• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Deku Tree

Ok I bought the BioShock Infinite Season Pass from BB with RZ credit.

Now I am supposed to get the Early Bird Special Pack. This bonus pack contains a Machine Gun Damage Upgrade, a Pistol Damage Upgrade, a gold skin for both weapons and five Infusion bottles.

Here are my questions: Can anyone tell me do I get these extra "five Infusion bottles" in every new game that I play? Or just in one new game? I just started a new game and I didn't get them yet. Does anyone know when in the game I will get the extra "five Infusion bottles"? Thanks!

So, finally have time to write up my review of the game. I'll do a positive and negative sections, and the negative will include what I'd like to see for Irrational's next game, or possibly the DLC. No one's probably going to read this. Oh well.

Positives:
1. Obviously the world. I'm really late with this review (just got done with finals), so I probably won't say anything that's already been said. I loved Columbia. I think the thing I loved most about it was the colors. So many; so pretty! It feels lived in. The variety of locations is fantastic. I can remember almost every place the player visits.
2. That
point where you board the blimp and take it down.
HOLY SHIT! One of my favorite moments in gaming from this generation. It's one of the most exhilarating moments I've ever played in a game. I wish there were more moments like that, but that's really unique, and if we took down
more than one, it'd probably lose its luster
. Though one small critique I have about the section is that Booker
says, "I need to figure out a way to destroy its engine core" too many times.
3. The story. While I do have some small nitpicks such as lingering questions about tiny moments where I feel the story didn't adequately explain itself, it's definitely one of my favorite stories in gaming. Maybe my favorite. I remember while playing it the first time, after
Old Elizabeth sends you back in time, I was fucking PUMPED to free Elizabeth from those torture devices.
4. The gameplay. Now, obviously not everyone is going to agree on this, but I personally loved it. There are some tweaks I would make, which I will detail below, but ultimately I thought it was a lot of fun. I posted this as soon as I finished the game, but I think Infinite is more fun than BioShock simply because it's more fun to play. The gunplay is great, the vigors are A LOT of fun. Add in sky-lines, sky-hooks, and tears, and it's just a wonderful sandbox.
5. The sound design. The best in any game I've ever played. It's so great. As someone who primarily does sound-work for her job, I can really appreciate it. It's so good that times where it falls below its great quality are really noticeable, like when
you have that blimp Comstock brought down near the beginning, the siren doesn't fade away too well
, but those moments are few and far between each other.
6. Songbird's a badass, and so was that
guy with the horns coming out of his head.
Hopefully we learn more about them in the DLC.
7. The Lutece twins!
8. UI is intuitive, though the menu can take too long to load for my tastes. Never felt like I had to search for anything.

Negatives/What I would've liked to see:
1. For all that I love the gameplay, I think it could use some improvements. I know that Shawn has said he took some inspiration from Halo, so this kind of flows from that and something I said earlier. I'd like to see greater audio and visual (visual especially) feedback for when we're shooting enemies. I want to be able to tell how close I am to killing them without looking at a healthbar – and this applies to enemies across the board, from lowly guys who rush at you with melee weapons to Handymen. Give better visual feedback, and you won't need healthbars, and better yet, you won't need to include hitmarkers, because the player will be able to tell her bullets are hitting from the visual feedback. Also, more vigor-specific enemies! The fireman and crowmen were a lot of fun. Can we have an electricity guy? One more thing: I don't like randomized gear. I get what Irrational was trying to do, but it would've been better to have them set so you can better plan out your play-style.

