• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite DLC: Clash in the Clouds (Horde) & Burial At Sea (Rapture) revealed

A mix of both really. I wanted to learn more about the world of Columbia, so going back to Rapture yet again is really disappointing. At the same time the conceit of Burial at Sea is really cool.

Pretty mixed on Clash in the Clouds, kind of wish that was something else too instead of a horde mode but I guess its cool its set in Columbia,

As an environment, we've seen everything Columbia has to offer. We've seen war torn Columbia and we've seen peaceful, in-it's-prime Columbia. We've never seen Rapture before it went to hell, and that's something I've wanted to do since the day the original Bioshock was first shown. The DLC is perfect.

Bsigg12

Well the horde mode seems underwhelming. Hopefully the 2 part-er is good, sucks that the second half won't be out until next year though.

OneLetter

If any of you are looking for Wallpaper-sized DLC art for "BioShock Infinite: Clash in the Clouds" and "BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode One", here you go: http://j.mp/157joQh

If you get hit by the age gate, go to Media >> Downloads.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This will 100% tie-in with what goes down in Infinite:

z1vYOd6.png

18gc8c8.png

MpF2Sws.png

Eurogamer: Are you going to try to rationalise it with the events of Infinite, or is it considered a completely separate episode, splinter, whatever?

Ken Levine: I think it's safe to say we will integrate everything.

Courtesy TvTropes:

It's hinted that this cycle happens earlier, as when Elizabeth is angry at Booker for lying to her about going to Paris and disembarks at Finkton to try and lose him, she opens a tear into a brick wall and winds up in the middle of a police blockade that immediately tries to apprehend her. While you do find Elizabeth on the other side, struggling against the cops, Elizabeth can only open holes into other dimensions, so you might not even be traveling with "your" Elizabeth.

Lijik

As an environment, we've seen everything Columbia has to offer. We've seen war torn Columbia and we've seen peaceful, in-it's-prime Columbia. We've never seen Rapture before it went to hell, and that's something I've wanted to do since the day the original Bioshock was first shown. The DLC is perfect.

I disagree, aspects like the Songbird and the handymen are given only the bare minimum of exploration in Infinite. I have so many more questions about the characters of Columbia than I have about the setting of Rapture pre-new years revolt. I feel like the audiologs in Bioshock 1 and 2, as well as the remains of the city painted a clear picture in my head of how that was. Having a game actually flesh that out is cool but not really as interesting to me as fleshing out characters that have all of one line or background element of explanation.

Hell I even had a pie in the sky dream of a DLC that involved playing as the Luteces running around unstuck in time. Theres a lot more you can do with the characters of Columbia even if as you said the setting is tapped out.

I've got this sinking feeling...like the DLC will be region locked and I'll be totally screwed.

Fuck.

I've tweeted the fuck out of Irrational and Ken Levine...I highly doubt they'll pay attention, though (nobody ever does when I inquire about region-locking DLC).

I disagree, aspects like the Songbird and the handymen are given only the bare minimum of exploration in Infinite. I have so many more questions about the characters of Columbia than I have about the setting of Rapture pre-new years revolt. I feel like the audiologs in Bioshock 1 and 2, as well as the remains of the city painted a clear picture in my head of how that was. Having a game actually flesh that out is cool but not really as interesting to me as fleshing out characters that have all of one line or background element of explanation.

Hell I even had a pie in the sky dream of a DLC that involved playing as the Luteces running around unstuck in time. Theres a lot more you can do with the characters of Columbia even if as you said the setting is tapped out.

Again, as an environment we've seen everything in Columbia. I said nothing of the characters.

From the Eurogamer interview:
I won't say exactly how, but yes, they are involved in a certain way, and the combat will probably feel more like BioShock 1 combat
This is a bit worrying. BioShock's combat wasn't that fun.

JackEtc

Burial at Sea is set on New Year's Eve, 1958, the night of the bombing that was the beginning of the end for Rapture. In the first episode you play as Booker, and then in the second episode you play as Elizabeth.

It's been a while since I played Bioshock, but I don't remember Rapture being bombed. I thought it tore itself apart (the Civil War)?

Never bought a season pass before, but since just ONE of the episodes is $15, I figured I might as well. Are they still available to buy, or did I have to get it when the game released? Or can I buy it whenever I want, like a few months from now?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't really get this.
The only way this could really make sense is if it takes place before the ending scene. Meaning the Infinite story probably won't be driven anywhere.
In the very least,
AD + missed finger mean this Anna was passed to Comstock and renamed to Elizabeth, that this Booker gave his daughter away (maybe not the Anna he's meeting), and the bird pendant was gotten by her from one of the Bookers when they get it from the Lutece twins.

Unless these are all unrelated to Infinite and came to be from different means. Not sure how they will make sense of all this either for now, but I think it's safe to say that
at least this Liz had an involvement with Columbia at some point and teared away from there, and that the DLC will touch upon multi-realities in some form instead of being totally contained to the events of Rapture's demise.

Lijik

Again, as an environment we've seen everything in Columbia. I said nothing of the characters.

Well if you read my post you'll have seen I said that you were right about that? I was trying to explain my disappointment in this that I feel theres more potential in exploring the characters of Columbia instead of going back to Rapture.

Im not really sure why you quoted my post in the first place now

Never bought a season pass before, but since just ONE of the episodes is $15, I figured I might as well. Are they still available to buy, or did I have to get it when the game released? Or can I buy it whenever I want, like a few months from now?

