said would simply have amplified the situation.

Player2

Neo Member
Hey guys!

I read on the internet that this isn't a huge graphical leap like the first game in the series was.

*promptly goes and kills self*

I was very impressed with how he managed to completely ignore the dorito's thing, and refrain from commenting or defending himself. That probably required a lot of effort. I think anything he could have said would simply have amplified the situation.

I'm literally surprised he showed up at all.

I'm sure though when he posted on twitter about this he knew what he was getting into potentially.

Hex

Banned
Are we honestly forgetting all the exclusive coverage you've done? I love how you are completely ok with everything but exclusive reviews--knowing you're guilty of all the rest in the past.

You really do not understand what anyone is talking about if you can not tell the difference between what an "exclusive review" creates and exclusive previews.

BlazinAm

I'm literally surprised he showed up at all.

I'm sure though when he posted on twitter about this he knew what he was getting into potentially.

I think most of the outcry o about that is contained to this forum; while this forum is vocal and obviously influential at least to the overall tempo of the internet gaming community, it is probably really easy for him not have to address it. People will continue to watch his show and pay attention to him because he has such broad connections within the industry.

unbias

Yup, when you realize you are in a situation that is near impossible to explain, you have 2 choices, apologize for doing the job you do or lay low and let it blow over. He probably realized he was getting a lot of hate because of reviewers who continually sound and act like his site(PR and enthusiast press for the most part).

There was no winning in that situation. While I think the VGA's are a bad thing, I think the rest of the stuff he does is fine, so long as the site doesnt try to cross into the world of informative press, consumer awareness, or trying to claim an objective crown in the world of gaming. A lot of the sites, a lot of the time, sound like his VGA shows, while at the same time trying to claim journalist integrity and ethics. Gets annoying.

At least Geoff gets exactly what he and his brand is about and sticks with it. Moving targets are much more annoying, as a reader.

TheNatural

My Member!
Review are so worthless for major game releases. Once in a blue moon you'll get a trend that a game is a genre defining blockbuster (Super Mario Galaxy 2 for example) and the scores correlate. Or you'll get a Michael Bay esque bomb review from a franchise that needs a reboot (Resident Evil 6.)

The rest? All games get giant clusters of 8 to 9 review scores, that basically all sum up the same thing in EVERY review:

"If you're a fan of this series, then this iteration adds tweaks X, Y, and Z; but keeps what made the series great in the first place and is worth your money."

That sums up the whole fucking generation. Reviews aren't needed.

I think most of the outcry o about that is contained to this forum; while this forum is vocal and obviously influential at least to the overall tempo of the internet gaming community, it is probably really easy for him not have to address it. People will continue to watch his show and pay attention to him because he has such broad connections within the industry.

Yeah, the main thing I would have been worried about would have been other gaming outlets picking up the news.

Top Bottom