• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite DLC: Clash in the Clouds (Horde) & Burial At Sea (Rapture) revealed

So I want to toot the horn of worry on this thread like so many others before me and wonder if the ludonarrative dissonance in Burial at Sea will be as bad as it was in Infinite... What I really like about this trailer is that there's no combat, just stuff going on, but I feel mislead. If this was actually more of an adventure and detective story than an action game, I will be ridiculously impressed, but for now I am trying my utmost HARDEST not to be hyped. I spent years thinking Infinite would be amazing, and then weeks feeling burned after playing it.

The initial reveal of Bioshock Infinite had plenty of combat. I've never understood why people were surprised by the final game turning out like it did.

I am very excited for Burial at Sea. That looks like it could be amazing stuff. The challenge DLC not so much, but it looks like it could be fun for the challenge and stuff to collect. I guess I just had my heart set on 100% story focused DLC, but it's all good. More Bioshock is more Bioshock.

It still might have tie-ins with the original game, though. If I recall correctly from one of the voxophones
the Lucete's took the plasmid technology out of the 'Rapture-universe'
. I'm really curious to see what Irrational came up with here.

And the songbird was inspired by the Big Daddys.
I don't think there will be a connection though, this is just a universe where they ended up living in Rapture.

Edit: so it's confirmed that Burial at Sea will be 30$ total? Well, might as well take the plunge on the pass, 10$ saving + a horde mode that will probably be fun since I enjoyed the combat in the main game.
It's safe to assume that the prices translate directly to euros right?

So I want to toot the horn of worry on this thread like so many others before me and wonder if the ludonarrative dissonance in Burial at Sea will be as bad as it was in Infinite... What I really like about this trailer is that there's no combat, just stuff going on, but I feel mislead. If this was actually more of an adventure and detective story than an action game, I will be ridiculously impressed, but for now I am trying my utmost HARDEST not to be hyped. I spent years thinking Infinite would be amazing, and then weeks feeling burned after playing it.

I can still honestly say doing alternate universe versions of these characters in a separate storyline in a separate environment is about 10 times more interesting than what I expected after playing Infinite.

As far as combat, well, Booker has plasmids in the trailer and a gun in the artwork, so that's great news for me but probably good reason for you to temper your hype.

clav

Somewhat disappointed that we won't see more of Columbia.

I guess Rapture is just easier to tell since Bioshock has been told twice.

Okay, just spent an hour in CITC, FAR better then I initially gave it credit for.

The museum collectibles seem like they're priced well enough to promote a lengthy playthrough of the mode itself.

Colour me surprised at the stopgap before burial at sea.

Okay, just spent an hour in CITC, FAR better then I initially gave it credit for.

The museum collectibles seem like they're priced well enough to promote a lengthy playthrough of the mode itself.

Colour me surprised at the stopgap before burial at sea.

There's a museum to unlock stuff? What is it?

Damn I hadn't seen this:

So how much will the two Burial at Sea packs cost? If they will cost $10 each, you could buy the season pass now and get CitC for free.

I definitely want to play Burial at Sea.

BurialAtSea_Episode2_Banner.png

Looks like Liz has issues with the whole little sisters thing. This is so cool.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I enjoyed Columbia more than Rapture. I'm interested in the premise of the detective story, so maybe
all alternate Bookers aren't dead after all, curious on how they explain that.

eliochip

Did I just see Sofia Lamb in the Burial At Sea trailer?

I'm glad they didn't just erase Bioshock 2's story from existence. I really liked it

Nori Chan

I like how people are complaining about "thank god I didn't buy the season pass" and will buy both the buried at sea dlc....that means you would pay the same amount as the season pass

w2g

TimeInc

I the Clash In The Clouds stuff available now in the UK, when I load up the game it says there's no downloadable content.

Andrew.

Banned
I have a feeling the wait between episodes of Burial at Sea will be way more excruciating than the wait for the initial DLC announcement.

ultron87

I like how people are complaining about "thank god I didn't buy the season pass" and will buy both the buried at sea dlc....that means you would pay the same amount as the season pass

w2g

Giving someone money up front for a season pass is always a bad idea. We can still buy the Season Pass right now and didn't give anyone money blindly.

Guevara

Well I'm disappointed. 2&3 sound great, but I probably won't even download horde mode.

Also I wanted more Columbia.

Toxi

Banned
I hope we get a proper
Songbird boss fight
in the DLC.

But something tells me that we won't. One of the worst parts of the game for me.

Ken Levine interview about Burial at Sea:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-30-ken-levine-talks-bioshock-infinite-burial-at-sea

w2g

They'll pay 10 dollars more, actually. People should still wait for details before buying it though. I'm buying it now because now I know it's worth it.