I'll put a subpoint about the checkpoint system here. I don't like it. I don't like the "die and come back to life to have enemies as they were" mechanic, even if it does fit in to the story. I feel like I'm cheating the encounters, and every time I die I'm always tempted to just restart at the last checkpoint. But I don't want to do that because the last checkpoint could've been twenty minutes ago.
2. While I really liked
the element the Vox Populi brought to the game in the form of an uprising and a city tearing itself apart,
I do agree with others that they do feel like they were just added in. Like you could lose them and nothing significant would change.
3. Given the
multiverse thing
going on in the game, I would've actually really liked to have
teamed up with Slate to kick some ass instead of fighting him. He could've dispensed relevant story information as an ally. I think that would've gone down a lot better seeing as how everyone else in the game is an enemy. Would've been awesome!
4. More variety in exposition moments. Anytime you were in an elevator, you knew Elizabeth was going to say something for the story.
5. More variety in sidequests! Most of them involve grabbing thing at point A and bringing it back to Point B.
6. Although I do love it, sometimes I thought the game mechanic of finding things in crates, boxes, and those things got in the way of story moments that required the player to rush. For example,
when chasing after Eilzabeth in Finkton docks, I was afraid I was missing something by rushing passed any crates in chasing after her, so I slowed down to make sure I didn't miss anything.
7. I thought the final battle wasn't a good culmination of all the gameplay mechanics. Using
the Songbird was fantastic, but I would have preferred to not defend the core.
8. Puzzles. Puzzles. Puzzles! I want puzzles. It seems like a waste that, due to the presence of vigors, we don't have any puzzles. They're perfect to manipulate the environment with! Make puzzles a priority in the DLC, please.
9. The
Ghost of Lady Comstock
fights on 1999 mode are incredibly frustrating.

I think that's everything. Best game I've played in years.

Tawpgun

Finished 1999 today as well. This game was an amazing experience.

Red Dead Redemption was my obvious choice for Game of the Generation, but this might overtake it.

I thought the combat was near perfect, despite what people say.
The story had some weird moments, like why everyone wants to talk in riddles instead of giving me the answer... but it still worked.
I loved the non-combat moments just taking in the environment or talking to Elizabeth.

And the sandbox arena fights. Downtown Emporia. So awesome.

How long did everyone spend, in regards to taking everything in before the combat begun?

I think I spent 1-1 and a half hours, just enjoying the atmosphere.

Also good to hear Dax and Tawp.

FINALLY finished it on Cinco de Mayo. Wow. First, that ending was one of the best I've seen. The story is weak in the middle, but once you
have to rescue Elizabeth and travel across universes, it's awesome.

However, the difficulty spikes were very unfortunate. I played through on hard, almost until the end, until
Lady Fucking Comstock. I set it to easy to kill her, then raised it to medium, and then set it back to easy for the songbird defense mission. I would rather fight Hulk Fontaine than defend the songbird one more time. Plus, I hated the handy men and sniper rifle enemies. I only died on the handy men because I ran out of ammo and couldn't find a replacement gun. I even killed the second handymen on my first try until Liz bugged up and I couldn't progress. Then he kicked my ass because shocking him does no good.

Well, otherwise, the gunplay and vigors are pretty awesome, especially in the middle and right before
Lady Comstock.
My favorite vigors were shock jockey (by far), charge, bucking bronco, and murder of crows. Barely got to use undertow and return to sender (sigh). My favorite gear combo was Storm, Blood to Salt, and Overkill. Good lord, I was unstoppable until the endgame.

Returning to the story.
It's true they really shifted from religious fundamentalism at the beginning to quantum mechanics by the end, but I'm glad they played the religious angle with Liz being the new Comstock (but I thought I was Comstock? Lol wut, I have to figure that one out). I also like the Vox Populi rebellion because it felt so realistic, like in Russia or China. The whole Finkton area is probably the best gameplay-wise. Lastly, I'm disappointed the songbird didn't play a bigger role until the end. Both he and Comstock were way too behind the shadows for main antagonists.

I really enjoyed the whole game, besides the difficulty. I recommend playing the first half on hard and the second on medium.

Cystm

ijIbFqLB0vn4x.png

At this point I personally do not care, but this game is still new enough to where a lot of people will.

Always a good idea to check the FAQ forum when in doubt. It actually covers this.