You can buy one now...not sure about later

Raxus

Love the Burial at Sea but yeah, Clash in the Clouds is pretty sad in a game that I got kind of bored of the combat by the end.

Well if you read my post you'll have seen I said that you were right about that? I was trying to explain my disappointment in this that I feel theres more potential in exploring the characters of Columbia instead of going back to Rapture.

Im not really sure why you quoted my post in the first place now

The first thing you said was "I disagree, aspects like the Songbird and the handymen are given only the bare minimum of exploration in Infinite." I did read your post.

AHA-Lambda

Guess I'd better buy the season pass then.

£20 for the 2 episode story or £16 for the season pass with everything in it.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
In the very least,
AD + missed finger mean this Anna was passed to Comstock and renamed to Elizabeth, that this Booker gave his daughter away, and the bird pendant was gotten by her from one of the Bookers when they get it from the Lutece twins.

Unless these are all unrelated to Infinite and came to be from different means. Not sure how they will make sense of all this either for now, but I think it's safe to say that
at least this Liz had an involvement with Columbia at some point and teared away from there, and that the DLC will touch upon multi-realities in some form instead of being totally contained to the events of Rapture's demise.
I think it would be cooler if this is the
omniscient Liz from Infinite's end. I guess we will find that out if Booker hits on her and she mysteriously declines lol.

Then again, they could be moving on from the Infinite plot and just trying to appeal to fans of the first two games. People have been wanting a Rapture origin story for years.

Duxxy3

Not sure i'll bother with clash in the clouds. Seems like something they threw together to keep the season pass holders happy.

Dead

well not really...yet
Really happy that we are getting a Horde DLC as its something I wanted in the main game.

But kind of pissed too as I wanted an actual DLC story set in Colombia as well... :(

My totally insane/dumb speculation about how Burial at Sea will tie into to Infinite:
Major SPOILERS for the ending of Infinite so don't highlight unless you've beaten it.

The Booker we play in Burial is one that was supposed to be taken to Columbia by the Luteces but from a malfunction/act of god/whatever is brought to pre-fall Rapture instead. This Booker creates new memories about himself living in Rapture during this time as a Private Detective like he did in his own time. Just like every Booker does when they come to Columbia. This timeline adjusts to accommodate Booker existing in this world.

Because of this timeline adjustment, this Booker was able to be spared from being erased by Elizabeth at the end. Now this is where the Elizabeth we play as in the new DLC comes in. At the end of the game we see the many Elizabeths start to disappear but the game cuts to black before we see the last one disappear. This is the Elizabeth we play as. The last one who didn't disappear who must come to Rapture to find Booker and tie up the last loose end.

To me it seems like the Clash of the Clouds was just something they could do to meet the obligation of doing three DLC packs for the people who bought the season pass. That is to say they didn't have time to do three story based packs by March of 2014. Certainly some work went into it, but here it's easier to use old assets. Anyway, Burial at Sea looks really cool, looking forward to that.

Zomba13

Sucks that the Bioshock Infinite DLC isn't really BS:I DLC But I do love Rapture and a PI noire story.

Would have been nice to see more stories set in Columbia that would maybe tie into the main game or explore some of the other characters in the story but eh, can't have everything.

Will probably end up buying. I kept BS:I installed because I was waiting for information on the DLC and yeah, I'd like to play this DLC someday (Burial at Sea, not horde mode).

Cystm

Clash in the clouds holds little to no interest for me, and all I really want is more of that Levine story.

The trailer was excellent for what it was, which is the smallest of morsels.

"Coming Soon."

I am optimistic about it being worth the wait.

IcyEyes

Finally some news about the DLC !!!

Everything looks pretty promising and I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy Clash in the Clouds, but not me (I'm not interested in a solo horde ... maybe in a co-op horde Booker-Elizabeth!).

I can't wait for Burial at Sea !!!!

Vidpixel

Finally some news about the DLC !!!

Everything looks pretty promising and I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy Clash in the Clouds, but not me (I'm not interested in a solo horde ... maybe in a co-op horde Booker-Elizabeth!).

I can't wait for Burial at Sea !!!!

The Clash of the Clouds DLC would have sounded a whole lot more interesting if it included co-op gameplay with the second player taking control of Elizabeth.

Toa TAK

Banned
I need PI Booker to do his narration and this will be perfect.

And I also hope that BioShock 2's story elements aren't erased from existence. I really loved B2's story.

I love all the horde modes out there. Some people truly love the mechanics and this gives them another avenue to toy around with them, so that's great.

Just wished I actually enjoyed the combat more. Guns are suitably meaty enough, but it felt like I was either wiping the floor with everyone, or getting my ass handed to me, and never really anything in-between. No push/pull.

But hell, I'll give the game a second go at some point down the line and experiment more. Maybe it'll click.

Duxxy3

Ah screw it - bought the season pass. I never buy DLC, but who knows if we will ever see another bioshock.

Clash in the Clouds: NOPE
Burial at Sea: yes pls

Low savings for a season pass, too. Assuming the Burial stuff will cost $10 a pop, you're basically buying them at cost and getting a crappy $5 single player horde mode for free.

Well that first DLC is a huge disappointment. I can't believe it took them 4-5 months to make and release some challenge maps. Obviously they were working on the story DLC at the same time but it's still pretty disappointing.

As it stands right now, I hope Burial at Sea is worth the entire $20. I'm not sure it's going to be. The trailer looks good enough but if I had known the entire season pass was 4 challenge maps and a 2 part story DLC I'm not sure I would have bitten on it. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20, I'll just continue to look forward to Burial at Sea.

Top Bottom