Toxi

Banned
I think "rapture" should be removed from the thread title.

Some people haven't played the game.
DLC doesn't have to take place in the game's setting. A DLC can take place in Rapture even if Bioshock Infinite took place in Columbia.

Ironically, your comment is more spoiler-y than the thread title. :)

Gorillaz

So instead of tapping more into the mudded up story of the vox revolution and try to fix it up, they made a rapture based DLC?

This series redines the phrase missed oppurtunities

-GJ-

w2g
They actually pay 800 MSP, or 10 bucks more, and then they miss out on the 400 MSP/10 dollar horde DLC too (that you could consider being free of charge).

Mrbob

w2g

You would pay more.

Waiting for full details to emerge is a good thing. Blindly giving companies money when you have no idea what you will get in return is not.

Xpliskin

DLC doesn't have to take place in the game's setting. A DLC can take place in Rapture even if Bioshock Infinite took place in Columbia.

Ironically, your comment is more spoiler-y than the thread title. :)

We're in the DLC thread -> what's down the pipeline after you beat the game.
This is spoiler territory.

The thread title is more public, you don't have to enter the thread to potentially get spoiled.

Thank Lord Comstock for this gift upon mankind. For we are now privileged enough to be one of the few to be able to play actual DLC that is made with love and the rightful attention at the hands of Ken Levine.

AMEN.

Probably already discussed here but there was a lot of theorising around (Infinite spoilers)
the fact that Booker could use the Bathyspheres and they were only usable by people with certain DNA or some such crazy stuff. That lead people to say "BOOKER IS ANDREW RYAN"
at the time I thought that was dumb and didn't mean anything but maybe Ken and then team are exploring this idea?

Can't stop watching the Burial at Sea trailer. It's so good to finally see pre collapse Rapture. It's the one thing I've been hoping for since the first time I played Bioshock, can't believe it's finally happening.

Neiteio

Probably already discussed here but there was a lot of theorising around (Infinite spoilers)
the fact that Booker could use the Bathyspheres and they were only usable by people with certain DNA or some such crazy stuff. That lead people to say "BOOKER IS ANDREW RYAN"
at the time I thought that was dumb and didn't mean anything but maybe Ken and then team are exploring this idea?
I very much doubt it, because the trailer clearly establishes who Booker is in Rapture -- a private investigator.

But there is no shame!

I kid, I kid.
I'm not judging!

Well, this does seem to explain that connection which we saw at the end. It must mean that he's probably a distant blood related relative of Andrew Ryan which is why he's able to use it.

ultron87

Speculation with Infinite Spoilers:
I'm wondering how a Booker with the same general history as the one in Infinite would even be active in 1958. It seems like he is an established detective in Rapture, so having been pulled out of a previous time period seems less likely.

I mean he could certainly be an entirely different character with a different set of circumstances who just happens to still have a daughter named Elizabeth who looks like that, but that seems... weird.

DukeBobby

Oh God, Burial at Sea looks so good. Hope it's a good length (5-6 hours or so).

Clash in the Clouds sounds completely uninteresting, though.

Reule

Wow, great news to wake up to. I'm glad I bought the Season Pass as I knew there'd at least be something worthwhile out of it. I'm not even bugged about the horde mode as I did have fun with the combat.

Speculation with Infinite Spoilers:
I'm wondering how a Booker with the same general history as the one in Infinite would even be active in 1958. It seems like he is an established detective in Rapture, so having been pulled out of a previous time period seems less likely.

I mean he could certainly be an entirely different character with a different set of circumstances who just happens to still have a daughter named Elizabeth who looks like that, but that seems... weird.

I'm under the impression that it's Elizabeth being older past the Infinite timeline where everything got fixed. Constants and variables. There's still a chance that there's a timeline where she still doesn't have her finger and thus it's possible that Booker exists in this timeline where she grew up alongside him in that universe.

AJ_Wings

I hope there are actual mechanics that reinforce the whole "noir detective story" vibe they're going for instead of slogging through a linear corridor shooter for about 3 or 4 hours.

Definitely intrigued.

Infinite spoilers:

Burial at Sea needs to end with the binary choice of "Commit incest" and "Commit incest with no shame," followed by a half-hour cutscene.

So then Booker Black Bars the Black Bar causing Elizabeth to Black Bar

God how dark would that be? Do they dare? I mean Booker and Elizabeth's personalities/demeanor will be slightly different I suppose.
Imagine an ending choice where you can reveal yourself as her father or decide to hide the truth and have sex with her taking advantage of her vulnerable state.

Top Bottom