TimeInc

I finally about to do the last part on 1999 mode on like my 15th attempt and my ps3 froze. God does not want me to finish this game.

Bollocks

Man, it's still £35 on amazon, I thought it will bomb hard so no need to buy it at launch, be smart and buy it for £25 in 2 weeks, so much for that plan ._.

TimeInc

Woo. Finally did it. got myself the platinum trophy, not as hard as I thought it would be, Only 2-3 fights that were trouble.

Blader

Started up the game today to try and power through what I think is the ending -- "Game Error: Cannot authorize disc". Shuts down. Disc is suddenly unreadable.

Does anyone know what this is/any way to fix it? I googled for answers but all the links were for pirated versions of the game, nothing dealing with a legit retail disc having this problem.

Also tried caching and now the game won't even boot up at all before going to an error screen, it's just unreadable from the beginning.

t-ramp

Started up the game today to try and power through what I think is the ending -- "Game Error: Cannot authorize disc". Shuts down. Disc is suddenly unreadable.

Does anyone know what this is/any way to fix it? I googled for answers but all the links were for pirated versions of the game, nothing dealing with a legit retail disc having this problem.

Also tried caching and now the game won't even boot up at all before going to an error screen, it's just unreadable from the beginning.
I accidentally flipped my Xbox over with Assassin's Creed 1 in it a couple years ago. Must have scratched the disc, since I couldn't load the game after that. Had the local library buff the disc, and was good to go.

Do other games work okay?

Deku Tree

1999 mode is too easy IMO. I admit that I'm not that far into the game yet, and it is my second play through, and I got 100% on Bioshock 1 & 2. But so far I am finding Infinite's 1999 mode to be not that hard at all.

I also posted this in the Bioshock Infinite spoiler thread.

In need of some advice fellas.

On my second 1999 playthrough, and
first lady comstock fight
is kicking my ass, I can't seem to beat her. Strangely enough, I beat her without much trouble first time through. The major problem is the save that loads is right before going to the fight and I don't have enough money to buy the expensive charge aid, just the cheap boost. There's no way to scavenge enough before the fight, so I can't spam the charge exploit. I have the gear that grants temporary invincibility with snacks/health packs.

So what's the best way to beat her otherwise? I can have bronco and crows upgraded, and keep her minions busy with that, but i'm still finding it super difficult. Sigh... I'm about to give up on this playthrough to be honest.

As an aside, I fucking despise the save system in this game.

Deku Tree

In need of some advice fellas.

On my second 1999 playthrough, and
first lady comstock fight
is kicking my ass, I can't seem to beat her. Strangely enough, I beat her without much trouble first time through. The major problem is the save that loads is right before going to the fight and I don't have enough money to buy the expensive charge aid, just the cheap boost. There's no way to scavenge enough before the fight, so I can't spam the charge exploit. I have the gear that grants temporary invincibility with snacks/health packs.

So what's the best way to beat her otherwise? I can have bronco and crows upgraded, and keep her minions busy with that, but i'm still finding it super difficult. Sigh... I'm about to give up on this playthrough to be honest.

As an aside, I fucking despise the save system in this game.

Can't you restart at a slightly earlier checkpoint to scavenge? I thought you could do that..

Just platinummed the game! Last trophy was find all infusions. Had 3 playthroughs in total. Great game, can't wait for the dlc to come out.

Blader

I accidentally flipped my Xbox over with Assassin's Creed 1 in it a couple years ago. Must have scratched the disc, since I couldn't load the game after that. Had the local library buff the disc, and was good to go.

Do other games work okay?

Yeah. I tried cleaning it but that did nothing.

So I just went to a Redbox nearby and got a new disc to finish it today. :lol

pargonta

I suppose that's doable, yeah. Just wondering if there was a good strategy I wasn't using.

you can arrange the weapons for easy access at the main elevated boardwalk... like go to the crank gun and equip and then go to the boardwalk and swap it so it's on the ground there... for easy access. staying on the main boardwalk near the wall is sort of a nice place to stay imo. so then you have say a hand cannon and volley gun equipped, shotgun and crank gun right next to you. might have a shot.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Wasn't the amazon credit supposed to let me buy the dlc/seasons pass after a month or something? I thought I saw a post from Tony on cag or reddit saying something to that effect. I'm going to buy it regardless, but I'd like to use that 2k credit because I see nothing else that I want to buy right now.

Deku Tree

Where's my DLC Levine?! :mad:

;_;

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...-s-voice-actress-talks-bioshock-infinite-dlc/

Not good news for the speed of the DLC.

As part of Gameranx's exclusive interview with Courtnee Draper, Elizabeth Comstock's voice actress in BioShock Infinite, she commented on Irrational's plans for DLC for Infinite.

Asked what the game's DLC might be or if she has any clue as to when it will be released she stated "Honestly, I know as much as you do. I know that there is going to be some DLCs that come out, but I honestly don't know when we're going to record it, let alone the actual content! I'm sure they are starting to get back into it now but I haven't heard anything yet. So, your guess is as good as mine!"

It has been suggested that the first BioShock Infinite DLC will exclude Elizabeth in favour or a new sidekick for Booker DeWitt which may explain why Draper has not yet been contacted to reprise her role.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
this game is soooo boring. Reached
Lady Comstock
and I can't believe that the same team made my favourite game of all times.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Done two playthroughs now, first on medium and second on 1999 mode. Enjoyed the story on medium, enjoyed the mechanics/achievements a lot more on 1999 mode. 1999 Mode had me switching gear and using vigors in some interesting ways to get out of situations where I had barely any ammo. Went through 1999 mode without using the Dollar Bill store either which was actually pretty fun. Perfectly content with the game being a shooter and actually wish they put in a few more interesting weapons/vigors or put more thought into the combat. I loved the story, Irrational should definitely continue to focus on that too, better combat would still be awesome.

Biggest letdown: No aesthetic changes to weapons as you upgrade them.

Got 5 achievements left at this point, and the biggest ones are getting the last 3 voxophones, and 2 telescopes/kinteoscopes that I am missing. Am I going to have to start another playthrough just to get the missing ones or can I load up a chapter and grab the ones I am missing?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
System Shock 2 or Bioshock? Because I think the gameplay is far improved over Bioshock. Still very scripted though.

Bioshock.

How your gun feels =/= gameplay. Both SS2 and Bioshock had many scripted moments and encounters so that's not a complaint too. Infinite is a corridor shooter with preset enemies in various "stages", 0 exploration, 0 stealth, no respawning, no ecosystem = bleh gameplay all around for me.

also this is relevant

tumblr_mlgukh14cl1rxmn3vo1_1280.jpg

Deku Tree

Bioshock.

How your gun feels =/= gameplay. Both SS2 and Bioshock had many scripted moments and encounters so that's not a complaint too. Infinite is a corridor shooter with preset enemies in various "stages", 0 exploration, 0 stealth, no respawning, no ecosystem = bleh gameplay all around for me.

You don't have to like the game, or the way different gameplay elements are implemented but...

The game has a lot of exploration elements - looking for voxphones, looking for sightseer terminals, just generally looking around. The entire intro sequence can take you several hours if you want to explore everything.

You may not have realized it, but the game also does has stealth elements if you choose to try to be stealthy. Several enemies can be avoided by being "stealthy" all throughout the game if you choose to play the game that way.

Not sure what you mean by "no respawning". You do get to wake up from death after getting charged a few silver eagles for it. And enemies in certain areas do comeback, or new enemies appear in their place even after you have cleared an area. If they always came back a lot of the other gameplay elements would also need to be modified.

No ecosystem? Not sure what you are looking for... If you don't like the game, don't like the game.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Finished Infinite 100%, all achievements, three playthroughs. Good game but completely sick of it after going through it three times in two weeks.

In case anyone was curious: You can load up checkpoints and pick up your missing voxophones/kinetoscopes and all that. Good luck figuring out which ones you missed though.

Deku Tree

Just finished my 1999 mode run. Got all voxphones, all vigors, all infusions and all sightseers. I didn't use any dollar bill machines. Achievements are still only at 77%. Probably not going to go for the Platinum right now. Some of those trophies are just too weird.

I got this game out from Red Box and I've been playing quite a bit. I think I'm almost done. I have a big problem though: the save system. The first time I played for about four hours, and when I returned my game picked up perfectly. I played for another hour and left it. However, the next time I tried to play I had to replay a bunch of it to get caught back up. The checkpoint/saving system is just awful. I'm going to finish off the rest of the game in one go tonight (I'm at Emporia) just so I don't have to deal with this. I have to rekill
lady comstock, for some reason the game did not checkpoint after even though I had already found 1/3 tears.
Quite annoying!

Deku Tree

I got this game out from Red Box and I've been playing quite a bit. I think I'm almost done. I have a big problem though: the save system. The first time I played for about four hours, and when I returned my game picked up perfectly. I played for another hour and left it. However, the next time I tried to play I had to replay a bunch of it to get caught back up. The checkpoint/saving system is just awful. I'm going to finish off the rest of the game in one go tonight (I'm at Emporia) just so I don't have to deal with this. I have to rekill
lady comstock, for some reason the game did not checkpoint after even though I had already found 1/3 tears.
Quite annoying!

Sounds like a checkpoint glitch. What platform are you playing on? I am on PS3 and I got a checkpoint after that even on 1999 mode.

Deku Tree

Just finished my 1999 mode run. Got all voxphones, all vigors, all infusions and all sightseers. I didn't use any dollar bill machines. Achievements are still only at 77%. Probably not going to go for the Platinum right now. Some of those trophies are just too weird.

I lied. I just Platinum'd Bioshock Infinite. It is amazing how many youtube videos there are out there by people trying to help you to find the easiest way to get all the weird achievements.

I've never played Bioshock before besides a demo of 1 and 2. BS infinite is on sale at amazon for $39.99 and i can get it at bestbuy for $30 with a price match. Is this game worth for someone who's not too familiar with the series?

Pakkidis

I've never played Bioshock before besides a demo of 1 and 2. BS infinite is on sale at amazon for $39.99 and i can get it at bestbuy for $30 with a price match. Is this game worth for someone who's not too familiar with the series?

I would say so. If you are going to spend 30$ you might as well get bioshock 1+2.

Overall I would say Bioshock 1 is better than infinite however you can't go wrong no matter what you get.

Vyer

Anyone have any issues with the newest Nvidia drivers? I have a GTX 660 and after the update I was playing Bioshock and the graphics went apeshit when a certain event happened.
Elizabeth opening a 'tear'

DatDude

Banned

Of course. There's no connection to the previous games, so this would be a fine entry point.

If you enjoy great atmospheric games, with a great captivating narrative, than this should be a no brainer!

Going to read through more of this thread once I'm done with the game - from what I gather I'm about 2/3s to 3/4s of the way through. For a good while it was very well paced, but I'm at the point where I feel it's started to drag a bit. Not that I want it to end necessarily.

One wonderful thing I've enjoyed is the
Fink/Finkerton
being directly inspired by
. Don't know if the parallels extend beyond that area, but one definitely reminds me of the other, either intentional or not. Haven't read any post-mortems yet obviously, so I don't know if this gets touched upon.

I would say so. If you are going to spend 30$ you might as well get bioshock 1+2.

Overall I would say Bioshock 1 is better than infinite however you can't go wrong no matter what you get.

I just realised it comes with Bioshock 1 for the PS3 version. Also just realised Tomb Raider is on sale too. Ugh. Which one to choose.

Top Bottom